PDA

View Full Version : Contest Board

Jack of Clovers
08-15-2007, 07:50 AM
Ok, it seems like the contests haven't been as active as we'd like. Maybe contests really aren't that popular. Mostly it's my fault the board is inactive since I kinda lost interest... :neutral: I'd post this in that board, but this'll get more attention here, hopefully.

So, if you have any suggestions, rule changes, additions, please say so. Speak as freely as you want. Does someone want to give a shot at being in charge of that section? If so, we can talk.

~Jack~

umbreonandespeon
08-15-2007, 08:41 AM
i think one of the reasons are the fact they take too long.

i may be able to help, but i'll need someone to teach me.

DarkGardevoir
08-15-2007, 10:45 AM
I guess that people are not interested in Contest very much, first because those are longer than battles, plus because there aren't many efforts on the gaining a Master Ribbon.

Maybe we should do like a contest champion that gets another Legendary, I think this would draw attention to them.

The problem would be on how to rule who would be the champ and how someone can challange the champ and win.

Obliviously, this would require someone winning a Master Contest(or maybe one for each type) and then trade all the ribbons for the Contest Champion title. Once the ribbons will be given, there will be no way to get them back, unless win in other Contests again.

However, the challanges of the Contest Champion will be a hard choice. Shall we give it the same rules of a normal Elite Battle?

King Zark
08-15-2007, 01:14 PM
How about any judge can post and outcome of the round that way it can go faster.

Since there are 5 rounds the total payout would consist of how many rounds you did.
If they payout for the whole thing is 1k. Then you get 200 for each round.

So I judged 2 Jack judged 2 and DG judged 1 than me and Jack get 400 each while DG gets 200.

In the logs just write a normal log and how many rounds. And post a link to the contest.

DG: That would work. For the first master contest whoever wins gets legend and if someone else comes along and qualifies for masters than the current master has to win to keep legend if he/she loses then the winner gets it.
For the Masters we can have NPC trainer if there is one lacking.
Person1
person2
person3
NPC

NPC 3 pokes for each contest type. 4 moves 1 move is tm and 3 are naturally learned.(2 of them can be combo) The poke and moves are decided at random. If a starting combo move is used then automatically theending combo is used. EX. PNPC uses Rain dance then it automatically uses Hydro Pumo

ball
08-15-2007, 01:29 PM
Well, the contests are inactive mostly because of the lack of judges, heck, how many of them that actually judge are there? 3? I would judge contests on aim, and I think that there are people who would have them only on aim, since, many people don't do forum battles, and so they probably don't want to do the long contest on the forum. DG's idea is good, but firstly we probably need judges that can judge on aim.

Lord Celebi
08-15-2007, 02:59 PM
Make it free, or at least cheaper. I haven't gotten into Contests yet because I have no money to do so. Or, at least, make decking out one of your Pokemon free, so people can put their feet into the contests without actually losing money if they'd find out its fun.

I'd probably a terrible choice as Contest Head, so I won't even volunteer :P

FireflyK
08-15-2007, 03:38 PM
I think the format needs changing to survive on URPG.
5 rounds makes sense in the games, but here, with 5 people who need to regularly post, that just takes forever. People totally lose interest. Also, being able to enter only one at once is a bummer. With forum battles, those who don't have AIM can enter 3 at once. Since I don't think contests over AIM have ever worked well, why not allow people to be in 3 contests as well?

Finally, to get more judges, raise the pay a little. Graders complain they're getting shafted, but the Judges are worse off- they make a LOT less than the refs, even though they do a lot of work.

Diesel 34
08-15-2007, 03:43 PM
Maybe it a little more like the show where you battle maybe. I never done contests but I'd be willing to give head of the contest section a chance.

Leman
08-15-2007, 04:39 PM
Meh, I like the contests. I also like Zark's idea how any judge can judge any round for a contest, but maybe 250 per round. I also think that needs to be a time limit for how long someone can take to post their move. Three or four days maybe.

Fever
08-15-2007, 04:40 PM
To be honest, I didn't realise they were even open :oops: It doesn't seem to be active...

Motivation? Maybe one legendary given out per month, and whoever has it holds the title until the next winner is announced. They keep the Legendary though. Or maybe the Leg. is given out once per season, but a 'rare' Pokemon (I mean as in hard to catch in a story & unavailable in Mart) given out once per month.

I'll take on the Judge thingymujummy if you want, but I'll need a crash course, and I demand my own Judge's Table. Complete with tablecloth. Plus I'm just an Amateur Trainer, so I may not even be eligible.

FireflyK
08-15-2007, 04:41 PM
To be honest, I didn't realise they were even open :oops: It doesn't seem to be active...

Motivation? Maybe one legendary given out per month, and whoever has it holds the title until the next winner is announced. They keep the Legendary though. Or maybe the Leg. is given out once per season, but a 'rare' Pokemon (I mean as in hard to catch in a story & unavailable in Mart) given out once per month.

I'll take on the Judge thingymujummy if you want, but I'll need a crash course, and I demand my own Judge's Table. Complete with tablecloth. Plus I'm just an Amateur Trainer, so I may not even be eligible.

Woah, a legend every month? That's a lot. ^_~

Claona
08-15-2007, 04:43 PM
Maybe people find plain RSE contests boring. If we did it like the anime, contests would be more interesting and creative, but much harder to grade.

Mitsuzo-kun
08-15-2007, 04:48 PM
Maybe people find plain RSE contests boring. If we did it like the anime, contests would be more interesting and creative, but much harder to grade.

Great idea! But, like you said, the judges would find it hard. I'm interested in contests, but find some of them tedious. I also get confused a lot of the time. I'm getting better, though. :oops:

Leman
08-15-2007, 04:55 PM

:O I don't think that would be good every month, but how about for the person how completes the Master Rank in Cool, Smart, Tough, Cute, and beauty first? Well, since you get one for beating the E-Four, and this is the contest equivalent of the E-4, it makes sense.

FireflyK
08-15-2007, 05:04 PM
Anime would be cool, but people don't even do Anime battles, let alone contests, so I doubt it'll happen. xD I just think people should be able to do more contests at once.

Dark Charizard
08-15-2007, 05:16 PM
I think that it's is really to hard to find 3 refs, and have them ref for you, because, it's already very hard to find a ref on AIM battles. :P

SiberianTiger
08-15-2007, 08:55 PM
If I could actually remember to check forum battles/contest I might actually be able to ref them.

As far as suggestions... D/P moves have to be implemented as I don't think they have been as of yet and tbh forum contest take forever and a day to complete.

Just the same i'd like this part of the URPG become more active as I've had fun with the two contest I've entered.

And I'll see about helping judge so DG, ATF and ball aren't the only ones doing it besides Jack.

~Isaiah

DarkGardevoir
08-16-2007, 08:24 AM
@Zark: yeah, maybe it could work, that every judge can do a round. However, the pay should be raised. And i don't get the second part of your post well. You mean that if 2 people get master in each category, they do a contest to see who's the Champion?

If so, i'd agree, but I say that in order to do so, they'll have to give back all the ribbon to master rank they have, then they can have the contest. And the loser will have to win them back to challange the champ again.

@ball: actually, 2 judges. Me and ATF, because Lep doesn't have much time, and nobody does AIM contests.

@rust: they are free. You can buy the berries to have more chances to win, but not many people do it. and we don't charge the posting a coordinator stat.

@FFK: yeah, i know 5 rounds is long, but I don't think that less would be balanced. I mean, many people do good because 5 rounds you have more time to set up combos and to gain back the points you lose. In 3, you have less.

@Diesel: if we made like show, then it would be like a normal forum battle.

@Leman: raise the pay, and we may talk about Zark's idea. And there is actually a limit on when to post, but maybe it should be lessened.

@DoS: that would just be an easy way for stronger people to get rare pokemon, or even a legendary. Totally disagree.

@Claona: I had an idea for a Grand Festival Tournament, where we involved a little of the anime. However, DP would be rather hard to do on a forum, and anime would be even harder.

@djax: they're tedious because one of the coordinator usually forgets to post, so the contest becomes old and the other coordinator too lose interest. Personally, i try to avoid this by PM the coordinators each turn, if they forget.

@Leman(2): exactly what me and Zark said.

@FFK(2): yeah, that should be allowed, IMO. But if someone is in a contest, he can't use the same pokemon in another.

@DC: what did you mean?

@ST: I'm of that opinion too, but i can't do it myself, as I don't have Diamond or Pearl either, else I'd have tried to do it.
Oh, yeah, contest take much more than forever and a day.
And I haven't seen ball helping much, as AIM aren't that popular.

I guess I've covered every post there. As I said, I had an idea for the Grand festival tournament, where the prize wouldn't have been a legendary, that if another GF tourney would've been held you would lose, but a Pokemon that many desired to have, and that you'll be bragging forever.

I won't spoil who i wanted to use as prize because I don't think this tournament will be done unless the contest forum will receive an assault of contestants.

Lord Celebi
08-16-2007, 12:26 PM
@DG: Exactly. You have to buy the berries. A lot of people don't have the money to invest in contests. If everyone were to be allowed to give their Pokemon max luster in one stat for free, then people could try contests out and see how they like them without investing a penny. Its like how to start out URPG Battling, everyone gets a starter Pokemon and 3k.

I assure you, if this were to be implemented, there would be a helluva lot more activity in the Contest board. I for one would participate.

ball
08-16-2007, 01:05 PM
Contests on aim have worked, i have had 2 or 3 of them, and they dont work any worse than battles. The thing is, none ever starts one on aim, and even if they would, finding a judge would be near impossible, though I would judge a contest on aim, if I would have some time on my hands, so you can ask me :wink:.

Also, anime style contests wouldnt really work, heck, none does anime style battles, and an anime style contest just wouldn't work out, it would be too long and too confusing for most people.

The contests would need elites, like,one for each type(cool, smart, tough etc...), like, if you win a master rank contest, you can challenge an elite of the same atribute, the problems are however, that contests are with 4 people participating, but an elite battle in a 4vs4 just wouldn't make sense, so, iether:

Each control 2 mons would have to happen(but then, the person would need to win in the rank with both mons, witch wouldnt be so easy, or atleast would have to have an another mon witch is good in the rank, but well, it is an elite, so it would make sense, for the challanger to have to prepeare a bit more.)

A contest rules where only 2 mons total would be participating would have to be created, witch wouldn't be so fun or challanging would have to be made.

Or, the judge could be controlling 2 ''bot'' mons (prefably randomly chosen, with random luster), witch couldnt win, but they could steal points, or affect the other players in some fun judge thought up ways. This however would put a lot of strain on the judge, and also it would be nearly impossible to not favor either contestant a bit.

I would have to say that the first way would work out the best, it would require the most strategy(since controlling two mons and thinking of ways to support each other mon would be challenging), and also it would require some preparing, since you would have to get 2 mons ''worthy''. However, a system of this would work only if atleast 20 people would activelly participate in the contests, since, a higher rank contest requires more people that have actually won in previous ranks.

Also, I thin that the rule that you cant participate in the same atribute/rank contest you have already won isnt a good thing. It would be like you cant battle a person if you have already defeated him once any more. Though it would be fair that if the elite system sometimes gets started that the elites dont use their one or two mon ''teams'' in normal contests.

For now to incrase the activity in contests, until more people get in to them would be to start a tournament or two, with good-contest related prizes. Also , people who think they would handle judging should be made judges, and more people would have to be initiative and to start contests on aim and stuff(it isnt that hard to find 3 more people on aim to start a contest).

DarkGardevoir
08-17-2007, 08:01 AM
@DG: Exactly. You have to buy the berries. A lot of people don't have the money to invest in contests. If everyone were to be allowed to give their Pokemon max luster in one stat for free, then people could try contests out and see how they like them without investing a penny. Its like how to start out URPG Battling, everyone gets a starter Pokemon and 3k.

I assure you, if this were to be implemented, there would be a helluva lot more activity in the Contest board. I for one would participate.you're forgetting that the 3k aren't for battling, they're for all there is in URPG. If people seriously wanted to do contest and boost attributes, they can do it without complaining. They just don't want to invest on something that has little effect unless you do contests. And since there isn't much to do after winning all the contest levels, why they should bother doing it?

This is what I think.

Contests on aim have worked, i have had 2 or 3 of them, and they dont work any worse than battles. The thing is, none ever starts one on aim, and even if they would, finding a judge would be near impossible, though I would judge a contest on aim, if I would have some time on my hands, so you can ask me :wink:.

Also, anime style contests wouldnt really work, heck, none does anime style battles, and an anime style contest just wouldn't work out, it would be too long and too confusing for most people.

The contests would need elites, like,one for each type(cool, smart, tough etc...), like, if you win a master rank contest, you can challenge an elite of the same atribute, the problems are however, that contests are with 4 people participating, but an elite battle in a 4vs4 just wouldn't make sense, so, iether:

Each control 2 mons would have to happen(but then, the person would need to win in the rank with both mons, witch wouldnt be so easy, or atleast would have to have an another mon witch is good in the rank, but well, it is an elite, so it would make sense, for the challanger to have to prepeare a bit more.)

A contest rules where only 2 mons total would be participating would have to be created, witch wouldn't be so fun or challanging would have to be made.

Or, the judge could be controlling 2 ''bot'' mons (prefably randomly chosen, with random luster), witch couldnt win, but they could steal points, or affect the other players in some fun judge thought up ways. This however would put a lot of strain on the judge, and also it would be nearly impossible to not favor either contestant a bit.

I would have to say that the first way would work out the best, it would require the most strategy(since controlling two mons and thinking of ways to support each other mon would be challenging), and also it would require some preparing, since you would have to get 2 mons ''worthy''. However, a system of this would work only if atleast 20 people would activelly participate in the contests, since, a higher rank contest requires more people that have actually won in previous ranks.

Also, I thin that the rule that you cant participate in the same atribute/rank contest you have already won isnt a good thing. It would be like you cant battle a person if you have already defeated him once any more. Though it would be fair that if the elite system sometimes gets started that the elites dont use their one or two mon ''teams'' in normal contests.

For now to incrase the activity in contests, until more people get in to them would be to start a tournament or two, with good-contest related prizes. Also , people who think they would handle judging should be made judges, and more people would have to be initiative and to start contests on aim and stuff(it isnt that hard to find 3 more people on aim to start a contest).

Oh, I always find problems in finding people on AIM, but it may be just me.

Anime style contests are different from battles, because the first part, instead of using pokeblocks, they show off some moves. Which would mean that people should roleplay for doing the first part, and someone should judge the creativity/effectiveness of the combo and things like that. The second is an anime battle, and with this I can agree with you.

I don't think the Contests should need an Elite4, since they are way different from the battles. However, we should have a champion.
I don't think that a contest where a person uses 2 pokemon could work(well, they do it in the Anime, but it's different.), however the bots would be fun for a judge. And honestly, there are plenty of moves to use, it's not impossible to not favor one or the other contestant

That rule is a good thing, it's to prevent people who already won a rank to play only for the money, blocking the possible win of another guy.

The problem with the not making people who think they can handle it judge, is that nobody so far has wished to become one

Rpgraccoon
08-17-2007, 02:19 PM
Well, in contest we cannot use DP moves now :sad:. Plus, when every I try to gather people for a contest it has fallen through. Sadie has one ribbon I would love to do more contests.

In DP I think it is 4 rounds and the one with the lowest stats attacks first. Dunno maybe the format could work. True they appeal to different judges. However, the DP style would be fun to try.

The rules for kicking people out of the contest or making their Pokemon inactive needs to be more strict. I sat for a month with two people not posting. 1 week 2 week three week inactive judge plus and more. sigh...

DarkGardevoir
08-18-2007, 02:27 PM
Well, in contest we cannot use DP moves now :sad:. Plus, when every I try to gather people for a contest it has fallen through. Sadie has one ribbon I would love to do more contests. what can we do, if nobody offer to find them from the game and put them here?

In DP I think it is 4 rounds and the one with the lowest stats attacks first. Dunno maybe the format could work. True they appeal to different judges. However, the DP style would be fun to try. hasn't gottenDP yet, so can't ay anything on this. but of the little i know, i doubt it could work.

The rules for kicking people out of the contest or making their Pokemon inactive needs to be more strict. I sat for a month with two people not posting. 1 week 2 week three week inactive judge plus and more. sigh...
yeah, i agree. And the inactive judge is mostly my fault, as I'm the one disappearing for weeks. *apologizes*

turbo123212321
08-20-2007, 12:57 AM
Make it like the Anime. And make it free.

AmericanTreeFrog
08-20-2007, 01:44 AM
Since I used yo be active in contest threads, I still would be if they showed a little life, I will insert my two cents.

1: I think some new judges should be picked or some of the old ones could at least attempt to do their jobs

2: I think we should have more incentives such as a tournement and extra rewards.

3: The system needs a reaul incertain ares. The contest moves need to be updated and the berries cost as much as a tm. And if yo're only a coodinator you barely earn enough money to afford them, so the money should be upped a tad.

4: The amount of rounds should stay the same, it may take time but if rounds are cut the combo's will be hard to get and the crowd bonus could be jeporized.

5: Me and St have Dp so I could help with the rehaul.

I might come re-edit this.

Jack of Clovers
08-20-2007, 07:32 PM
How about any judge can post and outcome of the round that way it can go faster.
The problem with that are those that send attacks via Private Message. Besides, I like having 1 Judge per contest.

Make it free, or at least cheaper. I haven't gotten into Contests yet because I have no money to do so. Or, at least, make decking out one of your Pokemon free, so people can put their feet into the contests without actually losing money if they'd find out its fun.
That sounds like an interesting idea. An official thread to join URPG contests, where you can pick out some berries for free to start. I will also look at the Berry prices and see what I can do, but keep in mind, berries can also be used in battle.
Also, being able to enter only one at once is a bummer. With forum battles, those who don't have AIM can enter 3 at once. Since I don't think contests over AIM have ever worked well, why not allow people to be in 3 contests as well?
I raised it to 3 contests a month and a half ago. :P But we still need more judges.

Sure, if you want to be judge, you can give it a shot. Heck, anyone probably could do it as long as they read and understand how contests work. It's not too hard, it just takes time to figure everything out. Even I am still in the learning process.
As far as suggestions... D/P moves have to be implemented as I don't think they have been as of yet and tbh forum contest take forever and a day to complete.

Just the same i'd like this part of the URPG become more active as I've had fun with the two contest I've entered.
Yea, I'll start working on DP moves being added. Some will need to be tweeked a bit.
@ 2nd comment: The one contest I was in was fun, even though I got last. lol.

@ball: actually, 2 judges. Me and ATF, because Lep doesn't have much time, and nobody does AIM contests.
I'm kinda on limited time these days. :(

I guess I've covered every post there. As I said, I had an idea for the Grand festival tournament, where the prize wouldn't have been a legendary, that if another GF tourney would've been held you would lose, but a Pokemon that many desired to have, and that you'll be bragging forever.

I won't spoil who i wanted to use as prize because I don't think this tournament will be done unless the contest forum will receive an assault of contestants.
A tournament, cool. But first, we need to fix up activity.
Since I used to be active in contest threads, I still would be if they showed a little life, I will insert my two cents.

1: I think some new judges should be picked or some of the old ones could at least attempt to do their jobs
I'm always open for Judge Applications. As long as they understand how contests work, I'll accept them.

2: I think we should have more incentives such as a tournement and extra rewards.
Agree. I'm thinking about reworking the contest structure.

3: The system needs a reaul incertain ares. The contest moves need to be updated and the berries cost as much as a tm. And if yo're only a coodinator you barely earn enough money to afford them, so the money should be upped a tad.
I'll work on prices. Probably lowering berries and raising winners/wages a bit.

Basically, what I see we need the most right now are more judges, upgraded moves list, and creating a better Contest structure that people will be interested in. And of course, I'll need to be more active. heh.

~Jack~

Lord Celebi
08-20-2007, 08:51 PM
That sounds like an interesting idea. An official thread to join URPG contests, where you can pick out some berries for free to start. I will also look at the Berry prices and see what I can do, but keep in mind, berries can also be used in battle

I don't mean handing out berries. Say make a thread where you sign up and say the first Pokemon you're going to use in a contest and the stat you want on it. Then you can give it so much luster in that stat (One time only, of course, and the amount of luster could be 1/4 full, 1/2 full, or a random number rolled in AIM). That would let people get into contests without dropping money and deciding they don't like it.

Fossil Fusion
08-21-2007, 07:35 AM
That sounds like an interesting idea. An official thread to join URPG contests, where you can pick out some berries for free to start. I will also look at the Berry prices and see what I can do, but keep in mind, berries can also be used in battle.

~Jack~

With the berries. You could put them in the Pokemart as Hold Items and price them differently for Battles and Contests. Like Salac Berry for Battles $4500? :P Then Salac Berry for Contests like $2000 or something. Just an idea.

DarkGardevoir
08-21-2007, 07:56 AM
With the berries. You could put them in the Pokemart as Hold Items and price them differently for Battles and Contests. Like Salac Berry for Battles $4500? :P Then Salac Berry for Contests like $2000 or something. Just an idea.

i was thinking about that too.

ball
08-21-2007, 10:24 AM
About berries priced different for battles and contests, I wouldn't really see a point. Sure, they need to be cheaper, but a salac berry that can only be used once in a battle is still too expensive, heck, 4.5k is what a tm would cost, and with one use, meh, even for elite battles they are too pricey. I would say, keep the berries together, and lower the prices for both.

Mitsuzo-kun
08-21-2007, 10:36 AM

I like that idea. I might post some Coordinator stats later today, but I'm unsure about the whole thing.

Berries to get you started sounds like a great idea.

DarkGardevoir
08-22-2007, 07:53 AM
About berries priced different for battles and contests, I wouldn't really see a point. Sure, they need to be cheaper, but a salac berry that can only be used once in a battle is still too expensive, heck, 4.5k is what a tm would cost, and with one use, meh, even for elite battles they are too pricey. I would say, keep the berries together, and lower the prices for both.

Hello? Held items are meant for important battles, not a day-by-day battle. If you think they're way high, get over with it. After all, if you have recycle you can always get them back after the use.

ball
08-22-2007, 09:56 AM
Hello? Held items are meant for important battles, not a day-by-day battle. If you think they're way high, get over with it. After all, if you have recycle you can always get them back after the use.

I do understand that the held-berries are for important battles only, but so far it would be worth using them only in elite battles, and even then, In a really important battle you wouldn't really have the time to use recycle, since that would really the berries that most likely would be used would cost more than you get by winning.In an elite battle, recycle would be a major waste of move. I'm just saying that if the berry prices should be lowered, they should be lowered the same, for battles and for contests.

Jack of Clovers
08-23-2007, 07:03 AM
I'm just saying that if the berry prices should be lowered, they should be lowered the same, for battles and for contests.

Agreed. With two separate prices, it would be hard to monitor if someone buys the contest berry (lower price) and uses it for battle. I think an overall lowering would be best. I'll make some edits now and see what you guys think.

So, as I was working on adding DP moves, some things I noticed:
-- No new combo moves. Meaning, we don't add any, or make some up. I think we should just leave it.
-- No Jams are used in DP contests. All attacks are positive.
-- Not to mention, it's hard figuring out what is the best translation to fit our format. Some I'm kinda 'making up'.

I'm up to I right now, will finish up by Friday.

~Jack~

Rpgraccoon
08-23-2007, 02:28 PM
I know this isn't quite contest related. However, with the update to contest could an update to the hold items be in the works? I know I'd use hold items If I could get Poison sludge, Berries Toxic orb, Burn Orb, (Plus the % that type items increased damage went up ) and other goodies are reasonable prices.

Hey if all else fails. How about buying a tree, Then having the tree sprout 4 berries every week/month or something. Well, that may be a bit difficult.

I hope contests become popular. Also, I hope berries become a reasonable option for battles. Possible you could have it that when used in battle the berries does not go away. That way the contest pricing could stay high and battle pricing could stay high.