PDA

View Full Version : Corking a Bat

Nick_Roge
08-17-2007, 04:33 PM
Okay, my dad says that if you cork a bat, you can hit a baseball farther. How can this be true? A corked bat would be less dense, have less weight, and therefore have less inertia and potential energy.

P.S.: If possible can you show an equation?

AXELYOSHI
08-17-2007, 04:35 PM
lol I couldn't really show you an equation but it seems like it would work.:wink:

Orthar
08-17-2007, 05:09 PM
Okay, my dad says that if you cork a bat, you can hit a baseball farther. How can this be true? A corked bat would be less dense, have less weight, and therefore have less inertia and potential energy.

P.S.: If possible can you show an equation?
The cork adds some sort of an extra bounce, as I understand.

lucky5511
08-19-2007, 09:37 PM
yeah im a baseball player. With a corked bat it adds more pop. Which makes the ball travel furhter.

I can't realy give you an equation but I can give you a better example. You see a baseball Has a cork in the middle and yarn and leather around that. Therefore the baseball will be harder, more compact, and heavier. But you see without that cork the ball wouldn't go anywhere. It would kind of be like a woofle ball. Same principle with a corked bat.

Phantom Kat
08-25-2007, 08:59 PM
Okay, I saw this on Mythbusters (MB FTW!) and they showed that it does the complete opposite of what people think.

The cork actually absorbs the impact of teh ball, not the other way around.

The showed some kind of equation on the episode but I can't recall it. ^^;

- Kat