PDA

View Full Version : Martial Arts and fighting techniques

Tamer Marco
11-05-2007, 01:48 AM
Do any of you take some kind of boxing or Martial arts class? I used to take basic Karate classes from when I was six to about twelve, but I realized that fighting or defending yourself like that will not allow you to win a fight under most circumstances.

I quit about two years ago, and now I'm looking into other styles of fighting (my dream is to learn Krav Maga). Have any of you taken some kind of class previously or now?

Yen
11-05-2007, 02:05 AM
x33

You should try the ZOMGZSTFU kick! It always shuts everyone up for me. :]

OR~ You can try the ZOMGZSTFU punch~ Either works. x3

BACKONTOPIC~ I feel so alone~ Everyone does karate or something 'cept me. T_T

General Dunsparce
11-05-2007, 02:30 AM
Yeah I know how ya feel.....SOooo alone!
anyways, I knew a whole bunch but I think I forgot them all...^^" sorry

Nitro
11-05-2007, 02:50 AM
Well, I do Taekwondo, but I'm at a very low rank.

!CeMAn
11-05-2007, 11:20 PM
Took Tae Kwon Do when i was a kid, but like young Tamer, i realised that you're better off defending yourself with a street style. Less thinking, more surviving. That crap takes years. A good foundation doesn't hurt though.

Hell, every kid should learn basics.

Hoshika
11-05-2007, 11:24 PM
I take Tae Kwon Do, and I hope I can learn Kung Fu or Tai Chi or something eventually. It's not that I want to only defend myself, it's just a great way to feel calm and balanced. And street-y fighting is an extreme pet peeve of mine. It feels illegal.

That's just me, though. Everybody else in my grade (except for a select few) uses some wacked out style that has no foundat-- uh, yeah, you get it.

TayyabX
11-05-2007, 11:30 PM
There's only like 3 people in my class who knows Karate...
the rest of us.... either we are geeks! GEEKS! xD Or Sportykids... =P
I'm somewhat in the middle....

50% Geek
50.99% Sporty!

Although, I might wanna try Karate... but I'm moving soon... so it's no use till Grade 9, or somewhat at the end of Grade 8... =P

Tamer Marco
11-05-2007, 11:33 PM
I still find Karate dojos completely useless, and a waste of hard earned money. You're better off learning from you're parents actually...

The quality of the training is probably much better when you actually live in the area where the technique comes from- but lets face facts. American dojos suck. -_-

I know advanced Tae Kwon Do (completely useless to me), the basics of boxing, and some improvised dirty techniques of Krav Maga. I want to fully learn the latter.

Furyflame
11-05-2007, 11:35 PM
I used to take boxing, getting hand wraps on was such a pain. >_<;

Teo
11-05-2007, 11:37 PM
Most martial arts practice anywhere outside of their home country are strictly for show. If you wish to learn a martial art for what it is actually worth, then you learn it from where it originated from. Due to the fact that every thing else is just a watered down style of it.

Muay Thai is something I'd love to learn, it actually is quite devastating. o.O My friend knows some and shows me some things here and there. Over all, it is a very brutal sport.

If you're talking about street fighting. Best thing you could do to actually have a standing chance is take wrestling and boxing. Wrestling teaches you how to dismantle grapples and get out of ground type situations, while boxing gives you a foundation to go by. Defending countering, you know, the works.

Hoshika
11-05-2007, 11:44 PM
I still find Karate dojos completely useless, and a waste of hard earned money. You're better off learning from you're parents actually...

The quality of the training is probably much better when you actually live in the area where the technique comes from- but lets face facts. American dojos suck. -_-

I know advanced Tae Kwon Do (completely useless to me), the basics of boxing, and some improvised dirty techniques of Krav Maga. I want to fully learn the latter.

Does that count for when you have a grandmaster from Korea (dunno whether it's North or South) teaching you? :|

Tamer Marco
11-05-2007, 11:55 PM
Does that count for when you have a grandmaster from Korea (dunno whether it's North or South) teaching you? :|

Um, no. I didn't say every single place to learn Karate is a dump, but we can all agree that the majority are.

.AzureLight
11-05-2007, 11:57 PM
I got to yellow belt in Tae Kwon Do and green in Karate.

!CeMAn
11-06-2007, 12:04 AM
I have to agree that boxing is one of the more realistic and effective forms of fighting. At least in North America. Can't hurt to throw a few elbows and headbutts for good measure.

Want to mention that after Tae Kwon Do i had to take Karate because my class moved away. Where as in TKD, i actually learned new things and sparred, the Karate class typically consisted of about 60 minutes of laps, push- ups and practising the splits, then doing like 50 punches and kicks. What a joke. You were progressed belts by memorising choreography, not by learning.

I think that's how i got turned off.

Hoshika
11-06-2007, 12:05 AM
Um, no. I didn't say every single place to learn Karate is a dump, but we can all agree that the majority are.

Better check my area. There's martial arts places every 20 blocks. XP

I saw a place that taught Muay Thai boxing. My dad said it was extremeeeeee... and it was. O_o

Says on this site (http://www.kravmaga.com) that it's an Israeli Defense Forces thing. Good luck on it.

Shdw_Tamwyn
11-06-2007, 12:16 AM
Lol, I train myself. I fight my best friend when we have "Bad Moments", So i'm pretty good at w/e I do.

Mr M
11-06-2007, 01:56 AM
Well I USED to take some Martial Arts (Kenpo and Karate to be exact)
since I was the age of 7 till 13, but decided to move on to other things..
like Kickboxing. (no, none of that Thai-bo stuff! Lol!)
And so far I'm having a blast. ^^

theEND
11-06-2007, 02:23 AM
I took Kung Fu for a period of a year or two, but the results are that I really never learned anything new, or was I capable of self defense. Turns out I wasn't really learning much about self defense in the first place......just some stances and techniques with weapons such as staffs and plastic blades. Here's the real question: When will I ever use a staff in a real life situation?

Anyhow, turns out that Kung Fu isn't all that popular throughout the Americas, but oh well.

Kung Fu > Every other Martial Arts

Gold Groudon
11-06-2007, 08:06 AM
I want to learn how to be a ninja cause they can kill people in one hit.

Brainiac
11-06-2007, 07:08 PM
Well, I don't personally take any fighting classes. My philosophy is as long as you keep a level head, and fight intelligently, you'll be alright.

Jujitsu hasn't been mentioned, though of course I have no idea which fighting style may or may not be effective...

_AshenEagle_
11-07-2007, 08:30 AM
I took Kung Fu for a period of a year or two, but the results are that I really never learned anything new, or was I capable of self defense. Turns out I wasn't really learning much about self defense in the first place......just some stances and techniques with weapons such as staffs and plastic blades. Here's the real question: When will I ever use a staff in a real life situation?

Anyhow, turns out that Kung Fu isn't all that popular throughout the Americas, but oh well.

Kung Fu > Every other Martial Arts
Example of a Real life situation: lets say someone named matt was sitting in his living room and was watching some television, someone matt does not know breaks into the house brandishing a knife. Seeing no for of weapon to counter act the knife he spots the broom,made of wood.[very similar to a staff/rod etc..]Remembering what his sensei had taught him he disables the man by knocking the knife out of his hand...The intruder then lunges at matt ready to strike.Matt then uses the motion of the man to sweep him off of his feet... well you can see where that would lead..and is quite possible of happening in real life...lol

Blood Red Lucario
11-07-2007, 12:16 PM
I'm going into my fifth year in Tae Kwon Do. Most American schools only suck because they are taught by American teachers. My masters are all Korean immigrants so we don't get the watered down version of Tae Kwon Do. I fight with it pretty well when I do spar outside of the school but then again my dad has taught a bit of a Judo-Karate mix over the years.

I've always dreamed of learning Kung Fu.

For those who say that you should learn a style where it originated that won't be ideal when you return home. Its better to learn from your home because its land you can learn how to fight on.

Does anyone here have a long lasting career in any martial art?

Snow Fairy Sugar
11-09-2007, 05:57 AM
I think the main point of self-defense is survival, so I jog a few miles everyday and wear running shoes when I'm going out and the art of Lung-fu: Talking my opponent to death. :P

I do practice a little karate{I used to have a karate instructor, but he got mugged and is in the hospital right now} and other martial arts. I also read books about weak points of the human body and everything, and practise boxing and stuff on the punchbag in my brother's room.

earth_type_rule
11-09-2007, 07:25 AM
Well, I did have one free lesson on Karate once.

The other martial arts are played in games, like Ninja Gaiden :P Though, personally, I don't need martial arts.

skiboydoggy
11-09-2007, 10:38 AM
Well, I did have one free lesson on Karate once.

The other martial arts are played in games, like Ninja Gaiden :P Though, personally, I don't need martial arts.
Yup, we all learn Ninjutsu.
Of course, while that would be awesome, it would also be pretty silly for EVERYONE to be a ninja.

I want to take Muay Thai though. That stuff is crazy brutal.

Stardy
11-09-2007, 12:55 PM
I have a blue belt in Judo, if thats anything.

I also train myself at pro wrestling, and... im crap at it

Tamer Marco
11-09-2007, 02:32 PM
I have a blue belt in Judo, if thats anything.

I also train myself at pro wrestling, and... im crap at it
Heh, Pro Wrestling is choreography. If you can do Ballet, you can do Pro Wrestling. ;]

Finchy
11-09-2007, 04:36 PM
I used to do Judo, but that stopped so I had to quit. Looking back, I would have preferred to learn a more physical form of Martial Arts since Judo was basically throws. I'm more of an arm person, so maybe some Muay Thai would have been cool.

Stardy
11-12-2007, 04:40 PM
Heh, Pro Wrestling is choreography. If you can do Ballet, you can do Pro Wrestling. ;]
Yeah, I know.

But still, jumping from trees hurts.

Mitsuzo-kun
11-12-2007, 06:10 PM
I learn Karate. Our style is Go Kan Ryu, if any of you study that style.

I'm an orange belt, going for my green belt in a couple of weeks. =]

Gaia
11-12-2007, 06:31 PM
Black Belt in Taekwondo.

Seriously, I'm not kidding. :/

Pooka
11-12-2007, 07:36 PM
All the girls in my school are forced to do self-defence classes, they're a completely rubbish and nobody takes them seriously.

We've worked out that if we question every little thing the teacher does and says then we can waste virtually the entire lesson.

Example:

Teacher: "And that's how the eye poke works."
Us: "But what happens if the attacker is wearing sunglasses?"

You get the point.

Ahrim
11-12-2007, 07:50 PM
I took Karate for about two years, but I don't think the guy was "certified" to teach. It never really helped me. Instead I'd like to learn some Muay Thai or Ninjtsui(sp?).

Callum
11-13-2007, 08:57 PM
I think I watched a program about Krav Maga actually, it was the same dirty style of fighting, and had some odd name. I'm totally for it over Karate etc. I appreciate the discipline required and all, but at the end of the day it wouldn't help you in a real life situation where you could be seriously injured. You need fast wits, and cunning to actually help yourself in the real world.

I used to do Martial Arts, but stopped because I thought it was a bit of a joke. :oops:

Tamer Marco
11-13-2007, 09:01 PM
Yeah, I want to take Krav Maga for young adults too, but I checked online, and there isn't one near where I live... D:

Maybe when I get older.

Finchy
11-13-2007, 09:19 PM
Martial Arts should totally be a part of school curriculum's I think. Kick/Boxing, Karate, Judo, etc. Not necessarily punching and kicking other students due to moral implications, but at least using mats for throws, punch bags for practicing and doing such things as push-ups and sit-ups. None of this crap about Netball keeping you in shape, because it quite clearly doesn't. If people are going to argue (or at least over here in the UK) about child obesity, then at least think logically how to attack the problem head on. I can't count one child in my class, let alone my school who would not enjoy knocking the stuffing out of a punch bag. It teaches self-defense, something nobody can argue that we don't need in todays society, it burns fat/builds muscle and, as an added extra, it's a great stress reliever. Fail your maths test? Slip over in public? Maybe people will begin to look forward to PE instead of resenting it.

Tamer Marco
11-13-2007, 09:38 PM
You have to consider those that can't throw a punch correctly. :P

Brainiac
11-13-2007, 10:01 PM
Yes, there are people who can't throw a punch correctly, but they're people! They can learn if you make them do it enough times... Hopefully...

c-wooper
11-13-2007, 10:57 PM
Do any of you take some kind of boxing or Martial arts class? I used to take basic Karate classes from when I was six to about twelve, but I realized that fighting or defending yourself like that will not allow you to win a fight under most circumstances.

I quit about two years ago, and now I'm looking into other styles of fighting (my dream is to learn Krav Maga). Have any of you taken some kind of class previously or now?

I own at fighting techniques.

Finchy
11-14-2007, 03:31 PM
You have to consider those that can't throw a punch correctly. :P

Hence why we must teach them :D

--YuGiOHHHH--
11-15-2007, 01:55 PM
I like good old ganstah thug street fighting. Im a black belt. I'm the guy who shot fifty cent nine times. Yeah thats how good this fighting technique is. . .

VP4L
11-20-2007, 03:39 AM
I tried animal styles like the snake its awesome it hurts alot like stabbing and the eagle style always gets my friend on the ground :crackup:

Finch
11-20-2007, 11:28 AM
Kudos, Gaia! I've been training in Tae Kwon Do for around 7 years now, and I've achieved 3rd Dan. At the moment I'm also training in Wado Ryu Karate and Ju Jitsu, though I've previously studied Ninutsu, Kenjutsu and Iaido. For me the martial arts are more of a spitirual thing than "how many punks can I kick out on da streetz" but I know that if I had to, I could do some damage.

Finchy dearest (and others), the more you teach "self-defence" to people the more useless it becomes, since it would make us all more effective muggers etc :crackup:

Gravity
11-23-2007, 08:00 PM
I'm skilled in the Martial Art of Gentle Fist!

... What?

[/isn't kidding] Dxx