PDA

View Full Version : -Nomad Heart-

Mechaflame
03-21-2004, 12:18 AM
-Nomad Heart-
Chapter One - Beginnings

The rain was coming down hard that night. The storm had blown up rather quickly, and was releasing a deluge on the little town of Fellin. In the forest just west of town, a small group of Caterpie was huddled underneath the large petals of a Vileplume's flower. Further along, in a clearing near the edge of the forest, a single prop plane sat on the runway of the Fellin Municipal Airport, it's propeller spinning furiously, cutting defiantly at the sheet of rain. A flash of lightning, followed by a sharp clap of thunder, lit up the night, but not by much.

Inside the terminal, the airline employees were busy tightening up the windows and closing up, preventing the rain from getting inside the old hangar. Several Butterfree were patching leaks in the roof, and a Mr. Mime was gathering up the baggage and covering it with a tarp. And, further down the terminal causeway, a family was preparing to board the little plane, bound for faraway Celadon City. The man, his wife, and their infant son were on their way to Celadon in order for the man to finalize a business partnership, and afterward would take his family shopping at the Celadon Shopping Center.

"Your flight is ready to go, sir. Mr. Mime will take you out to the plane," said
the terminal manager, a dismal, tomboyish female with a Spearow on her shoulder. She looked as if her mood was reflecting the tirade outside, as did that of the Spearow she carried. It gave a somber sigh as it looked out the window.

"Thank you, miss," the man replied. He was in something of a hurry, he wanted to get airborn before the storm got any worse.

"Be careful, sir. The weather report isn't looking too good, at least not until
tomorrow morning."

"I will. You too." And with that, the man and his family followed Mr. Mime out
into the storm, and out to the little plane sitting on the runway.

The storm wasn't any better at 25,000 feet. The pilot had climed to that altitude,
hoping to get above the cloud deck, but it was no use. This was the biggest storm
that this part of the country had seen in some time, and there was no way around
it.

"It's not any better up here, sir. Looks like we'll have to ride it out untill we
reach Celadon City."

The man looked up from his business notes at the pilot in front of him. He gave a
desparing sigh, put down his breif, and stepped up into the co-pilot seat. Behind
them, his wife and son slept quietly. He looked back at them, sighed again, and turned back to the pilot. "That bad, eh?"

"Yes, sir. The weather band on the radio forecasts the storm lasting all night, and the entire area from here to Celadon Airport."

"Let's hope we can make it. This meeting will ensure my financial future, and more importantly, I fear for the safety of my family. We must make it."

"I'll try climbing up to 30,000 feet sir, but I doubt it will..." The pilot never got
the chance to finish his thought.

A bolt of lightning had struck the tiny plane, puncturing a hole in the left wing. The plane rocked violently, throwing the man from the co-pilot's seat. His head slammed into the guage panel, knocking him unconcious. The pilot, shaken, tried to right the plane, but it had begun to dip uncontrollably.

The man's wife and son had been awakened by the chaos. Still strapped in her seat, and clutching her infant child close to her, she screamed in complete terror. The pilot, realizing that he could no longer control the aircraft, lept from his seat and hurried back to the woman. "Ma'am," he screamed, "I can't get control of the plane. I suggest we put your son in with the emergency gear, he'll be safe in there. There are alot of padded materials. I'll try an emergency landing as soon as I get the chance."

Realizing there was no other way to save her son, she handed the boy to the pilot, who placed him in the emergency gear compartment, which was laden with blankets, pillows, and other such gear for use in emergency landings. But, this would sadly serve no other perpose than to protect the child...

Returning to the controls, the pilot began his futile attempt to bring the plane down intact. Ahead was a mountain, surrounded by dense forest. No landing in the trees, the pilot thought to himself. And then, out of the corner of his eye, he caught sight of a plateau. It was narrow, and was covered with boulders, but it was the only chance to land the plane. Without another thought, the pilot desperately tried to aim his craft at the plateau. As it neared it's final landing site, the pilot looked back at the man, lying unconcious behind him on the floor, and then at the woman, still strapped in her seat. She was frozen with fear, looking at him with distant, hopeless eyes. Just before the plane hit the ground, he looked at her and managed to say one last thing: "I'm Sorry."

And with that, the plane slammed onto the plateau, and began to slide towards the far edge. As it hit the first of the boulders, the right wing was torn from the fuselage, and it started into a dead spin. Further along, the tail section was shattered by another boulder, stopping the plane's spin. The plane continued toward the edge at a dizzying clip. One last boulder stood between it and the 52 story drop to the forest canopy below. The plane slammed, nose first, into the boulder, flipping it up into the air. It landed on the edge, severing what was left of the fuselage in half. The front portion of the wreckage fell, bouncing off the side of the cliff several times before landing in the woods below, erupting in a ball of flame.

Inside a cave, a solitary Cubone sat in front of a fire. He had come into the cave when the storm began. Suddenly, from outside the cave mouth, the Cubone heard a loud crashing sound. His eyes grew wider as the crashing continued for several seconds, ending with an impact that shook the cave floor, knocking him over. Half scared and half curious as to what was happening outside his makeshift shelter, the Cubone picked up his club and ran for the cave entrance. When he reached it, his was knocked to his feet by the shockwave from an explosion nearby. He ran to the edge of the plateau to see what had caused it, and when he looked down, he was greeted by a rush of thick black smoke. It burned his eyes for just a second, and when they cleared, he saw the flames. He stared for a few seconds, and
turned back to return to the cave. And that's when he saw the other half of the plane.

The wreckage was suprisingly intact for what had happened to it. The tail section was gone, but the passanger compartment was still together. Curious as to what was inside, the Cubone stepped in. What he saw, though his knowledge of human things was limited, made him sad.

On the floor, covered in blood and not moving, lay the body of an older man. Cubone poked the man with his bone club, but he didn't respond. Cubone stepped further into the body of the wreck. There he saw a woman, slumped over but still stapped into her seat, and like the man he had just seen, she wasn't moving. A few pokes with is bone club confirmed it, and Cubone turned to leave. But, just as he took his first step out of the wreck, he heard it.

It sounded like crying, but it was muffled. Cubone looked around, but couldn't see where the sound was coming from. He looked all around the wreckage, but still couldn't locate the source of the crying. And then, he noticed a small panel, set into the wall. It was slightly open. The crying was coming from behind it. Cubone jammed his bone club into the opening, pried the panel off of the wall. Inside were blankets, pillows, even a pup tent. And buried in it all, he found the source of the noise.

Cubone pulled away a blanket and found a human child. So that's what was crying. And then, it hit him. Cubone looked at the child, and then at the motionless woman nearby. A small tear ran down his cheek from behind his skull helmet. The woman. The man. They were this child's parents. And they were gone. Whatever had happened to this plane, the child was the only survivor. And they had something in common. They had both lost their parents. Cubone stood for a few seconds, crying at the memory of his own mother and this child's similar loss.

And with that, he decided he must put aside his lonesome lifestyle and help the human. He picked up the infant, placed the skull over him, and hurried back to the cave. He laid the boy down next to the fire. He was still crying, so Cubone decided to curl up next to it. When the storm subsided, he would take the child to the nearby town of Boulder. The infant calmed down, and soon was fast asleep. Cubone wasn't far behind...

Mechaflame
03-21-2004, 02:00 PM
So does anybody like my story so far? :neutral:

boltAge
03-24-2004, 03:24 PM
Please continue the story, I love it. It's kinda of sad how the child's parents and Cubone's parents died, you're very creative, so write more! I'm interested in what'll happen next :biggrin: