PDA

View Full Version : PC or Mac

Shozuka
08-22-2007, 01:54 AM
My big brother is going to get a laptop, but he doesn't know which to choose. PC or Mac?
Voice your Choice, and i'll pick the most reasonable post. :D

Larvinator
08-22-2007, 02:11 AM
Based on personal experience, Macs are the way to go. They run very fast, assuming you have a good internet connection, and my Macbook Pro laptop has not once gotten a virus while my other PC has had virus spasm attacks on three occasions now.

They also VERY rarely freeze up, even if you've got 3 or more large programs running at once.

Kenny_C.002
08-22-2007, 04:31 AM
Linux, therefore I'd have to go with PC.

Based on personal experience, Macs are the way to go. They run very fast, assuming you have a good internet connection, and my Macbook Pro laptop has not once gotten a virus while my other PC has had virus spasm attacks on three occasions now.

Well a fast internet connection speeds both up, so it shouldn't be used as comparison. The second does have merit, considering that there are very few mac users in comparison to Windows users. While we're at it, PC vs. Mac is at its heart a hardware comparison. However, EVERY SINGLE Mac vs. PC commercial is a comparison between the softwares Windows and OS-X.

They also VERY rarely freeze up, even if you've got 3 or more large programs running at once.

Both OS's are stable enough to be rare in the freeze up, though I must say that XP is a bit weak in comparison to Os-X, but it's also where Linux just kinda owns them both and not talk much about it (due to its difficulty of use).

Josh
08-22-2007, 05:07 AM
Linux, therefore I'd have to go with PC.

You are my favourite PE2K mod now! :D

What does your brother intend on doing? There's no point blowing a heap of money on features he's not going to use.

Dr Scott
08-22-2007, 05:44 AM
I'd go PC ^^.

-PC's have a lot more gaming capablities / more games for it.
-Mac's have less viruses because it is generally less used.
-The "Mac vs. PC" commercials are just annoying ... I mean, if I went ahead and picked some really ugly Chimchar or a really awesome, powerful one, which would you choose? It's basically the sign of being desperate and obvious ;P.
-PC's are more suited for businesses.

Basically, Macs are for the casual user, or for a first time user that wants something pretty simple ...

PC's are for the more serious computer users ^^.

Though Vista is odd xD.

Ravager
08-22-2007, 06:21 AM
Macs, my fam. has miillions of macs, we are a mac family, pcs are crap, look at this picture:

http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/5553/imackeyboard420070807vn0.jpg

a pc neds a whole freakin harddrive int hat box and all thsoe wires, this mac isnt a Laptop, but which looks more appelaing, more peopel hgave pcs, but studies have shown MACS are more reliable computers.

PC stands for: Piece of Crap.

dont even try to debate with me, cause I know everythiung about macs and how much they own pc's

Josh
08-22-2007, 07:03 AM
Macs, my fam. has miillions of macs

Are those all the paperweights that used to be "powerful" but now are useless because a new Mac came out.

And EVERY computer needs a harddrive. How else would they store the OS and other data on there?

And those studies probably aren't the most accurate ones. For instance, they probably only tested it with Windows. Linux is an alternative that can be more reliable than Windows.
Secondly, PCs can be just as, or more reliable than Macs. A lot of situations where PCs get viruses are from PEBKACs.

And PC stands for Personal Computer in actual fact. Hence why it's not PoC.

Furthermore, that Dell picture, several things wrong there. There is much too much wire there, even for a PC. Any lead that long can be arguably illegal.

You might want to give an unbiased opinion when posting in threads like this.

And most benchmark results for Macs are very pathetic, by the way.

pokeman
08-22-2007, 09:18 AM
I'd pick PC for obvious reasons that everyone said.

Paper Luke
08-22-2007, 09:43 AM
It all depends.

My advice, go into PC world, or where ever he's getting his laptop, and tell them what he wants.

'Good Memory,
Gaming capabilities,
Wireless access built in,
Light,
Cheap'

'Ah, you want the XXX...'

thirty-six
08-22-2007, 10:16 AM
Go for a windows laptop. I use a mac, but what are you going to use it for? If it's for internet and school work go for windows. I use my mac for watching ownloaed tv shows, internet and itunes. Oh an my course that I finished and new course that I'll start, my uni uses G4s and fonts / program compatibility kinda was gai.
So go for pc for fun, and mac if your going for a career that uses them.

Kenny_C.002
08-22-2007, 12:54 PM
Oh yeah, those that like to watch anime, stick with Windows, considering that there is much less hassle looking for codecs outside of mp4 and avi. Linux as far as I know has weak support in this category, considering all of the tutorials I've found for playing certain formats bombed. XD

Reliability of computers:
From a hardware perspective, Macs are weaker than PC's. This translates to lesser reliability in that sense. From a software perspective (and that's what the study can show), OS-X is more stable than Windows.

Wiring:
PCs and macs have the same amount of wiring. The only real difference is that the PCs tend to have a lot more peripherals (since most peripherals are designed for PCs only) than Macs, giving the illusion that PCs have more wiring than Macs, when in reality this is not the case. Simply said, if you want a Webcam for your Mac, you still need to shell out and wire up for it like a PC user.

Price:
Macs do tend to be more expensive than PC's for the same specs. This is just the natural evolution of hardware, since hardware is developed for PC's first.

3rd Party Support:
Windows desroys Macs hands down in this one. Companies focus their support to where the market is largest. When they develop a new program, it will always go to Windows first before porting it to OS-X. Patch releases and fixes for Windows are generally about 1 year ahead of OS-X patches and fixes.

XP vs. Vista:
XP > Vista.

For XXX purposes:
OS-X or Linux. Though it doesn't matter which hardware you use. Neither will likely catch a virus, though Linux would be even less likely than Mac to catch anything. XD

Verdict:
Really the bottom line when you're considering is whether or not you want to get OS-X or Linux on your computer, and how much is price worth. If you don't mind paying premium for the hardware, go with the Mac, and dual boot between Windows and OS-X, though a triple boot, using Linux as well, is possible. If your brother doesn't have the money to shell out for just being able to use OS-X, then go with a PC Laptop.

Tamer Marco
08-22-2007, 12:58 PM
Honestly, everything runs and works better on a Mac other than gaming. And I just...hate Vista so badly.

Ravager
08-22-2007, 06:50 PM
Are those all the paperweights that used to be "powerful" but now are useless because a new Mac came out.

And EVERY computer needs a harddrive. How else would they store the OS and other data on there?

And those studies probably aren't the most accurate ones. For instance, they probably only tested it with Windows. Linux is an alternative that can be more reliable than Windows.
Secondly, PCs can be just as, or more reliable than Macs. A lot of situations where PCs get viruses are from PEBKACs.

And PC stands for Personal Computer in actual fact. Hence why it's not PoC.

Furthermore, that Dell picture, several things wrong there. There is much too much wire there, even for a PC. Any lead that long can be arguably illegal.

You might want to give an unbiased opinion when posting in threads like this.

And most benchmark results for Macs are very pathetic, by the way.

1. That picture is from the Apple Pagee, so its real budddy

2. PC's are way too slow, and They need a flippin box to store ll their stuff, while the Mac just stores it in the monitor.

3. PC's have notthing on macs.

so pc people, you dont stand a chance.

Neo Emolga
08-22-2007, 08:14 PM

2. PC's are way too slow, and They need a flippin box to store ll their stuff, while the Mac just stores it in the monitor.

3. PC's have notthing on macs.

so pc people, you dont stand a chance.

Mac zealot alert!

It all depends on the hardware, buddy. My problem with Macs is that if you want to upgrade your hardware, you need a whole new computer. Plus, Macs are way more expensive. And many of them still have the tower.

And yeah, like Kenny said, the Mac fails when it comes to peripherals. Plus, I like being able to custom build my computer the way I want to. I'll admit, Macs are good for a lot of things, but I'm a heavy gamer, its definitely not the route I'd take. Macs are really made for those people who work in intensive graphic design and that kind of thing.

Black63
08-22-2007, 08:19 PM
wat is that even
a question mac pwns
r u crazy:surp:

Ravager
08-22-2007, 08:30 PM
macs rule no doubt about it.

Pc's arent as reliable and the reason why macs may cost more sometimes is that they are BETTER.

and the new imac only costs 1000 dollars, where as the pcs cost like 4000

Shozuka
08-22-2007, 08:45 PM

Pc's arent as reliable and the reason why macs may cost more sometimes is that they are BETTER.

Did you make a typo? Did you mean 400?

Mac cost hell more money than PC's.

My brother is thinking of getting a Dell Inspiron for 500 bucks.

Neo Emolga
08-22-2007, 08:50 PM

You're making a lot of stuff up, along with nothing but bombastic Mac comments...

Not to mention you contradicted even yourself with untrue statements. >.<

Tory vs Meaty II
08-22-2007, 08:58 PM
I rarely see anyone with a iMac computer. I haven't even use one. Almost everyone that I know have Windows.

I haven't use Vista yet. I still have XP. Hey Kenny, what is the less expection for Vista?

Josh
08-22-2007, 09:16 PM
I rarely see anyone with a iMac computer. I haven't even use one. Almost everyone that I know have Windows.

I haven't use Vista yet. I still have XP. Hey Kenny, what is the less expection for Vista?

I wasn't doubting the reality of the Mac, I was doubting the reality of the length of those leads on the Dell.

But apart from that, you haven't given a real argument as to why they are better.

Kenny_C.002
08-23-2007, 06:09 AM

Vista's too buggy right now. Give Microsfot another 3 years and you'll get a decent Vista. Until then, XP is better. Funny thing is that you don't see problems like this with Linux's "bi-yearly release schedules"...

Charbok
08-23-2007, 03:01 PM
Well, it really depends.

Macs are better, they run faster and are alot better for artistic purposes such as music, movies etc. The only thing that windows really beats them in is cost and more games.

If you're a gamer: Get a PC

Anything Else: Get a Mac

My mac (which only has a 450Mhz Processor) has never crashed on me, and my windows, which we keep very clean and tidy, crashes alot.

Bottom Line: Macs are worse for games and more expensive, but they own windows in everything else.

Josh
08-23-2007, 09:14 PM
Did you consider that you version could just be unstable? Or that your hardware could be the problem?