PDA

View Full Version : PE2K Backup Forum

Agent Orange
12-27-2004, 06:21 PM
I had this idea over the downtime, but I wanted clearence for it first.

Heres the idea, when the forum goes down, we all groan and have to wait it out with no PE2K. But, what if someone, (Preferably Ryan, so he could admin it) made a Proboards Pe2k that we could go to when the main VB was down?

So, anyone have an opinion on it?

Neo Emolga
12-27-2004, 06:39 PM
Hmm, I usually thought this was the site that would be used in case something like that happened:

http://urpg2k.proboards29.com/index.cgi

Hmm, Jack actually posted there today...

Jack of Clovers
12-27-2004, 07:14 PM
ya, it's mainly for URPG but if this forum goes down again, ur welcome to stop by there.

~Jack~

Tamer San
12-27-2004, 07:20 PM
I agree on having a Backup forum, and I support this idea. We have one for the URPG and i suggest to use Invisionfree as a support forum host =P
Invisionfree is the best!

Half a Dollar
12-27-2004, 07:24 PM
I like the idea of having a back up. :) It works.

BTW: Lep, can guests post there too? Or do they have to sign up? I can't sign up for forums anymore, sorry. >_<

Jack of Clovers
12-27-2004, 07:45 PM
no, guests can't post. you'd have to sign up first.

~Jack~

Ruby
12-27-2004, 07:53 PM
meh proboards.... doesn any1 have VB? that would be better because proboard is the worst forum software

Matthew
12-28-2004, 12:26 AM
XD... I forgot all about that forum... I created it :P

Neo Emolga
12-28-2004, 01:13 AM
meh proboards.... doesn any1 have VB? that would be better because proboard is the worst forum software

Well, proboards doesn't cost a dime and most of us have used it before, hence the reason for using it.

VB costs money, quite a bit of it too. Plus, we really don't plan to use this that often, it's just a backup.

theRealOne
12-28-2004, 11:21 AM
This is definitely possible, however there is another solution. This is a little more-so technical but basically, a bot will rip the mySQL databases every so often and write them to a back-up one on a completely different server. It would also check if there is any response at the empire.ma.cx domain. If not, it will implement the databases at an alternative location and open the forums there. In other words, when the forum is down, an identical copy (bar perhaps an hour of posts, configuration, etc.) would be available at a different server with the same URL. (Edit: We'd still be using the vBulletin software, which is a plus in most's opinions I am sure)

If Ryan and everyone wanted such, I could set it up. :happy:

Thanatos
12-28-2004, 01:41 PM
I like the way you think tRO, but sounds like a lotta hard work.

How would it go back to normal after the server swapped?

slifer
12-28-2004, 04:43 PM
Invisionfree is the best forum software and it's free!

Tamer Marco
12-28-2004, 04:46 PM
Hey, that's a great idea. I'd work perfectly, I hope. If we make it on PB or Invisionfree, it shouldn't go down, and it'll feel more like the old Pe2k.

Ruby
12-28-2004, 05:04 PM
Guys don't get Invisionfree, You can get IPB 1.3 with FTP for free, Also i can give you free IPB 2.0 Trial with Ftp :p

paperfairy
12-28-2004, 06:06 PM
You guys are more than WELCOME to use my forum. urlcut.com/pkmn

It's very similar to PE2K. Maybe we could use that!

-PF

Ruby
12-28-2004, 06:47 PM
Ok I have an idea, I will make Pokemon forum with Invision Power Board 1.3 and we can post there when there's backup in PE2K, Also I will make all Staff from here staff in that forum, Also I will get SKin and Buttons related to Pokemon, so what do you think?

theRealOne
12-28-2004, 08:07 PM
I like the way you think tRO, but sounds like a lotta hard work.

How would it go back to normal after the server swapped?
There's a hack that does it for vBulletin I think. And as for going back to normal, the bot'd just transfer the databases back.

Ruby
12-28-2004, 08:50 PM
Here I just made this www.pokemon2005.uni.cc it has cool RPG and IBStore, If you wanna help me just add me on MSN and i might make you admin so you can help :)

theRealOne
12-28-2004, 08:58 PM
Here I just made this www.pokemon2005.uni.cc it has cool RPG and IBStore, If you wanna help me just add me on MSN and i might make you admin so you can help :)
Wouldn't it be best to wait for Ryan and let him set it up if he wanted to?

Thanatos
12-29-2004, 12:42 AM
I think that a PE2K brand of forum would be best opened by...PE2K, wouldn't it?

I think that tRO has the best idea. As long as it isn't to much trouble for you man, I'm with that idea.

boltAge
12-29-2004, 03:09 AM
I can guarantee you 100% that forum won't work out. *tries hard to not laugh*

Anyway, tRO's idea is good.

PokemonElite2000
12-29-2004, 04:33 AM
If I needed to make a back up forum, I would make one myself.

In this situation, I was told that the forum would be down 2-3 weeks. Instead of going from one forum to the other, I decided to just wait it out. If we go to one forum and just go back to another, it will be confusing to a lot of people.

It was a brief downtime, if it were any longer, I would have made a new "backup" one. In fact, I already prepared all the stuff I needed in case the forum couldn't get back online in 2-3 weeks.

Glad to see all of you back again, I wasn't here when the forum was back online it's first day (I was on vacation, lol).

*Thread locked.