PDA

View Full Version : Stereotypes

xDesires-Lovex
11-08-2007, 08:27 PM
Well what are your thoughts on them, I myself consider them stupid, like, amazingly stupid. Also they can cause alot of grief.

For example, alot of people gather round us at dinner, a throw food and other items and just shout "Dirty Moshers", If I had to stereotype in this example, these people would refer to themselves as Chavs.
I just think they do it to make themselves feel strong, They refer the word Chav to cool and 'Rock Solid'.

What are your thoughs/experiances?

Btw, I realise that I may have spelt Stereotypes wrong, sorry :P.

Finchy
11-08-2007, 08:40 PM
Stereotypes influence us in many different ways, so I think it's something we all come to terms with. My friend comes from up north, so people believe him to be thick as butter, when infact he's the best at maths in our year. Granted, whenever he opens his mouth a painfully thick Birmingham accent comes out, but that shouldn't be an excuse for people to believe he's thick, no?

xDesires-Lovex
11-08-2007, 08:43 PM
Ofcourse not, also I've heard in America that this kind of thing doesn't happen over their.

I also heard that American girls love the British accent, but thats another story :P

Nirvash
11-08-2007, 09:21 PM
My African American friend can't charge his lazer. My Muslim friends aren't terrorists. My Asian friend is at the same level as me in math.

Stereotypes suck. They're never true, and label people as soon as people meet for the first time. I hate them. I'm Jewish, and people know nothing about it, but they make assumptions based on stuff they see on TV or hear.

The Shadow of the Abyss
11-08-2007, 09:55 PM
I, myself, believe that some sterotypes can sometimes can be found to be true. They are never always true, and can hurt when people base you upon them (trust me I know) But they can be.
Think of a flower a sterotype. Flowers are thought to smell good, and people think they will when the smell them, but they dont always smell good.
Most sterotypes though are completly out there, and have little truth. Such as all blondes (me) are dittsy. Or that all gay people (me) want to get with every guy they see. Or (me, again) a white person with many black friends must think he is black. Wrong. Again, I will say, that sometimes they are true, but in most caces are not.

RonRaygunX3
11-08-2007, 10:36 PM
I don't think that all the stereotypes are really that bad but two that really annoy me are chavs and skaters. Both of the two act like complete athholes and only dress and act the way they do to be socially accepted and cool.

xDesires-Lovex
11-08-2007, 10:37 PM
Their is kind of a war between these 'two groups' but I believe that annoyone basses their personality around a stereotype, truely has no point in living if you're just gunna be a clone.

Bryce
11-08-2007, 10:40 PM
heh, yeah alot of people (mostly from the north) automatically pin the southerners as being "uneducated' when there are many, many of us who excel in school... take me for example: I have never made anything less than a 95 in any subject, yes i have an accent, but i do not use cliche words that are assumed to be used by people down here....

also, stereotypes are somewhat plentiful around here, there are many "black jokes", but they do not say them aloud in fear of.. erm... eing beatin' up o.O (there are a substantial amount of African Americans in Georgia, so yeah...) i do not make them btw, i just hear them often...

Ahrim
11-08-2007, 10:50 PM
Well, I don't really mind stereotypes. If you mind being calling names, then obviously you're not ready for high school. I'm labeled as a skater, but it doesn't bother me since I do infact, skateboard. RonRaygunX3, not all skaters tend to be a**holes. Most of the skaters I know are fairly mellow.

pikahero2
11-08-2007, 10:53 PM
No Offence to Anyone but ,

The one I hate is "Skaters" Some of them are good some ar'nt they tend to be "Rock Hard Cool dudes" But to be honest theyre not. Some of them anyway they think their awsome but their not. I hate it when that happens.

xDesires-Lovex
11-08-2007, 11:02 PM
I know where you're getting at, but if they're acting like that because of they're stereotype, then to hell with them.

Shadow Eevee
11-08-2007, 11:03 PM
At first, I thought this was another "What are you stereotyped as?" but I read it and change my mind.

For stuff like emos, nerds and jocks, they usually aren't true. But when it's a race thing, the person stereotypes themself. I find it annoying.

xDesires-Lovex
11-08-2007, 11:07 PM
I would never make a what stereotype are you thread, give me more credit than that. D:

Also colour is...well...sometimes people can use their colour to hide behind things, or even act harder. This isn't colours in generals guys, hope that no-one takes this in offence.

Ahrim
11-08-2007, 11:09 PM
No Offence to Anyone but ,

The one I hate is "Skaters" Some of them are good some ar'nt they tend to be "Rock Hard Cool dudes" But to be honest theyre not. Some of them anyway they think their awsome but their not. I hate it when that happens.

Those are the kind of people that make me mad too. They act like they can skate, but really can't. The ones I hang out with, we usually get together on a weekend and skate.

pikahero2
11-08-2007, 11:17 PM
Those are the kind of people that make me mad too. They act like they can skate, but really can't. The ones I hang out with, we usually get together on a weekend and skate.

Well if you can actually do something with how you act then thats what you should do but for those people who cant even skate and pretend they can just want to act cool but they arn't usually because they didnt do well or fit in somewhere.

Emily
11-09-2007, 03:40 AM
I don't really care about them, but I hate the 'girls with big boobs are dumb' stereotype. Mine are quite big for my age, and while I'm not the brightest bulb of the bunch, I'm not a ditsy idiot!

Bulletangel
11-09-2007, 04:01 AM
I don't really care about them, but I hate the 'girls with big boobs are dumb' stereotype. Mine are quite big for my age, and while I'm not the brightest bulb of the bunch, I'm not a ditsy idiot!
Some people try to fit in to stereotypes.

Example. The 'emo' trend was everyone who either liked the look, wanted to fit in with the crowd, or wanted the chicks because emo people like emo people xD

Im not being horrible, majority of my freinds fit to that stereotype, and we joke about it all the time.

Sometimes stereotypes help people fit in. Works like that

Kirby pikachu
12-08-2007, 04:17 AM
Speaking of sterotypes has anyone heard of how people think that pokemon Jynx is a
stereotype to black people?I'm black and it dosen't never make me offended.

LS
12-08-2007, 04:30 AM

o.O Never heard that one before. And thanks for sharing how large your breasts are.. XD

All Arabs are terrorists

Everyone that wears glasses is a nerd

Those are the 2 most annoying stereotypes. and I wear glasses and Im arab btw. :P

InvertrevnI
12-08-2007, 11:09 PM
Apparently, because I haven't cut my hair in over a year and I'm not hugely sexist, I'm some sort of 'creepy homosexual'. =]

Whee.

Professor Geoffrey
12-08-2007, 11:25 PM
A stereotype is that all people with glasses are smart. This isn't true. I may be smart (I wear glasses; check out the photo of me in the Profile link in my sig for proof), but a lot of people who are in my school that wear glasses are not. We live in the suberbs/country, which is the main reason.

Caecity
12-08-2007, 11:31 PM
A stereotype is that all people with glasses are smart. This isn't true. I may be smart (I wear glasses; check out the photo of me in the Profile link in my sig for proof), but a lot of people who are in my school that wear glasses are not. We live in the suberbs/country, which is the main reason.

Agree to this, and the If you wear thick glasses you are a nerd and smart. I hate this.since it apllies to me, I may have thick lens because I have really bad eyes sight, don't talk about contacts, i would still have to wear glasses..:P

And..>:[ I forgot my other one.

Fossil Fusion
12-09-2007, 11:24 AM
Stereotypes are worthless. I know I sometimes use them if Im pissed off at someone in real life. But me and my sister are completely different: she likes rock/heavy Metal, and I like rap/dance/rnb. But we get on really well. Im friends with loads of different people at school, stereotypes or not everyone is equal really.

xDesires-Lovex
12-09-2007, 11:45 AM
I hate people who try and make themselfs a stereotype...It's ridiculous.