PDA

View Full Version : "Might Makes Right"

Alakazam
01-12-2005, 08:36 PM
In this thread, lets discuss the adage "might makes right". I'll throw my two sense in once I hear a few other opinions.

Alakazam
01-16-2005, 02:24 AM
Um...I guess this isn't as common a saying as I had thought it was. I guess I need to start.

Basically, what is meant by "might makes right" is that those who are strong are correct, and have every right to display their might and "right". Many people use this to justify going to war in Iraq. "We're the almighty US; our way of government must then be superior to YOURS. So, we're gonna do you a favor and allow you to have democracy, which is better than whatever you were doing up to this point."

Does anyone see something inherently wrong with this?

Thanatos
01-16-2005, 02:43 AM
I do, and I'm seeing it from a smaller nations point of view.

As an aussie, I see the american government make blunders all the time.

Might makes right? More like Bullying gets you what you want...

boltAge
01-16-2005, 05:34 AM
Doesn't that define a bully?

:razz:

Crimson Spider
01-18-2005, 06:29 AM
Or "you do what you think is right with your might." seems to be how it goes down from my perspective.

Keeper_of_Light
01-20-2005, 10:42 AM
Doesn't that define a bully?

:razz:
It does, and i think its totaly wrong and living in the UK aint any better here we just seem to do what every the US do. Its stupid!

Sudo
02-06-2005, 09:40 PM
Yup living in the uk myself i can relate to that!

flyhighlatias!
02-07-2005, 10:14 PM
We just started talking about this in my history class concerning WW2 and Hitler, and I'm with yall "might makes right" is a big bullying factor to get what you want; i think the appropiate term is "appeasment" os something- giving into a bigger power and i see alot of resemblance to the war in Iraq with WW2 especially with hitler's bregade :eek: he swarmed into Czechoslovakia and Poland like we swarmed into Iraq and he punished the Jews horribly and we kinda did the same with the Iraqi prison scandle :eek: eh, did i go off topic? :eh:

JohtoTrainer
02-08-2005, 12:27 AM
Your comparing prison scandals, to The Holocaust? It might not have been right to go into Iraq, but it was no where close to what Hitler did.