PDA

View Full Version : New Planet!

AggronTrainer
03-15-2004, 09:51 PM
They found an new planet in our solar system! They named it Sedna, after the Inuit godess of the sea! I wonder why?

Neo Emolga
03-15-2004, 10:05 PM
Well, all the other planets are named after gods, so that's no surprise...

But then again, I don't see what we would do with another planet. We really don't do much with the ones we have already...

Tamer Marco
03-15-2004, 11:31 PM
I know. We still haven't even figured out all the secrets of Venus.

Crimson Spider
03-16-2004, 01:53 AM
If we found another planet, great!

But the details are a little skeptical. If you look at it's orbital path, the direction that it takes would've long swung it out of the sun's orbit.

Steven
03-16-2004, 04:11 AM
I kinda think... who cares? I mean what are we gonna do with it? say hi and take their oil? It's pretty much useless... I dunno, it is just a floating rock around our sun like us.

Thunderbird
03-16-2004, 09:29 AM
Yeah, just saw the news about it in the newspapers... it is even smaller than Pluto :confused:

Jet
03-16-2004, 12:42 PM
Ok... another planet is discovered... so, how many are there now? 11... and "Planet X" is still a mystery... =P They keep discovering new ones, and ignoring the "last discovered" ones, perfect example is Sedna and Planet X =P

Jack of Clovers
03-16-2004, 05:19 PM
actually, there are many smaller 'planets' further back but they are all about the size of a small moon/asteroid. 100's of these bodies lie behind the orbit of pluto. they can't call them all planets so astronomers have been trying to define what a planet should be and Pluto is opted to being called back as a non-planet, thus changing the science books. either way you look at it, astronomy will always be interesting.

~Jack~

Tamer Marco
03-16-2004, 10:02 PM
actually, there are many smaller 'planets' further back but they are all about the size of a small moon/asteroid. 100's of these bodies lie behind the orbit of pluto. they can't call them all planets so astronomers have been trying to define what a planet should be and Pluto is opted to being called back as a non-planet, thus changing the science books. either way you look at it, astronomy will always be interesting.

~Jack~ But planet X is about the size of Earth. It may be bigger or smaller. And anyway if this new planet is even smaller than Pluto what's the point of studying it. I heard that Pluto is only 780 something miles for the whole planet!

Kenny_C.002
04-09-2004, 05:40 AM
Yeah. I don't think the orbital works right there. Looks too "wonkie" for it to actaully be a true orbit (more like an orbital, as I said).

pokemon fan
04-09-2004, 03:53 PM
Well their are many other planets in our solar system that have not been found because they are not bright they are as dim as a black spot in the night sky the only reason they found planet sedna was because they saw a black spot on the sun and they relized it was not a sun spot remember planets have no light well only some do unless it is a big rock in space like our moon the only reason we can see it is because of the suns light. :wink:

KenshinU
04-14-2004, 01:48 AM
lol Wow. When are the new editions of school textbooks coming out? :smile:

Techno Treecko
04-19-2004, 02:39 PM
I don't see the point in calling it a planet if it's orbital path is screwed up, and if it's smaller than the size of Pluto. I'd say more like a large asteroid. :ermm:

Scizor
04-19-2004, 02:41 PM
but if it is moving arround the sun it isn't a astroid

Techno Treecko
04-19-2004, 02:49 PM
but if it is moving arround the sun it isn't a astroid

Well I meant like a moon or an astroid or something, just as Pluto is considered a moon of Neptune by some, but not really a planet in itself. But hey, whatever floats their boat. :tongue:

Nefarious
05-19-2004, 01:53 AM
When was a new planet discovered? If it is smaller than Pluto it shoulsn't be considered a planet. There are many things that orbit the sun that aren't planets.

Tamer Marco
05-19-2004, 02:01 AM
Ughhh... dude if it's more than seven days old don't post there...-_-

Nefarious
05-19-2004, 02:06 AM
OOps. I always just assume that if the thread is on the front page of the board, then it is alright to post. That really should be the rule. But oh well.