PDA

View Full Version : Laggy/Slow Internet... [Lock Please]

Yggdrasill
09-02-2007, 10:37 AM
My internet is really annoying me at the moment, because it is going really, really slow. =/
It started around 3 days ago and it has been happening since then, it is taking nearly 3 times the time it would normally take to load any page.
It seems to have trouble mostly loading images, because any pages consisting mostly of text seem to load normally.

Basically, is there any way for me to find out the reason why this is happening? I've checked my internet connection and it's perfectly fine, and it isn't Firefox either, because I've checked IE and it's being it's usual slow self, but slower than that.

I've already done the recommended things: reloading the browser, clearing the cache, clearing the cookies/temporary files, restarting my computer, rebooting my internet and nothing seems to work. Any way to fix it?

Josh
09-03-2007, 05:53 AM
My internet is really annoying me at the moment, because it is going really, really slow. =/
It started around 3 days ago and it has been happening since then, it is taking nearly 3 times the time it would normally take to load any page.
It seems to have trouble mostly loading images, because any pages consisting mostly of text seem to load normally.

Basically, is there any way for me to find out the reason why this is happening? I've checked my internet connection and it's perfectly fine, and it isn't Firefox either, because I've checked IE and it's being it's usual slow self, but slower than that.

I've already done the recommended things: reloading the browser, clearing the cache, clearing the cookies/temporary files, restarting my computer, rebooting my internet and nothing seems to work. Any way to fix it?
Try scanning for viruses and/or contacting your ISP. It's possible your ISP could've slowed you if you've gone over your download limit and such.

Also, be careful on Gallifrey... Daleks might blow it up one day. ;)

Elitefrenzy
09-03-2007, 06:03 AM
Maybe Adware or Spyware, get you computer scanned to eliminate viruses, Spyware, etc. If your downloading games on your computer, maybe that's it, click start then go to control panel, there you can remove useless programs you won't need anymore. Or clear your viewing history, go to tools then internet options, then delete sites you recently visited to make interent faster. All of those helped me.

Yggdrasill
09-03-2007, 09:36 AM
Try scanning for viruses and/or contacting your ISP. It's possible your ISP could've slowed you if you've gone over your download limit and such.

Also, be careful on Gallifrey... Daleks might blow it up one day. ;)
Yeah, I've run a full system scan of my computer and no viruses were detected, maybe it's just that Norton isn't that good. I have no clue. =/

I'll be careful on Gallifrey, currently in the middle of the Time War. =P
Maybe Adware or Spyware, get you computer scanned to eliminate viruses, Spyware, etc. If your downloading games on your computer, maybe that's it
I bought an Adware detector a while ago and it hasn't found any. =/
I don't download games or anything that looks suspicious either, so I don't think it would be Spyware.

I'll try calling my ISP today and see if they can find the reason why it's going so slow.

Josh
09-03-2007, 09:52 AM
I'll be careful on Gallifrey, currently in the middle of the Time War. =P

Yeah, I've been fighting on the front lines at Arcadia.

Spyware can come in many shapes. I'd run Spybot to be safe. And not that it's a too often, but you could have too much stuff on your harddisk too.

Yggdrasill
09-03-2007, 10:13 AM
Yeah, I've been fighting on the front lines at Arcadia.

Spyware can come in many shapes. I'd run Spybot to be safe. And not that it's a too often, but you could have too much stuff on your harddisk too.
I ran away to the end of the Universe and hid myself in human form. =P
Which episode of Doctor Who has just aired where you are by the way?

I'll try clearing out a lot of files on my hard-drive, I have a lot of useless stuff that I don't use on my computer anyway. =P

Lord Celebi
09-03-2007, 03:28 PM
Its a Doctor Who thread!

No wait, its a computer thread. Eh, I'm good in both. Anyways, Virus/Spyware Scan, reboot, and check your ISP. If you're on a network, it could be possible that the computer sending the Internet Access just sucks, or it could have any of the ailments listed above.

Yggdrasill
09-03-2007, 03:40 PM
It's been solved now anyway. My ISP (Virgin Media *cough*) messed up something which affected lot's of people internet connections. So they've fixed it now. =P
Man, Virgin has got to be the worst ISP I've ever been with, and that's saying something. *Was with AOL at one point* >_<

I guess this can be locked now, Mods. =P