PDA

View Full Version : What's your favourite strategy?

Akai Shizuku
01-07-2008, 03:38 PM
What are some strategems you favour? Personally, I like to keep putting the hurt on my opponents any way possible. With Ninetales, for instance, I like to burn my opponent, encase him/her in Fire Spin so that every turn does a decent amount of damage. Then I simply finish them off. With Mewtwo I use Barrier to solidify his defense (which is otherwise rather weak) and then I completely obliterate my opponent with various attacks. In short, I like to capitalize on my Pokemon's strengths, minimize their weaknesses and leave my opponents helpless until it's time for them to faint.

Team Pokemon
01-07-2008, 04:45 PM
Personaly, I don't have a specific strategie. I guess I do anything to KO my foe, or just to beat him as soon as possible. It isn't such a great strategy though and I am trying to find the best possible. But when the opponent is VERY strong, I definitely won't spend my turns using moves that raise my stats. For example in the battle towers, if you do that, it is in most cases sure that you will die. At least that's how it happens to me.

Gammal
01-07-2008, 06:30 PM
I like batonpassing.

stage1. First of I use a Leafeon to setup with swordsdance
stage 2. I baton pass to an umbreon (giving it has some advantage over the pkm)
Stage 3. Hopefully my enemy switches out to something like a blissey to take a hit, I then trap it with mean look, put up a wish, if I got time and the pkn isnt really a threat to me I put it to sleep aslwell with yawn.
Stage4. I put in my sweaper with yet another batonpass wich is kabutops.
Since blissey cant run I set up raindance and begin my teamsweap :D

shedinjask
01-07-2008, 06:33 PM
^ Bliss won't switch in on a SDer. Or Umbreon.

Get rid of threats with Roserade, set up Sunny Day with Forretress, sweep with Heatran/Roserade, wall with Tangrowth/Forry/Claydol, bring in Shedinja.

gfg .-.

Spongebob Number One Fan
01-07-2008, 08:05 PM
I like using 3 exploding pokemon, a mixed wall, and 2 late-game sweepers. Blow up on Blissey and even Skarm gets nailed by CBgross explosion, then sweep at the end while taking hits with the likes of Cressi.

Ashketcum212
01-07-2008, 08:43 PM
First I have to make sure all my pokemon's moves do damge ( like Flamethrower, unlike Swords Dance and Baton Pass). I dont like stat moves. Then I use my strongest move to weaken it, and when it has really low HP use a weak or not so weak but weak move, so I dont waste PP. Thats my stradedgy!

shedinjask
01-07-2008, 09:03 PM
TBH all out offensive is one of the worst strategies there is.

Moe2
01-07-2008, 09:04 PM
I like seting up sword or dragon dancing pkmn to sweep a team XD.
If any1 would like to battle im free right now.

DragoniteMistress
01-07-2008, 09:05 PM
Sunny Support Lopunny is a sexy beast.

Fire Away
01-08-2008, 12:40 AM
I've never made one weather team I didn't really, really enjoy. :D

Other than that, I've always liked supporting the team using status ailments. Usually it's paralysis, but I had a team that had either W-o-W or Toxic on almost every member.

It was really cool. :D

Xnaz
01-08-2008, 01:19 AM
^ Bliss won't switch in on a SDer. Or Umbreon.

Get rid of threats with Roserade, set up Sunny Day with Forretress, sweep with Heatran/Roserade, wall with Tangrowth/Forry/Claydol, bring in Shedinja.

gfg .-.

What exactly do you do vs. a Dragon Dancing Dragonite? Or Salamence for that matter. It can switch in on Roserades Leaf Storm and take it like nothing, DD up, and OHKO Heatran, Forretress, Tangrowth, Roserade, Shedinja, and on occasion even Claydol.

Unless of course your Roserade is running HP Ice and I am completely oblivious to that fact. :happy: If it isn't, I think you'd be in trouble.

My favorite actual "strategy" is a BellyPassing Smeargle, but as for how I play... Use a lead that can take out the Top 10 Leads (following Shoddy of course), have a Pokmon that can wreck walls that hurt the rest of my team, set up spikes/stealth rocks according to the damage I need to do, and sweep with the last two or three guys.

Offense > Stall

My philosophy is not to try and stop their sweep, but to make them try and stop you.

Akai Shizuku
01-08-2008, 01:23 AM
I like to combine attack and defense. Having my Pokemon make up for their own weaknesses and exploit their opponents'. If they can't exploit their opponents' weaknesses (which is uncommon), I simply go for the most powerful technique in my Pokemon's arsenal. My Lugia, for instance, has an Impish nature....This means his attack and defense are relatively weak compared to my other Pokemon, but his defense is amazing. I make up for his weak attacks by having him learn very powerful techniques. This way, opponents can't scratch him and yet they get obliterated. With Nidoking, his Poison Point ability makes up for his weak defense. His attacks are very strong; Most opponents can't handle his offense. With Daimisei (my Venusaur, as shown in avatar:smile:), I show my opponents (who usually do not expect grass-type attacks) that grass-type moves are not to be taken lightly; I obliterate them with Solarbeam and Frenzy Plant. Also, I let them feel how well my Venusaur and I get along with Return. If he gets injured, it's Giga Drain time. Did I miss someone? Yes, my Vaporeon. His defense is great; not to be taken lightly. His water attacks are strong, as are his others. If an opponent thinks they can break through his already excellent defense, it's time to use Acid Armor. Also, I think it's good to use moves that opponents you are weak to are weak to. Read that over and over until it makes sense.:smile:

My philosophy is not to try and stop their sweep, but to make them try and stop you.

Good philosophy. Having a defense that works specifically best against their attacks? My philosophy is to keep putting the hurt on them, and working around their defenses.

Xnaz
01-08-2008, 01:29 AM
I like to combine attack and defense. Having my Pokemon make up for their own weaknesses and exploit their opponents'. If they can't exploit their opponents' weaknesses (which is uncommon), I simply go for the most powerful technique in my Pokemon's arsenal. My Lugia, for instance, has an Impish nature....This means his attack and defense are relatively weak compared to my other Pokemon, but his defense is amazing. I make up for his weak attacks by having him learn very powerful techniques. This way, opponents can't scratch him and yet they get obliterated. With Nidoking, his Poison Point ability makes up for his weak defense. His attacks are very strong; Most opponents can't handle his offense. With Daimisei (my Venusaur, as shown in avatar:smile:), I show my opponents (who usually do not expect grass-type attacks) that grass-type moves are not to be taken lightly; I obliterate them with Solarbeam and Frenzy Plant. Also, I let them feel how well my Venusaur and I get along with Return. If he gets injured, it's Giga Drain time. Did I miss someone? Yes, my Vaporeon. His defense is great; not to be taken lightly. His water attacks are strong, as are his others. If an opponent thinks they can break through his already excellent defense, it's time to use Acid Armor. Also, I think it's good to use moves that opponents you are weak to are weak to. Read that over and over until it makes sense.:smile:

>.>

Maybe that will work against your friends, but this section is for competitive battling. And by the way, I read that over three times. Still doesn't make sense...

And don't double post.

Akai Shizuku
01-08-2008, 01:38 AM
>.>

Maybe that will work against your friends, but this section is for competitive battling. And by the way, I read that over three times. Still doesn't make sense...

And don't double post.

I'm used to another forum, which has no problem with double posting. Anyway, what I meant was...When your Pokemon's type is weak to your opponent's, it is good strategy to teach your own Pokemon attacks which your opponent's Pokemon is weak to.

Xnaz
01-08-2008, 01:42 AM
I'm used to another forum, which has no problem with double posting. Anyway, what I meant was...When your Pokemon's type is weak to your opponent's, it is good strategy to teach your own Pokemon attacks which your opponent's Pokemon is weak to.

So, how do you apply that logic when your Venesaur has three grass moves and one normal move? Sorry, it just doesn't work bud.

shedinjask
01-08-2008, 01:42 AM
Yes, I run Scarfrade with HP Ice. Also Sleep Powder. Claydol has Ice Beam too, and Forry can always Gyro Ball/Explode. It sets up SR early too. Dragons are not a big problem for me because Salamence is fragile and Dragonite has Outrage, which is Forry bait.

Also Akai learn some Pokemon and then maybe your posts won't be so bad. Please?

Xnaz
01-08-2008, 02:57 AM
Yes, I run Scarfrade with HP Ice. Also Sleep Powder. Claydol has Ice Beam too, and Forry can always Gyro Ball/Explode. It sets up SR early too. Dragons are not a big problem for me because Salamence is fragile and Dragonite has Outrage, which is Forry bait.

Also Akai learn some Pokemon and then maybe your posts won't be so bad. Please?
Ah, Scarfrades are just so much fun huh? Anyways, I was just trying to find something that looked to be a problem. Even with Ice Beam, Claydol can get OHKO'd by the strongest Outrage in the game. Dragonite is also just so bulky... Also, just wondering, do you have problems with Blissey? I'm still not sure on most of your sets, but it seems like a player with decent prediction could avoid your Explosions and such.

But with Scarfrade, you won't find yourself with any problems against Draggy.

BTW, what is your name on Shoddy? Same as your name here?
I am not telling anyone what my stragety is, i dont want anyone to find out.

The point of this thread is to talk about strategies, not to spam and increase your post count.

You fail at life and this game. Have a bad day.

Akai Shizuku
01-08-2008, 03:45 PM
So, how do you apply that logic when your Venesaur has three grass moves and one normal move? Sorry, it just doesn't work bud.

My Pokemon compensate for each other. I also think Return is an excellent move, not only because of the damage it causes but for how it reflects loyalty. Besides, grass-type moves can be suprisingly useful.

Frozen_Mystic
01-08-2008, 03:49 PM
I normaly don't have a strategy, I normally just sweep everything that gets in my way. ^^;; But if I do feel the need to have a strategy, I use Toxi-cune. See, my Suicune has Toxic, Substitute, Calm mind, and Surf. So if my Latias fails in killing my opponent, Suicune will absolutely decimate them. Of course they switch, so I always have a Mean Look Umbreon at the ready, in case Suicune is dead or I don't feel like using it ^_^

Manni
01-08-2008, 08:00 PM
I have a strategy with Blissey:I use Toxic then i use double team and softboiled!!!

shedinjask
01-08-2008, 09:22 PM
Ah, Scarfrades are just so much fun huh? Anyways, I was just trying to find something that looked to be a problem. Even with Ice Beam, Claydol can get OHKO'd by the strongest Outrage in the game. Dragonite is also just so bulky... Also, just wondering, do you have problems with Blissey? I'm still not sure on most of your sets, but it seems like a player with decent prediction could avoid your Explosions and such.

But with Scarfrade, you won't find yourself with any problems against Draggy.

BTW, what is your name on Shoddy? Same as your name here?

Claydol switches into Mence on the DD, survives the Dragon Claw to OHKO. All Dragons fall prey to Scarfrade. Forry can take some Fire Fangs and Gyro Ball, and Shedinja WoWs anything stuck on Outrage. I do have Blissey problems. I was thinking Leech Seed over Morning Sun on Growth.

My Shoddy name is the same as here, but I can't get on it now.

Akai Shizuku
01-08-2008, 10:08 PM
I normaly don't have a strategy, I normally just sweep everything that gets in my way. ^^;; But if I do feel the need to have a strategy, I use Toxi-cune. See, my Suicune has Toxic, Substitute, Calm mind, and Surf. So if my Latias fails in killing my opponent, Suicune will absolutely decimate them. Of course they switch, so I always have a Mean Look Umbreon at the ready, in case Suicune is dead or I don't feel like using it ^_^

So you sweep when possible, and when not, you use agitation techniques?

Spongebob Number One Fan
01-08-2008, 10:31 PM
So you sweep when possible, and when not, you use agitation techniques?

No, you stop the foe's sweeping techniques.

The basic idea of any battle you should go by in general is to know what threats you have to take out, and possibly what pokemon you can sacrifice to kill things to clear a path for a sweep or even to outstall something.

Or that's always been what I've operated under.

Sometimes it's fun to run 5-sweeper teams with the most stable mixed wall you can find and try to outsweep an opponent, but it quite honestly doesn't work very well.

I've always found annoyers to be a lot better than people give them credit for. Any kind of subseeder, status abuser, or staller I find valuable and sometimes annoying your opponent with status and indirect damage (and sometimes hax) can be just what you need to take out a few pokemon.

And again, any strategy without any defense isn't one that is bound to work, even if you know what you're doing.

Xnaz
01-09-2008, 02:21 AM

The basic idea of any battle you should go by in general is to know what threats you have to take out, and possibly what pokemon you can sacrifice to kill things to clear a path for a sweep or even to outstall something.

Or that's always been what I've operated under.

Sometimes it's fun to run 5-sweeper teams with the most stable mixed wall you can find and try to outsweep an opponent, but it quite honestly doesn't work very well.

I've always found annoyers to be a lot better than people give them credit for. Any kind of subseeder, status abuser, or staller I find valuable and sometimes annoying your opponent with status and indirect damage (and sometimes hax) can be just what you need to take out a few pokemon.

And again, any strategy without any defense isn't one that is bound to work, even if you know what you're doing.

That is definitely up to interpretation. The number one player on Shoddy, my friend Aldaron, runs a team with a Sweeper/Sleeper opener, a wall to set up stealth rocks, two physical sweepers and two special sweepers. If you have a goal and a lot of ways to reach it, then offense can be a greater standpoint than defense.

Plus, annoyers can be considered offensive as well. I'd feel like I was being attacked upon if I was losing 1/3 of my health per turn from a SubSeeding Sceptile. If a ParaHaxing Togekiss was tearing up my team, you can be sure that I'd be on my heels.

My point? Offense works. If you worry so much about:

then you'll get swept. There are too many threats to stop in D/P, you can't worry about stopping their techniques. A good offense is the best defense, the statement stays true to this game. Let me give you a quote from Aeroblactyl, not directed at you at all, just the entire D/P metagame: "you only lose not cause you have a weakness to a hail team, but a weakness in not knowing how to play."

Executions will bring victory. You can say your strategy all you want, but with the lack of proper execution it will fail.

Flygon Ruler
01-09-2008, 03:35 AM
I tend to cripple my oponnent with anything possible. This is a bad way to do a quick battle though, as once you put burn/paralys/lefties/whatever it builds up to a very long battle. But, crippling sweepers with Thunder Wave kicks A! WoW is always fun as well as taunt and knock off ^_^ Oh, and don't knock off is a bad move, because I've won battles because of knock Off.

Another starategy that sweeps newbie teams is DD Sala.

Akai Shizuku
01-09-2008, 02:28 PM
I've got a new strategy with my Venusaur; Now I send him up against opponents a Venusaur usually wouldn't do excessively well against, such as a Dragon-type or Flying-type. He's got a new moveset (Frenzy Plant, Hidden Power (Ice), Return and Solarbeam). With this moveset he can handle more kinds of opponents.

shedinjask
01-09-2008, 08:36 PM
With that moveset he sucks.

Xenaz, I know Aldaron and he's a great guy but definately not the number one player on Shoddy.

Akai Shizuku
01-09-2008, 08:54 PM

Xenaz, I know Aldaron and he's a great guy but definately not the number one player on Shoddy.

Instead of imposing belligerence, would you be willing to defend your claim on why my Venusaur's moveset makes him incompetent? Speaking from experience, I can assure you he is rather powerful.

shedinjask
01-09-2008, 09:13 PM
Because Frenzy Plant is equal to a 75 BP Grass move used twice. Same damage, same amount of turns. Energy Ball would be a better choice. Venusaur can not afford to have a recharge turn, especially one he can't switch out of, he is somewhat dependant on his good defenses and support movepool. Likewise, there are better options than non-STAB return and Solarbeam is only good on sweepers that will KO with it before the sun is gone. And from what I've gathered about you, all your experience comes from in-game. You wouldn't last a minute in competitive battling, especially not with that set.

Akai Shizuku
01-09-2008, 09:27 PM
Because Frenzy Plant is equal to a 75 BP Grass move used twice. Same damage, same amount of turns. Energy Ball would be a better choice. Venusaur can not afford to have a recharge turn, especially one he can't switch out of, he is somewhat dependant on his good defenses and support movepool. Likewise, there are better options than non-STAB return and Solarbeam is only good on sweepers that will KO with it before the sun is gone. And from what I've gathered about you, all your experience comes from in-game. You wouldn't last a minute in competitive battling, especially not with that set.

First of all I would like to inform you that I don't play DP...Second of all that I don't have one of those wireless linky thingies. So I won't be doing competitive battling. Ever. Except for the Battle tower..In which my moveset is quite helpful. My movesets work for the way I like to battle. Everyone has at least a slightly different play style and preferences, right?

shedinjask
01-09-2008, 09:54 PM
In-game requires no strategy at all. And everything I said, save Energy Ball (and there are still better choices), goes for ADV as well. Also, battle tower isn't competitive.

Akai Shizuku
01-09-2008, 09:56 PM
In-game requires no strategy at all. And everything I said, save Energy Ball (and there are still better choices), goes for ADV as well. Also, battle tower isn't competitive.

I beg to differ; in-game battling does require strategy depending on how you play. I don't run around with a level 100 Rayquaza in the grasses near Pallet Town. Also, from what I hear, the Battle Towers are quite similar to competitive battles.

shedinjask
01-09-2008, 09:58 PM
Battle Tower is the equivalent of battling a retarded monkey. It's AI. As long as you're going against AI, there are two methods of strategy:

1. Type advantage
2. Level

Akai Shizuku
01-09-2008, 10:00 PM
Battle Tower is the equivalent of battling a retarded monkey. It's AI. As long as you're going against AI, there are two methods of strategy:

1. Type advantage
2. Level

That depends on which game you play, your battle style and strategies, and your Pokemon. I play LeafGreen, where the Battle Tower is of comparatively high difficulty compared to other AI.

shedinjask
01-09-2008, 10:06 PM
But it's still AI. Which is like battling someone with only a basic grasp of the metagame, bad prediction skills, and a cheap moveset. There's always strategy somewhere but it's considerably less than in competitive.

Akai Shizuku
01-09-2008, 10:09 PM
But it's still AI. Which is like battling someone with only a basic grasp of the metagame, bad prediction skills, and a cheap moveset. There's always strategy somewhere but it's considerably less than in competitive.

On the other hand, it is the game against you and thus it will never forget or not know what your Pokemon is weak to, what it is resistant against, etc. Also, different games can and usually mean different AI difficulty. The AI in LeafGreen is alot more difficult than the AI in Crystal.

shedinjask
01-09-2008, 10:15 PM
Really skilled battlers never forget a Pokemon's type weaknesses and resistances, among other things. Sure, Skarmory is weak to Fire Fang, but a good battler knows it's more weak to Flamethrower. If a person knows you have Cresselia, they won't try to EQ with Tar, they will Crunch. No matter the level of AI, it will never be on par with an actual person.

Xnaz
01-10-2008, 01:46 AM

Not the best, but I believe he is ranked #1 as olympic glory... There is no best battler IMO. :ermm:
Really skilled battlers never forget a Pokemon's type weaknesses and resistances, among other things. Sure, Skarmory is weak to Fire Fang, but a good battler knows it's more weak to Flamethrower. If a person knows you have Cresselia, they won't try to EQ with Tar, they will Crunch. No matter the level of AI, it will never be on par with an actual person.

QFT

pikachufan25
01-10-2008, 02:08 AM
I liked having a stamie that used rain dance then knew thunder and surf, that worked out well for me, also it was holding a damp rock.

Dude7
01-17-2008, 09:52 AM
I DOn't Use Any Complecated Strategy:goofy:
I Just Try TO KO My Opponent Quickly:dazed:
Off Course I Don't Really Give My Opponent Any Status Problem:cool:
Well ... Not on Purphase At Least:oops: