PDA

View Full Version : Add a new rule

Raine
11-14-2004, 02:39 AM
I keep seeing SPAM...no duh...It's nothing new...And there's rules against SPAM...again, no duh it's nothing new...

But there's people that keep replying in the threads trying to correct the people, screaming at em that it's SPAM, etc. And at the time they're spaming to because it's a SPAM thread and any posts made in it is SPAM. I think there should be a rule forbiding people from posting and SPAM threads and leaving it up to the mods to correct the people SPAMing and lock the threads. Because to tell the truth knocking it up the page really isn't helping any.

boltAge
11-14-2004, 02:43 AM
Add a new rule? How, we don't even have a rule thread :rolleyes:

Neo Emolga
11-14-2004, 02:52 AM
There are reasons why people do that. For one thing, if nobody mentions that the thread is spam, then the person who posted it will think that it's perfectly okay for it to be there, and then will believe that it's okay to post most threads of the same kind in that board. So thus, the problem will only get worse and they won't be learning anything from their mistakes. To tell the truth, it's better to have only one spammy thread rather than several.

Second, mods can't be on 24/7, so they can't always be there to take care of the problem. It's better if the person who posted the Spam thread is immediately made aware of their mistake from a member that is already there at the time, and then letting a mod deal with the thread itself later on rather than just waiting for a mod to discover an even worse problem break out later on.

paperfairy
11-14-2004, 02:55 AM
I must agree with Raik and NP. We NEED a rule thread. And w/e NP said. =D

-PF

VenusaurTrainer
11-14-2004, 02:55 AM
Thats why we should hire ACTIVE MODS NP.

Neo Emolga
11-14-2004, 03:20 AM
I honestly think there's not much to worry about to have worry about more mods, we're doing fine. Sure, there will be a thread that needs a lock here and there, but those can be easily ignored and you can move on to other threads.

There's your answer VT...

Look, I'm not going to go that much further into this. I gave my reason and possibly the same reason why many other people respond to these kinds of threads. I'll just leave it at that.

Thanatos
11-14-2004, 03:21 AM
I keep seeing SPAM...no duh...It's nothing new...And there's rules against SPAM...again, no duh it's nothing new...

But there's people that keep replying in the threads trying to correct the people, screaming at em that it's SPAM, etc. And at the time they're spaming to because it's a SPAM thread and any posts made in it is SPAM. I think there should be a rule forbiding people from posting and SPAM threads and leaving it up to the mods to correct the people SPAMing and lock the threads. Because to tell the truth knocking it up the page really isn't helping any.

If we don't tell them what is right and wrong, they will begin to complain. They'll double post saying stuff like "How come nobody is replying to my thread?", or "Come on, I really need help". Which is more annoying then normal SPAM.

VenusaurTrainer
11-14-2004, 03:30 AM
There's your answer VT...

Look, I'm not going to go that much further into this. I gave my reason and possibly the same reason why many other people respond to these kinds of threads. I'll just leave it at that.

But you know its true and so does Ryan, the forum is being over run by n00bs and Ryan is just sitting and watcing them take over. We need active mods.

mlugia
11-14-2004, 06:28 AM
We have enough members doing that as it is, do we really need mods who scream at the newcomers instead of the normal members who already do that now? Besides, with more mods, we'd find more reason to keep everything in line, and we'd become more of a dictatorship or a fascist state than before.

Much of keeping a forum active is to let the members be able to do things. Too many rules will hinder that, and worse off is that there's no definition of what is SPAM exactly. Sure, we can say pointless/annoying messages, but what annoys me does not annoy someone else, and pointless is also in the eye of the beholder. Unless we define SPAM with concrete words, there's almost no way you can lock down on every piece of SPAM in the forum, and that'd just make members want to leave and never come back.

Raine
11-14-2004, 03:00 PM
People I said the mods should tell them that they are spaming.

We do have rule threads. All the READ FIRST, those are rules and we should add that to it. That only mods can post in SPAM threads.

boltAge
11-14-2004, 03:10 PM
READ FIRST threads are not rule threads. They're scrap information thrown together. The URPG READ FIRST thread is different, but heck, they don't belong in the same group anyway.

Raine
11-14-2004, 03:36 PM
Well hell add new scrap information whatever. Call it what you wanna call it but it's a guidline you have to follow and if you ask me, that's a rule.

And I know mods can't be on 24/7...

Which is why we have more than one mod... :rolleyes:

boltAge
11-14-2004, 03:39 PM
Well hell add new scrap information whatever. It's all the same thing techniclly.

And I know mods can't be on 24/7...

Which is why we have more than one mod... :rolleyes:
Would be rather pointless to have "1) NO SPAMMING BLAHBLAHBLAH 2) NO BLAHBLAHBLAH" in every READ FIRST thread. That's my opinion anyway.

Raine
11-14-2004, 03:42 PM
Would be rather pointless to have "1) NO SPAMMING BLAHBLAHBLAH 2) NO BLAHBLAHBLAH" in every READ FIRST thread. That's my opinion anyway.
Well it's annoying and we need to deal with it.

And sometimes they do it for attention...

And that's what they get when we promote it.

Neo Emolga
11-14-2004, 04:03 PM
Well take a look at the thread that HoennCallum posted even in this same board. After the question was ignored, what happened? He posted the same exact thread yet again. I can't say we really want that either, but that's what will happen if no one tells them that it's wrong for them to do that.

And honestly, I don't think anyone "promotes" the spam that people see in these threads. If anything, people are trying to condemn it.

Raine
11-14-2004, 04:30 PM
Well take a look at the thread that HoennCallum posted even in this same board. After the question was ignored, what happened? He posted the same exact thread yet again. I can't say we really want that either, but that's what will happen if no one tells them that it's wrong for them to do that.

And honestly, I don't think anyone "promotes" the spam that people see in these threads. If anything, people are trying to condemn it.
Which they will be told that it's wrong...BY MODS...

And we are promoting it when someone does it for attention and gets it. What do you think they do about five minutes later? Make another attention seeking post or thread. So we're giving them attention. And that's why I think only mods should be able to tell them that what they're doing is wrong.

Cos you never know if they're doing it intentionally or not.

Caite-chan
11-16-2004, 12:42 PM
Add a new rule? How, we don't even have a rule thread :rolleyes:

We actully do have a rule thread.

Post #1: Rules, Signing Up

Rules:
1. Use Sentences (Capitalizations & Periods)
2. No Inappropriate Behavior/Junk Posts.
3. Respect other members.
4. Have fun!
Note: Inappropriate behavior and junk posts may lead to ban. I have little patience for this kind of behavior.

As for another mod....yes we do need one.

boltAge
11-17-2004, 04:16 AM
We actully do have a rule thread.

Actually no. That's the Forum Guide, and that post in that thread which supposedly are the rules only mentions no spam and inappropriate behavior, nothing else. The type of rule thread I'm referring to is Mushi's previous one.

PokemonElite2000
11-17-2004, 07:12 AM

Forum Guide: Rule: 2. No Inappropriate Behavior/Junk Posts.

Spam=Junk Posts. Same thing.

But I do understand your point, posts replying to spam, to me, is even worse than the spam itself. I have it more clear in the Forum Guide rules pointing out a certain things that would be junk posts/spam.