PDA

View Full Version : The writer's strike

AshMistyMayfan
11-07-2007, 10:30 PM
The writers of TV shows in Los Angeles/New York have gone out on strike (don't worry, anime like Pokemon/Simpsons are not affected). Which of your favorite shows are in danger of REPEATING? For me, my worries are Smallville going into repeat just as Brainiac returns by 2008 and 24 only has 9 episodes filmed out of their 24 hour day!:eek:

And every late night talk show/then saturday night live goes into repeat mode.:sad:

The last strike was 1988, lasted 22 weeks. They're saying it could be worse.

Ham and Cheese
11-07-2007, 11:20 PM
Well, the writers SHOULD get paid a little more. It's a disgrace how they toil over a hot keyboard and get what? Three bucks a page?

For shame, Hollywood!

Leman
11-07-2007, 11:41 PM
TBH, I couldn't care less. Entertainers already get payed about 40 million a year more than they should.

Shadow Eevee
11-08-2007, 02:32 AM
I'm not really that worried because I'm use to it, I've been put through weeks with UPN line ups being canceled because of the 2005 train strike and stuff.I'm worried about my cousin though, she hates reruns and looks forward to watching Disney Channel everyday.

Tamer Marco
11-08-2007, 02:54 AM
This is so dissapointing to me. The TV producers can't even pay the backbones of their shows and movies, how sad.

I also haven't been able to watch Jimmy Kimmel for the past couple of days. :[

Cybernetic Ghost
11-08-2007, 02:55 AM
The Daily Show and Colbert report are both on reruns. Luckily I don't watch much current TV other then that(Mainly reruns of Forensic Files, Seinfeld and Frasier). Oh, and the South Park season is already done being produced for this season, so yeah. I don't know about the next one though

AshMistyMayfan
11-08-2007, 07:43 AM
From what I have been hearing: Per a $20 dollar DVD, the writers get a share of...get this, 3 cents!:eek: I was shocked to hear that, 3 cent profit per a 20 dollar DVD of that particular show bought. Of course in buying Smallville for 40 bucks...I wonder if the profit was 6 cents? But that's just wrong. There has to be a share, but I think then big companies may jack up the DVD pricing if they gave something to the writers, like a 19.95 could be bumped to 59 bucks, like a VCR movie used to be 89 bucks!:eek:

And rumors are Smallville ends in February if this is not resolved. They will have filmed 15 episodes, and the 15th one will have a cliffhanger. Oh well, looks like MIchael Rosenbaum may get his vacation after all. Maybe the little break might convince him to return for the final season, IF THERE IS A FINAL SEASON if the strike doesn't mess things up!:eek:

I think some of the anime writers are non-union, not sure though.

Tamer Marco
11-08-2007, 01:26 PM
I'm going to bawl and cry if Smallville doesn't get renewed. ;-;

Seawolf
11-08-2007, 06:01 PM
TBH, I couldn't care less. Entertainers already get payed about 40 million a year more than they should.

Writers never get enough credit in the entertainment industry. :ermm:

Jack of Clovers
11-10-2007, 06:54 AM
See, the thing they are complaining about is the amount of money they make compared to the producers and the filming company, etc. Physically, they are striking for money, but psychologically, it's all about the credit they don't recieve. I mean, look at what it's done. Shows will resort to re-runs/cancel without them working. Nothing can start without first writing down ideas. And I totally support writers earning more credit to their names.

On the other hand...

I know for a fact that Hollywood writers make enough money to be able to support themselves and I find it ridiculous they are asking for more money. They signed into contracts, they knew what the wages were. They've become greedy. Bottom line. They don't want to continue writing for their fans or for themselves. They're writing for bigger paychecks. And I really don't appreciate that kind of selfishness over money vs doing something they should love.

But we all know the outcome. The writers will get their wage increase and shows will go back on air. It's only a matter of when.

~Jack~

skiboydoggy
11-10-2007, 07:00 AM
To be fair, they make about three cents for every DVD sold, as opposed to the dollars which everyone else earns. They also only have about two seconds of recognition if even that, as that is about as long as their name lasts on the credits. And who remembers the credits anyway?

The writers definitely deserve more credit. Moar powa to the writer.

AshMistyMayfan
11-10-2007, 09:48 AM
I think the problem is if the writers get what they want on the DVD, the so called 19.95 gets turned into 59 bucks or more. But there has to be a way to give them something without having to make us pay more for a product. I also feel the 'bosses' of the writers are behaving in the same way Waste Management of East bay behaved to the locked out workers. Least the workers locked out, they didn't go on strike until the company locked them out and wouldn't negotiate until the mayor of Oakland bought them to the table. My main part is either the Mayor of Los Angeles or Gov. Schwarzenegger the former movie star should be getting both sides to the table to get this strike to be over. Shows are shutting down left and right this week, many actors are on the striking lines, and late night talk shows are obviously going to let their shows rerun as a means of supporting the writers.

Soaps are going to be next to be shut down for I think they film 6 weeks ahead. Smallville has up to episode 15 that has been written/will be filmed/slotted for Feb. 2008. 24 only has 9 episodes, won't be ran at all and their break is until January since I hear Sutherland is serving some jail time for his recent drunken arrest (Sutherland got a deal to serve part while the show is in hiatus/other part when he finishes the season.)

Jack of Clovers
11-11-2007, 05:07 AM
To be fair, they make about three cents for every DVD sold, as opposed to the dollars which everyone else earns.
3c per DVD is pretty good. Most good movies will pass the 500,000 DVD sales mark within a month. That translates to $15,000 at the end of the first month + whatever they get paid for writing the movie. Granted, DVD sales will slow down, so that's why the writer moves to another project. Now, imagine all the DVD sales from all the projects that a single writer has. They still make money from movies made ten years ago. 3cents is starting to look good, especially with DVD sales increasing every year.

~Jack~

Shadow Eevee
11-21-2007, 09:12 PM
Writers never get enough credit in the entertainment industry. :ermm:

I agree with you.

It's also sad that anybody could steal their plots, and they put it on DVD to get more money.

AshMistyMayfan
12-08-2007, 06:04 AM
No progress reported in negotiations to end Hollywood writers' strike

www.chinaview.cn 2007-12-08 10:26:35 Print

LOS ANGELES, Dec.7 (Xinhua) -- Negotiations between Hollywood studios and the Writers Guild of America (WGA) continued on Friday, with no sign of progress.

As the talks entered into a fourth consecutive day, both sides issued statements, accusing the other of stalling the negotiations.

Studio officials submitted additional proposals to the WGA in hopes of ending the 33-day-old writers' strike.

In a letter to writers, Patric Verrone, president of WGA, West,

and Michael Winship, president of WGA, East, said they want to see negotiations continue without interruption through Christmas and New Year's holidays.

"The Writers Guild will remain at the table every day, for as long as it takes, to make a fair deal," they wrote.

They also told guild members that producers were prolonging the

strike by refusing to make any new offers.

"For one, we've heard that one or more of the companies are prepared to throw away the spring and fall TV season, plus features, and prolong the strike. Aside from the devastating effect this would have on the unions, workers and their families in this industry, it would certainly explain the AMPTP's refusal to put any new proposals, even a bad one, on the table," they wrote.

But the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers (AMPTP) insisted the guild letter contains a series of factual mistakes.

"The producers did present a new proposal, the New Economic Partnership, which would increase the average working writer's salary to more than 230,000 dollars a year. The WGA's organizers have yet to respond directly to that proposal, preferring insteadto focus on jurisdictional issues in the areas of reality and animation television," according to the AMPTP's statement.

Producers also accuse WGA organizers of spending "relatively little" time at the negotiating table.

The two sides made little progress since bargaining resumed last week, the Los Angeles Times reported.

This morning was spent discussing various issues, including a guild proposal for increasing residuals for original premium cable

programming and streaming of movies online.

In the afternoon, writers waited several hours as negotiators for the AMPTP worked on additional proposals.

The strike began Nov. 5, with the dispute focusing on residual

payments to writers for work distributed via the Internet, videoiPods, cell phones and other new media.

Most scripted primetime series have suspended production while all the late-night talk shows on the major broadcast networks have

been forced into reruns, except for NBC's "Last Call with Carson Daly," whose host crossed the picket line last week and returned to work without his writing staff.

Editor: An Lu

McLovin
12-10-2007, 06:16 AM
I know, I'm missing everything!

My name is Earl, Scrubs pfft.

It's not like the writers were getting mad for like 20 years.

However =D, ABC, NBC, Fox, etc, they have money to spare, these writers are gonna run out of money sometime, Unless they have another money source, but those who don't will start workoing again =()

I may be wrong, my mind's messed up, I totally caught something on fire a minute ago. What a rush!

AshMistyMayfan
12-10-2007, 06:21 AM
Just read a series of reality shows are coming up in January. Man, that's just going to be terrible. I know Networks don't want to lose millions, but reality shows are not going to work. I want my Smallville and Prison Break. 24's season is going to be in the can if they can't settle it. With the talks broken off badly, it's going to get worse now for the shows about to be repeated or more reality TV coming.

Jack of Clovers
12-12-2007, 04:34 AM
Most scripted primetime series have suspended production while all the late-night talk shows on the major broadcast networks have been forced into reruns, except for NBC's "Last Call with Carson Daly," whose host crossed the picket line last week and returned to work without his writing staff.
His show wasn't funny with a staff, it'll probably bomb now.

The strike is really annoying. I hate watching all these new, really bad 'Reality' TV shows pop up. The good thing is, I'll be able to work on other important tasks rather than watch tv.

~Jack~