PDA

View Full Version : Worst US President?

Neo Emolga
11-07-2004, 06:59 PM
I've heard a lot of people say that Bush is possibly the worst president ever. While I do acknowledge that they are just expressing their opinion, I don't think he is the worst. I cracked open a history book and I have my feelings set on who I think was the worst.

You may not think it, but I think Andrew Jackson is quite possibly the worst president the US ever had. What he did to the Native Americans was sickening, treating them like dirt. And if that wasn't bad enough, the worst part was reading that he was actually proud of what he was doing. But even that, he was extremely aggresive and very quick to anger, which sometimes resulted in him killing another person.

Read more (http://www.synaptic.bc.ca/ejournal/jackson.htm) if you'd like, but I'm sure you'll find that when you compare Bush to Jackson, Bush certainly doesn't seem that bad.

In your opinion, what US president do you think was the worst?

Steven
11-07-2004, 07:23 PM
Personally I think Richard Nixon's watergate scandal made him one of the worse, and Bill Clinton was pretty bad... I mean he lied to america and he had an affair in office. I would definitely not want some president that was like that. Kerry is a jerk off imo, and bush won because he was better than kerry, obviously. :rolleyes:

Dragonair
11-07-2004, 09:26 PM
and Bill Clinton was pretty bad... I mean he lied to america and he had an affair in office.

And that's worse than a man who outright lied about Weapons of Mass Destruction then used the CIA as a scapegoat. Riggggggggggght.

Herbert Hoover was pretty terrible, while the American (not to mention the World) economy was crumbling he kept saying the economy would fix itself while the problem kept on getting worse and worse. Luckily the American people were smart enough to see through the BS and vote in FDR.

Under Ronald Reagan's watch the US Government ran up huge deficits, handed chemical and biological to Iraq and funded Osama Bin Laden. Had he done that twenty years later he would be on trial for treason (actually if he didn't have Alzheimers that wouldn't have been a bad idea.)

Andrew Jackson... well with the atrocities he commited. Will someone remind me why this dickwad's on the American $20 bill?

Give Dubya another four years and I'll bet he'll have a seat reserved in hell next to these guys.

Alakazam
11-07-2004, 10:40 PM
Hmmm...a very interesting topic, Neo. I concur with you in the notion that Andrew Jackson was certainly a worse president than George W. Bush, and possibly the worst we've ever had.

However, I still maintain that Bush is one of the worst presidents we've ever had, though he's decidedly doen better than Jackson ever did. He's spread American Ethnocentrism, and leading to the decay of Democracy and our rights with such legislation as the Patriot Act.

And Steven, though Clinton may not have been a great president, he was definately much better than Bush, given credence by the fact that the biggest complain people seem to have agaisnt him is that he lied about his sexual life...Bush lied about his political life, and thousands died because of it? Which is worse? You decide.

Tamer Marco
11-07-2004, 10:55 PM
It's pretty much a tie between Nixon and Andrew Jackson. Can't choose though. =/

Alakazam
11-07-2004, 10:59 PM
Meh, IMO, Nixon was better than Bush...the Iraq War was a MUCH bigger mistake than Watergate.

Tamer Marco
11-07-2004, 11:27 PM
It was? I had no idea. <_<

Alakazam
11-07-2004, 11:34 PM
Do you disagree? Please share your thoughts with us on the topic.

Dragonair
11-07-2004, 11:54 PM
Well did anyone die over Watergate?

Jack of Clovers
11-07-2004, 11:54 PM
i heard Taft was the worst. he didn't do anything while in office. he does hold the record as first President in a car (i think). oh, and they had to replace the white house tub with a larger one so he could fit. i guess those are important. :susp: :oops:

~Jack~

Matthew
11-08-2004, 06:36 AM
Interesting topic indeed.

HEre is a list of presidents, 5 best, and 5 worst, according to C-SPAN.

BEST
1. Abraham Lincoln
Obvious... emancipation of the slaves... strong leadership/oracle skills during , probably, the darkest hours of the US's history.

1. Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Wow.... the best president in my opinion! He created numerous programs to bring the people of the nation to at least some level of functioning during the Great Depression, and he lead our nation in WWII during his 3 terms as president.

1. George Washington
Mainly because he refused to turn America into another monarchy be declining an offer to be King of America. He basically created this democracy. Strong leader, etc.

4. Theodore Roosevelt
5. Harry S. Truman

5 Worst:

39. Warren G. Harding
40. William Henry Harrison
41. Andrew Johnson
42. Franklin Pierce
43. James Buchanan

Heh... I do think that Buchanan is the worst president.

Tamer Marco
11-09-2004, 02:43 PM
Interesting topic indeed.

HEre is a list of presidents, 5 best, and 5 worst, according to C-SPAN.

BEST
1. Abraham Lincoln
Obvious... emancipation of the slaves... strong leadership/oracle skills during , probably, the darkest hours of the US's history.

1. Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Wow.... the best president in my opinion! He created numerous programs to bring the people of the nation to at least some level of functioning during the Great Depression, and he lead our nation in WWII during his 3 terms as president.

1. George Washington
Mainly because he refused to turn America into another monarchy be declining an offer to be King of America. He basically created this democracy. Strong leader, etc.

4. Theodore Roosevelt
5. Harry S. Truman

5 Worst:

39. Warren G. Harding
40. William Henry Harrison
41. Andrew Johnson
42. Franklin Pierce
43. James Buchanan

Heh... I do think that Buchanan is the worst president. Uh, Abraham Lincolon wasn't really trying to free the slaves. He was trying to ship them to South America.

Alakazam
11-09-2004, 03:21 PM
Yeah, Lincoln is very misunderstood in today's world. From the year 2004 he looks like a saint, but he was far from it. He was certainly not our best president.

Tamer Marco
11-09-2004, 03:23 PM
Yeah, Lincoln is very misunderstood in today's world. From the year 2004 he looks like a saint, but he was far from it. He was certainly not our best president. That's why I hate that little butt monkey. I would probably be in Brazil if he got his way. >=E

Matthew
11-29-2004, 06:43 AM
Uh, Abraham Lincolon wasn't really trying to free the slaves. He was trying to ship them to South America.

Really? Where did you get that information from? My AP US History teacher never mentioned that.... and it wasn't even mentioned in our text books which was a college level text book.

mlugia
11-30-2004, 07:17 PM
A bit off topic, but a lot of Japanese textbooks don't acknowledge the Japanese Massacre at Nanjing (China) in WW2, so...

Matthew
12-01-2004, 03:37 AM
A bit off topic, but a lot of Japanese textbooks don't acknowledge the Japanese Massacre at Nanjing (China) in WW2, so...

Your reffering to the disagreement that Marco and I are having... right?

Anyway... I beleive something of that caliber would be common knowledge...

Alakazam
12-01-2004, 11:59 AM
...and some textbooks used in schools in the southern part of the US say that the Confederacy didn't lose the Civil War >_< :silenced: :ermm:

ashkelon
12-01-2004, 03:04 PM
Your reffering to the disagreement that Marco and I are having... right?

Anyway... I beleive something of that caliber would be common knowledge...
Well, it is. I mean, look at the history of Liberia. Freeing the slaves was an incidental for most people. It made a good battle cry up north, but nobody exactly wanted "them" moving in next door or dating their daughter. The "clean", "tidy" solution was expatriation, especially to africa. South america was a cheaper alternative, and already had a "native" population.

Political spin like that makes me wanna barf. "Free the slaves", yeah, and when they get "inconvienient", just send 'em back to africa to play "Survivor".

http://personal.denison.edu/~waite/liberia/history/roye.htm
http://uncpress.unc.edu/chapters/andrews_north.html

This one is dead on point, and includes quotes from Lincoln's speeches.

http://www.mrlincolnandfreedom.org/content_inside.asp?ID=34&subjectID=3

King Kangaskhan
12-02-2004, 12:07 AM
...and some textbooks used in schools in the southern part of the US say that the Confederacy didn't lose the Civil War >_< :silenced: :ermm:

I don't really believe this.

As for Lincoln, I don't really know if he was trying to send slaves to South America. I don't see why he would want to do that. But the reason for starting the Civil War wasn't for freeing the slaves. He wanted the South to come back. Also, after he issued the Emancipation Procalmation, it wasn't like the slaves were freed that day. The slave owners didn't care and the slaves didn't know about it and Lincoln didn't do anything about it. And even when they got out, blacks were still not considered equal to white, so it was a big accomplishment, but not a gigantic one.

LolJolteonMaster
12-02-2004, 01:57 AM
Personally I think Richard Nixon's watergate scandal made him one of the worse, and Bill Clinton was pretty bad... I mean he lied to america and he had an affair in office. I would definitely not want some president that was like that. Kerry is a jerk off imo, and bush won because he was better than kerry, obviously. :rolleyes:

Phooey to Bill Clinton! Yay to Bush! Conservative Bush good, Liberal Clinton bad! Kudos to me!

Alakazam
12-02-2004, 02:01 AM
Phooey to Bill Clinton! Yay to Bush! Conservative Bush good, Liberal Clinton bad! Kudos to me!

LolJolteonMaster, this is the Other Discussion board. Please post meaningfully. Either explain yourself or post in the OC instead.

LolJolteonMaster
12-02-2004, 03:01 AM
I'm sorry. I don't like Clinton because he lied and cheated America.

Alakazam
12-02-2004, 03:46 AM
I'm sorry. I don't like Clinton because he lied and cheated America.

Clinton lied about his personal life.

Bush lied about weapons of mass destrucion, and started a war.

Which do you think is worse?

Kenny_C.002
12-02-2004, 03:53 AM
Clinton lied about his personal life.

Bush lied about weapons of mass destrucion, and started a war.

Which do you think is worse?

lol Clinton's all about the affairs and infidelity while Bush is about illegal wars (by UN standards). I'm sure many can pick out the worst of the two.

silver
12-02-2004, 08:14 PM
ok if i were you dont look at text books there lies and always want to be poloticly correct 2 jimmy carter was the worst president ever he caused 9/11 he let the sha of iran they were good be destroyed khomeni took over they were bad then the russians took over afganistan that created a conflict wich made them go nuts they want radicle so then they destroyed the twin towers and destroyed part of the pentagon if i were you for good info watch fox news ore msnbc for real stuff also clinten stinks most people dont know how he was impeached i dont want to say how cause its inapropriat and i would be baneed clinton also could have kiled binladen when sudan had him but clinten didnt take him *caughfdemocrats suck*caughf

Seven
12-02-2004, 08:34 PM
ok if i were you dont look at text books there lies and always want to be poloticly correct 2 jimmy carter was the worst president ever he caused 9/11 he let the sha of iran they were good be destroyed khomeni took over they were bad then the russians took over afganistan that created a conflict wich made them go nuts they want radicle so then they destroyed the twin towers and destroyed part of the pentagon if i were you for good info watch fox news ore msnbc for real stuff also clinten stinks most people dont know how he was impeached i dont want to say how cause its inapropriat and i would be baneed clinton also could have kiled binladen when sudan had him but clinten didnt take him *caughfdemocrats suck*caughf

Hi! I'm sure you didn't know this, but the Mixed Languages Board is over here (http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23) :).

I don't know much of the policies of the American presidents, but I'll tell you one thing. A good president, is a president who has the people standing behind him, and who is internationally respected. When Clinton was pres, this was the case. Everyone in Europe was pro-US back then. >_> Now that Bush is president, we all dislike//hate the US politics. That fact alone makes Bush a bad president x_x. [( Well, that, and his lies about WMD, his arrogant attitude, his inability to seperate church and state...)]

Matthew
12-03-2004, 01:34 AM
Hi! I'm sure you didn't know this, but the Mixed Languages Board is over here (http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23) :).

I don't know much of the policies of the American presidents, but I'll tell you one thing. A good president, is a president who has the people standing behind him, and who is internationally respected. When Clinton was pres, this was the case. Everyone in Europe was pro-US back then. >_> Now that Bush is president, we all dislike//hate the US politics. That fact alone makes Bush a bad president x_x. [( Well, that, and his lies about WMD, his arrogant attitude, his inability to seperate church and state...)]

You only have to live with it for another 4 years... so get over it.

Seven
12-03-2004, 12:54 PM
You only have to live with it for another 4 years... so get over it.

Look, I think you misunderstood what I'm trying to say. I don't care who the pres of the US is, it's not my leader anyway. What I'm trying to say is that a good pres per defintion has the majority of ALL people standing behind him ( and I mean like, 90%). That's what makes a good pres.

ANd the lack of that, is what makes a bad president. So what I want to say is, that the president who divides the people more than any president before him, is the worst president...

Wich does has nothing to do with their policies, I have no clue who'd be the worst president if you'd include those.

Neo Emolga
12-03-2004, 02:57 PM
I think the policy is a higher key factor here. People may dislike a running presidential canidate during the elections, but their beliefs can be turned around if the president makes good choices and strategic decisions. With that, he may be able to convince those who didn't vote for him to maybe change their original perception of him.

And the same works the other way around. A presidential canidate may conquer his competition during the election, but then he in turn could put a really lousy policy into play. Also, do the ends justify the means? That should be considered before you decide which president failed to be justifed and honorable when leading this country.

Matthew
12-04-2004, 07:23 AM
Look, I think you misunderstood what I'm trying to say. I don't care who the pres of the US is, it's not my leader anyway. What I'm trying to say is that a good pres per defintion has the majority of ALL people standing behind him ( and I mean like, 90%). That's what makes a good pres.

ANd the lack of that, is what makes a bad president. So what I want to say is, that the president who divides the people more than any president before him, is the worst president...

Wich does has nothing to do with their policies, I have no clue who'd be the worst president if you'd include those.

I was talking about your/your country's feelings towards Bush... I perfectlly understood you.

Eh.... not many presidents have that much support.... I don't even think that Clinton had that much support.... maybe alot... but that would be near impossible.... 90%? dang.

By the way you make it sound.... a good president is only one that has like, in your own words, "the majority of ALL people standing behind him ( and I mean like, 90%)." Well... let's look at the statistics:

According to CSPAN, Harding holds the 40th spot on the presidential rankings from best to worst. He has the following scores in the following areas according to CSPAN's sources:

http://www.americanpresidents.org/survey/viewer/28.asp

As you can see, he ranks very low in every category that they ranked the presidents in. But you want to hear my point... don't you?

When elected president, he held at least 75% of the electoral votes, signifying that he had to have at least a great majority of the popular vote, meaning the first time he ran, he had a great many people supporting him... until he screwed up...

My point being, you can't judge a pres how good he is, just because he has a large amount of his people supporting him.

I can't stand people who say that Baby Bush is the worst president because he lied about the WMD and invaded Iraq... there have been far more many worst presidents. And LJM... Clinton was not a bad president at all.... I actually liked the guy. He had great people skills, skills I feel are important to have when president. And I am a republican for crying out loud!

I''m not saying Bush is the greatest.... I can't even stand the guy.... And the only reason I supported him in this election is because I couldn't stand Kerry even more. My veiws sided with Bush, so he received my support. Enough of that.

I hope you see my point.... I didn't research that for nothing XD...

Alakazam
12-04-2004, 05:11 PM
Yeah, I can see what you mean, Matt. If you hold many of the same beliefs as Bush, than it only makes sense that you support him. I just happen to not hold many of the same beliefs as he does.

Metal Mario
12-28-2004, 10:15 PM
I think Nixon cause he always spied on people

Sudo
12-29-2004, 05:18 PM
I think Nixon cause he always spied on people

i thinkthat he is the second worst! Bush has gotta be the worst for me!

p.s you gotta stop reviving old threads! (To metal mario)

Steven
12-30-2004, 05:45 AM
Bush did nothing wrong, he got the majority. If you don't like it, don't be an ask hole about it. What's done is done, he's a great president, Al Gore and John Kerry would have been a lot worse, and if you think otherwise, great. You're intitled to you're own oppinion, but we don't see them as president now to say if they are good or bad. Personally, I think that kerry was the worse choice because he made no decsions on his own. Bush got the majority, that's final, if kerry had won, you'd see the error of your ways.

Sudo
12-30-2004, 08:29 PM
whoah sorry, how was i been an ass hole? i didnt put anything offensive about him.You said that i was entitled to my oppinion thats all i expressed :susp:

FinalThunder
03-01-2005, 09:34 PM
The worst president of all times would have to be before Lincoln where this congress men hit another congress men with a cane.

Firion
03-01-2005, 11:05 PM
Final Thunder don't revive old posts. I think Nixon is the worst.

Alakazam
03-02-2005, 12:25 AM
I know this is an old thread, but after reading the post, I feel that I must respond.

Bush did nothing wrong, he got the majority.

First of all, don't state that Bush didn't do anything wrong as if it were fact. Everyone has their own sense of right and wrong, so don't snap at someone for disliking a politician you don't happen to like without reason.

"He got the majority" So? What does that have to do with anything? Sudowood didn't mention anything about Bush not getting the majority of the votes...in fact, he didn't mention either the election of 2000 or 2004 at all.

And thirdly, I'd like to refute your claim that Bush "did nothing wrong.":

-He was very dishonest with the American people in his 2002 State of the Union address when he alleged that Saddam Hussein had brought Uranium from Africa, when at the tie he said it, he knew that is was false, based on CIA reports.

-He went to WAR under false pretences, again being dishonest to us telling us that he was using war as a "ast resort", which was obviously NOT true.

-He appointed family members and close friends to federal positions, 75% of which he was forced to fire months later because they were horribly unqualified.

-Some of his financial advisors are known financial supporters or Al-Qaeda.

....and the list goes on, but I may as well stop here; I've made my point.

If you don't like it, don't be an ask hole about it. What's done is done, he's a great president, Al Gore and John Kerry would have been a lot worse, and if you think otherwise, great. You're intitled to you're own oppinion, but we don't see them as president now to say if they are good or bad. Personally, I think that kerry was the worse choice because he made no decsions on his own. Bush got the majority, that's final, if kerry had won, you'd see the error of your ways.

If he doesn't like what? That Bush won the election? He also wasn't an @ssholle at all, and in retrospect, to use your eloquent, if anyone's an @sshole in this thread it you, not Sudowoodo.

The "error of his ways"? Don't be so arrogant. Who are you to say that your point of view are more valid than his? That's ignorant and childish.

Kenny_C.002
03-02-2005, 03:07 AM
Well technically speaking a good president generally is highly charismatic and would win by what we call "landslides". Bush barely got the majority: recall that it was the last state that decided it all. Aside from that, there is and always will be a controversy behind the 2000 election, as the Florida state had a huge biased problem (known as relative of Bush). It can say that Bush is generally just not in the categories of "good president" in terms of popularity. Most certainly there are also "good presidents", who do get landslide victories without anything to back it up, but as one can see: Bush fits in neither category.

IMO he's only either a sleeper president (decent one) or just plain terrible. This is where the 51 and the 49% disagree, but certainly also backing the 49% is the rest of the world. As a Canadian and getting alternative info on the stories my decision is to treat him as a terrible president. Mind you this doesn't change the fact that Martin's not a good Prime Minister who had maybe 2 or 3 good deeds through his terms, and also Kerry might not be the best president if he were elected. IMO most certainly I would prefer Kerry as the president, as I know for sure he would do things differently compared to Bush (I do dislike some of Bush's bills). Remember, I've only looked at the facts that I was given and this is my opinion that I've developed.

Edit: Alright! +1 for Martin! :) It is official that Martin is sticking with the discision not to install ballistic missiles as the Bush administration had intended. Bush has indeed expressed "dissappointment" and quite possibly this would hinder the free trade between the 2 nations. Seriously in all due respect, the missiles thing worked 50 years ago, but it's not going to work now (reference to the Avro Aero). If Martin can continue to stand tall and stop being a whipping boy, I think I can still change my views on him...at least since this event I've thought better of him (but still doesn't change the fact that he's not a good Prime Minister).

Ironshell Blastoise
03-05-2005, 06:21 PM
As a President, I would have to say Jimmy Carter is in the top 10 worst. He has done lots of good for the world, but he really didn't do anything as President. I commend him for his volunteer work outside of his Presidency though. :happy:

IceKing
03-05-2005, 09:55 PM
I wouldnt say Bush is the worst. Im not a supporter of the Iraq war, but you have to admit that it did help out Iraq. A lot more iraqis are glad to be saddamfree than the News shows. But I think the war was too rushed and not planned well enough.

I think the worst president should not be judged on what type of person they were, but instead the mistakes they made in office. I dont have enough knowledge to know who the worst president is but I think it might have been Herbert Hoover since he acted very poorly in the worst time of the US's time.

I have a question abotu Clinton, didn't he like balance out the budget and creat medicade and lots of other thigns that help out the lower middle class?