PDA

View Full Version : Will Yellowstone erupt again?

manectrics_shockwave
04-11-2005, 01:22 AM
So ive been hearing at school about yellowstone supposably erupting again (incase some of you didnt know yellowstone is in wyoming) , and i didnt know if its true or not. I live in wyoming so i was just wondering if anyone knew or not.

Incongruity
04-11-2005, 01:48 AM
well, technically it's supposed to happen anyday now. It usually happens around every 600,000 years, and the last (really big) one was 640,000 years ago. Of course, this really means for like the past few millenia it was supposed to happen anyday now.

if it does happen, it'll be a pretty big problem... considering what that much energy and ash can do... Although some theories overexaggerate a bit (as in WORLD APOCALYPSE! SAVE YOURSELF BEFORE THE SAVIOR COMES TO JUDGE US ALL), it would cause climate change; however, we could use some cooling of the earth to counteract global warming...

Matthew
04-11-2005, 05:27 AM
Well said sk.... you beat me to it... lol.

I want to watch that supervolcano thing on Discovery but I missed the first half of it XD

manectrics_shockwave
04-11-2005, 06:43 AM

I want to watch that supervolcano thing on Discovery but I missed the first half of it XD
i watched it it was pretty boring but i hope that doesnt happen soon lol or id be ash.

Tamer Marco
04-11-2005, 11:23 PM

I want to watch that supervolcano thing on Discovery but I missed the first half of it XD Actually, it was pretty boring. Nothing special about it.

If it does ever erupt, which is likely, due to scientific evidence, its just going to erupt. Yellowstone streches for miles, it would be a major problem.

Mysterio
04-11-2005, 11:28 PM
Darn...All of the good comments are taken... :sad:

Well, I think Yellowstone erupting in a possibility. I'm not gonna say I expect it to.

Manjoume Jun
04-11-2005, 11:33 PM
Heh, never known what that sort of fear would feel like... Britain's kinda' boring environmentally.

No major earthquakes, no volcanoes, no tornadoes... just constant rain and summer snow, :P

TDD91
04-12-2005, 01:00 PM
But we do get the occasional Hurricane. =P
"I can assure you that there will be no Hurricane tomorrow"
Next day, the south coast has been devastated by a Hurricane. We also get minor quakes around North Wales an Manchester, an im only about 30-40 miles south east from Manchester. (Jus south of Sheffield. =P)

Daniella Defines Divinity
04-12-2005, 06:23 PM
There was a tornado in my town a couple of years back, all it did was lift a kiddy pool though and was gone 5 minutes later, tiny little thing.

I would share all my geology lessons about the erruption, but you'd probably get bored.
Anyway it won't just be a "major problem" it would be a bloody catastrophe >.< Yellowstone would'nt just errupt, the whole place would blow up with extreme results! Pressure and what not.

Manjoume Jun
04-12-2005, 08:44 PM
I think that the worst disaster I have ever been around (not including one of those road-side Little Chef restaurants) was in Wales during a holiday, a VERY small tremor... did little more than shake our cabin... not like I know from experience though, I slept through it all, XD.

Volcanic eruption... need I mention Bombay?

That place got blasted to buggery and back, still, valuable stuff round there if you go digging, $_$

Daniella Defines Divinity
04-12-2005, 08:52 PM
I think that the worst disaster I have ever been around (not including one of those road-side Little Chef restaurants) was in Wales during a holiday, a VERY small tremor... did little more than shake our cabin... not like I know from experience though, I slept through it all, XD.

Volcanic eruption... need I mention Bombay?

That place got blasted to buggery and back, still, valuable stuff round there if you go digging, $_$

_ Pompei

And it's not the same kind of volcano, it would be more of a krakatoa (underwater volcano, built up pressure, bulge in land, land big enough to be an Island, Island is blown to smitherines and shockwaves creat tsunamis and quakes, killing loads of poeople on Islands nearby >.<

Zenaku
04-12-2005, 08:54 PM
Ah, Yellowstone... I'm fully aware of the devestation such an eruption would cause, and a part of me hopes it never happens, but... Another part of me wishes it'll erupt and kill thousands, just to teach humans that we can't take the planet for granted and continue destroying it.

True, the eruption would have nothing to do with pollution, but how nature itself can kill so many in such a short time should be a message that we should look after the planet.

Also, I believe this belongs in Other Discussion.

*Moved

Manjoume Jun
04-13-2005, 01:02 AM
Pompei, Bombay, XD, XD, XD.

Major buggery on that front, :P

I suck at Geography, I have no idea, XD.

All I know is that a town of sorts was buried after an eruption, and stuff was bad (English went up the crapper too).

Ah well, close enough.

XD... what a mess.

Kenny_C.002
04-13-2005, 05:42 AM
The whole thing with Vesuvius blowing its entire surrounding area (most noted with Pompei and like half of Naples/Herculanius), where a similar eruption happened only during the Mt. St. Helen flow? Yeah that's not the same type (it's a flow darn it, not even a characteristic eruption). that reminded me that Vesuvius is actually due for another flow soon...:-/

But this may be a problem for humans...not really for nature itself (well it's probably better off for nature to cause the eruption). If such an eruption is to occur, the area wouldn't be preserved with ash like Pompei...it'll just be smashed to bits...