PDA

View Full Version : Weight Lifting

Jazza
12-02-2007, 07:31 AM
Does anyone here weight lift?

I decided that, from today, i'll be lifting weights, swimming and surfing everyday for aslong as I can, due to my friend being teased about his weight. Don't want it happening to me.

So, anyone got any tips, or anyone else apart from me weight lift? Discuss :D

JentleViolence
12-02-2007, 07:41 AM
I don't weight lift, but my brother does. He does it for the basketball team *cough and to impress cheerleaders *cough*.

I think that he said that one of the most important things to remember is not to overstep your boundaries...if you weigh a certain weight, there should be a specific weight load that you're lifting....or, something like that. XD

Oh, and they say that you shouldn't start weight lifting until you're at least 15 or 16 years old. So be careful. :O

Fire Away
12-02-2007, 07:42 AM
I hate lifting weights. >_<

I just run. A lot more fun than lifting weights, which gets tedious after doing it like, four times. :/

The best tip I can give you is to keep it interesting. If you're not having fun working out, don't expect it to last.

Jazza
12-02-2007, 08:02 AM
I don't weight lift, but my brother does. He does it for the basketball team *cough and to impress cheerleaders *cough*.

I think that he said that one of the most important things to remember is not to overstep your boundaries...if you weigh a certain weight, there should be a specific weight load that you're lifting....or, something like that. XD

Oh, and they say that you shouldn't start weight lifting until you're at least 15 or 16 years old. So be careful. :O

Yeah, i heard that too. I should google it, see if it's an Old Wives Tale. And yeah, i way 50 Kilos, and can lift 5 Kilos on both arms, so i'm lifting a fifth of my weight. Not alot for a 12 year old, i know, but i try.

I hate lifting weights. >_<

I just run. A lot more fun than lifting weights, which gets tedious after doing it like, four times. :/

The best tip I can give you is to keep it interesting. If you're not having fun working out, don't expect it to last.

Yeah, i was playing with ways to do it, like, i was typing on MSN/AIM with one hand, doing 5 on one arm, then switching arms, etc. I also do the thing where you see fast you can lift the weights above your head.

Then, i went to my garage (dad turned it into a workout room for me, him and my sister) and hit the punchbag for a while, then did 100 on a skipping rope, and was contemplating going for a run, but i did my swimming, so i thought i'd leave the running for tomorrow, aswel as the surfing.

Callum
12-02-2007, 05:02 PM
I just go to the gym. I haven't been going long, but I get it free with my school, so It's all good. :oops:

I do 16 reps of 7.5kg, 12 reps of 10kg, and 8 reps of 12.5kg. That's what the instructor told me to do. I do this maybe 4 times.
It depends how you're lifting the weights aswell of course, as to what weight you should be lifting.

Orthar
12-02-2007, 05:07 PM
I love weightlifting. I used to hit the gym every week day, but I've slacked off. I'll be starting again this upcoming week.

You should have a rotation schedule, work on a different body part every day. If I were to weightlift tomarrow, I would be doing legs. Tuesday Biceps/Triceps, Wednesday Upper Back, ect.

I Leg Press 275.

~Falcon~
12-02-2007, 08:05 PM
its basically mandatory for sports. Your sore the first week, but then you adjust and it doesn't hurt [as bad :P] I'm in the gym Monday Wendsday Friday and sometimes weekends

Jazza
12-02-2007, 08:22 PM
its basically mandatory for sports. Your sore the first week, but then you adjust and it doesn't hurt [as bad :P] I'm in the gym Monday Wendsday Friday and sometimes weekends

Hehe, i go to my school Gym mondays, wednesdays and fridays too. I'll be going on my daily morning jogs/runs to school, too, which i start in 10 minutes. :D

Finchy
12-02-2007, 09:31 PM
I'll probably do it through sixth form since we get a gym free with our school as well. We've got a pretty good gym, so I'll be ripped by the time I've finished my A-Levels :P

RonRaygunX3
12-03-2007, 12:47 AM
I do lift wieghts... kind of. Every night while I'm watchin television I let the guns go off with some 7 lbs.

IT
12-03-2007, 11:50 AM
I Leg Press 275.

I hope that's in kilograms, cause I leg press approx. 200 kilos and I'm a slim guy. :P

Yeah, I've been going to the gym for a couple years and due to my build, the results aren't as pleasing as I would've hoped for in the beginning. I've been going 3-4 times a week for an hour or two for a while now. I try not to raise too much weight because I want to stay slim, so the results only show in muscles.

As for tips:

-don't go everyday. Your muscles need to relax, because they grow when they are relaxing after a training session.

-start out with light weights and long series of reps; no need to load the maximum amount right away

-do the moves correctly or they won't do any good

-make sure you have a good diet and get enough sleep. Lots of fibers and protein will get you going with 8+ hours of sleep.

-try to have a partner, because you'll minimize the risk of getting hurt somehow that way and it's always cool to chat with a friend during breaks from the reps.

-make sure you break a sweat every time you go to the gym in the first few months. Then you'll know you're doing something. After the few months, you can shorten the amount of reps you do and sweat won't be as easy to get.

-don't rush or get depressed when the results don't show up in just a few months. Be patient!

Hope I helped!