PDA

View Full Version : Gyarados

Dark_Azelf
08-27-2007, 01:05 PM
Ok i have a bit of a problem with my Gyarados as to what moves it should have.

It currently is

Gyarados@Leftovers
Adamant Nature
252 Attack 200 Speed 52 Hp
- Stone Edge
- Waterfall
- Taunt
- Dragon Dance

Taunt and Dragon Dance are needed so im not changing those, but Stone Edge and Waterfall cover ever type in the game for at least neutral i believe, However i want to swap Stone Edge for Earthquake as it has better accuracyand kills Electivire, but with Waterfall and Earthquake ill get walled by Salamence. Ice Fang is an Option but it only works with Earthquake for good Type Coverage, and with Ice Fang and Earthquake it lacks a STAB move.

So i really need help deciding, any suggestions?

Cool Kid 94
08-27-2007, 01:08 PM
Well EQ and Stone Edge are only 20 less than Water, AND they cover every type in the game for neutral.

Dark_Azelf
08-27-2007, 01:12 PM
Well EQ and Stone Edge are only 20 less than Water, AND they cover every type in the game for neutral.

Hmm yea that could be an option, but then it lacks a STAB move

Cool Kid 94
08-27-2007, 01:18 PM
It doesn't need one that badly because it's only missing 20 power. With a few Dragon Dances you should be able to make up for the loss...

Dark_Azelf
08-27-2007, 01:22 PM
It doesn't need one that badly because it's only missing 20 power. With a few Dragon Dances you should be able to make up for the loss...

Ah ok thanks ill try that then.

Cool Kid 94
08-27-2007, 01:32 PM
Otherwise replace Taunt for Waterfall, Taunt's just for walls, right? IMO you shouldn't have a move like that over a STAB move.

Rizaadon
08-27-2007, 02:13 PM
Perhaps consider replacing Taunt so you can have a move offensive moveset.

- Waterfall
- EQ
- Stone Edge
- Dragon Dance

Like Cool Kid 94 said, a couple of Dragon Dances should make up for the loss and 1.5*80=120... only 20 more that EQ and Stone Edge.

Hyper Blaze
08-27-2007, 02:17 PM
Drop Taunt for Ice Fang, and Drop Stone Edge for EQ.

Dark_Azelf
08-27-2007, 02:45 PM
Drop Taunt for Ice Fang, and Drop Stone Edge for EQ.

Otherwise replace Taunt for Waterfall, Taunt's just for walls, right? IMO you shouldn't have a move like that over a STAB move.

Perhaps consider replacing Taunt so you can have a move offensive moveset.

- Waterfall
- EQ
- Stone Edge
- Dragon Dance

Like Cool Kid 94 said, a couple of Dragon Dances should make up for the loss and 1.5*80=120... only 20 more that EQ and Stone Edge.

yeah but then doesn't Skarmory come in and Whirlwind me away if i dont use Taunt ?

ronjocox
08-27-2007, 03:36 PM
I don't like the ev spread.

212hp/16atk/180def/100spd

That's bulky.

Dark_Azelf
08-27-2007, 04:25 PM
I don't like the ev spread.

That's bulky.

Ah this was something like i wanted it to be like initially.

So this ?

Gyrados@ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
212hp/16atk/180def/100spd
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Taunt
- Dragon Dance

??

And thanks to everyone for your input

-Holland-
08-27-2007, 05:42 PM
Well, this is my Gyrados:

--Earthquake
--Ice Fang
--Waterfall
--Dragon Dance

...Typically I put this on my Dragon team because when you have Dragons, it becomes Dragon vs. Dragon. That way, Ice Fang puts down some like Salamence and Dragonite like nothing. Waterfall is an excellent STAB move for Gyrados, so that's simple. Dragon Dance is self explanatory, and Earthquake is to dispatch of Electric types (I don't see why Electivire is so great. I'd rather a Jolteon, but meh.)

Mysticjason
08-27-2007, 06:07 PM
That doesn't mean it can cover every pokemon for neutral damage. Example: Claydol and Bronzong, who are immune to earthquake and resists stone edge.

Cool Kid 94
08-27-2007, 06:29 PM
That doesn't mean it can cover every pokemon for neutral damage. Example: Claydol and Bronzong, who are immune to earthquake and resists stone edge.

Well I wasn't thinking abilities... but true, levitate can block it...

Skarmory can wall you anyways, since it's a Physical wall... But then again, with a few Dragon Dances, you'll be able to do some damage... IDK, Stone Edge and Earthquake do really well in type coverage, but Ice Fang would help too.

-Holland-
08-27-2007, 08:49 PM
In the case of Skarmory, Waterfall should do a good amount of damage, given the STAB advantage. Ice Fang won't do much, though.

Then again, you can always catch a Skarmory off-guard if it uses Roost. Just use Earthquake and it's probably close to fainting.

DragoniteMistress
08-27-2007, 09:10 PM

Unless you get slaughtered by an Electric-type move before you can squeeze in the DD. :neutral:

Rock Slide and Earthquake may be your best bet, despite the lack of STAB. However if a Skarmory wanders in then Aqua Tail would be better. With Levitate, Magnet Rise, and Flying-type Pokemon wandering about you may want Aqua Tail over Earthquake, since it has a higher attack power from STAB and can cover Ground-type Pokemon which Earthquake and Rock Slide miss out on.