PDA

View Full Version : Pokémon Role Play Guidelines

Marill
03-17-2004, 09:20 PM
RP Hints and Tips

Below is a guide to help better a role play. People may refer to this thread while creating a role play, and may add on to the hints and tips!

1) Limit Your Character’s Power

While engaging in a Role Play, be sure that your character(s) are mortal and human, not “Gods.” If one is injured, let them be injured, not healed automatically. Unless specified, notice that one should not “teleport” to and fro, and must journey to the desired area(s). If capturing a pocket monster, one may try to make the battle scenario believable, and not just merely walk up to the creature and tossing a Poké-Ball. (Unless for ironic or comedic purposes.) If you are absent for a lengthy time period, you may desire to contact the RP official and ask to be put on auto-follow. This leads to another point.

2) Leaving

Do not join if you intend to leave, may leave, or are unsure of your commitment to the game. This puts everyone else in a predicament, and makes the creator write your character off, even if your character is extremely influential. The only time to quit an RP is when it is completed, or the game master verifies it.

3) Entries

Be sure that each post is descriptive, and helps move the plot along. Whenever an RP is in a bind, help it by posting. Also, allow yourself to not be ‘stuck’, and try not to slow down the Role Play, unless otherwise directed. Be sure that each post has a point, and will ultimately better the game.

4) Have Fun!

Even though there are guidelines, the most important rule is to have fun! Be creative, invent new situations, and become the character. The fun aspect is the life force of an Role Play…help sustain it!

HKim
03-18-2004, 03:20 PM
Thread Stickied.

Tamer Marco
03-18-2004, 03:27 PM
You should also try to make RP battles more realistic. Like if A Blastoise hit's a Blaziken with Hydro Pump you know it's gone. :wink:

bronislav84
03-20-2004, 12:23 AM
Here are some General Rules, I imported from Japanime1312:

Rule's:

Give other people a chance to post.
Do not control other people's characters (A.K.A. Bunnying) without permission from them.
Please don't create an inappropriate RP. (hentai, drugs, etc.)
If you don't like someones RP, don't reply, this could lead to your post being deleted.
Do not god mode. (Saying you never get hit, a direct blow didn't even hurt you.)

Proper way to fight:

Character 1: *Fires at the Second character.*

Character 2: *Is hit and falls to the ground, then fires at the first character.*

Character 1: *Dodges the bullets.*

Improper way to fight:

Character 1: *Fires and kills the second character and gore goes all over the place.*

Character 2: *Is still alive and kills the first character.*

Character: *Is still alive and kills the other character by bitting his head off.*

KenshinU
03-23-2004, 11:33 PM
A.K.A. my forum. ^-^

PS: RD was the one who wrote it, so the credid should go to him. :smile:

Ninja Emperor
03-25-2004, 11:11 PM
Heh, at first I was surprised to see you Kenshin, reply in here, but then I took a closer look and everything became cleare, lol By the way your white font isn't working here, I tried that, but on your forum it works just great! :wink:

Agent Orange
06-26-2004, 08:42 PM
IMO, Sometimes adding smilees to RP posts seems a little Unprofessional.

Marill
02-23-2005, 10:14 PM
Man, this thread is a dinosaur! Maybe we should create a newer/up-to-date thread?

I agree with you, Dark Pikachu. I also believe, that unless otherwise denoted specifically, each RP post should be written in narrative-style. This means, do not use *'s to indicate actions from dialogue, as it should be apparent within your post. Most Role Player's prefer that each individual post in a Third-Person Point of View, usually Limited as well. However, if the Game-Master doesn't note otherwise, it is alright for one to post in First-Person. Omniscient-style RP posts are usually frowned upon, I'd like to point out.

Anyway... Keep it up! Any more hints/tips?

Pierre25
03-29-2005, 12:29 AM
I would like to find out where to fill out this form!

Kid_Lugia
04-23-2005, 08:55 PM
yeah me too.

Angelface the second
05-17-2005, 01:35 AM
NARRITIVE STYLE!!! NONONO!!!
It has to be a script!!! Or a conversation!!! OR A DIARY!!! No narritives!

Matt
05-17-2005, 01:39 AM
Lets take a look at the best seller list: what's this? ALMOST EVERY SINGAL NOVEL IS NARRATIVE. (as well as almost every RP, just to point out)

Lets take a look at the noob list: Angelface the second...

The Elite Ygseto
05-17-2005, 01:57 AM
I would like to put in, do not make a RP similar to VPP.

Marill
05-17-2005, 09:11 PM
And that should go for every RP in general. Don't make a duplicate/similiar RP without permission from the author of the original RP. Even if you are unsure of the closeness of similarities, you should check as well.

!CeMAn
05-19-2005, 05:34 AM
what if you invent an RP idea that is similar and the creator of the original refuses to let you do it?

Marill
05-19-2005, 12:44 PM
Well, if it is loosely similiar, it will most likely be decided on a case-to-case basis by a Moderator. They will have to look at the original thread to see how close it is to being the same RP. If they find its different enough to role play, then you can. However, if it incorporates the same ideas/schemes/plot and/or fighting techniques/specialties, then it will most likely not fly. Did I help clarify this for you?

!CeMAn
05-20-2005, 04:23 AM
i suppose you did... what if i just do it anyway?

Marill
05-25-2005, 06:29 PM
Well, what is your role-play centered on? Unless it's something like VPP, I'd say go for it. The Role Play section needs to be shocked back alive.... So, do it! If it's something that blatantly is a copy, a G-Mod will step in. Otherwise, have fun!

!CeMAn
05-25-2005, 08:57 PM
it incorporates VPP ideas. actually just one idea. posts = level-up. but there are other RP's with that aspect and they're allowed. at least mine goes beyond just flooding threads with pointless posts just to get a post so your pokemon gains a level.

Marill
05-25-2005, 10:49 PM
Is it a standard RP with leveling up as you post? If so, I dare say it is allowed. That is typical of most RP's, to create a way to keep people from becoming too powerful. Just make sure it's not the same number of posts, and if you could at all make it slightly different, then you're good to go. If not, then I would contact HKim, Neo Pikachu, Zenaku, and/or Kenny. They're the only G-Mods I can think of that have ties to RP'ing. Anyway, I hope I helped you.

!CeMAn
05-26-2005, 05:21 AM
well i doubt it is a standard RP. i've peek into a few of them and this one doesn't seem to fit the mold. the level ups are different, i guess. fewer posts for sure. tell you what: you have a lil VPP in your sig, right? you're familiar with it, right? look at MY sig and decide how similar they are. the big problem here is a few haters just don't want me having any fun by "ripping-off" theirs. something like:

:cry: "no! nobody can do anything like VPP! it's MY idea! whah! whaahh! i only want people to come to ME for VPP!" :cry:

i think the individual, who will remain nameless, is just pissed cuz he banned me from VPP so i made my own RP and he can't do anything about it.

you've been rather helpful, marill! can i interest you in joining an iVp quest :cool:?