PDA

View Full Version : Debate: Sunday or Monday?

paperfairy
02-13-2005, 09:24 PM
This is an ongoing debate at my school and church, so I thought I'd bring it here.

Is Sunday the first day or the week? Or is it Monday?

I believe it is Monday, due to the "Weekend Theory".

If Saturday, and Sunday, (and sometimes Friday) considered the weekend, and weekend means the end of the week;The end of the week, especially the period from Friday evening through Sunday evening. then Sunday is the last day of the week.

Discuss.

-PF

MystiKal
02-13-2005, 09:43 PM
From what I was told I think it's Sunday is the start of the week.

paperfairy
02-13-2005, 09:47 PM
Do you have anything to back this up? Anyone could tell you anything you know.

-PF

MystiKal
02-13-2005, 09:53 PM
Well I have heard loads of songs talking about how Sunday is the first day of the week so there.

paperfairy
02-13-2005, 11:15 PM
I hear songs telling my that Pokemon are my best friends, but how can a byte of data be your best friend?

-PF

sybersaur3000
02-14-2005, 01:25 AM
I think Sunday is the first day of the week since a million calenders show its first >>

MystiKal
02-14-2005, 02:02 AM
Lol yeah I totally forgot about that.

paperfairy
02-14-2005, 02:49 AM
There are also a "million" calendars with Sunday as the last day of the week. >>

-PF

MystiKal
02-14-2005, 02:54 AM
Actually 9 out of 10 calanders start with Sunday.

paperfairy
02-14-2005, 03:10 AM
Can you prove this statistic?

-PF

Neo Emolga
02-14-2005, 04:44 AM
I hear songs telling my that Pokemon are my best friends, but how can a byte of data be your best friend?

-PF

They're obviously talking about the characters, not always the games. If you look at it from that perspective, Mickey Mouse would be ink, cars would be ore, and people would be cells.

As for the question, technically the week should begin with Monday. God rested on the seventh day (Sunday), meaning the very first day of Earth's creation began with a Monday. Of course, not everyone believes that, but still, Saturday and Sunday are called the weekend. In my opinion, it's all contradictory with the calendars.

bronislav84
02-14-2005, 10:25 AM
Is it just me or are about 90% of Calendars in the US geared toward the Jewish Orthodox people? I mean the Calendars start with Sunday.

This also kinda disproves what Neo said above, since even Calendars used by Christians (who are the Majority) also start on Sunday.

As little kids we are taught "Sunday, Monday, ..."

I myself am Jewish, just not as Religious as the Orthodox Jews. I've always wondered why the Calendars seem to be geared toward Jewish Orthodox people, while Christans are the Majority.

Kinda strange, right?

boltAge
02-14-2005, 10:32 AM
NP, I find using those religious beliefs in such debates really stupid >> I mean, what do you expect someone not of that religion to say? "Well, my God rested on another day" or something like that? Pfft.

Thanatos
02-14-2005, 12:19 PM
Monday is the start of the week. You rest at the end of the week, and start again on monday (school, full time work, etc.). You can't rest on the last day of the week, and the first, that's rediculous.

Loyal Arcanine
02-14-2005, 04:23 PM
Well, I've been told that Monday is the start of the workweek, and that Sunday is the actual first day of the week. That would mean that there's a day off at the start and at the end of the week, which doesn't seem very unlogical. But of course, since it's two days off after five days of work, people would start calling that the end of the week, and the first workday the first day of the week.

Sudo
02-14-2005, 07:44 PM
monday, monday, monday that is the start of the week!

LuigiWithCheese
02-14-2005, 11:06 PM
Who really cares? Time has no meaning, because in the end, we'll all end up the same way...

Dead! :twisted:

Steven
02-15-2005, 07:36 AM
So, is a mocking bird faster or slower at flying without legs? I mean legs add weight and air resisstance. :rolleyes:

What I'm getting at, is that this is a pointless conversation, no one really cares... but here's the truth of what I know

In America, the week starts on Sunday, in Mexico the week starts on Monday. That's how it is, but it doesn't matter because we all live on the same planet.

sybersaur3000
02-16-2005, 12:40 AM
Whats the real point of this...

Since I'm Muslim , the islamic calender starts with Saturday XD
I stick strong to Sunday...

paperfairy
02-16-2005, 01:14 AM
Monday is the start of the week. You rest at the end of the week, and start again on monday (school, full time work, etc.). You can't rest on the last day of the week, and the first, that's rediculous.

I completly agree with this. Why would you rest on te first day?

And I agree with Raik. Although I am a Christian, it's not very good to use religion in a debate.

@ Steven,Sudowoodo,Luigiw/Cheese:

If you have nothing to contribute to this conversation, don't add anything. That was all SPAM, and totally pointless.

-PF

JohtoTrainer
02-16-2005, 01:21 AM
Tuesday! Tuesday! Tuesday wins woot! Dominos Two Times Tuesday! Yay!

Eh, but seriousley, I guess technically, according to most calendars it starts with Sunday. But I agree with what DC said, since he's a genius. lol.

Matthew
02-16-2005, 06:22 AM
Well... let's see.... days of the week are nothing but labels.... so it is really pointless to debate which day is the first day of the week because you have so many beliefs out there.... it is an irrelevant topic to debate about because there are so many calendars out there... and it is impossible to declare which is the first day because people are diffrent, so the anwser is going to be diffrent most of the time...

As for me, I believe that Monday is the first day, solely due to the fact that that is how my life goes along.... start school on Monday, the beginning of the weekm and end it sunday.... the day of rest, which ties in to my religious beleifs because 'God' rested on teh last day, the sabbath.. .though I am not religous at all... lol.... Meh... it all depends on how you were rased... so I am declaring that debating this topic is, of course, obsolete...

Thanatos
02-16-2005, 06:25 AM
Tuesday! Tuesday! Tuesday wins woot! Dominos Two Times Tuesday! Yay!

Eh, but seriousley, I guess technically, according to most calendars it starts with Sunday. But I agree with what DC said, since he's a genius. lol.

Biggest Genius under Alakazam! lol :wink2:

I'm with Matthew, this is irrevalent. Lock time.

ashkelon
02-16-2005, 02:15 PM
In business, the "fiscal year" can start wherever you want it to, but the calendar year always starts with Jan 01. At my company, things like vacation, sick time, year-centric benefits all are tied to the fiscal year, not the calendar year.

So, Sunday is the start of the calendar week, and Monday is typically the start of the business week. Pretty much the same.

Actually, the calendar on my PDA can be adjusted to start the week with either Monday or Sunday. I also think the one in the DS can be formatted that way (I don't have mine at work today, so I can't check).

Phoenix004
02-16-2005, 05:46 PM
Sunday is the official first day of the week. You want proof? Look at a calendar. Most calendars start with Sunday as the beginning of the week. Also in the Bible, God rested on the 7th day (known as the Sabbath day) which is why Jews don't work on a Saturday, proving that Saturday is the 7th day in the week. Since there are 7 days in a week this must mean that Sunday is the start of the week. People only think of Monday as the first day because Monday is the first day of the "Working Week."

Tamer Marco
02-16-2005, 06:03 PM
Actually, for the guys for thinking the sabbath is Sunday, it's actually Saturday. Yeah. King James ripped the bible when it came to Europe, and said that Sunday is the Sabbath. If you check your facts, it's actually Saturday as far as the Sabbath and all goes.

Monday. For what Thanatos said.

Pfft, I didn't read Pheonix's post, he got to it first... x_X

paperfairy
02-16-2005, 09:46 PM
You guys are right. We need a lock up in this peace. I just thought it was something to debate about. I guess I was wrong.

-PF

Steven
02-17-2005, 04:47 AM
Well paperfairy, I think we all have that third party vote of. "who cares?" and I know that I, for one, was proving a point. They are just labels that mean nothing except for people to know one day from another.

Techno Treecko
02-17-2005, 12:40 PM
Look at your calender fool, your own specific schedule does not mean a thing if you have a calendar that specifically states the exact start of every week. Your job, your school, and your very life may revolve on different standards, and for each person the “beginning of every week” could depend on their own circumstances, but the official start in the United States of America, and many other parts of the world, is and always will be Sunday.

Jack of Clovers
02-17-2005, 05:52 PM
Religious reasons, bah. The week starts on Sunday because that's when the advertisements come out. Then you have a whole week to buy things until next Sunday when more advertisements come out. And why Sunday? Because people are resting and most likely have nothing to do so they go shopping after reading the ads that come with the paper. lol.
And it's called Weekend because Sunday and Saturday are the ends to the Weekdays in the middle.
:goofy:

~Jack~

Hypocrisy is Fun
04-17-2005, 03:19 AM
I say Monday also because of the "Weekend Theroy" that was stated

Neo Emolga
04-17-2005, 03:29 AM
I say Monday also because of the "Weekend Theroy" that was stated

You have really got to stop reviving old threads like there's no tomorrow.

If the last post was over a month ago and its not stickied, then don't post there. This is old news and no one really wants to talk about it all over again.