PDA

View Full Version : Underrated Games/Developers

Tamer Marco
08-06-2007, 04:11 AM
Ok, I realize this isn't anything new, but there are a lot of great games coming out (they may not be triple-A titles, and they may not have the most well-know publisher or developer) that really aren't getting enough attention.

For example, take the company Bioware. They made Jade Empire and Star Wars: Knights of The Old Republic's 1 and two for the original Xbox. Great games, but this developer is really underated, and their new release Mass Effect isn't really getting as much fame as it deserves, and I know it'll be awesome. I just hope it'll never go into the bargain bin.

Three other amazing games, Beyond Good & Evil, and Psychonauts, and Amplitude(from the guys that made Guitar Hero) were great three great games, all of them i've owned for a time. But none of them sold well, even though they were much better than their competion for the time. List a game/game developer that is very underated in the media and people just seem to overlook. Maybe this will help people play something fun for a low cost.

Lucavi
08-06-2007, 06:40 PM
For example, take the company Bioware. They made Jade Empire and Star Wars: Knights of The Old Republic's 1 and two for the original Xbox. Great games, but this developer is really underated, and their new release Mass Effect isn't really getting as much fame as it deserves, and I know it'll be awesome. I just hope it'll never go into the bargain bin.

Uh? Where do you get this from? I never thought of Bioware as an underrated company. As a matter of fact, both games that you mentioned were big commercial successes. Afterwards, Bioware has stated that they'll be working on their own IP's, which denotes how well they've done lately, and i utterly disagree with ME not getting enough fame (I actually believe quite the opposite to tell you the truth).

If you asked me about underrated companies, i'd say Obsidian is probably the most underrated. Despite being composed by mainly young staff and its founders only, they managed to create 2 awesome games even when they got their deadlines pushed at the last minute (Kotor2 and NWM2). Those games were great, i can't even imagine how good they'd have been, in case they'd have got enough time to finish them.

Hypocrisy is Fun
08-06-2007, 07:16 PM
I don't know about developers, but Phantom Dust, P.N.03, and Jetset Radio Future deserve a bit more credit. They're all really good games.

Bioware is really popular, lol.

Mass Effect is talked about everywhere, and you CAN'T say that KoToR1 + 2 are underrated. They were a huge success, and Jade Empire is selling for $50 new here.

Tamer Marco
08-06-2007, 07:25 PM
Uh? Where do you get this from? I never thought of Bioware as an underrated company. As a matter of fact, both games that you mentioned were big commercial successes. Afterwards, Bioware has stated that they'll be working on their own IP's, which denotes how well they've done lately, and i utterly disagree with ME not getting enough fame (I actually believe quite the opposite to tell you the truth).

If you asked me about underrated companies, i'd say Obsidian is probably the most underrated. Despite being composed by mainly young staff and its founders only, they managed to create 2 awesome games even when they got their deadlines pushed at the last minute (Kotor2 and NWM2). Those games were great, i can't even imagine how good they'd have been, in case they'd have got enough time to finish them.
They were both great, but the company itself isn't getting enough attention as a good title developer. You see the same old companies, EA, Ubisoft, Activsion(I know these are mainly publishers, but still).

Hypocrisy is Fun
08-06-2007, 07:33 PM
Thats because those develops just throw games out there. They've made tons, but how many of them can you say are really good?

Tamer Marco
08-06-2007, 07:35 PM
Out of the majority, not many. :( But there are some exceptions, and they don't sell well just because they're not published by a huge name.

Lucavi
08-06-2007, 09:20 PM
They were both great, but the company itself isn't getting enough attention as a good title developer.

I completely disagree. When a company states that they'll be fabricating their own IP's, it means they're having success. In the video game industry, success is translated to fame, so i don't see how they're underrated at all.

Tamer Marco
08-06-2007, 10:48 PM
I completely disagree. When a company states that they'll be fabricating their own IP's, it means they're having success. In the video game industry, success is translated to fame, so i don't see how they're underrated at all.
Yeah, I know thats true. But is there any particular game that you know is cool, but never sold well?

Vivendi bought the rights to Psychonauts I believe, and they're making a sequel, so hopefully it'll sell well this time.

Kenny_C.002
08-06-2007, 11:16 PM
Underrated developer? Has poeple forgotten about Clover being deader than dead already? It's gone. Kapiche, poof, etc. What did they develop again? Game of the year.

Tamer Marco
08-06-2007, 11:20 PM
Yes, I LOVED Okami to death. But you didn't hear, Capcom opened up a new team for them with a different name. And they're hiring new people as well as the old members are returning.

Kenny_C.002
08-06-2007, 11:26 PM
Yes, I LOVED Okami to death. But you didn't hear, Capcom opened up a new team for them with a different name. And they're hiring new people as well as the old members are returning.
No, what mattered was the fact that Clover couldn't survive under Okami. Plain and simple, they were underrated, big time, that they had to go bankrupt, and then Capcom hired them. >.>

Tamer Marco
08-06-2007, 11:33 PM
No, what mattered was the fact that Clover couldn't survive under Okami. Plain and simple, they were underrated, big time, that they had to go bankrupt, and then Capcom hired them. >.>
Weren't all they're games being published by Capcom the entire time? Or they weren't actually under the companies restrictions?

And what do you mean they couldn't survive? I mean, they survived the Viewtiful Joe hype a while back.

Kenny_C.002
08-06-2007, 11:40 PM
Capcom's a publisher, and gives clover commission, etc. etc. The point is that Clover's dead from financial problems. Generally financial problems come from lack of money going into them, after all. We really don't know what happened in the middle, but they did do well during the Viewtiful Joe success (ironically, only VJ1).

Another underrated developer: Silicon Knights.

Tamer Marco
08-06-2007, 11:45 PM
Capcom's a publisher, and gives clover commission, etc. etc. The point is that Clover's dead from financial problems. Generally financial problems come from lack of money going into them, after all. We really don't know what happened in the middle, but they did do well during the Viewtiful Joe success (ironically, only VJ1).

Another underrated developer: Silicon Knights.
Silicon Knights is underrated-to an extent. We've been waiting for Too Human since Psone, and if your game is over a decade late, you deserve to lose publicity.

Kenny_C.002
08-07-2007, 04:38 AM
Silicon Knights is underrated-to an extent. We've been waiting for Too Human since Psone, and if your game is over a decade late, you deserve to lose publicity.
lol That is very true. However, Eternal Darkness is really good when it came out, even though it took a decade. XD

Tamer Marco
08-07-2007, 05:25 AM
lol, i've never played it, but I heard it was good, despite it being eternally delayed. Still, I think that if it takes an entire decade to make a 20 or 30 hour video game, you've defenitely got some problems. :P

Speaking of delayed classics, Prey on Xbox 360 is a really good game, despite it also taking a decade(or more), and the barebones multiplayer.

Hypocrisy is Fun
08-07-2007, 07:15 AM
Prey's multiplayer was so horrible. x_x

The demo had better gameplay.

Kenny_C.002
08-08-2007, 12:49 AM
It takes a true master to have the demo play better than the real deal. XD

Lucavi
08-08-2007, 04:59 AM
I generally view FFT as underrated in comparison to the other FF's. The plot is one of the very best i've ever experienced, and it has some awesome characters. I'd recommend it over any FF anyday

Tamer Marco
08-08-2007, 05:09 AM
I generally view FFT as underrated in comparison to the other FF's. The plot is one of the very best i've ever experienced, and it has some awesome characters. I'd recommend it over any FF anyday
You mean Tactics? I've never even played it honestly...

Lucavi
08-08-2007, 05:20 AM
^ Yes, i meant Final Fantasy Tactics (Not the advance version)

Todd6
08-08-2007, 08:26 AM
^ Yes, i meant Final Fantasy Tactics (Not the advance version)

But is the game any good I just got in to FF.

Kenny_C.002
08-09-2007, 02:01 AM
But is the game any good I just got in to FF.
Most regart FFT as the best or second best of the series (that is, either above or below 7). The PSP version (i.e. port) of FFT will include several new units, while pretty much everything else stays the same, unless they want to put in random cinematics (which is always welcomed). Otherwise, the PSP version should be exactly the same as the playstation version, barring probably some cosmetic enchancement (or not). It will be released later this year.

FF12 is pretty good too, abide it's not really an FF game...

karmachameleon
08-09-2007, 10:25 PM
I really like Nintendo and Capcom as developers. Rare used to also be really good.

Charbok
08-09-2007, 10:28 PM
I really like Nintendo and Capcom as developers. Rare used to also be really good.

We're talking about underrated game developers.
I choose Pandemic and ADX.