PDA

View Full Version : Mass Effect

Fire Away
11-21-2007, 08:40 AM
Has anyone gotten their hands on it yet?

Picked mine up today after work, complete with a nifty artbook (though I haven't looked at it yet :oops:).

Right now I'm about 3 hours into the game and I'm very impressed. The dialogue and writing surpasses KoTOR, which is possibly my favorite video game, ever. I'm also really liking the way the story is shaping up. The actual battle system functions decently enough, and I'm having fun tinkering with the nifty abilities that come with the Adept class.

Anyone have thoughts/opinions on the game?

P.S. Lol@me saying 'nifty' twice in this post.

Seawolf
11-25-2007, 05:34 AM
I've only logged about three hours into the game so far, but I'm VERY impressed with what I've seen so far. The game is excellent, and a sure candidate for being Game of the Year material.

It's also the best looking game I've seen in years, which is a pretty big plus. The Citadel makes my head spin. :oops:

EDIT: I actually like Knights better than this so far, but that might change... we'll see.

Fire Away
11-25-2007, 06:11 AM
I finished the game today.

The storyline is superb, and seriously outdoes any other Bioware title (or pretty much any other RPG). While I feel like the game itself was on the short side, the experience while playing it was worth 50+ hours of any other game.

Game of The Year, IMO. It'll surely get beat out by Halo 3, but the single player campaign wishes it could be half of what Mass Effect was for me.

Seawolf
11-25-2007, 07:16 PM
Game of The Year, IMO. It'll surely get beat out by Halo 3, but the single player campaign wishes it could be half of what Mass Effect was for me.

That would be stupid. Halo 3 is really only good for the multiplayer stuff, at least to me...

I spent close to sixty bucks on this game. My brothers never let me play it. =/

Fire Away
11-25-2007, 08:46 PM
That would be stupid. Halo 3 is really only good for the multiplayer stuff, at least to me...

I spent close to sixty bucks on this game. My brothers never let me play it. =/

That's terrible. :/

In all seriousness, try and get it away from them if you can. It's really great.

Seawolf
11-25-2007, 09:21 PM
That's terrible. :/

In all seriousness, try and get it away from them if you can. It's really great.

I'm a little concerned with the story. It seems pretty typical so far, but I keep hearing there's a big plot twist later on - is that true?

Fire Away
11-25-2007, 09:56 PM
The story is pretty rich, IMO. It's pretty much a stylized, interactive Sci-Fi novel. I had similar concerns about the story at first too.

Also, there are plenty of twists in the story, but the real clincher isn't the twists in this game, it's the decisions you'll be forced make. You'll know what I mean later on.

Out of curiousity, what class are you playing, Megumi?

Seawolf
11-25-2007, 10:03 PM
The story is pretty rich, IMO. It's pretty much a stylized, interactive Sci-Fi novel. I had similar concerns about the story at first too.

Also, there are plenty of twists in the story, but the real clincher isn't the twists in this game, it's the decisions you'll be forced make. You'll know what I mean later on.

Out of curiousity, what class are you playing, Megumi?

Ah, cool. I hope I'll get to some of those twists sometime before the end of the century. :oops:

I'm a Vanguard (Colonist, Sole Survivor), although I kind of regret the decision. I think I can only use the pistol right now, and the biotic powers are kind of disappointing. I was always a Soldier/Jedi Guardian in KOTOR, so I went with something that seemed the most related to that. I'd probably have a easier time with combat in Mass Effect if I just picked soldier, though. What about you?

Fire Away
11-25-2007, 11:44 PM
I picked Adept. It's a really fun class to play, IMO. It's the 'pure Biotics' class, so you get access to a lot of powers that you can't get with any of the other classes. Singularity makes most large mobs in the game incredibly easy. I was always Scout/Consular in KOTOR, so it does seem to transition over to this game. :P

The Soldier class is actually one of the better ones though. Obviously you'll aim and shoot a lot better than most any AI in the game, and getting the damage boosted with the guns is a huge help in that aspect.

I started my second playthrough today. I created an Earthborn Sole Survivor, and I'm doing Engineer as my class. I'm doing a Renegade this playthrough. :cool:

Hypocrisy is Fun
11-26-2007, 12:58 AM
I went into blockbuster to get it, but they didn't have it.

The second time, the box was out there, but they still didn't have it.

Third time, they had it, but my card didn't work.

I think someone hates me. :tongue:

Clutch
11-26-2007, 01:17 AM
I went into blockbuster to get it, but they didn't have it.

The second time, the box was out there, but they still didn't have it.

Third time, they had it, but my card didn't work.

I think someone hates me. :tongue:
Bahahhahahahha. :crackup:

Did you all know this game was banned in Singapore? :o

Fire Away
11-26-2007, 01:34 AM
Because there's a lesbian romance plot and the scene you see if you complete it?

Yeah, I heard it was removed though. If we're talking strictly in game, the other female in question isn't a female at all, since biologically her species is mono-gendered.

Seawolf
11-26-2007, 01:37 AM
Because there's a lesbian romance plot and the scene you see if you complete it?

Yeah, I heard it was removed though. If we're talking strictly in game, the other female in question isn't a female at all, since biologically her species is mono-gendered.

Homosexuality is serious business!..

Ugh, I hate puttering around in the Mako.

Fire Away
11-26-2007, 01:39 AM
Homosexuality is serious business!..

Ugh, I hate puttering around in the Mako.

The Mako can really be a pain, but I had fun using it to run over random Geth. The controls in it seem...unrefined, to say the least.

Seawolf
11-26-2007, 01:51 AM
The Mako can really be a pain, but I had fun using it to run over random Geth. The controls in it seem...unrefined, to say the least.

Compared with everything else, it does seem a bit undeveloped. It's difficult to move that thing, especially up steep places. I drove past some giant sand worm thing earlier and screamed like a baby. D:

The AI can also be frustrating. My party members like to shoot at walls and duck behind random things just to upset me, it seems... except for Wrex, because he is awesome.

Fire Away
11-26-2007, 01:55 AM
The squad's AI can be a pain. Usually I just sit them near some cover and use the Down arrow command and do most of the killing myself. They can come in handy on occasion though.

skiboydoggy
11-26-2007, 04:00 AM
Bwahahaha! ME got unbanned in Singapore! Booyah!
It's M18, but whatever. I still need to save up that five hundred to get my 360 anyway.

Clutch
11-27-2007, 12:28 AM
Bwahahaha! ME got unbanned in Singapore! Booyah!
It's M18, but whatever. I still need to save up that five hundred to get my 360 anyway.
Wow, did it really?

What did they do, remove the scene? :eh:

Fire Away
11-27-2007, 01:16 AM
Wow, did it really?

What did they do, remove the scene? :eh:

No. The decision to ban was overturned by the censorship body.

Seawolf
12-03-2007, 12:46 AM
I finally finished it. The ending made me cry. :redface:

I'm going for more of the Achievements now, although some of them will probably take me awhile to obtain. Is there a way to get the AI Hacking one without being an Engineer class?

Fire Away
12-03-2007, 01:00 AM
You can get most abilities without having to change classes, you just have to do some random achievement to get them. There's a reference on Gamefaqs, I believe.

Didn't the decision on Virmire like, ruin your life? I was soo bummed after that mission. XD

Seawolf
12-03-2007, 01:12 AM
You can get most abilities without having to change classes, you just have to do some random achievement to get them. There's a reference on Gamefaqs, I believe.

Didn't the decision on Virmire like, ruin your life? I was soo bummed after that mission. XD

I noticed earlier that certain Achievements will affect any new character you create on your profile, which I like.

Virmire was just depressing. I think I was a bit luckier than some players in one aspect (which can be highlighted below, as it's a huge spoiler), but even then, I just wanted to punch some of the Bioware people in the face after I was done with it.

Spoiler - I had just enough Charm to calm Wrex down, so I was able to keep him, which I'm happy about. If something else had happened, I probably would have thrown my game out the window.

Fire Away
12-03-2007, 01:23 AM
Yeah, I was happy I was able to avoid certain unforunate circumstances on Virmire, but I still desperately wish there was some, hidden, alternative route I could've taken that would've helped me avoid making that choice, considering *spoiler* -- Kaidan and Ashley were the two party members I used the most :/

Don't get me wrong. I still think that was a really horrible decision, but I do think it added a lot of depth to the game and made it a lot more emotional that it was previously.

Seawolf
12-03-2007, 06:22 AM
Yeah, I was happy I was able to avoid certain unforunate circumstances on Virmire, but I still desperately wish there was some, hidden, alternative route I could've taken that would've helped me avoid making that choice, considering *spoiler* -- Kaidan and Ashley were the two party members I used the most :/

Don't get me wrong. I still think that was a really horrible decision, but I do think it added a lot of depth to the game and made it a lot more emotional that it was previously.

Indeed. The game would have failed were it not for such decisions, in my opinion. I'm attempting to be Renegade on a second file now, but it's almost impossible for me to be nasty to my party members. They're not real, but I can't stand the idea of hurting their feelings. You know a game has been done right when you're thinking that way.

Virmire stuff - I never used the human characters, but I chose to save Kaiden on on a whim, not thinking of the consequences... I didn't think I would leave Ashley behind to get killed. That was a nice slap in the face.

SpaceUnicorn
12-06-2007, 02:53 AM
Great game, I just finished it today. I mainly didn't complete any side quests I'll do those once I go through my second play through. I mainly used Wrex and Garrus in my party. Wrex was my shotgun friend and HP sponge. I've been using Garrus for sniper and tech. So how do you guys think they will carry out the sequel? Will we have to make our characters all over again when the second games out? Or an expansion pack? Or keep our previous memory saves?

Seawolf
12-06-2007, 09:58 PM
Great game, I just finished it today. I mainly didn't complete any side quests I'll do those once I go through my second play through. I mainly used Wrex and Garrus in my party. Wrex was my shotgun friend and HP sponge. I've been using Garrus for sniper and tech. So how do you guys think they will carry out the sequel? Will we have to make our characters all over again when the second games out? Or an expansion pack? Or keep our previous memory saves?

Wrex was my favorite character. :cool:

I think it's possible that you will be able to transfer an existing character into the new game(s). I wouldn't mind starting from scratch however. My Shepard is at level 58 as I'm typing this.

I'm waiting for them to release patches for the current game, too. I want to see more sidequests and stuff.

Dr Scott
12-07-2007, 06:05 AM
I thought the game was great, but it left a lot to be desired at the same time. I even read the prequel book XD < - nerd.

My Team: Garrus and Ashley

Me: My family got whiped out, I was the sole survivor of my team. Pure Commando Soldier, lvl 50 *first play through*

Pros

-Amazing story
-Great graphics
-Fun gameplay
-Loads of mini-quests
-Great cities
-Amazing moments (The story just felt epic to me ...)
-All the info (They put a lot of time and effort to fill in all the gaps, and I love that)
-The different species. Especially the Eldor (I think they're called) and the Hanar. I LOVE the Eldor almost as much as HK-47. And that's a lot. HK-47 is the best game character EVER.

Cons

-The story was a little obvious, other than the twists ish. Which I thought were great, if not amazing.

-Mainly, the planets. I would have LOVED to see more cities instead of all the little planets. Driving to each thing, clicking on each planet, mining, going to little bases that looked the same, driving up mountains ... got real old real quick. Especially when you base it off of how great the cities themselves are, moving around and doing the quests as well as meeting the fun people.

-There seemed to be too many humans in Citadel, isn't it supposed to be loaded with aliens ? Would have been nice if they played up the aliens more.

All in all it's great but it could be so much better. Good thing it's a trilogy ...

Oh, and you keep the same character Baldurs Gate style (Pretty sure)

Spoiler talk to follow in other posts :P

Seawolf
12-07-2007, 07:37 PM
-The different species. Especially the Eldor (I think they're called) and the Hanar. I LOVE the Eldor almost as much as HK-47. And that's a lot. HK-47 is the best game character EVER.

You mean the Elcor. =P They were so... odd.

I woke up early in the morning today just to finish up my second file, and I got the Red Ring of Death on our 360. I'm a bit upset.

If any of you need help with those annoying collecting sidequests, I've been working on guides for them. You can find them here (http://freewebs.com/eletania/guides.htm).

Dr Scott
12-08-2007, 12:02 AM
Oh, I beat them. Every side-quest I saw, I beat.

Along with extras of the collection quests. I think I got like ... 10 extra Matriarch stuffs.

They're just annoying ...

Seawolf
12-08-2007, 05:52 AM
Oh, I beat them. Every side-quest I saw, I beat.

Along with extras of the collection quests. I think I got like ... 10 extra Matriarch stuffs.

They're just annoying ...

Did you get the Completionist achievement, by any chance? I could have sworn I did everything, but I never got it. =/

Fire Away
12-08-2007, 12:54 PM
Did you get the Completionist achievement, by any chance? I could have sworn I did everything, but I never got it. =/

I'm pretty sure to get the Completionist achievement you have to finish every quest in the game, including ones exclusive to Sole Survivor/Earthborn/Colonist and Paragon/Renegade.

I finished my second Shepard. Engineer was actually a lot of fun to play. :D

Dr Scott
12-08-2007, 05:39 PM
Ugh ... I want to get to lvl 60, but I also want to play someone new. So I think I'll take a break from my main guy, play a 'renegade' character, and move on.

The game just isn't as replayable as KOTOR to me, sadly. *I've played and beaten KOTOR like 20 times though :P* I dunno, it woulda been 20x better with less planets and more cities ... and that bugs me. Especially 'cus I want to finish all the quests in all runs through, and the thought of doing all the planets again ... *shudders*

Yeah, I got completionist. Basically, you have to do everything in Citadel, go to every single planet / system *new ones pop up* and go check back at Citadel for new quests. I put the extra quests I saw in Citadel below in white because I don't know if it's a surprise or not :P

There aren't that many once you get all of them done at the first time. Besides having to go there to talk to people you have one where you talk to the commander guy at the Citadel Tower thing, you speak to the reporter there too later. And near the Hanar shop guy is a girl wanting you to take out mob bosses for her (It's a renegade quest). Oh, there was also one that was an interview *I think* and another was one for my picked beginnings. I'm missing something ...

And does anyone have any idea why my 360 won't play KOTOR out of nowhere? It has been the last year or so O-o

Seawolf
12-08-2007, 06:14 PM
I'm pretty sure to get the Completionist achievement you have to finish every quest in the game, including ones exclusive to Sole Survivor/Earthborn/Colonist and Paragon/Renegade.

I finished my second Shepard. Engineer was actually a lot of fun to play. :D

Well, I'm nearly done with my second file (which is my previous character, except she is Renegade instead of Paragon, although she's still Colonist and stuff), but I should have thought as much. I'm going to have to play the game another two times to get the achievements you need for the two hard difficulty settings as well. I don't mind, though, because I'm completely addicted. :silenced: I'm planning to be the Soldier/Tech class next time around, too. I want to hack things!

Ugh ... I want to get to lvl 60, but I also want to play someone new. So I think I'll take a break from my main guy, play a 'renegade' character, and move on.

The game just isn't as replayable as KOTOR to me, sadly. *I've played and beaten KOTOR like 20 times though :P* I dunno, it woulda been 20x better with less planets and more cities ... and that bugs me. Especially 'cus I want to finish all the quests in all runs through, and the thought of doing all the planets again ... *shudders*

Yeah, I got completionist. Basically, you have to do everything in Citadel, go to every single planet / system *new ones pop up* and go check back at Citadel for new quests. I put the extra quests I saw in Citadel below in white because I don't know if it's a surprise or not :P

There aren't that many once you get all of them done at the first time. Besides having to go there to talk to people you have one where you talk to the commander guy at the Citadel Tower thing, you speak to the reporter there too later. And near the Hanar shop guy is a girl wanting you to take out mob bosses for her (It's a renegade quest). Oh, there was also one that was an interview *I think* and another was one for my picked beginnings. I'm missing something ...

And does anyone have any idea why my 360 won't play KOTOR out of nowhere? It has been the last year or so O-o

Yes, some of the planets were a bit repetitive... and every time you had to answer a distress signal, it was a trap (something that annoyed me to no end). Yeah, I can see why you're bothered by those. I found the game to be so much like Knights though, only bigger. I was really impressed by the scope of the game, and the different species, and the story, so the little things don't really bug me so much. I think it's nearly flawless, personally.

I played Knights a million times over as well, and I'm probably going to burn out my copy of Mass Effect within a year or so. :x

Knights should be working with your 360, so I'm guessing it's the disc? Our copy died the other year. Sadness!

SpaceUnicorn
12-08-2007, 11:32 PM
I just started over for my second time as a soldier. I'm working on getting all of the achievements and I figured I could get the rifle and sniper rifle achievements pretty easily with the soldier. I'm probably going to go with renagade on this play through.

Scott, my KOTOR works on my 360 though it has some glitches in it at some places. Try rebuying your copy, I'm sure you can find one for under $15.

Dr Scott
12-09-2007, 02:40 AM
You'd think it'd have an error, not a "this disc isn't playable on the 360" bit. I'm going to try to turn on my Live just to see if that helps before actually buying a new one, because I might have lost the update that allows me to play it or something. My Xbox is kinda dying methinks.

But yeah, I love the story of Mass Effect and all, but I'm only really interested in the main planets / missions. Like I've stated before the rest is just really annoying, and there seemed to be too many potholes. Though I'll admit some of them were pretty fun ...

It just didn't have the KOTOR magic.

And I was bummed I wasn't able to go to Earth. *Sigh* Maybe in the future ...

I had a pure soldier my first playthrough, and I got all the weapons achievements. The romance one left me a little ... awkward.

I figure I'll wait a little before replaying it, let it get fresh again. In the meantime I still have good'll Oblivion ...

Seawolf
12-09-2007, 07:02 PM
I had a pure soldier my first playthrough, and I got all the weapons achievements. The romance one left me a little ... awkward.

Well, I was a female Shepard and I chose Liara as my partner just to shake things up. That was, um, interesting..

Scott, when you got the Completionist achievement, did you get it after you completed a sidequest, or when you actually finished the game? I ran around on the Citadel and did a few more sidequests, and I might have gotten enough this time, but I don't want to go to the last level and mess up my chances of getting it again. :x

Dr Scott
12-09-2007, 10:00 PM
Haha Meggers you're naughty ... XD

Anyways, I got it randomly in the middle, I think. Make sure to check to see if new systems have randomly popped up, and to go to every single system and land on every planet you can. Sometimes you get missions just from going into the system.

Which you probably already know.

At any rate, try not to drive yourself crazy.

*Sigh* Back to studying ;_;

Seawolf
12-10-2007, 12:45 AM
Haha Meggers you're naughty ... XD

Anyways, I got it randomly in the middle, I think. Make sure to check to see if new systems have randomly popped up, and to go to every single system and land on every planet you can. Sometimes you get missions just from going into the system.

Which you probably already know.

At any rate, try not to drive yourself crazy.

*Sigh* Back to studying ;_;

Yes, I am. <3

Anyway, I actually got Completionist after doing some random sidequest on the Citadel a few minutes ago. :oops: Now I have to get the Ally ones down the road. This game demands so much!

Light Manaphy
12-10-2007, 12:47 AM
My friend got the game and I'm waiting to play it next weekend.

Fire Away
01-08-2008, 11:07 AM
Sorry for the bump, but I'm playing through (again) and have an urge to discuss this game somewhere a little more intelligent than GameFAQs. Besides, it's 1-08 right now. It hasn't been a month. <_<>_>

I made another biotic character a month ago and have been hammering my way through insanity on her. I picked Colonist as my background this time and got the I Remember Me quest, and all I can say is that was possibly some of the best dialogue written for a video game ever.

The game seems to get better with every playthrough. The difficulty of Insanity makes the battles way more cinematic. Put that on top of the highly visiual Biotic powers my character is spamming and I find myself forgetting to press buttons sometimes, just trying to take in the scope of it all.

If this doesn't pick up at least one GoTY award, there is no justice. :/

Seawolf
01-08-2008, 08:54 PM
Sorry for the bump, but I'm playing through (again) and have an urge to discuss this game somewhere a little more intelligent than GameFAQs. Besides, it's 1-08 right now. It hasn't been a month. <_<>_>

I made another biotic character a month ago and have been hammering my way through insanity on her. I picked Colonist as my background this time and got the I Remember Me quest, and all I can say is that was possibly some of the best dialogue written for a video game ever.

The game seems to get better with every playthrough. The difficulty of Insanity makes the battles way more cinematic. Put that on top of the highly visiual Biotic powers my character is spamming and I find myself forgetting to press buttons sometimes, just trying to take in the scope of it all.

If this doesn't pick up at least one GoTY award, there is no justice. :/

I think I was lucky to be a Colonist the first time around. 'I Remember Me' actually made me cry. :x

I just beat the game on Insanity with an Adept. Anyway, all I need is the AI Hacking and Neural Shock achievements, and then I can gloat away.

Fire Away
01-10-2008, 12:38 AM
On a completely unrelated note -- I love your clip of HK-47. His dialogue in KoTOR 2 made that game so much better.

And yeah, I've been trying to do that too. So far I've unlocked Neural Shock, Barrier, Assault Rifle, Decryption, First Aid, Singularity and Electronics. When I unlock all the skills, I'll create a killing machine and make him/her into a Renegade.

Try and stop me now, Council. :twisted:

SpaceUnicorn
01-10-2008, 01:46 AM
I myself didn't find that big of an increase in diffulcity when I played on a different level. Though it may be because my second playthourgh I chose the soldier class.

Fire Away
01-10-2008, 01:53 AM
I myself didn't find that big of an increase in diffulcity when I played on a different level. Though it may be because my second playthourgh I chose the soldier class.

Yeah, I really do notice the game tends to be a lot easier for Soldier. After all, no one in your party will shoot/aim better than you.

pikachufan25
01-10-2008, 02:00 AM
I loved kotor and that was made by the bioware, so I had to get this, and it's just as awesome as kotor(my favorite x-box game), and I never regretted getting mass effect.

ll Legend ll
02-02-2008, 01:25 AM
I personally thought it should have gotten Game of the Year. COD4 is good, but theres too many multiplayer game, ME should have taken the prize.

JOIN THIS RP!

Star Wars: Choose Your Path
In this Epic Star Wars Role Play, you will experience the greatest power ever. Totally devoted to you, and you only, you are allowed to choose between the path of the Jedi, Sith, or Bounty Hunter in an attempt to change the future of the Galaxy. Travel to worlds, fight against actual characters such as Anakin Skywalker or the ruthless Sith Lord Sidious, or settle down and live your live amongst the stars. It's your RP. You choose how things go down.

Will You Protect the Galaxy? Or Conquer It?
http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/2151/64970327lh2.jpg http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/2005/starwarstheforceunleashgn5.jpg

Join The Path (http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75152)

Stormdancer94
02-02-2008, 06:29 AM
Don't spam up this thread!

Mass Effect looks awesome, I'd get it, but isn't there a sex scene? I'm only 13 :ermm:

Fire Away
02-02-2008, 06:35 AM
Don't spam up this thread!

Mass Effect looks awesome, I'd get it, but isn't there a sex scene? I'm only 13 :ermm:

There is one. There really isn't anything exceptionally graphic. It's allowed on Youtube, if that means anything to you. You can check it out there and see if it burns your eyeballs out.

Or if you're just uncomfortable with the idea, I say wait a few years and pick this game up then. It's really worth it in the long run.

PokemonBoy2106
02-02-2008, 07:00 AM
Jack Thompson doesn't care abou the sex, so if Jack T doesn't care, theres no need to let out even a scare! If you don't believe me, check Kotaku!

Stormdancer94
02-02-2008, 10:07 AM
I'm not overly concerned, I'm concerned about what my parents would think :neutral:

It's not an ideal thing to be caught playing a game with sexual scenes, even if it is allowed on YouTube, as if they'd care *Snort*

Seawolf
02-03-2008, 01:33 AM
I'm not overly concerned, I'm concerned about what my parents would think :neutral:

It's not an ideal thing to be caught playing a game with sexual scenes, even if it is allowed on YouTube, as if they'd care *Snort*

It's optional; you don't even need to see it if you don't like it. Don't listen to the controversy surrounding it.

If ANY of that "Mass Effect is contaminating our children, oh noes!" crap starts creeping into this thread, I'm going to have to start cracking skulls.

ll Legend ll
02-03-2008, 01:35 AM
The sex scene is AMAZING.

Haha, I played the game so much that I thought Ashley Williams in the game was real. She's awesome.

Stormdancer94
02-03-2008, 03:35 AM
It's optional; you don't even need to see it if you don't like it. Don't listen to the controversy surrounding it.

If ANY of that "Mass Effect is contaminating our children, oh noes!" crap starts creeping into this thread, I'm going to have to start cracking skulls.

*Passes heavy metal crowbar to Megumi with great reverence* Let us begin the skullcracking!

Yeah... Mass Effect doesn't sound all that bad, I might buy it, in a while, y'know, when it's not priced at like $80 or so... That's like... I only get $20 a month worth of pocket money. Now guess how much that will take out of it ><

Seawolf
02-03-2008, 03:45 AM
*Passes heavy metal crowbar to Megumi with great reverence* Let us begin the skullcracking!

Yeah... Mass Effect doesn't sound all that bad, I might buy it, in a while, y'know, when it's not priced at like $80 or so... That's like... I only get $20 a month worth of pocket money. Now guess how much that will take out of it ><

Thank you for the nice weapon. =P

The game's replay value is pretty high, so I think it's worth the full $60 price tag, unlike most 360 games. Its the only decent RPG on the 360 as well, so that's something to take into consideration, too.

Fire Away
02-03-2008, 03:48 AM
Thank you for the nice weapon. =P

The game's replay value is pretty high, so I think it's worth the full $60 price tag, unlike most 360 games. Its the only decent RPG on the 360 as well, so that's something to take into consideration, too.

Agreed. Once you played the game and really enjoyed the storyline, you'll realize it was money well spent.

charmeleonblaze
02-05-2008, 08:48 PM
What's live like on it? I'm guessing it's just sh*t like a lot of other superb story focused games, like Bioshock.

Stormdancer94
02-06-2008, 07:45 AM
Ok, I'm not squeamish, but do do random enemies pop up out of nowhere, like forcing me to scream and waste all my ammo shooting at the roof?

Oh, and is there a lock-on system/gadget/thingy? Cuz I love those.

George Jefferson
02-06-2008, 02:54 PM
Ok, I'm not squeamish, but do do random enemies pop up out of nowhere, like forcing me to scream and waste all my ammo shooting at the roof?

Oh, and is there a lock-on system/gadget/thingy? Cuz I love those.

You don't have ammo, you get just a weapon that overheats when you repeatedly use them.

Also: No, there's no lock-on system, but, you get to increase the stability of your weapons, so when you aim, you can aim more properly.

2wings
02-06-2008, 03:53 PM
i dont have a 360 but i do have a PS3 was wondering if i could get it on ps3 as well?

George Jefferson
02-06-2008, 09:50 PM
i dont have a 360 but i do have a PS3 was wondering if i could get it on ps3 as well?

I've heard rumors of Mass Effect being ported to the PS3, so, whatever you do, if it's true, don't waste 400 dollars just to get a 360.

Stormdancer94
02-09-2008, 06:48 AM
Overheating weapons aye? Eh... I hate those :\ But, it's better than ammo!

What do you have to fight? People, or sci-fi monsters?

Fire Away
02-09-2008, 06:51 AM
Overheating weapons aye? Eh... I hate those :\ But, it's better than ammo!

What do you have to fight? People, or sci-fi monsters?

Overheating really isn't a problem. There's a gauge, and it's not that hard to monitor.

You fight alien species, humans, droids...the usual stuff you get in a sci-fi film.

Don't believe anything you hear about ME getting ported to anything but PC until it's 100% confirmed. It was said multiple times to be 360 Exclusive.

Stormdancer94
02-09-2008, 11:06 PM
D: I don't have a 360, only an XBOX at my Dad's house D:

I might look at Bioshock for PC though... Is Bioshock better or worse than Mass Effect? Cuz Mass Effect looks damn awesome.

Fire Away
02-10-2008, 01:31 AM
D: I don't have a 360, only an XBOX at my Dad's house D:

I might look at Bioshock for PC though... Is Bioshock better or worse than Mass Effect? Cuz Mass Effect looks damn awesome.

Uh they're not even close to being the same thing. That's like saying 'Is Super Mario Galaxy better than Half-Life 2?'

:|

I have and love Bioshock, though.

Stormdancer94
02-10-2008, 03:21 AM
Uh they're not even close to being the same thing. That's like saying 'Is Super Mario Galaxy better than Half-Life 2?'

:|

I have and love Bioshock, though.

Half Life 2 gave me the scares.

What's good about Bioshock? What's bad?

ll Legend ll
02-10-2008, 05:02 AM
Stay on topic guys. This is for Mass Effect, not Half-Life 2.

George Jefferson
02-11-2008, 08:16 PM
Stay on topic guys. This is for Mass Effect, not Half-Life 2.

Stay on topic, dood. That was Bioshock, not Half-life 2.

But, ME is a pretty damn good game. The weapon upgrades are awesome, the jobs are neat, and the character models are pretty realistic. (Lol, even they have forehead wrinkles.)

Seawolf
03-10-2008, 03:22 AM
'Bring Down The Sky' will be available for download tomorrow. It's supposed to be a two hour long mission featuring the Batarians. I can't wait.

Fire Away
03-10-2008, 03:27 AM
'Bring Down The Sky' will be available for download tomorrow. It's supposed to be a two hour long mission featuring the Batarians. I can't wait.

Whaaat? D:

I had no idea they had DLC coming so soon.

I'll be downloading that ASAP :D

suzyK
03-10-2008, 03:28 AM
Yeah, heard of it. Personally, I like KOTOR better. Mass Effect seems to generic to me...

Seawolf
03-10-2008, 03:30 AM
Whaaat? D:

I had no idea they had DLC coming so soon.

I'll be downloading that ASAP :D

I've been waiting for this ever since it was announced on the BioWare forums about a month ago. :oops: It's 400 points, by the way.

I'm so happy; I'm getting it when I wake up in the morning.

Fire Away
03-10-2008, 03:31 AM
Yeah, heard of it. Personally, I like KOTOR better. Mass Effect seems to generic to me...

It's anything but, actually. -_-

suzyK
03-10-2008, 03:33 AM
Eh. I only saw the ads on TV, and I saw Xplay's rating. It was surprisingly good.

Well, I'm really just basing it on empty conclusions so don't mind me. Wasn't there some sort of bad sex scene in that game? The media picked at it like flies on a dead carcus...

Fire Away
03-10-2008, 03:37 AM
Eh. I only saw the ads on TV, and I saw Xplay's rating. It was surprisingly good.

Well, I'm really just basing it on empty conclusions so don't mind me. Wasn't there some sort of bad sex scene in that game? The media picked at it like flies on a dead carcus...

Lol, yeah. It's actually pretty mild. A buttcheek is about as far as it goes. :P

suzyK
03-10-2008, 03:40 AM
o.0

I watched it.

More than a buttcheek.

I'm scarred for life. No, really.

The reason KOTOR and Mass Effect are kind of the same is because of all the different aliens. Plus you can either play as a male or a female (same in both games). Can you be 'evil' in Mass Effect or is there a set storyline?

Fire Away
03-10-2008, 03:43 AM
o.0

I watched it.

More than a buttcheek.

I'm scarred for life. No, really.

The reason KOTOR and Mass Effect are kind of the same is because of all the different aliens. Plus you can either play as a male or a female (same in both games). Can you be 'evil' in Mass Effect or is there a set storyline?

They're the same in the way that KoTOR and Jade Empire are the same. Similar in concept, different in execution.

I seriously doubt the scene scarred you for life. It's basically something out of a soap opera. :|

suzyK
03-10-2008, 03:46 AM
I was kidding around. I was midly disgusted, I can take mature stuff.

I don't know, RPG-type things for the Xbox haven't always appealed to me...

Seawolf
03-10-2008, 03:47 AM
You can make 'evil' choices in the game, but it's not like you can destroy the galaxy or anything.

There are some situations where you really have to make tough decisions. That's one of the main reasons why I like the game- it actually makes you think.

suzyK
03-10-2008, 03:51 AM
Well, that's good. My brother wanted the game, but he stopped after buying his Wii. I actually looked it up before; it looked pretty interesting. There was that one weird aline guy from the ad who hated Earth...

Is it true that a girl has a crush on the male main character or something?

Fire Away
03-10-2008, 03:52 AM
Well, that's good. My brother wanted the game, but he stopped after buying his Wii. I actually looked it up before; it looked pretty interesting. There was that one weird aline guy from the ad who hated Earth...

Is it true that a girl has a crush on the male main character or something?

There are two possible relationships you can pursue for your character, whatever gender they are. The alien woman (Liara) can be pursued no matter which gender, which is part of why the game was so controversial.

suzyK
03-10-2008, 03:53 AM
What's the point of that?

I need to go look up the plot and stuff.

Fire Away
03-10-2008, 03:54 AM
What's the point of that?

I need to go look up the plot and stuff.

The point is to add texture and depth to the characters and storyline. :[

Seawolf
03-10-2008, 03:57 AM
The alien in question doesn't even really have a gender, although she looks female.

suzyK
03-10-2008, 03:58 AM
It's a space opera? No comment.

If I was made to play it, I'd get pretty bored. It puts a really big emphasis on storyline, it just doesn't seem to be my type of game. But of course, I haven't played and I do want to. I'll ask my dad if we can rent it.

It's weird, how did Humans get so technological in 2138 A.D.? Halo takes place in 2552-2553, and it's not even that advanced... (human weaponry and stuff).

Fire Away
03-10-2008, 03:59 AM
The alien in question doesn't even really have a gender, although she looks female.

Well, her species is mono-gendered, technically.

I never picked Liara in any of my files...I think I should start a new one for that reason.

Seawolf
03-10-2008, 04:02 AM
It's a space opera? No comment.

If I was made to play it, I'd get pretty bored. It puts a really big emphasis on storyline, it just doesn't seem to be my type of game. But of course, I haven't played and I do want to. I'll ask my dad if we can rent it.

It's weird, how did Humans get so technological in 2138 A.D.? Halo takes place in 2552-2553, and it's not even that advanced... (human weaponry and stuff).

It's explained during the first cutscene. Alien ruins are found on Mars, and that allowed humans to gain new technology and travel to other planets. The different galaxies and alien races are actually pretty sweet.

Well, her species is mono-gendered, technically.

I never picked Liara in any of my files...I think I should start a new one for that reason.

Yeah, that's what I meant.
My first character went for Liara. It was a weird accident.

suzyK
03-10-2008, 04:04 AM
Eh. Different ideas for different games, I guess. Anywho, I'm hoping to try it out. If I ever get to play it.

No more comments.

Seawolf
03-10-2008, 06:40 PM
Finished the new mission. The Batarians are kinda cool.

It wasn't so bad, although I had hoped for more. The decision you have to make at the end of it is tough. >_>

Fire Away
03-10-2008, 07:48 PM
Finished the new mission. The Batarians are kinda cool.

It wasn't so bad, although I had hoped for more. The decision you have to make at the end of it is tough. >_>

I liked it too. To me though it seemed like a filler mission to hold us over while they work on something bigger. I imagine we might get one or two more of these kinds of things before we get a genuine expansion.

Seawolf
03-10-2008, 08:27 PM
I liked it too. To me though it seemed like a filler mission to hold us over while they work on something bigger. I imagine we might get one or two more of these kinds of things before we get a genuine expansion.

Did you get a new item? I asked the guy at the end for light armor, and that turned out to be Colossus armor, which I already had. =/

It wasn't the best mission ever, but I'm happy with my 50G achievement.

Fire Away
03-10-2008, 08:34 PM
Did you get a new item? I asked the guy at the end for light armor, and that turned out to be Colossus armor, which I already had. =/

It wasn't the best mission ever, but I'm happy with my 50G achievement.

I got Colossus armor too.

I'm hearing from other people that there aren't even any new items/equiment to get.

It was nice to play something new with my Adept though.

Still, it was extremely short. I'll be making rounds with my Solider and Engineer, but after that ME will probably go back on the shelf until some beefier DLC comes out.

George Jefferson
03-13-2008, 03:39 PM
After the dust have settled in this topic, I would like to say one thing: The Asari are pretty beautiful, even when they are old farts. >_>

>_>

>_>

>_>

>_> Also: I'm a newb at this game, can't get used to the grenade button.