PDA

View Full Version : What's in a Name?

Hazmat
11-24-2007, 03:26 PM
Names, names, names.

Discuss everything about them right here.

What does yours mean?

Where'd your parents get it from?

Do you like it?

What's your favorite name?

etc. etc. etc.

--------

I've got a pretty unique name, actually.

Well, my real name's Adrian, but everyone calls me Ace, after my grandfather.

I've been called it since I was little, and many people actually find it a wierd name, but I don't.

When substitute teachers call roll, they say, "Adrian?" and I reply, "It's Ace."

Then, they look at me all funny. XD

Bryce
11-24-2007, 03:31 PM
i likez your name :D

i dont know where my parents got my name from: "Alex" <--- yes, that is my first name...& i personally do not like it..

My middle name is "Bryce" in case ya'll were wondering ;) [i know that they got this name from a famous Green Bay Packers: Bryce Popp..

Professor Geoffrey
11-24-2007, 06:08 PM
Of course, my name is Geoffrey. *points at username*

It means heavenly place, or pretty much anything else heavenly. <3

It originated in England, and I was named that because... it just sounded like a good name... Weirdly, my dad's adopted brother's name is Jeffrey. Anyway, my brother's and sister's names were named after people in Soap Opra shows. Both from General Hospital, I believe. XD

Hatchet
11-24-2007, 06:12 PM
Well, my first name is Ramiro and I don't think it means anything. xD
My favorite name would be.... Tiffany. Don't ask why. >_<

Shadow Eevee
11-24-2007, 06:23 PM
My name means lighting in Armenian, and my brother's means revenge. I'll give out 500 dollars for the first person who'll figure our names out. xD

HorrorScope
11-24-2007, 06:27 PM
I share my real name with a popular guy. ^^

Yup, my name is Scott!

Mainly because I was born in Scotland, but the freaky thing is. My original name would have been Ryan, which is pe2k's name. Lol.

Sixto
11-24-2007, 08:06 PM
My name is obviously italian, got it from my great grandparents who are from Italy. Besides, my mom's name is Maria, so yeah. :tongue3:

Phantom Kat
11-24-2007, 08:41 PM
I wish my name was Kat... ;__;

But no, it's Rocio, which is Spanish. My mom got it off this woman whose name was Rocio and though "When I have another daughter, I'm going to name her Rocio." Seeing as how my brother and sister have my parents' names, I'm lucky I didn't wind up with something like Gloria or Carmen. >>;

- Kat

Drift
11-25-2007, 02:33 AM
My name's Lauren.
It's unexciting, uneventful, and unattractive.
:D

Golden-Silver
11-25-2007, 02:35 AM
Well... my name is Ryan.. *sighs*

its just plain boring

pokemaster1111
11-25-2007, 03:07 AM
Well my name is Alonzo [as you all can see when I make my little signature after every post], and my name means that I'm "bold" and "ready". And no not "bald" as in having no hair, "bold" as in being brave and overcoming obstacles and whatnot.

-Alonzo

Hyper Blaze
11-25-2007, 03:09 AM
My name is the opposite of me. It's Kevin, it means, gentle, and nice, xD.

~HB~

Pokeboy sarab
11-25-2007, 03:24 AM
My name is Sarab, which means "everything", "all", and stuff like that. My parents got my name from religious texts...(ironic considering im kinda atheist).

Realityxxx
11-25-2007, 03:55 AM
Mine is a french name. Genevieve. But i hate it, so i make people call me Blue.

Jazza
11-25-2007, 04:37 AM
My name's Lauren.
It's unexciting, uneventful, and unattractive.
:D

Nooo, that's all wrong. ;P

My names Joe...it's...um. It's...i got nothing. D:

Blue-
11-25-2007, 04:39 AM
My name is Kelly, meaning warrior. It kind of suits me, and I'm okay with it. And no, I'm not named after anyone in my family.

Kind of boring story. :\

Hazmat
11-25-2007, 06:29 AM
Just looked up the meaning of my name.

Ace / Latin / Unity, One

Pretty cool, I think.

I like my name, now. =]]

Stardy
11-26-2007, 01:00 PM
Im Joseph, because my parents met eachother at my fathers play when he starred in Joseph and his Multicolour Dreamcoat (or something like that) as Joseph, when they where 14.

So there, thats what it means =P

pikahero2
11-27-2007, 09:42 PM
I share my real name with a popular guy. ^^

Yup, my name is Scott!

Mainly because I was born in Scotland, but the freaky thing is. My original name would have been Ryan, which is pe2k's name. Lol.

My name too! 0_O

Ryan is meh name I share it with alot of people.

I got it from meh grand daddy "Dean Ryan Byrne" funny name right?

Also if my granda didnt exist my name would've been "Aaron"

Orthar
11-27-2007, 09:45 PM
My name is Zach.

If I was born a girl my mom said I was going to be Stacey.

I don't really like my name, especially since it's really "Zachary" and it's just blech.

I would rather be a Shawn, or a Chris.

Stinky
11-27-2007, 11:44 PM
Well, I used to have a site bookmarked that had what every name means, but I lost it.

My name is Michael, I was named after my uncle, boring story really.

EDIT: Found it (http://www.behindthename.com/). Apparently, my name means "Who is like God?". :D

Dragon_Master
11-27-2007, 11:57 PM
Jordan

To descend
Cool.

What do you think of my name?
It's for boys and girls. :tongue: I did not know that until I looked at Canis Lupus' site

Nirvash
11-28-2007, 12:48 AM
Alexander - "Defending Men" as in "Defender". I love it, especially since I defend the weak when Robin Hood isn't around. It's perfect. Nice pay. Yes, we Alex's get paid.

LOOO;LLOLOLOLOLOLOL.

Orthar
11-28-2007, 01:01 AM
From the Hebrew name זְכַרְיָה (Zekharyah) which meant "YAHWEH remembers". Zechariah was a minor prophet of the Old Testament, author of the Book of Zechariah. This is also the name of the father of John the Baptist in the New Testament, who was temporarily made dumb because of his disbelief.

^
Pretty cool if you ask me.

RawrIsMyMiddleName
11-28-2007, 01:06 AM
Cruz, that means I'm cross. =[. But nah, I got it because I was born after my mum got out of a cruise ship. O.o, just asked me parents.

Hypocrisy is Fun
11-28-2007, 05:28 AM
My name means God has favored. That's pretty cool. :o

I don't think my parents even know why they gave me this name, it just came to them I guess.

I like my name. It's pretty unique, or at least the way it's spelled.

Shen
11-28-2007, 06:08 AM
My name, Devon, according to the site that Canis so graciously linked, is apparently the name of a country in England (I'm named after a country xD), and that country got it's name from the Dumnonii, a Celtic tribe.

It is also found as a variant for Devin. That in turn is from an Anglicized Irish surname derived from either of the Irish surnames Ó Damháin (which means "descendent of Damhán") or Ó Dubháin (which means "descendent of Dubhán"). The given name Damhán means "fawn"; the given name Dubhán means "little black one".

Not exactly sure what that means...lol

EonMythos
11-28-2007, 10:58 AM
My name is Naomi, which I believe was picked because it was the name of one of my mom's friends, and she really liked it. And I think it had something to do with the model, as well.

According to the site Canis linked, it means the following;

From the Hebrew name נָעֳמִי (Na'omiy) meaning "pleasantness".
Or;
From Japanese 直 (nao) "honest, straight" and 美 (mi) "beautiful".

I actually always liked my name, since it was unique, and it sounds nice. :3 (The fact that it's also Japanese is a plus. ^_^)

Shdw_Tamwyn
11-28-2007, 11:54 AM
Mines David, and I hate it :/

I dunno why they gave me this name, but my mom was gonna name me something more unique...

Hazmat
11-28-2007, 12:45 PM
That website makes my name sound rather dull.

"From the vocabulary word meaning 'highest rank'. Originally a nickname."

Unity/One sounds a lot cooler. =]]

Freddy Fro
11-28-2007, 12:52 PM
Well I just looked at that website, and it said like my name was a surname based on the name David. Bah, I hate the name David (No offense to anyone with the name David), but when Old people get my name mixed up because they can't hear, and I say it at, pretty much, the top of my lungs, they still call me David >:|

Oh and my name's Davis, I'll have to really find out what it means, but I know I got it from my great uncle Davis :D

Fro~

Shiny Loser
11-28-2007, 01:15 PM
My name's Alex. My mom is always apologizing for giving me the name, but I really enjoy having a guy's name even though i'm a girl. I know Alex means some kind of protector.

Ataro
11-28-2007, 02:10 PM
Did you guys realize most of us don't like our names?

My real name is Daniel, and I personally don't like it too. I would prefer a name like 'Alex' than 'Daniel', Bryce and I can exchange names. :tongue:

Shadow Eevee
11-29-2007, 12:01 AM
My name's Alex. My mom is always apologizing for giving me the name, but I really enjoy having a guy's name even though i'm a girl. I know Alex means some kind of protector.

Or Alexandria.

That site said my name didn't exsist. =\

Ranma
11-29-2007, 12:19 AM
My name is Matthew. I wish I had a more unique name. :/

I have no idea why I was named Matthew.

TheEvilDookie
11-29-2007, 12:31 AM
I guess I like my name. My parents named me after my uncle.

I like the the nicknames my friends call me though; makes me feel like people actually care who I am :]

fullmetal
11-29-2007, 01:00 AM
My name is Antwan.....Just Kidding my name is Anthony. Uhmmm my grandma named me after St. Anthony, but i'm atheist so I really don't care how I got my name. Yeah I think its boring...So I have a bunch of nicknames.xD

wildfire1313
11-29-2007, 09:35 PM
Mines Donal, would you have guessed?
Its Irish, it means world ruler.
*looks down on everyone, laughs and throws thunderbolts*

FireBrawl Latios
11-30-2007, 01:20 AM
I like my name. Way too unique to find on any web with name meanings. It's just the last (or rather, sur, because it comes first) name that I hate.

Kenny_C.002
11-30-2007, 05:47 AM
I like my name. Way too unique to find on any web with name meanings. It's just the last (or rather, sur, because it comes first) name that I hate.
Most Chinese names tend to be like that, though. I'm sure their meaning from a Chinese perspective would be there, as my parents definitely had that in mind when they named me my Chinese name.

Shiny Loser
11-30-2007, 09:13 AM
Or Alexandria.

That site said my name didn't exsist. =\
Sorry, you're wrong there. I'm not Alexandra nor Alexandria, just Alex, and that's why it's a guy's name. :P

Or did you mean Alexandria meant protector as well?

And speaking about Chinese names, I have a real one (xD). It's 劉庭安, or Tíng An Líu (Liu is the last name), and I personally HATE it. It sounds way too feminine to be my name.

Treeky111
11-30-2007, 10:28 PM
I dont understand the point of this thread really.

Phantasm.Angel
12-01-2007, 01:08 AM
My name is Ryan, but I was going to be called Grant. *shudders* Luckily, my cousin wrote a bunch of letters to my pregnant mom asking her to not name me grant. God Bless Her!

Drift
12-01-2007, 01:21 AM
I just looked up my name, and it makes me hate it even more... xD

LAUREN
Usage: English
Pronounced: LAWR-en [key]
Feminine form of LAURENCE (1). First popularized by Betty Jean Perske, who used Lauren Bacall as her stage name.

How exciting is that? [/sarcasm]

TeirusuFX
12-01-2007, 01:28 AM
My first name is too horrible to say

I prefer to be called by my middle name, which is Daniel

But if I could choose a name, it'd be Hiroshi, which mean generous, cause it sounds cool

Or maybe Taro, which means big

♪LoaferBoyzX♪

http://www.pokecharms.com/trainercards/cards/19112007/90e4d5b6040ab3972e35013fbe14f111.png

Click the Pokeball...http://www.pokeplushies.com/images/adoptables/37273.gif (http://www.pokeplushies.com/adoptables.php?act=rarecandy&id=37273)...to give it free graffiti!

Drift
12-01-2007, 01:34 AM
My first name is too horrible to say

I prefer to be called by my middle name, which is Daniel

But if I could choose a name, it'd be Hiroshi, which mean generous, cause it sounds cool

Or maybe Taro, which means big

♪LoaferBoyzX♪

http://www.pokecharms.com/trainercards/cards/19112007/90e4d5b6040ab3972e35013fbe14f111.png

Click the Pokeball...http://www.pokeplushies.com/images/adoptables/37273.gif (http://www.pokeplushies.com/adoptables.php?act=rarecandy&id=37273)...to give it free graffiti!

Ah, I'm the same. I like my middle name much better. ^^ It's Deliah, with an 'h'. It's never spelt with an 'h', but it just sort of... happened. :P I like it a lot, much more than my first name.

DELIA
Usage: English, Italian, Spanish
Means "of Delos" in Greek. This was an epithet of the Greek goddess Artemis, given because she and her twin brother Apollo were born on the island of Delos.

See? That's SO much more interesting than... Lauren. :dazed:

Hazmat
12-01-2007, 01:40 AM
I just looked up my name, and it makes me hate it even more... xD

LAUREN
Pronounced: LAWR-en [key]
Feminine form of LAURENCE (1). First popularized by Betty Jean Perske, who used Lauren Bacall as her stage name.

How exciting is that? [/sarcasm]

It's not that bad. =]]

I know lots of nice people named Lauren.

It seems that everyone dislikes their name.

[[and I can confess that I do as well, sometimes.]]

TayyabX
12-01-2007, 02:00 AM
I'm gonna search mines up when I wake up tomorrow, but if anyone can do it since I have to go now, I'd appreciate it. ^^

My name is Tayyab, but I think the only one you can find is probably Tayiab/Tayab/Taiyab ... <.<
I like my name, because it's different, and I haven't met one person who has the same name... :D

But sometimes I wish it was different, sometimes... =P

Linoone
12-01-2007, 02:09 AM
IN the students dictionary my name, Gabriel, not pronounceed Gabb-ree-el!, actually means the archangel and a messanger or something. Forgot. I just know my name means angel.

GABRIEL

Usage: English, French, German, Scandinavian, Spanish, Portuguese, Romanian, Polish, Biblical

Pronounced: GAY-bree-el (English), ga-bree-EL (French), GAHP-ryel (Polish) [key]

From the Hebrew name גַבְרִיאֵל (Gavri'el) which meant "strong man of God". Gabriel is one of the seven archangels in Hebrew tradition. He appears in both the Old Testament and the New Testament, where he serves as the announcer of the births of John to Zechariah and Jesus to Mary. According to Islamic tradition he was the angel who dictated the Qur'an to Muhammad.

>.>

PalkiaAndBlisseyrock
12-01-2007, 07:07 AM
My name is Heather, which is a Plant. I don't mind my name, I think it's nice, I don't really know what other name I would use if I could change it... I also got it because of my Scottish heritage. (Hooray!) The only thing I don't really like about my name is that it can be shortened to 'head', thus often leading to the nickname 'big head'

I'll go check that site that was posted too. ^^
Edt: Yesh.
HEATHER

Pronounced: HE-dhur [key]
Means simply "heather" from the English word for the variety of small shrubs with pink or white flowers which commonly grow in rocky areas. It is derived from Middle English hather.

MY NAME IS NOT PRONOUNCED LIKE THAT. The site liiieeees! IT LIIIIIIEEEEEEESSSSS!!!

Snow Fairy Sugar
12-01-2007, 07:17 AM
My name's Betsy-May. I know, really dumb, isn't it? My dad wanted to name me "May", I think, when I was born, after the May-blossom flowers, but mom had read a book about a little girl called Betsy-May, so she named me after her. =/

I so hate it when anyone calls me that. Everyone except for my family{Like aunts, uncles, especially grandma} call me May.

Kirby pikachu
12-08-2007, 11:31 PM
I was named after Miss Universe in 1997.My name is Chelsi.It means a landind point,which means I make people feel stronger about themselves.

Darkria111
12-08-2007, 11:45 PM
My name is Ryan. I really don't know what it means, but it is the same as Ryan's here!!! Go Ryans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JentleViolence
12-09-2007, 12:38 AM
I've never met somebody with the same name as me. =D

My name is most unusual, and most people either mispronounce it or misspell it.

What's weirder is that it is a name of Russian orgins. I don't think my folks thought of that when they named me. xD

Meaning in a name (http://www.bostonuk.com/name_meanings.php?f=Boston)

Extremely intelligent in thought and deed you are gifted at communication and finding practical applications for your ideas. You are strong willed and ambitious and need to have passion, freedom and adventure in your life. Always willing to help others your warm, honest and loyal nature ensures that you are loved by all. It is likely that you will achieve a great deal of success and recognition in life.

Ranma
12-09-2007, 12:44 AM
MATTHEW

Usage: English, Biblical

Pronounced: MATH-yoo [key] (http://www.behindthename.com/pronunciation.php)

English form of Ματθαιος (Matthaios), which was a Greek form of the Hebrew name מַתִּתְיָהוּ (Mattityahu) which meant "gift of YAHWEH". Saint Matthew, also called Levi, was one of the twelve apostles, a tax collector. He was supposedly the author of the first Gospel in the New Testament.

My super exciting name [/sarcasm]

Mitsuzo-kun
12-09-2007, 12:47 AM
My name's Jackson. It's Welsh, I think. No, I do not like it. If I had a cracker for every time I heard a Michael Jackson pun I'd be fat. :x

Seawolf
12-09-2007, 02:06 AM
I found this on Google.

The meaning of the name Meaghan is Pearl.

The origin of the name Meaghan is American.

Info on this name: American pseudo-Irish spelling of Megan.

My name is a Pokemon game version? That's classy.

Stardy
12-09-2007, 01:45 PM
I looked Joseph up.

JOSEPH

Usage: English, French, German, Biblical

Pronounced: JO-sef (English), zho-ZEF (French), YO-zef (German) [key]

From the Latin Iosephus, which was from the Greek Ιωσηφος (Iosephos), which was from the Hebrew name יוֹסֵף (Yosef) meaning "he will add". In the Old Testament Joseph is the eleventh son of Jacob. Because he was the favourite of his father, his older brothers sent him to Egypt and told their father that he had died. In Egypt, Joseph became an advisor to the pharaoh, and was eventually reconciled with his brothers when they came to Egypt during a famine. This is the name of two characters in the New Testament: Joseph the husband of Mary and Joseph of Arimathea. Also, rulers of the Holy Roman Empire have had this name.

Cool eh?
Its also the 11'th most popular name in USA for 07 =P.

eb90
12-09-2007, 01:56 PM
Puru that's my name
Can't find the meaning
It's indian that's why.

miyoun
12-11-2007, 03:01 PM
My names Louise.

French.

Disgusting.

I know what it means.

Nearly everyone in my year is called Louise.

:/

I'm always near the bottom of the registers though, because my surname start with an S, and barely anyone has last names past T.

:/