PDA

View Full Version : Movesets/SkarmBliss

PKMN Trainer Nella
08-31-2007, 10:55 PM
Well, I have been studying movesets that experienced competitors have, and I've noticed that they only have two or one attacks, and sometimes even none.

I've usually had all-attack, and I heard that's bad. Some common strategies I've seen people use are the subsitute and leftovers. Is that really that great? After one attack, doesn't the subsitute fade? I've also seen people using light screen and reflect, how many stages does it raise your defences? I've seen it in action, and it works really well, but in the games, it said "raised slightly".

And everyone seems to have an "anti-skarmbliss". Does that mean Skarmony and Blissey make a devastating combination? And who would make a better anti-skarmbliss, a flamethrowring/exploding Skuntank, or a Hippowdon?

Thanks for your help. I really want to make a good team of "bad" Pokemon.

tonmon58
08-31-2007, 11:03 PM
there are counters for the skarm/bliss like infernape, blaziken...but it depends on how you use them in means of switching and predicting...using the weathers can eliminate certain types and put you in advantage...

ronjocox
08-31-2007, 11:06 PM
1st of all, that's why walls need supportive moves instead of all attack moves.

This is one example.

Blissey@Leftovers
~Focus Punch
~Ice Beam
~Pound
~Flamethrower

That's a terrible moveset. Whereas this is this is the best moveset for Bliss.

Blissey@Leftovers
~Seismic Toss
~Aromatherapy
~T-Wave
~Softboiled

Seismic toss is for damaging, armoatherapy means it's a cleric, T-Wave to cripple special sweepers, and softboiled to heal.

THe only decent counter(s) to SkarmBliss is exploding Magnezone, Electrivire, and Mixed Infernape.

Fire Away
08-31-2007, 11:06 PM
Well, I have been studying movesets that experienced competitors have, and I've noticed that they only have two or one attacks, and sometimes even none.

I've usually had all-attack, and I heard that's bad. Some common strategies I've seen people use are the subsitute and leftovers. Is that really that great? After one attack, doesn't the subsitute fade? I've also seen people using light screen and reflect, how many stages does it raise your defences? I've seen it in action, and it works really well, but in the games, it said "raised slightly".

And everyone seems to have an "anti-skarmbliss". Does that mean Skarmony and Blissey make a devastating combination? And who would make a better anti-skarmbliss, a flamethrowring/exploding Skuntank, or a Hippowdon?

Both of the Pokemon you mentioned are awful Skarmbliss counters, but out of the two Hippowdon is probably better. He can get Fire Fang, which hurts Skarmory, but you still don't have a really effective way to counter Blissey in his movepool. Don't call BL/UU pokemon bad, either. Hippowdon is OU, btw.

A Skarmbliss Counter needs to be a pokemon that has nice mixed sweeper stats, access to a fighting move and a electric/fire move. Electivire is a good example of this. I could think of some UU pokemon that counter Skarmbliss if I tried really hard, but they never have to deal with them in strictly UU play, so it's hard to pick just one out.

All-attack sets aren't bad, depending on the moveset. Choice sets practically require that you have all attacks (save for certain exceptions like Choice Scarf Roserade with Sleep Powder, which is awesome).

I'm pretty sure Light Screen/Reflect halve the damage of their respective attacks that they guard against.

tonmon58
08-31-2007, 11:13 PM
even hippowdon is not a great candidate...so yeah mixed sweeper works...blaziken is faster than both blissey and skarmory and it has more defenses than infernape plus blaziken can roost...another choice is togekiss...i actually beat a skarm/bliss with pure luck...using togekiss to flinch...modest with lefties and serene grace...I used T-wave + air slash...they did not attack at all...took out both in 4-5 hits.

PKMN Trainer Nella
08-31-2007, 11:14 PM
Oh, I didn't know I had an OU Pokemon.

I want to prepare for what awaits me in the WiFi Battles. Would a Pachirisu be ok?

Don't bash me yet!

Pachirisu paralyzes Skarmony, then I immediatly switch to Hippowdon. (I've never had problems with them when I use a Physical Attack, but they're ingame. I know there's a vast difference between in-games and WiFi.) Hippowdon can kill Blissey. Then I switch to the flamethrowring Skuntank, to take care of Skarmony (I've heard they don't have an impressive special defence).

Is that ok? Horrible? Taking a chance?

I'm nervous about doing WiFi for the first time. I've only played with my friends, who don't know the right way to control their Pokemon.

ronjocox
08-31-2007, 11:15 PM
Oh, I didn't know I had an OU Pokemon.

I want to prepare for what awaits me in the WiFi Battles. Would a Pachirisu be ok?

Don't bash me yet!

Pachirisu paralyzes Skarmony, then I immediatly switch to Hippowdon. (I've never had problems with them when I use a Physical Attack, but they're ingame. I know there's a vast difference between in-games and WiFi.) Hippowdon can kill Blissey. Then I switch to the flamethrowring Skuntank, to take care of Skarmony (I've heard they don't have an impressive special defence).

Is that ok? Horrible? Taking a chance?

I'm nervous about doing WiFi for the first time. I've only played with my friends, who don't know the right way to control their Pokemon.

When they see Hippowdon, skarmory comes in as soon as possible.

Also, Blissey can survive 2 EQs from Hippowdon, maybe 3.

Dark_Azelf
08-31-2007, 11:18 PM

All attack can be good for a Choice Band/Choice Scarf/Choice Specs Pokemon, as your locked into one move and it would be rather pointless to be locked into light screen for example.

Otherwise you almost always need at least one support/ stat altering move.

Competetive battling is very different than in game, alot of switching and predicting moves happens, they will switch to something that resists the move you use, so if you Send in a Machamp against a Blissey, who is weak to fighting, they will switch to a Gengar for example who resists fighting moves.

Substitute works in a very similar way you send in a Machamp against a Blissey for example and 9 times out of 10 if they are remotely good at battling they will switch and this is the time to put a substitute up.

SkarmBliss is a devistating combination as Skarmory resists Physical attacks and Blissey resists special attacks, this is where predicting comes in again , So if you predict a Flamethrower when skarmory is out, you switch to blissey, and if you predict a Cross Chop/Earthquake etc. when Blissey is out you switch to Skarmory.

Light Screen and Reflect up your Defense by 100% i think, im not entirely sure, so if your Clefables Special defense or defense is 50 for example, it doubles it to 100.

Skunktank isnt very good as that inst really his job to be an anti SkarmBliss,hes more of a Physical tank.

One of the best it tyraniboah

and its basically this

Tyranitar@Leftovers
EVS:252 HP 190 Sp.Att 68 Speed
Quiet Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Thunderbolt

You see, predicting again, Blissey commonly has Seismic Toss, and Tyraniboah makes 101 hp substitutes, and it cant break them as Siesmic Toss does 100 damage always, but more likely than not they will switch as Blissey dies to Physical attacks. Next turn you focus punch and if skarmory decides to show up use thunderbolt and they are both dead.

Hope ive helped

PKMN Trainer Nella
08-31-2007, 11:21 PM
I just remembered about Blissey and aromatherapy. T_T

Then who should I aim for first? Skarmony? Or Blissey? Or should I split between them? Seismic Tossing Blissey is dangerous, but if I take too much time on the Softboiling Blissey, then Skarmony will wipe out my team.

Dark_Azelf
08-31-2007, 11:24 PM
I just remembered about Blissey and aromatherapy. T_T

Then who should I aim for first? Skarmony? Or Blissey? Or should I split between them? Seismic Tossing Blissey is dangerous, but if I take too much time on the Softboiling Blissey, then Skarmony will wipe out my team.

Read my previous Post

PKMN Trainer Nella
08-31-2007, 11:30 PM
You posted while I was typing. o_o;

Tyrannitar can kill them, but, problem is, it's not on my team, and I don't like switching my Pokemon around. I hate losing, but I also hate changing my team around (I've bonded to pixels).

Also, how should I know if my Pokemon is best suited for having a choice item? Is that for the ones with low defence? And what would be a good stat altering move for Hippowdon? Would Stealth Rock and Slack Off do good? I'm also going to add Thunder Fang and Earthquake. Is that an ok moveset? I'm trying to learnn the proper way of team building, and I think I've improved much (I had a Flareon with fire blast, overheat, flamethrower, and body slam before).

Dark_Azelf
08-31-2007, 11:35 PM
You posted while I was typing. o_o;

Tyrannitar can kill them, but, problem is, it's not on my team, and I don't like switching my Pokemon around. I hate losing, but I also hate changing my team around (I've bonded to pixels).

Also, how should I know if my Pokemon is best suited for having a choice item? Is that for the ones with low defence? And what would be a good stat altering move for Hippowdon? Would Stealth Rock and Slack Off do good? I'm also going to add Thunder Fang and Earthquake. Is that an ok moveset? I'm trying to learnn the proper way of team building, and I think I've improved much (I had a Flareon with fire blast, overheat, flamethrower, and body slam before).

You have to switch during the battle obviously if you dont wanna loose.

Choice item users are something that has high special attack or attack and high speed, for Example Choice Scarf Heracross or Garchomp, Choice Specs Salamence, Choice Band Dugtrio.

Yes thats a great moveset for Hippowdon.

We all have to change our team , i hate using Blissey i hate, it hate, i hate it XD , but it does its Job like no other, theres a reason its called "The best Special wall in the game".

-Holland-
08-31-2007, 11:36 PM
Skarm/Bliss combos can be taken out depending on how you approach them. Mean Look and Block completely undoes the effectiveness of this combo, so you can always try that with a Snorlax or something.

Also, Substitute is very effective, and remains in effect if you use Baton Pass, which is a major advantage, especially if you've reserved a Pokemon with large stamina to put up the Substitute. Your best opening to use Substitute, as said before, is when the trainer switches.