PDA

View Full Version : Regions?

Calypso
09-30-2007, 09:37 PM
Ehh. I didn't know whether or not to make a thread about the matter, but generally when you post in the "Spriting Questions" it gets ignored.

Seriously, I understand it's the new fad and all, but half of these posted, I foresee no future for. If you want to contribute then may I suggest you actually think of joining an existing one instead of creating an entirely new, futile thread, some of which, are run by those who can scarcely even sprite. Just so you know, this isn't aimed at everyone, just a certain few individuals that I shall not specify.

Can't we agree on an official region, maybe run by an art mod perhaps. It just seems stupid having countless separate threads.

Post your views/opinions here.

Shadow Eevee
09-30-2007, 09:44 PM
I agree, but not for an offical region. Besides, I find it annoying seeing a new thread every few hours.

Xtra
09-30-2007, 09:45 PM
Or perhaps pick the top 4 or so, and make some sort of world. I completely agree with you, Calypso. And most of them are probably made from this exact meaning.

Creator looks at Kansai. Creator makes a map, and likes it, Creator makes thread with strange name, it dies.

Poke-Lover
09-30-2007, 09:50 PM
I Agree you should only be allowed make a region if you can sprite....
Not just post a little bit of how to pronounce the name and then I Need someone to make pokemon and towns and stuff

pokemole
09-30-2007, 10:12 PM
i was going to make a thread like this but i didnt know if anyone would agree. i would like some joint regions so there would be hundreds of new pokemon.

Spriter
09-30-2007, 11:07 PM
I know. Halve the people here probably have at least 2 different regions. I have to disagree with the part about regions only being able to be made by good spriters. Of course, that would cut the numbers down by like a million :/ But, (Is mapping counted as good spriting?), My region [Kansai] is actually being quite sucessful, and it started out as me, asking for help :/ . I've noticed that most people that submit a sprite to a region, then it gets declined, start their own region, and it ends up dead. Back to the good spriters only part, that's not fair to the spriters who arn't good. Sorry, Poke-lover. One universal region would be a weird thing, but then you might as well make a new whole sub-forum devoted too it, thus not eliminating the individual regions, because they would still would be posting in the Fan sprites. It's just my opionion.

Shadow Eevee
09-30-2007, 11:21 PM
I know. Halve the people here probably have at least 2 different regions. I have to disagree with the part about regions only being able to be made by good spriters. Of course, that would cut the numbers down by like a million :/ But, (Is mapping counted as good spriting?), My region [Kansai] is actually being quite sucessful, and it started out as me, asking for help :/ . I've noticed that most people that submit a sprite to a region, then it gets declined, start their own region, and it ends up dead. Back to the good spriters only part, that's not fair to the spriters who arn't good. Sorry, Poke-lover. One universal region would be a weird thing, but then you might as well make a new whole sub-forum devoted too it, thus not eliminating the individual regions, because they would still would be posting in the Fan sprites. It's just my opionion.

But if they aren't good at sprites, why would they come to this forum?

Poke-Lover
09-30-2007, 11:21 PM
Kay...But Its Pointless if you Cant sprite.....Because Spriter you made pokemon in your region right?Thats all someone needs to do to have a good region But
You need to add things yourself

All this region talk is Inspiring Me(To re-build my old Region which was about as full as kansai region.

Wario
09-30-2007, 11:22 PM
Yeah, some need to be removed. But not Kansai, Kanbi, and Vitae.

Poke-Lover
09-30-2007, 11:24 PM
Yes I agree I think its taking the Y'Know originallity out of spriting Not kanbai,Vitae Kansai Or Hopei

RawrIsMyMiddleName
10-01-2007, 12:47 AM
Ha? Maybe the new "regions have to be accepted" thing? Huh?

[Avaron FTW!]

Spriter
10-01-2007, 01:21 AM
Ha? Maybe the new "regions have to be accepted" thing? Huh?

[Avaron FTW!]
I dunno, I still think this thread is going no where... :P I mean, who cares how many Fan Regions there are? The sucessful ones stay on top, right? Well, One's who arn't sucessful, still have a sort of pride in there own work.

Fire Pkmn Master
10-01-2007, 02:08 AM
I have to seriously agree. Its like when people help out other people with there regions or whatever they think that they should open up there own region because it might be cool and fun. It really annoys me sort of. Then when someone does make one and they have everything planned out like say if it was me Id have no one to help me. I really wouldnt because I think no one here likes me maybe. Its like hey theres another FPM's thread. Eh, who cares. Point being that you can have everything figured out and have everything ready but it doesnt matter to some people.

.::F.P.M::.

T3h-Chiisai
10-01-2007, 10:25 PM
Been there done this!

The same thing is happening in Pokemon Crater Forums, my home forum I was forced to Forsake due to a computer problem. Basically people post a region without a plan. It kills most shops 'n such and annoys people if regions are bad.

I was hoping this wouldn't happen here, but alas.

I believe I should blame my own region and Kansai for this. Mine was possibly the first fakedex to pop up. People were curious so they looked and perhaps they liked. Then The awesome ness of Kansai arrived shortly after! It had many pokemon displayed in the innovative spread sheet created by the wonderful Spriter. It did not take long for people to submit to Kansai. It was all fine, and then more popped up. It got to the point that I'm sensing de'ja vu. Ugh.

Of course that is only my view on the situation. I love well done regions, but the bad ones can rot. I can't stop people from making new regions, but I can give them constructive critique. Whether they follow my advice or not I have no idea.

Ye' forget that my region is awesome as well. Though I lack fan donations, I've been chugging along on will power alone. Most of the designs are mine, but y'know I don't mind. It's all worth it when people say they love the 'dex. I do have a few donations from the awesome wandering mew and Shiftyeyes as well.

Spriter
10-01-2007, 10:37 PM
Been there done this!

The same thing is happening in Pokemon Crater Forums, my home forum I was forced to Forsake due to a computer problem. Basically people post a region without a plan. It kills most shops 'n such and annoys people if regions are bad.

I was hoping this wouldn't happen here, but alas.

I believe I should blame my own region and Kansai for this. Mine was possibly the first fakedex to pop up. People were curious so they looked and perhaps they liked. Then The awesome ness of Kansai arrived shortly after! It had many pokemon displayed in the innovative spread sheet created by the wonderful Spriter. It did not take long for people to submit to Kansai. It was all fine, and then more popped up. It got to the point that I'm sensing de'ja vu. Ugh.

Of course that is only my view on the situation. I love well done regions, but the bad ones can rot. I can't stop people from making new regions, but I can give them constructive critique. Whether they follow my advice or not I have no idea.

Ye' forget that my region is awesome as well. Though I lack fan donations, I've been chugging along on will power alone. Most of the designs are mine, but y'know I don't mind. It's all worth it when people say they love the 'dex. I do have a few donations from the awesome wandering mew and Shiftyeyes as well.
First off... Yay, Im wonderful ^^

But yeah, you can't really stop people from creating regions. Have the stuff most of you (not really you, chiisai) are what made my region so sucessful (i think it is 0_o?) Anyway, I was not born with the spriting gene, but I (if i can say so myself) rock at maps. Like I said up top... But, I wouldn't say that mine was one of the FIRST ones, I mean...But, most fake regions are made by people who's sprites get declined by the 'Superior' regions.

And, Shadow Eevee, I realized i never replied to your post...
That's mean. A forum, and Pokemon it's self should be about having fun, not getting banned or in trouble for double posting. I had a forum awhile back, it was awomse, almost no rules. but, it died Y_Y

Bulletangel
10-01-2007, 11:33 PM
I would just like to say, that this place is here for us all to have fun, and seeing that it's focused at the younger age groups, to learn from ourselves and eachother =) (ZOMG i sound like...haha funny xP)

But its true. If kids want to make themselves a region, and it irritates you to see it there all the time when it's not that good, give them a break. I mean, cmon. They're learning, clearly having fun with it and its fostering imagination. If it irritates you to such an extent that you frown apon these kids then that's where you should keep you mouth shut.

I once joined a forum that secluded all the artists that werent good and seperated them from the skilled ones. It was a horrible forum. People held rank, bullied others and used their 'power' against them.

You guys here should be proud that these kids find your work SO inspiring that they want to mimic you, and thats such an awesome compliment.

By this post im not saying that the 'kids' of he forum are like, six or seven, im generally talking around 12-16 age group. Those who are younger we should just look after more.

This little essay ive typed here doesnt just go for the regions. It should be a general thing on these boards. Every chance you get to help people out on the general showcase, you should. Lets tell these kids what theyre doing wrong, so that they CAN learn and CAN get better, like us 'good spriters', or whatever =P

And as i can see, Xtra has taken the liberty of making a 'How to make a region' thread. That's an active contribution to the site =D Good work.

So in all, next time you see an 'awful' region pop up, kindly direct them to the 'how to' thread and give them some of your own advice. Nine out of ten times, they'll appreciate it ^_^

Lets all be nice together =D
-Bulletangel

Shadow Eevee
10-02-2007, 01:06 AM
@ Spriter: Well, I'm just getting annoyed by people who think they could sprite by looking at others, when they didn't even know a few simple things.

T3h-Chiisai
10-02-2007, 09:34 PM
I would just like to say, that this place is here for us all to have fun, and seeing that it's focused at the younger age groups, to learn from ourselves and eachother =) (ZOMG i sound like...haha funny xP)

But its true. If kids want to make themselves a region, and it irritates you to see it there all the time when it's not that good, give them a break. I mean, cmon. They're learning, clearly having fun with it and its fostering imagination. If it irritates you to such an extent that you frown apon these kids then that's where you should keep you mouth shut.

I once joined a forum that secluded all the artists that werent good and seperated them from the skilled ones. It was a horrible forum. People held rank, bullied others and used their 'power' against them.

You guys here should be proud that these kids find your work SO inspiring that they want to mimic you, and thats such an awesome compliment.

By this post im not saying that the 'kids' of he forum are like, six or seven, im generally talking around 12-16 age group. Those who are younger we should just look after more.

This little essay ive typed here doesnt just go for the regions. It should be a general thing on these boards. Every chance you get to help people out on the general showcase, you should. Lets tell these kids what theyre doing wrong, so that they CAN learn and CAN get better, like us 'good spriters', or whatever =P

And as i can see, Xtra has taken the liberty of making a 'How to make a region' thread. That's an active contribution to the site =D Good work.

So in all, next time you see an 'awful' region pop up, kindly direct them to the 'how to' thread and give them some of your own advice. Nine out of ten times, they'll appreciate it ^_^

Lets all be nice together =D
-Bulletangel
Ye' put up a great point. I shall consider yer words next time a region pops up.

Enough pirate talk here.

Wow, that forum sounds horrid! O_o

Dragon01
10-03-2007, 02:21 PM
Well as the official PE2K Region is coming along soon we hope, that is RM and I, that no-one will post a new region as that is running^^

D01 :D

Bulletangel
10-03-2007, 04:32 PM
Well as the official PE2K Region is coming along soon we hope, that is RM and I, that no-one will post a new region as that is running^^

D01 :D
This is my beleif, that there will be an influx of people making regions, because of this mega region.

Mitsuzo-kun
10-03-2007, 07:11 PM
I was totally having the same thought as Calypso the other day.

100% agree with you there. It seems silly having to have millions of different regions, some with completely unique fakemon. I say, have a select few wich are really good, and have 'em in one place.

T3h-Chiisai
10-03-2007, 11:49 PM
I was totally having the same thought as Calypso the other day.

100% agree with you there. It seems silly having to have millions of different regions, some with completely unique fakemon. I say, have a select few wich are really good, and have 'em in one place.
Well, maybe not one main region, y'know maybe just one or too.

Well, then again I'm just too stubborn to give up my own region. Even if no one donates to it I still will keep it alive!

Shady
10-03-2007, 11:56 PM
Hm, I dunno...

I doubt that making this official region will stop people making their own. ^^;

T3h-Chiisai
10-03-2007, 11:59 PM
Hm, I dunno...

I doubt that making this official region will stop people making their own. ^^;
Well said, well said. You'd have to lower the criteria quite a bit. People don't start regions as much if their stuff isn't rejected.

Shady
10-04-2007, 12:10 AM
Well said, well said. You'd have to lower the criteria quite a bit. People don't start regions as much if their stuff isn't rejected.

That's exactly what I thought. People are going to submit things, they get rejected, then go start a new region of their own.

---

I'm not bashing your techniques or whatever, Dragon01, (after all, it hasn't even started! xD) but just be weary of this type of thing happening. ^^;

Also, i'd like to ask. How many people do the spriters submit their work too? Will it be like a panel of people?

Bulletangel
10-04-2007, 09:45 AM
Yeah, there should be a panel, and even bette it should be harsh, but helpful.
Perhaps this will inspire others to do better instead of settling for second best ^_^

If you need anyone to help on the 'panel' (not even sure if there is one) but i'll be glad to offer my services =)