PDA

View Full Version : The Replacements

Fire Away
11-13-2007, 05:32 AM
This is a BL team, designed to be used for OU play on Shoddy literally made on a whim a few days ago, so expect some major holes. Named ‘The Replacements’ because these Pokemon, while similar to certain OU species, are shoved in BL due to poor typing, or being outclassed in a particular field. However, I’ve been noting a certain advantage to using BL (and a UU or two) Pokemon in that most OU players (myself included) are seldom prepared for something like Raichu (see below) and can usually cough up a counter for it only after it’s downed a member of their team.

One major problem I’ve seen is that while each Pokemon can perform very successfully, a few of them require some carefully played mind games and out-prediction to switch in. I’ve looked at potential replacements for these, but so far none have come to mind.

Also, I probably have some major weak to one particular Pokemon that could 6-0 my team in a heartbeat or something, so please point that out.

With my (weirdly long) preamble out of the way…rate my team. :o

http://i9.tinypic.com/8fb5v9i.png
Roserade@Choice Scarf
Timid
EVs: 252 Speed, 252 Sp. Attack, 6 HP
HP Ice
Energy Ball
Leaf Storm
Sleep Powder

Just recently I've exchanged HP Ice for Fighting as per Leman's suggestion. While I find moments where I sorely miss the Fighting variant, Ice is needed, IMO, to stop dragons from literally ripping this team apart.

http://i6.tinypic.com/6t04emg.png
Gardevoir@Leftovers
Trade, Modest
EVs: 252 HP, 160 Def, 96 Sp. Def
Shadow Ball
Wish
Thunderbolt
Will-o-Wisp

Sort of a Jirachi stand-in with W-o-W. Shadow Ball for Ghost coverage.

http://i9.tinypic.com/73cvl09.png
Mismagius@Leftovers
Timid
EVs: 116 HP, 140 Sp. Attack, 252 Speed
Calm Mind
Substitute
Shadow Ball
HP Fighting

Standard CM Mismagius. Can take on Blissey 1v1. Also helps me with major Gengar and Azelf weaks.

http://i9.tinypic.com/822thqg.png
Staraptor@Choice Scarf
Adamant
EVs: 252 Attack, 252 Spd, 6 HP
Close Combat
Brave Bird
Double Edge
U-Turn

Man, I love this thing. While Stealth Rocks can potentially hurt it, Wish support will help out there. It’s a pretty great revenge killer in general, eating up non-starter Weavile and Heracross, exploiting their crazy 4x weaknesses.

http://i18.tinypic.com/7wygyzc.png
Floatzel@Choice Band
Adamant
EVs: 252 Attack, 252 Spd., 6 HP
Aqua Jet
Crunch
Ice Fang
Waterfall

All around awesome, and also addresses some other major weaknesses and overthoughts I had while designing this team.

http://i9.tinypic.com/7yqxg1s.png
Clefable@Leftovers
Magic Guard, Calm
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Sp. Def, 6 Spd.
Softboiled
Seismic Toss
Reflect
Ice Beam

It’s no Blissey, but I saw the Smogon analysis and had the urge to use it, and I was pleasantly surprised. Reflect support helps my team a lot. The only true ‘wall’ on my team.

vedros
11-14-2007, 09:01 PM
Ok, here are my fixes in bold.

Roserade@Choice Scarf
Modest
EVs: 252 HP[b/], 252 Sp. Attack, [b]6 Speed[b/]
HP Fighting
Energy Ball
[b]Sludge Bomb
Shadow Ball

If you got rid of the Choice Scarf, then I'd recomend Cotton Spore and/or Toxic Spikes>Sludge Bomb and/or Shadow Ball. Try a White Herb+Leaf Storm combo, too. I like it on Arcanine.

HP Fighting, you ask? Yes, I say. The main reason HP Fire is there is for Steels, and Fighting hits that, and more. It survives a Life Orbed Ice Shard from Weavile with upwards of a whopping 2%, and OHKOs it right back. Also hurts Heatran, who could easily switch into Roserade thinking it has HP Fire (not that Iím saying he should stay in, but at least he wonít get a Flash Fire boost). Sleep Powder on things Roserade canít kill itself. This is my lead.

Gardevoir@Leftovers
Trade, Modest
Shadow Ball
Wish
Psychic
Will-o-Wisp

Sorry, I have no experience with Gardevoir, but this seems pretty standard. Seems fine.

Raichu@Leftovers
Timid
EVs: 252 Sp. Attack, 252 Speed, 6 HP
Encore
Nasty Plot
Grass Knot
Thunderbolt

I'm a huge fan of Raichu in UU. I like Focus Punch better, but Nasty Plot is a great move. You'll probably want Timid>Modest, but this seems fine.

Encore, Nasty Plot, sweep. It has paid off big time in the few battles Iíve used it in. Not an Electivire replacement per se, but similar in the amount of prediction it takes to use properly.

Staraptor@Choice Scarf
Adamant
EVs: 252 Attack, 252 Hp
Close Combat
Brave Bird
Double-Edge
U-Turn

You definitly don't need any Spd EVs with a Choice Scarf on Staraptor

Man, I love this thing. While Stealth Rocks can potentially hurt it, Wish support will help out there. Itís a pretty great revenge killer in general, eating up non-starter Weavile and Heracross, exploiting their crazy 4x weaknesses.

Kangaskhan@Leftovers
Adamant
EVs: 212HP, 82ATK, 216SPD
Substitute
Focus Punch
Return
Sucker Punch

Just make sure it has Scrappy.

Didnít get too original with this, but I faced one in UU a week ago and made a note to add one to this team. A 'Breloom' type of thing, minus the 100 accuracy sleep.

Clefable@Leftovers
Magic Guard, Calm
Softboiled
Seismic Toss
Reflect
Ice Beam

Sorry, I don't have a fix for this.

Itís no Blissey, but I saw the Smogon analysis and had the urge to use it, and I was pleasantly surprised. Reflect support helps my team a lot. The only true Ďwallí on my team.

Sorry I can't do a better job on this, but it's better than nothing, eh?

Leman
11-14-2007, 11:48 PM
This is a BL team, designed to be used for OU play on Shoddy literally made on a whim a few days ago, so expect some major holes. Named ĎThe Replacementsí because these Pokemon, while similar to certain OU species, are shoved in BL due to poor typing, or being outclassed in a particular field. However, Iíve been noting a certain advantage to using BL (and a UU or two) Pokemon in that most OU players (myself included) are seldom prepared for something like Raichu (see below) and can usually cough up a counter for it only after itís downed a member of their team.

One major problem Iíve seen is that while each Pokemon can perform very successfully, a few of them require some carefully played mind games and out-prediction to switch in. Iíve looked at potential replacements for these, but so far none have come to mind.

Also, I probably have some major weak to one particular Pokemon that could 6-0 my team in a heartbeat or something, so please point that out.

With my (weirdly long) preamble out of the wayÖrate my team. :o

Roserade@Choice Specs
Timid
HP Fighting/ HP Ice/Rest
Energy Ball
Leaf Storm
Shadow Ball

Timid Rose beats Adamant Garchomp/Salamence and Co. And Leaf Storm OHKOs Weaville btw.

HP Fighting, you ask? Yes, I say. The main reason HP Fire is there is for Steels, and Fighting hits that, and more. It survives a Life Orbed Ice Shard from Weavile with upwards of a whopping 2%, and OHKOs it right back. Also hurts Heatran, who could easily switch into Roserade thinking it has HP Fire (not that Iím saying he should stay in, but at least he wonít get a Flash Fire boost). Sleep Powder on things Roserade canít kill itself. This is my lead.

Gardevoir@Leftovers
Trade, Modest
EVs: 252 HP, 160 SAtk, 96 Sp. Def
Thunder Wave/Hypnosis
Wish
Psychic
Will-o-Wisp

Use this if you want to use the same bulky set, though I like to use Choice Sets. Like:

Gardevoir@Choice Specs/Choice Scarf
Trait: Trace
EVs 76 HP/252 SAtk/ 180 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball/Focus Blast
- Psychic
- Grass Knot/Hidden Power [Ice]

Raichu@Leftovers
Timid
EVs: 252 Sp. Attack, 252 Speed, 6 HP
Encore
Nasty Plot
Grass Knot/Surf
Thunderbolt

Timid>>>>Modest. Surf could be used> Grass Knot

Encore, Nasty Plot, sweep. It has paid off big time in the few battles Iíve used it in. Not an Electivire replacement per se, but similar in the amount of prediction it takes to use properly.

Staraptor@Choice Band/Life Orb
Jolly
Close Combat
Brave Bird
Double Edge
U-Turn/Pursuit

Jolly is fast enough. Pursuit is an Option

Man, I love this thing. While Stealth Rocks can potentially hurt it, Wish support will help out there. Itís a pretty great revenge killer in general, eating up non-starter Weavile and Heracross, exploiting their crazy 4x weaknesses.

Kangaskhan@Leftovers
Adamant
EVs: 212HP, 82ATK, 216SPD
Substitute
Focus Punch
Return
Sucker Punch/Stone Edge/Earthquake

Fine, though, you might want to run Jolly.You could also use Scrappy>Early Bird, and then dropping Sucker Punch for Stone Edge or Earthquake for type coverage.

Didnít get too original with this, but I faced one in UU a week ago and made a note to add one to this team. A 'Breloom' type of thing, minus the 100 accuracy sleep.

Clefable@Leftovers
Magic Guard, Calm
Softboiled
Seismic Toss
Reflect
Ice Beam

Fine.

Itís no Blissey, but I saw the Smogon analysis and had the urge to use it, and I was pleasantly surprised. Reflect support helps my team a lot. The only true Ďwallí on my team.

Rated.

Fire Away
11-15-2007, 02:34 AM
Thanks for the rate, guys. A few explanations...

I've really been thinking of switching out Scarf on Roserade, but I'm a big fan of opening Sleeps when I can get them, and running Scarf is the only way Rose can pull it off. Leaf Storm is still a really scary move anyways.

I find that support Gardevoir helps out this team a lot, since for the most part it's on the frail side. It's especially good on Staraptor, since Stealth Rocks and potential recoil from Brave Bird and Double Edge can add up.

The only legit Surf Raichus are Hardy. Which is made of failure. :/

I like Choice Scarf on Staraptor better, since it lets it outspeed Weavile and Scarfcross.

'Khan is Scrappy, btw. Sucker Punch is generally a great priority move, but I'll probably give Earthquake a try. Once its Sub is up it's pretty much fine.

Leman
11-15-2007, 02:46 AM
IMO Scarf chomp is a waste of a item. I wouldn't Scarf anything with a Base Speed lower than Heracross. Band give It's probably enough to OHKO Garchomp anyways. They rarely carry Stone Edge anyways, and Outrage wont OHKO, so you can get a U-Turn in or Close Combat and then switch to Bronzong/Skarmory. I assumed this was Shoddy, so I assumed that you could get any Nature Surf Raichus.

Fire Away
11-15-2007, 02:53 AM
IMO Scarf is worth it to outspeed Weavile and co.

And it is Shoddy, but 'any nature' Surf-Raichu is illegal. :/

--YuGiOHHHH--
11-15-2007, 01:01 PM
You have a big Tyranitar weakness XD! Roserade might be able to stop it but if it has IceFang then your in trouble.

Fire Away
11-15-2007, 09:19 PM
I find Roserade can take care of any starter T-Tar that's not extremely bulky with Leaf Storm. Most know she's packing it anyways and will switch. Kangaskhan can also deal with it decently as well. Staraptor can revenge kill/switch in on Earthquake and OHKO it with CC.

Believe me, I took him into consideration. ;)

Fire Away
11-27-2007, 06:29 AM
I hate bumping things, but I recently replaced Nasty Plot Raichu with a CM Mismagius, and would like you guy's input on whether or not the change is fitting or if I should reconsider/put something else. If you have a suggestion, please try to keep it BL or lower. The idea of this team is to avoid OU's. :oops:

I've been using CM Mismagius in this team though, and she has worked out very well. I've mainly noticed that I have a big weakness to both Gengar and Azelf. Gengar in particular can take on at least 4 members of my team, 5 (!!) if he's packing Thunderbolt/Psychic. As long as Mismagius has a sub/is CMed up, she can handle both of them with little difficulty.

With Raichu gone, however, I open up the door for Gyarados to come barelling through. To try and help compensate I've added Thunderbolt to Gardevoir, and Stone Edge to Kangaskhan. I've also been thinking of doing SR on Clefable?

Ace123456789
12-02-2007, 07:54 AM
Let's see. If this was to be used in the BL/UU metagame, you would need watch out for a few of these Pokémon:

Bellyzard - Honestly, he just destroys your team. If it is a Starter and Sleep Powder misses, he can set up with Sub + Belly Drum and easily sweep the rest of your team. (P)Hazing? Will-O-Wisp obviously won't touch it, leavining you with no options. How to handle this? Two words: Stealth Rocks. :tongue:

Zangoose - I would be pretty afraid of an Endure + Salac Berry combination if I were you. If you lose the speed tie after Salac Boost, your team can get swept. Flail gets 300 Base Power after STAB, which should OHKO Gardevoir, and Close Combat will destroy the other ones I believe. Night Slash is there of course for Mismagius.

Other than that, this team covers lots of weaknesses and works off each other well. But most Pokémon nowadays like to carry the Fighting + Ghost Combination, which 4/6 of your team is weak too. :ermm:

In OU play, you might find some difficulty since nearly every team has that attacking combination. And yes, Mismagius will work so much better in OU play as opposed to Raichu.

Fire Away
12-02-2007, 09:38 AM
Gardevoir, Mismagius, Staraptor and Roserade make this team ineligible for UU play.

Thanks a lot. I was hoping for a post like that before I ended up getting embarassingly 6-0ed by some random threat I hadn't considered.

A CB Floatzel will 2HKO Bellyzard with Aqua Jet, and can nullify a Flail sweep having a priority move. Standard, really. I've edited him in over Kangaskhan and would like to know your thoughts.

I also got bored and added some sprites. :P

Leman
12-02-2007, 03:43 PM
This is a BL team, designed to be used for OU play on Shoddy literally made on a whim a few days ago, so expect some major holes. Named ĎThe Replacementsí because these Pokemon, while similar to certain OU species, are shoved in BL due to poor typing, or being outclassed in a particular field. However, Iíve been noting a certain advantage to using BL (and a UU or two) Pokemon in that most OU players (myself included) are seldom prepared for something like Raichu (see below) and can usually cough up a counter for it only after itís downed a member of their team.

One major problem Iíve seen is that while each Pokemon can perform very successfully, a few of them require some carefully played mind games and out-prediction to switch in. Iíve looked at potential replacements for these, but so far none have come to mind.

With my (weirdly long) preamble out of the wayÖrate my team. :o

http://i9.tinypic.com/8fb5v9i.png
Roserade@Choice Specs
Timid
HP Ice
Energy Ball
Leaf Storm
Sleep Powder

Just recently I've exchanged HP Ice for Fighting as per Leman's suggestion. While I find moments where I sorely miss the Fighting variant, Ice is needed, IMO, to stop dragons from literally ripping this team apart.

http://i6.tinypic.com/6t04emg.png
Gardevoir@Leftovers
Trade, Modest
Shadow Ball
Wish
Thunderbolt
Will-o-Wisp

I'd still run a choice/Sweeper set instead of this, because Gardy has no Def what so ever.

http://i9.tinypic.com/73cvl09.png
Mismagius@Leftovers
Timid
EVs: 116 HP, 140 Sp. Attack, 252 Speed
Calm Mind
Substitute
Shadow Ball
HP Fighting

Standard CM Mismagius. Can take on Blissey 1v1. Also helps me with major Gengar and Azelf weaks.

http://i9.tinypic.com/822thqg.png
Staraptor@Choice Scarf
Adamant
Close Combat
Brave Bird
Double Edge
U-Turn

I'd run CB/Focus SAsh with Jolly here.

http://i18.tinypic.com/7wygyzc.png
Floatzel@Choice Band
Adamant
EVs: 252 Attack, 252 Spd., 6 HP
Aqua Jet
Crunch
Ice Fang
Waterfall

Fine

All around awesome, and also addresses some other major weaknesses and overthoughts I had while designing this team.

http://i9.tinypic.com/7yqxg1s.png
Clefable@Leftovers
Magic Guard, Calm
Softboiled
Seismic Toss
Reflect
Ice Beam

I'd tun some bulky physical wall here. as you don't have any mons with a respectable Physical Def, or >Mismagius.

:o