PDA

View Full Version : Arcanine: Special or Physical?

Charizard Michelle
01-15-2008, 02:51 AM
I am playing with the idea of using and Arcanine but not sure what kind I want. A psychical or Speacil. I think I have two different sets but I don't know what to go with. ALso not sure about the nature.

Arcanine@???
Flash Fire
Jolly
4 Hp/252 Att/252 Spd
Flare Blitz
Extreme Speed
Crunch
???

Not sure if I sure just throw in Dragon Pulse since it nature is against that.

Arcanine@???
Flash Fire
Timid
4 Hp/252 Att/252 Spd
Flamethrower
???
???
???

No idea about this set.

Or should I consider a mix set with a nature that promotes speed and decrease one of the defenses?

Nya~

Ultima Boss
01-15-2008, 03:31 AM
You're not going to get much out of Special Arcanine, which is severely limited to STAB Specials, Dragon Pulse, and Hidden Power . With that, you'd cover more with HP Ice than Dragon Pulse, but you will have fewer that resist Dragon as opposed to Ice. It's Physical counterpart, however, has more options:

http://pokemonelite2000.com/sprites/dpmba/dpmba059.png
-Item: Choice Band | Choice Scarf
-Nature: Adamant
-Ability: Intimidate | Flash Fire
-EVs: 4 HP | 252 ATK | 252 SPD
-Moveset:
~Flare Blitz
~Extremespeed | Thunder Fang | Crunch | Overheat
~Thunder Fang | Crunch | Overheat | Reversal
~Thunder Fang | Crunch | Overheat

[i]Your Arcanine of Choice, specializing either Extremespeed with Choice Band or Reversal with Choice Scarf. Extremespeed is self-explanatory, but not recommended with Choice Scarf; Reversal, however, is a last resort attack if you're good at prediction and/or you want a finishing move. Other than that, Thunder Fang and Crunch are just about all you're going to get with offensive moves.

http://pokemonelite2000.com/sprites/dpmba/dpmba059.png
-Item: Life Orb | Salac Berry
-Nature: Jolly
-Ability: Intimidate | Flash Fire
-EVs: [12 HP] | [246 ATK | 252 ATK] | [4 DEF] | 252 SPD
-Moveset:
~Howl
~Flare Blitz | Fire Fang
~Extremespeed | Substitute
~Crunch | Thunder Fang | Overheat | Reversal

Howling Arcanine with Sub Salac 'Versal potential, depending on how you want to make of him. You can also use Life Orb with Reversal, but he'll probably kill himself after the onslaught so use it preferably as a finishing move.

Since Life Orb takes 10% HP per attack, you do not need any EVs for it since it already theoretically survives one more recoil with 321 HP as opposed to 320, which 321 is the base HP. Thus, put the remaining EVs in Defense. Also, if you're not into excess recoil then Fire Fang is an option to cover your HP a bit more.

In order to work with Substitute and/or Salac, however, you will need a minimum of 12 HP EVs for them both to hypothetically cooperate. Of course, take EVs off Attack since you'll end up boosting it anyway with Howl.

You can also use Agility and Liechi Berry in place of Howl and Salac Berry, it's your call. If you do use this instead, however, then have Crunch or Thunder Fang in Extremespeed's place. Also, just like I have implied, take the EVs off Speed with distributing for HP.

In all, Overheat prevents you from getting stalled by the likes of Skarmory, Forretress and friends.

In essence, Arcanine is still a limited Pokemon that had potential.

Charizard Michelle
01-16-2008, 03:54 AM
I am more in flavor with the first set. The second set looks like he will die after a while or before he can set up.

Still does Arcanine have any real power without depending on the power of Choice Band with only being boosted from it's own nature and be fast without a Choice Scarf? I mean it doesn't really seem to have that much power compare to other sweepers and it doesn't look like it can take a hit either even though it has a lot of HP.

Nya~

XÍnaz
01-16-2008, 04:47 AM
I think CM said it as well as you could.. Go with the Choice Band set. IMO, this is the most effective moveset:
Flare Blitz
Extreme Speed
Crunch
Thunder Fang

Extreme Speed is just awesome with a Choice Band, Flare Blitz is eff ewe see kay eye enn gee ridiculous, Crunch will put a huge dent in Cresselia, and if you get the Defense drop on the first hit you can 2HKO it. Thunder Fang is there for the obligatory Gyarados killer.

That is my favorite Arcanine set. The main reason you want to use Arcanine is for its access to Extreme Speed, incredibly high attack for a Fire Pokémon, and pretty good physical movepool.

pikachu25king
01-16-2008, 11:22 AM
I would say a physical.