PDA

View Full Version : Rap vs. Rock Thread

Tory vs Meaty II
01-23-2008, 12:14 AM
So what do you guys think of Rock, Soft Rock, Classic Rock, and the New Rock. What about the one I like? Rap, Southern, East Cost, West Cost, and the Old School, and more. I personally hate rock though. To me, it is nothing but a random non-sense of music. Should I even call it music? Metal on the other hand to me sound much better that Rock in my opinion. Feel free to also talk about other music genres with the compairness (if that is a word). :oops: Now Lets discuss about these two music genres. Everyone has a opinion about Rock and Rap. :wink:

Llama Commando
01-23-2008, 12:21 AM
I don't get how you can say rock is nonsense when compared with rap. Rap isn't even music, it's just vulgar language said really fast. Rock on the other hand, has a legacy behind it that has inspired generations and made the guitar the renowned instrument is today. Also, wouldn't this belong in the Other: Entertainment/Sports Board since that's where all the music stuff is? In conclusion: Rock pwns. Rap doesn't.

~Commando~

Tory vs Meaty II
01-23-2008, 12:25 AM
I don't get how you can say rock is nonsense when compared with rap. Rap isn't even music, it's just vulgar language said really fast. Rock on the other hand, has a legacy behind it that has inspired generations and made the guitar the renowned instrument is today. Also, wouldn't this belong in the Other: Entertainment/Sports Board since that's where all the music stuff is? In conclusion: Rock pwns. Rap doesn't.

~Commando~

Meh, same thing I was going to say. This may not be the perfect spot for this thread.

LS
01-23-2008, 12:31 AM
Rap is some guy TRYING to rhyme words. Also rap is mostly about girls sex and drugs. :l Rock on the other hand. Is just plain awesome and if you can hear the lyrics and if you're smart enough you'll know what it means.

Good Game

LS wins

Rock-1 Rap-0

spartan117
01-23-2008, 12:31 AM
I like rap the most. :biggrin: I hate metal and I like some rock songs....actually only a couple of bands and thats it.
I really havent seen much people here that like rap...

SinnoBoy1
01-23-2008, 12:33 AM
Personally, I'm a fan of Rap, I like artists spread over a variety of areas, from Chicago to Louisiana or as I call it (Lil Weezyana). I don't not have a problem with Rock but I don't usually listen to it. Unless it's Linkin Park (Duet With Jay-Z "Encore") when I get sad. It's Country Music I have the problem with.

spartan117
01-23-2008, 12:39 AM
Personally, I'm a fan of Rap, I like artists spread over a variety of areas, from Chicago to Louisiana or as I call it (Lil Weezyana). I don't not have a problem with Rock but I don't usually listen to it. Unless it's Linkin Park (Duet With Jay-Z "Encore") when I get sad. It's Country Music I have the problem with.
Ya I love that song even though its old. Numb encore wit Jay-Z and theres a remix on youtube wit Eminem, 50 Cent and Dr.Dre(i think).

Rock = 1
Rap = 2

karmachameleon
01-23-2008, 12:50 AM
I absolutely hate when people say rap isn't "music". Yes, most rap heard on the radio is terrible, but it's not trying to be something it isn't- dance music. That's all it is. Nothing more, nothing less. For some actual rap, here's a local artist I like a lot.

Bdaman (http://myspace.com/bdamantherapper)

Fire Away
01-23-2008, 12:52 AM
Rap is some guy TRYING to rhyme words. Also rap is mostly about girls sex and drugs. :l Rock on the other hand. Is just plain awesome and if you can hear the lyrics and if you're smart enough you'll know what it means.

Good Game

LS wins

Rock-1 Rap-0

Lol

I like both rap and rock, but anyone who thinks rap can't be just as powerful as rock is wrong. Tupac Shakur says hi. :/

I'm not saying that the vast majority of rap nowdays isn't crap, I'm perfectly aware it is. It can be something great when written and delivered right.

Tory vs Meaty II
01-23-2008, 12:57 AM
Rappers that I like are: Ja Rule, Jay-Z, L Cool J, 50 Cent, Lil' Wayne, T.I., Young Jeezy, Pall Wall, Slim Thug, 3 6 Mafias, Young Dro, Yung Jock, Eve, Gucci Mane, Chingy, T-Pain, Akon, Missy, Trina, R Kelly, Eminem, Chapmillionaire, Webbie, Bow Wow, Romeo, Tupac, B.I.G., Birdman, Juvenile, and many more.

Rockstars that I like are: (none). Rock falls, and fails. No really, rocks do fall. :smile:

Rock = 0
Rap = 25+

By the way my friend LS, rock also talks about girls, sex, and drugs.

Llama Commando, rap is not always about vulgar language.

When you guys think about Rap, is the only thing that come to mind about it is always negitive? =/

SinnoBoy1
01-23-2008, 12:58 AM
I agree 100%. Both Genres can sound like crap if delivered wrong but the best of that music is when it is delivered in a way that is well I don't know how to say it but you'll know when you hear it.

Orthar
01-23-2008, 01:02 AM
I like both. Rock can be really emotional, and tell a story that you have to think about. You don't really listen to it, you feel it. There is nothing better than feeling the vibe that a guitar can make live. Though, I prefer metal. :P

I like Rap too. But not that crunk **** that everyone listens to. I like hard rap. Gangster rap. Rap like DMX, Puff Daddy, Ludacris, Biggie Smalls, Tupac Shakur, ect. Rap is more straight foreward into telling you what it's about. It just combines rhythm and poetry, but they fuse into something that sounds good to a certain kind of ear.

Believe it or not, these two very different worlds were combined. A certain under ground mixer DJ Dangermouse combined The Beatles' 'The White Album' with rapper Jay-Z's 'The Black Album' to make 'The Grey Album'. You can find it on Limewire, I downloaded it and it's pretty good. Mixes well in my opinion.

Both styles of music are very different, and talk about different subjects. But, if you look hard enough there is a comparison.

Poring
01-23-2008, 01:12 AM
Rappers that I like are: Ja Rule, Jay-Z, L Cool J, 50 Cent, Lil' Wayne, T.I., Young Jeezy, Pall Wall, Slim Thug, 3 6 Mafias, Young Dro, Yung Jock, Eve, Gucci Mane, Chingy, T-Pain, Akon, Missy, Trina, R Kelly, Eminem, Chapmillionaire, Webbie, Bow Wow, Romeo, Tupac, B.I.G., Birdman, Juvenile, and many more.

Rockstars that I like are: (none). Rock falls, and fails. No really, rocks do fall. :smile:

Rock = 0
Rap = 25+

When you guys think about Rap, is the only thing that come to mind about it is always negitive? =/

When you think of rock, why is the only thing that comes to mind always negative? Honestly, you haven't even made a coherent argument yet. All you've said was that it is "nonsense", that there are no rock artists you like, and that it fails.

There are generalizations on the other side as well. Though some rap songs on the radio are just random words strung together, other songs actually have meaning. As stated already, some rock songs have just as vulgar themes as some rap songs.

As for the thread, I'm more of a rock fan. I don't hate rap, but I don't listen to it.

Llama Commando
01-23-2008, 01:14 AM

Rock = 0
Rap = 25+

When you guys think about Rap, is the only thing that come to mind about it is always negitive? =/ Usually it is negative when I think about rap. And that's because it mostly is. I agree there is some rap that is pretty cool and not vulgar, but the rest is crap. And Meaty, girls, sex, and drugs really isn't the focal point of rock. I'll admit, Motley Crue was all about that, but most isn't. Reagardless, at least most rock has rhythym , which most rap doesn't. Once again, not all rap is bad. Just the vast majority. :tongue: Led Zeppelin foreva!

Rap: 25
Rock: 40

~Commando~

Sigma_
01-23-2008, 01:32 AM
You can't prove one genre is better than the other, music is an art. There is no rubric or set of guidelines to make good art.

I don't understand how someone can dislike a whole genre of music. There has to be atleast one artist who has produced atleast one song you could enjoy.

Some of you are misguided in your judgment, especially on rap. Right now most mainstream rap is gangsta or thug. That's not the only kind of rap that exists, however. Basing your opinion on rap because of Soulja Boy is like me saying rock sucks due to Fall Out Boy. Not all mainstream stuff is bad, though. Try to develop your tastes on your own instead of what the media and other people put out to you.

I am surprised some of you people actually are open to rap. :)

Fire Away
01-23-2008, 01:44 AM
^Agreed.

TBH a lot of rap today can be enjoyed if you just take it at face value. It's obvious that most mainstream rap isn't trying to send a message or say anything with its lyrics, but I'd be lying if I said I haven't enjoyed a Souja Boy from time-to-time. It's like the new Macarena! :o

SpaceUnicorn
01-23-2008, 03:41 AM
Well it's obvious that I prefer rap. People that say rap requires no skill is completely wrong. I'd like to see them throw down a three minute freestyle rap. I just feel better listening to rap, it's great dance music.

On the other hand I love rock also, these two genres of music though you really just can't compare them.

spartan117
01-23-2008, 04:06 AM
Wow rap is winning....I am really surprised cause when I looked at the "What are you listening to right now" thread.....I was the only one that posted a rap song.

But ya like others have said both genres have their own thing. Theres things that I like about specifically rap and specifically rock.

Cucumber
01-23-2008, 07:06 PM
Well both are very talented music to create or make as of i like both.
Well rock has certain traits to it that i love.
Rock
~Guitar solos FTW!
~Bass riffs rock!
~Drum beats are cool!
I personally like rock better(Im in a band!) and i play guitar!
But i like rap as well
I man new rock is just horrid in my opinion but old school rap is teh coolnes!
~Tupac
~RunDMC
~Public enamy
There all good

!CeMAn
01-23-2008, 07:37 PM
I don't get how you can say rock is nonsense when compared with rap. Rap isn't even music, it's just vulgar language said really fast. Rock on the other hand, has a legacy behind it that has inspired generations and made the guitar the renowned instrument is today.

Rock & Roll was just a baby at one point aswell.
I'd say about 30 years of popularity constitutes Rap as music.

You can't prove one genre is better than the other, music is an art. There is no rubric or set of guidelines to make good art.

I don't understand how someone can dislike a whole genre of music. There has to be atleast one artist who has produced atleast one song you could enjoy.

Some of you are misguided in your judgment, especially on rap. Right now most mainstream rap is gangsta or thug. That's not the only kind of rap that exists, however. Basing your opinion on rap because of Soulja Boy is like me saying rock sucks due to Fall Out Boy. Not all mainstream stuff is bad, though. Try to develop your tastes on your own instead of what the media and other people put out to you.

Finally, an intelligent point.
And for the record, Fall Out Boy kicks ass :tongue2:.

For one more record: why fight about it??
It's MUSiC.
Besides, hybrid bands beat the dirty underware off both the separate counterparts.

Sigma_
01-23-2008, 08:05 PM
Rock & Roll was just a baby at one point aswell.
I'd say about 30 years of popularity constitutes Rap as music.

Finally, an intelligent point.
And for the record, Fall Out Boy kicks ass :tongue2:.

For one more record: why fight about it??
It's MUSiC.
Besides, hybrid bands beat the dirty underware off both the separate counterparts.
I was trying to use a common band some people tend to dislike, but it's all good. :cool:

death_metal_lawn_gnome
01-24-2008, 03:23 AM
i listen to death metal. it owns, thats all i have to say, oh actually, all top 40 main stream music is bastardised and lacks depth and substance. chew on it

Larvinator
01-24-2008, 03:41 AM
I generally don't like rap because the mainstream crap had given me a knee-jerk reaction to not like it. I like rap mixed in with other generes. Linkin Park is really about all the rap I can take, though, which shows how deterred I am from it.

Linkin Park owns all, btw. Just to make that clear. I've always viewed their music genere as Alternative/Rock with a bit of rap (though the old Hybrid Theory album is more heavy metal).

IT
01-24-2008, 06:36 PM
Rap and rock are practically the same genre.

For you to compare:

Mainstream music and stereotypical view

Themes: sex, drugs, alcohol, women (50 Cent, Ludacris, Jay-Z, Guns 'n' Roses, Mtley Cre, or any 80s rock band, etc.)
Motive: money (current mainstream rock/rap)
Based on: music videos, good-looking vocalists, contracts with huge publishers, managers and record labels. (current mainstream rock/rap)
Lyrics: rhymes, catchy chorus, clearly pronounced words (current mainstream rock/rap)

The only difference is in the method of saying the words (singing <-> rapping) and the instrumental part (rock uses instruments, rap relies on electronically made music.

I like both nonetheless, but I don't exactly any mainstream stuff from either genre.

!CeMAn
01-25-2008, 04:24 PM
I've been meaning to point out for the Anti- Rap'ers out there, that Hip Hop saved Rock's ass in the late 90's.
If popular bands hadn't come along(KoRn, which begat Limp Bizkit, suddenly you've got Kid Rock, Linkin Park, bands like Disturbed, Papa Roach, even Slipknot emerge, etc), adding samples, scratching and hoppy bass lines to their tracks, rock would in fact be dead. Sales were pathetic compared to what the Urban scene was pulling in, after the NWA and the Gangsta explosion. These days, most every rock or metal band incorporates hip hop sounding instrumentals, vocals and elements in general into their albums.

Don't get me wrong, i'm a MetalKid before i'm a Hopper, but i know how to give credit where credit is due. It's called seeing the whole picture-- if not just a matter of knowing your facts(:rolleyes:).

LS
01-25-2008, 04:26 PM

Rock = 0
Rap = 25+

Not every song is about that though. Only cheap lame ass bands do.

Tombi
01-25-2008, 04:36 PM
...rock would in fact be dead.

No it wouldn't. o_O

I myself despise hip hop with great intensity. Some people may be surprised that someone like me listens to Metallica and Black Sabbath but I have to say that more people I know like rock and metal more than hip hop. With rap etc there are people who hate it. All of it. But practically everyone likes at least one rock song, and, as Larvinator said,. Linkin Park has about as much rap as I can take without my head imploding and my stereo being flung out of my bedroom window.

To copy Meaty...

Rappers That I Like: Mike Shinoda. Which happens to be the rapper of LP. And, uh...

Rockers That I Like: Hmm, let's see. Metallica, Black Sabbath, Guns 'n' Roses, Dragonforce, Linkin Park, Slipknot, The Foo's, SOAD, Serj, Avenged Sevenfold, Ateryu, Bullet For My Valentine, Sum 41, AFI, Red Hot Chili's, Disturbed, Dope, 30 Seconds to Mars, Iron Maiden, Lostprophets, Inme, The Killers, Funeral For a Friend, Paramore, Slayer, Machine Head... the list goes on, dearies. I can't list them all, I'll be here the rest of my life.

I get along better with people who like rock. Many people that I know who like rap and hip hop are generally chavs who go around effing and blinding and have no hope in life whatsoever.

So yes. My deed is done. xD

EDIT: Oh, and I also despise Fall Out Boy. ;P

pikahero2
01-25-2008, 04:44 PM
Eh.. Rock Phails, Rap Prephails, Simple, eh?

Rappers that I like: Akon, 50cent, Soulja Boy (F**kin Best Rapper Ever!!), and pretty much all of them, TUPAC SHAKER, THE GOD OF RAP.

LS
01-25-2008, 05:07 PM
Eh.. Rock Phails, Rap Prephails, Simple, eh?

Rappers that I like: Akon, 50cent, Soulja Boy (F**kin Best Rapper Ever!!), and pretty much all of them, TUPAC SHAKER, THE GOD OF RAP.

Um.. Have you listened to any REAL rock music?

NinjaDuelist
01-25-2008, 05:33 PM
Christian Rock is what I listen to the most. I hate rap with a passion.

TheEvilDookie
01-25-2008, 06:17 PM
I do not enjoy listening to music in which I can not interpret the lyrics. [I'm reffering to rap, for the slower ones out there]

General Dunsparce
01-25-2008, 06:49 PM
Im rock all the way

pikahero2
01-25-2008, 06:50 PM
Um.. Have you listened to any REAL rock music?

Yes, I don't like it.

I've listened to Greenday, Kaiser Chiefs, Chilli Peppers and more.

Phantasm.Angel
01-25-2008, 07:17 PM
I don't even know the lyrics in rap most of the time. Rock.

spartan117
01-25-2008, 09:18 PM
I do not enjoy listening to music in which I can not interpret the lyrics. [I'm reffering to rap, for the slower ones out there]

I don't even know the lyrics in rap most of the time. Rock.

Do you guys even try to interpet the lyrics?

If were going that way then I dont like metal cause I cant understand the lyrics. all they do is like scream mad loud. I dont even know if they actually have any lyrics.

Rap on the other hand you can understand lyrics if you listen to the song more than once. I even memorize most songs.

Llama Commando
01-25-2008, 09:22 PM

If were going that way then I dont like metal cause I cant understand the lyrics. all they do is like scream mad loud. I dont even know if they actually have any lyrics.

Rap on the other hand you can understand lyrics if you listen to the song more than once. I even memorize most songs. Well, if you listen to metal songs more than once you could figure out the lyrics too. :/ Look at Black Sabbath. They are the kings of Metal, the Metal gods. You could understand pretty much every word in any of their songs. Given, most current Metal is screaming, but Rap isn't much better. They're not yelling, but they're talking so fast and the words jumble together so much that it's very hard to figure out wjat is being said. Granted, this whole thread is about the word 'mostly', and this post is an exception, both in points about Rap and Rock.

~Commando~

spartan117
01-25-2008, 09:27 PM
Well, if you listen to metal songs more than once you could figure out the lyrics too. :/ Look at Black Sabbath. They are the kings of Metal, the Metal gods. You could understand pretty much every word in any of their songs. Given, most current Metal is screaming, but Rap isn't much better. They're not yelling, but they're talking so fast and the words jumble together so much that it's very hard to figure out wjat is being said. Granted, this whole thread is about the word 'mostly', and this post is an exception, both in points about Rap and Rock.

~Commando~
Yes but not all rappers talk that fast. And I understand most of the fast talking. And if you dont then just google the lyrics.

Mitsuzo-kun
01-25-2008, 09:41 PM

Rap on the other hand you can understand lyrics if you listen to the song more than once. I even memorize most songs.I'm sorry, but I can't let this go unnoticed. That's so wrong to stereotype all rock music and rock singers the same. Not all rock music is screamo. Heck, I listen to loads of rock music but hate screamo. So don't just judge something based on one example. >_>

Yes but not all rappers talk that fast. And I understand most of the fast talking. And if you dont then just google the lyrics.But that's the whole point of rap music. Fast paced catchy lyrics.

And if you can't tell, I like rock more.

Tory vs Meaty II
01-25-2008, 09:46 PM
But that's the whole point of rap music. Fast paced catchy lyrics.

Who the heck told you that?

Clutch
01-25-2008, 09:48 PM
I personally like both genres. Yes, both have music that's considered "mindless-nonsense", and sure, some of it is. But, it's an opinionated battle every time an argument like this comes up, so there's not a point in arguing.

Mitsuzo-kun
01-25-2008, 09:48 PM
Who the heck told you that?The rappers who produce the songs?

TheEvilDookie
01-25-2008, 09:50 PM

Rap on the other hand you can understand lyrics if you listen to the song more than once. I even memorize most songs.

Of course I do. I rerun it like 10 times and can never understand what in the world they're saying. Also, you're getting metal mixed up with screamo. Two completely different things.

ZiVixx
01-25-2008, 09:58 PM
Rap is retards attempting poety...Rock has reason, love, hate, death...It's all so great.

Llama Commando
01-25-2008, 10:12 PM
Yes but not all rappers talk that fast. And I understand most of the fast talking. And if you dont then just google the lyrics. Most rappers do talk that fast, any why Google the lyrics just for Rap? If you were listening to Rock you could look up the lyrics if it wasn't understandable. Plus, you're getting Metal mixed up with Screamo as many have said. Metal = pwnsomeness. Screamo = crap.

~Commando~

spartan117
01-25-2008, 10:25 PM
Rap is retards attempting poety...Rock has reason, love, hate, death...It's all so great.
I think you're a rertard for just saying that. I bet you couldbt even come up with better rhymes.
Also rap has reason too. Not all songs are about money,girls,cars. A lot of songs have lessons to them. You should listen to some rap songs before making that judgement.

Nick_Man1234
01-25-2008, 10:39 PM
for those of You who thunk rap is a peace of sh!t and songs don't have Meanings:

[Hook - 2x]
Life is a struggle and pain, I can't see the
Sunny days 'fore the rain, G-O-D please
Help me to maintain, because I don't
Wanna die, if I'm living in vein

[Cl'Che]
Sometimes I just wanna scream
But I know, G-O-D will make it right for me
When I feel like I can't take no more, of these rugged streets
I let him take over, now my mind is free from worries
So many negatives, I can't fall
Got my cheese, and Pac's are posted on my wall
If I make any more mistakes, I can now learn from em all
Cause I'm grown now I found him, so you know I'm strong now
I write my songs, with plenty of pride
For my people, that done burned for years and died
Don't you wanna grow over your child, so you can know who you are
Instead of putting the world on pause, just to drive that fancy car
Hey boy, I want you to feel me now
Cl'Che know you got it pain, won't love you anyhow
Need you to help that little sister you know, build some esteem
You wanna know what's on her mind, and not in her jeans
Let's make this world a better place, for the living
Let's make our minds a better place, for thinking and listening
My people, let's try to make a change
Cause I don't wanna die, if I'm living in vein

[Hook - 2x]

[Z-Ro]
Even with God in my life, it's still hard in my life
Motherfuckers call it so close, to be fraud in my life
And I can't understand, Z-Ro ain't doing no wrong
That's probably why they be ******* with me, thinking I'm all song
But it's all gravy you wanna hate me, then go on hate me
Cause I've been looking for reasons, to take it off safety
And a ************ don't make me for me, lay me feeling on me
Like nobody don't really want me, the pressure creeping up on me
I wonder what happy is, cause I've never known it
People I meet ain't partnas, they potential opponents
Cloudy days, and the place I come from running from cops
Put it down in the alley way, when they pass I'm busting some shots
Sorry God, I know I ain't got no business selling dope and tripping God
Show me some inspiration, when you see me slipping God
Cause when I die, I don't want it to be in vein
I'd rather serve in heaven, won't be in the Penn in the flame

[Hook - 2x]

[Cl'Che]
Know you can go anywhere you wanna go
You can be, anything you wanna be
You can see, anything you wanna see
If you keep G-O-D, first everyday
And it hurts, the daily living while you flipping
Through your hood, with your partnas kicking
Click tripping, don't know why he had a short living
You don't know, yeah you know
He ain't the first, oh how the truth hurts

[Z-Ro]
So I'ma go, where I wanna go
And if I'm pressing for a fo', that's what I'm gonna blow
Long as my bills paid and my rent paid, it's all gravy
Cause when I was on this, ain't nan one of my people saved me
Life is a struggle and a pain, but I'm maintaining
I pray I won't get found naked, with my brains hanging
Too many niggaz, trying to get me for my paper stack
So I'ma be bout a playa, now where the haters at

[Hook - 2x]

Life is a struggle and pain- Z-ro (http://youtube.com/watch?v=qzCukSf-TwM)
that and:

When I was younger and my mama had beef
Seventeen years old kicked out on the streets
Though back at the time, I never thought I'd see her face
Ain't a woman alive that could take my mama's place
Suspended from school; and scared to go home, I was a fool
with the big boys, breakin all the rules
I shed tears with my baby sister
Over the years we was poorer than the other little kids
And even though we had different daddy's, the same drama
When things went wrong we'd blame mama
I reminice on the stress I caused, it was hell
Huggin on my mama from a jail cell
And who'd think in elementary?
Heeey! I see the penitentiary, one day
And runnin from the police, that's right
Mama catch me, put a whoopin to my backside
And even as a crack fiend, mama
You always was a black queen, mama
I finally understand
for a woman it ain't easy tryin to raise a man
You always was committed
A poor single mother on welfare, tell me how ya did it
There's no way I can pay you back
But the plan is to show you that I understand
You are appreciated

[Chorus: Reggie Green & "Sweet Franklin" w/ 2Pac]

Lady...
Don't cha know we love ya? Sweet lady
Dear mama
Place no one above ya, sweet lady
You are appreciated
Don't cha know we love ya?

[second and third chorus, "And dear mama" instead of "Dear mama"]

[Verse Two: 2Pac]

Now ain't nobody tell us it was fair
No love from my daddy cause the coward wasn't there
He passed away and I didn't cry, cause my anger
wouldn't let me feel for a stranger
They say I'm wrong and I'm heartless, but all along
I was lookin for a father he was gone
I hung around with the Thugs, and even though they sold drugs
They showed a young brother love
[Dear Mamma lyrics on http://www.metrolyrics.com]

I moved out and started really hangin
I needed money of my own so I started slangin
I ain't guilty cause, even though I sell rocks
It feels good puttin money in your mailbox
I love payin rent when the rent's due
I hope ya got the diamond necklace that I sent to you
Cause when I was low you was there for me
And never left me alone because you cared for me
And I could see you comin home after work late
You're in the kitchen tryin to fix us a hot plate
Ya just workin with the scraps you was given
And mama made miracles every Thanksgivin
But now the road got rough, you're alone
You're tryin to raise two bad kids on your own
And there's no way I can pay you back
But my plan is to show you that I understand
You are appreciated

[Chorus]

[Verse Three: 2Pac]

Pour out some liquor and I reminsce, cause through the drama
I can always depend on my mama
And when it seems that I'm hopeless
You say the words that can get me back in focus
When I was sick as a little kid
To keep me happy there's no limit to the things you did
And all my childhood memories
Are full of all the sweet things you did for me
And even though I act craaazy
I gotta thank the Lord that you made me
There are no words that can express how I feel
You never kept a secret, always stayed real
And I appreciate, how you raised me
And all the extra love that you gave me
I wish I could take the pain away
If you can make it through the night there's a brighter day
Everything will be alright if ya hold on
It's a struggle everyday, gotta roll on
And there's no way I can pay you back
But my plan is to show you that I understand
You are appreciated

[Chorus]

Sweet lady
And dear mama

Dear mama
Lady [3X]

Dear Momma-Tupac (http://youtube.com/watch?v=JNcloTmvTeA)

Llama Commando
01-25-2008, 10:42 PM
However, those still have to do with crime and have vulgar language. Plus, it's probably very fast. It does have an okay point, but two songs can't justify an entire genre. Most songs aren't like those, although I do admit some Rap is okay.

-CL-

Nick_Man1234
01-25-2008, 10:52 PM
However, those still have to do with crime and have vulgar language. Plus, it's probably very fast. It does have an okay point, but two songs can't justify an entire genre. Most songs aren't like those, although I do admit some Rap is okay.

~Commando~

oh theres more i just don't have enough time to find others, plus why find others Z-ro and 2pac are the sh!t and those examples are the best ones i rember.

Llama Commando
01-25-2008, 10:55 PM
oh theres more i just don't have enough time. Well obviously there are more! I mean, there are more good rap songs than that but still, posting 100 can't turn me away from the fact that most rap is vulgar, offensive, and un-appealing.

-CL-

Nick_Man1234
01-25-2008, 11:08 PM
Well obviously there are more! I mean, there are more good rap songs than that but still, posting 100 can't turn me away from the fact that most rap is vulgar, offensive, and un-appealing.

-CL-um alot of rock i hear has vulgar too but not as much as rap...

TheEvilDookie
01-25-2008, 11:22 PM
um alot of rock i hear has vulgar too but not as much as rap...

That's usually just one kind of rock, mostly metal. Also, with rock, you use real music. Rap is just lyrics and fake sounds.

pikachufan25
01-26-2008, 01:29 AM
That's usually just one kind of rock, mostly metal. Also, with rock, you use real music. Rap is just lyrics and fake sounds.

Dookie is right, I would say rock is better, I can usually understand what their saying, and my favorite band(gonna take some heat for this probably) is fall out boy, although some rap is better than others.

Shozuka
01-26-2008, 01:33 AM
I'd say that they are equal, because rap still has a feel to it and a spark to it, but rock sounds awesome. xD

spartan117
01-26-2008, 03:21 AM
Dookie is right, I would say rock is better, I can usually understand what their saying, and my favorite band(gonna take some heat for this probably) is fall out boy, although some rap is better than others.
I like fall out boy too. They curse too I think but Im not sure.
A lot of rock has vulger language too.

Caecity
01-26-2008, 03:32 AM
No lie, meh don't like Rock. I like Rap, but not Rock. I'm not going to go diss on it, because some Rock is actually good. And not all Rap is fast that is sterotyping it, can't even spell right today. Even when they're rapping fast I can understand the lyrics, mainly because I listen to it all the time but yep. I mean most people have their own opinion, somebody says Rock sucks, another person going to come up and say Raps sucks. I don't really see where this is going but, I just wanted to state something :D. BTW How can sound be fake, don't you mean non intrumental sound, because I truly don't think sound can be fake, but whatever.

MaskedJackal
01-26-2008, 12:02 PM
The mainstream for both genres is trash. You can't rely on the radio and MTV to find good music. You have to look elsewhere.

Siris Avrage
07-24-2008, 03:10 PM
Rock...I'm not much of a rap fan..infact thanks to everyone at school i can say i quite hate it...we bug the Rap fanboys by saying
can't spell Crap without Rap!
one guy tried to fight us, though everyone at school underestimates you...
anyway with bands like Mudvayne, KoRn, Matallica, Pink Flloyd,(not a band -->) Led Zepllin ,Guns and Roses, etc (Pardon my spelling..) plus its harder to play a guitar than it is to just talk really fast...and thats all rap is to me, the only GOOD rap song is Stronger...

MaskedJackal
07-24-2008, 03:43 PM
Rock...I'm not much of a rap fan..infact thanks to everyone at school i can say i quite hate it...we bug the Rap fanboys by saying
can't spell Crap without Rap!
one guy tried to fight us, though everyone at school underestimates you...
anyway with bands like Mudvayne, KoRn, Matallica, Pink Flloyd,(not a band -->) Led Zepllin ,Guns and Roses, etc (Pardon my spelling..) plus its harder to play a guitar than it is to just talk really fast...and thats all rap is to me, the only GOOD rap song is Stronger...

Mudvayne and Korn are terrible, and make music for angsty teens.

Most true metal doesn't have a lot of swearing. Take a look. This one's about people's inability to understand metal. =)

A condemning fear strikes down
Things they cannot understand
An excuse to cover up weaknesses that lie within
Lies
Laying your guilt and pain
On people that had no part in the molding of a life
That creates its destruction
Lies
Right before your very eyes
A reflection of the mistakes
To the end you will deny
Your part in the demise of a life
Lack of comprehension
Thriving on your cliche
Compelled by self-resentment

[Solo: Schuldiner]

Reaching into the minds of those that created
The depression in which they
In which they drowned their flesh and blood
Lies
So easy to blame the
Everlasting fear on a pathetic attempt
To justify the ending of life
Lies
Right before your very eyes
A reflection of the mistakes
To the end you will deny
Your part in the demise of a life
Lack of comprehension
Thriving on your cliche
Compelled by self-resentment

MustangGT
07-27-2008, 02:23 AM
I'm gonna go down to basics. What do men write songs about...Women.

Drugs, Sex, and Women.

It all comes down to how you package this. Sing it, and back it with Guitars and Drums, that's good. Throw a syntesizer with a predetermined beat and then have little to no innuendo with some (imo) bad "vocals" and that's bad.

Apocrypha
07-27-2008, 02:53 AM
Rock has actual instruments and meaning. Lead guitar, rhythm guitar, bass guitar, drums, and vocals are in almost every Rock song, and most other good forms of music use these instruments(country: guitar and drums with fiddles; metal: simmilar to Rock, except louder; ect.). Rap is one of the few that doesn't follow this format. Rap only uses drum beats, computers, and nonsensical vocals. Only people from the hood can understand what the **** these guys are saying. 90% of the time it's about raping women, killing people, smoking drugs, stealing crap, running from the police, and talking about the money they made from selling drugs. Granted, I do respect some of the Artists(Usher, for instance, although I consider him R&B). If Rap can actually promote something good for the black community, instead of promoting rape violence and drugs, then I might give a rat's ass and listen to it. R&B: Good. Rap: Bad. My music teacher says: Take the C out of Crap and you get Rap. If a white person wears baggy clothes, robs people, and speaks jibberish, people call him homeless. If a black person wears baggy clothes, robs people, and speaks jibberish, he's called a rapper? Lol wut.

By the way, my dad is a club DJ. He plays Rap 6 nights a week at a local night club. He loves Rap.

Sigma_
07-27-2008, 02:59 AM
Well, music is about opinion, so you can't prove anything. Therefore the "GUITAR IS THE RULEZ! Rap sounds are inferior!!!!!!!!" and "it's always about sex, drugs, violence!" arguments don't work. Maybe people LIKE sex, drugs, and violence over and over. So let's see what is more popular on Myspace.

Top major label artists for Saturday, Jul 26, 2008

1. Lil Wayne (Rap)
2. Akon (Hip Hop)
3. T.I. (Hip Hop)
4. Katy Perry (Pop)
5. Plies (Hip Hop)
6. Chris Brown (R&B)
7. T Pain (R&B)
8. Shwayze (Rap)
9. Miley Cyrus (Pop)
10. Rihanna (Pop)

I see no Rock, while Rap is up there. :crackup: :crackup: Also, other genres similar to Rap appear multiple times. (Hip Hop and R&B). Looks like more people like rap, too bad to rock fans. I personally don't confine myself to silly genres.

Soda
07-27-2008, 03:14 AM
Well, music is about opinion, so you can't prove anything. Therefore the "GUITAR IS THE RULEZ! Rap sounds are inferior!!!!!!!!" and "it's always about sex, drugs, violence!" arguments don't work. Maybe people LIKE sex, drugs, and violence over and over. So let's see what is more popular on Myspace.

1. Lil Wayne (Rap)
2. Akon (Hip Hop)
3. T.I. (Hip Hop)
4. Katy Perry (Pop)
5. Plies (Hip Hop)
6. Chris Brown (R&B)
7. T Pain (R&B)
8. Shwayze (Rap)
9. Miley Cyrus (Pop)
10. Rihanna (Pop)

I see no Rock, while Rap is up there. :crackup: :crackup: Also, other genres similar to Rap appear multiple times. (Hip Hop and R&B). Looks like more people like rap, too bad to rock fans. I personally don't confine myself to silly genres.

I think you mixed Lil Wayne and Rihanna up, I forgive you though =3
[And Akon as #2? Shwayze, T.I aren't really deserving imo]

I think a lot of Rock is stupid now, I only like stuff like Hard Rock like Three Days Grace, and Punk, the rest sucks =/

Rap is awesome, so is Rock, it depends on the Artist of course, I can't really choose between the two, but if it was Hip Hop against, hip hop ftw.

Like I always say, anythings better than Country :3

Apocrypha
07-27-2008, 03:20 AM

1. Lil Wayne (Rap)
2. Akon (Hip Hop)
3. T.I. (Hip Hop)
4. Katy Perry (Pop)
5. Plies (Hip Hop)
6. Chris Brown (R&B)
7. T Pain (R&B)
8. Shwayze (Rap)
9. Miley Cyrus (Pop)
10. Rihanna (Pop)

That's cause people with a real life listen to rap. Myspace is a tepid cesspool of internet filth, full of 16 year old girls who think anyone wants to take an intrest in their pathetic lives. Hip Hop I think is actually worse than rap. Also, dongs.

Sigma_
07-27-2008, 03:34 AM
I think you mixed Lil Wayne and Rihanna up, I forgive you though =3
[And Akon as #2? Shwayze, T.I aren't really deserving imo]

I think a lot of Rock is stupid now, I only like stuff like Hard Rock like Three Days Grace, and Punk, the rest sucks =/

Rap is awesome, so is Rock, it depends on the Artist of course, I can't really choose between the two, but if it was Hip Hop against, hip hop ftw.

Like I always say, anythings better than Country :3

Haha, thanks for forgiving me. :biggrin:

That's cause people with a real life listen to rap. Myspace is a tepid cesspool of internet filth, full of 16 year old girls who think anyone wants to take an intrest in their pathetic lives. Hip Hop I think is actually worse than rap. Also, dongs.
Cool.

Kendo
07-27-2008, 03:56 AM
Rock is okay, but I don't like rap. It's just people talking, big whoop. People talk in movies, plays, etc., and plus they usually talk so fast you can hardly understand what they're saying. Rock makes a bit more sense, and it's actually nice to listen to once in a while.

It's just IMO, don't flame me!

Shadow Eevee
07-27-2008, 04:25 AM
Rock is okay, but I don't like rap. It's just people talking, big whoop. People talk in movies, plays, etc., and plus they usually talk so fast you can hardly understand what they're saying. Rock makes a bit more sense, and it's actually nice to listen to once in a while.

It's just IMO, don't flame me!

It couldn't have been said any better. Rap is mostly fast talking, rhyming and some catchy music video, where as rock is sorta enjoyable to listen to, and is catchier when they don't try to be catchy- at Camp, they had Rock Band, and I had a headache, but that was more pleasant to listen to then people going through their ring tones playing Soulja Boy, or lollipop.

Poring
07-27-2008, 04:30 AM
Twista was pretty popular and he talked about some pretty deep stuff.

Copypasta:

(Twista talking)
Man, I know we had a lot of tragedies lately.
I just wanna say rest in peace to Aaliyah,
Rest in peace to Left Eye,
Rest in peace to Jam Master Jay,
And everybody lost in the Twin Towers,
And everybody lost period.
All we got is HOPE!!

VERSE 1 (Twista)
I wish the way I was living could stop, serving rocks,
Knowing the cops is hot when I'm on the block, And I
Wish my brother woulda made bail,
So I won't have to travel 6 hours to see him in jail, And I
Wish that my grandmother wasn't sick,
Or that we would just come up on some stacks and hit a lick, And I (I wish)
Wish my homies wouldn't have to suffer,
When the streets get the upper had on us and we lose a brother, And I
Wish I could go deep in a zone,
And lift the spirits of the world with the words with in this song, And I (I wish)
Wish I could teach a could teach a soul to fly,
Take away the pain out cha hands and help you hold them hi, And I
Wish God never gave the men power
To be able to hurt the people inside the Twin Towers, And I (I wish)
Wish God woulda turned they hearts righteous,
When they started to take innocent lives and become snipers, But uh
We will never break, though they devistate, we shall motivate,
And we gotta pray, all we got is faith.
Instead of thinking about who gonna die to day,
The Lord is gonna help you feel better, so you ain't gotta cry today.
Sit at the light so long,
And then we gotta move straight forward, cuz we fight so strong,
So when right go wrong,
Just say a little prayer, get ya money man, life go on!!!
Let's HOPE!

CHORUS (Cee-Lo)
Cuz I'm hopeful, yes I am, hopeful for today,
Take this music and use it
Let it take you away,
And be hopeful (hopeful) and he'll make a way
I know it ain't easy but that's okay.
Let's be hopeful!

VERSE 2 (Twista)
I wish that you could show some love,
Instead of hatin so much when you see some other people commin up (I wish)
I wish I could teach the world to sing,
Watch the music and have €˜em trippin of the joy I bring, (shiit)
I wish that we could hold hands,
Listen instead of dissin lessons from a grown man, And I (I wish)
Wish the families that lack, but got love, get some stacks
Brand new shack and a lack that's on dubs, And I
Wish we could keep achieving wonders,
See the vision of the world through the eyes of Stevie Wonder, (you feel me) (I wish)
And I hope all the kids eat,
And don't nobody in my family see six feet, (ya dig)
I hope them mothers stain' strong,
You can make it whether you wit him or your mans gone, And I (I wish)
Wish I could give every celly some commissary,
And the po po bring the heat on them priest like they did R. Kelly, And I
Wish that DOC could scream again
And bullets could reverse so Pac and Biggie breath again, (****) (I wish)
Then one day they could speak again,
I wish that we only saw good news every time we look at CNN,
I wish that enemies could talk,
And that super homie Christopher Reeves could still walk, (I wish)
I wish that we could walk a path, stay doin the right thing
Hustle hard so the kids maintain up in the game,
Let's HOPE

CHORUS (Cee-Lo)
Let it take you away,
Let's be hopeful!

VERSE 3 (Twista)
Wish the earth wasn't so apocalyptic,
I try to spread my message to the world the best way I can give it,
We can make it always so optimistic,
If you don't listen gotta live my life the best way I can live it,
I pray for justice when we go to court,
Wish it was all good so the country wouldn't have to go to war,
Why can't we kick it and just get em on,
And in the famous words of Mr. King €œWhy can't we all just get along€?,
Or we can find a better way to shop and please, And I
Hope we find a better way to cop a keys, And I
Wish everybody would just stop and freeze,
And ask way are we fulfillin these downfalls and prophecies,
You can be wrong if it's you doubting,
With the faith of a mustard seed you can move mountains,
And only the heavenly father and ease the hurt,
Just let it go and keep prayin on your knees in church!!
And let's HOPE

CHORUS (Cee-Lo) X 2
Let it take you away,
Let's be hopeful!

(BACKGROUND)
na-na-na-na-na-na-naaaa-naaa
na-na-na-na-na-na
na-na-na-na-na-na
na-na-na-na-na-na
na-na-na-na-na-na

End copypasta.

It couldn't have been said any better. Rap is mostly fast talking, rhyming and some catchy music video, where as rock is sorta enjoyable to listen to, and is catchier when they don't try to be catchy- at Camp, they had Rock Band, and I had a headache, but that was more pleasant to listen to then people going through their ring tones playing Soulja Boy, or lollipop.

What you hear on the radio =/= all music of that genre. Lil' Wayne gives me a headache too, but he's not the only rapper in existence. I don't listen to much rap either, but the "sex, drugs, violence" card is played way too often. By the way, some rap songs have a guitar in the background, like the big one I just copy-pasted.

Shadow Eevee
07-27-2008, 04:43 AM
What you hear on the radio =/= all music of that genre. Lil' Wayne gives me a headache too, but he's not the only rapper in existence. I don't listen to much rap either, but the "sex, drugs, violence" card is played way too often. By the way, some rap songs have a guitar in the background, like the big one I just copy-pasted.

Well, considering how much radio time he gets, he might as well be. :\

Also, the bad Rap music*(if you could call it that) outnumbers the decent rappers, so I don't really spend my time looking for the jewels.

*= Soulja Boy, Lil 'Wayne, and pretty much everything else in that category.

Soda
07-27-2008, 05:40 AM
Well, considering how much radio time he gets, he might as well be. :\

Also, the bad Rap music*(if you could call it that) outnumbers the decent rappers, so I don't really spend my time looking for the jewels.

*= Soulja Boy, Lil 'Wayne, and pretty much everything else in that category.

Soulja Boy isn't a rapper, he just got lucky, he's not big anymore, he was one of those people who only lasts a few months, but you can't put him and Lil Wayne in the same category, Lil Wayne set a record for the most albums sold in 3 years, over a million, Soulja Boy couldn't set a record if he tried..If he made a new album he couldn't even get best comeback trophy on a Pokemon Forum!

Lord Fedora
07-27-2008, 07:11 AM
I'm a rocker through and through.

Raine
07-27-2008, 09:02 AM
I prefer rock because it actually requires talent. There are complex song arrangements when compared to a simple rap beat, rap vocals, and extremely crappy rap lyrics.

Also note that I typically hate modern mainstream rock with a passion.

Synester
07-27-2008, 09:28 AM
Rap is retards attempting poety...Rock has reason, love, hate, death...It's all so great. ^ World most ignorant statment about Rap -_-. I don't know if you know this but rap has all of those too -_-, listen to the lyrics of a Jay-Z or a Tupac song. Not some *** rapper like Soulja Boy or Plies -_-.

I'm sorry, but I can't let this go unnoticed. That's so wrong to stereotype all rock music and rock singers the same. Not all rock music is screamo. Heck, I listen to loads of rock music but hate screamo. So don't just judge something based on one example. >_>

But that's the whole point of rap music. Fast paced catchy lyrics.

And if you can't tell, I like rock more. Lupe Fiasco. gg.

@Raine-Oh yes, because it takes no talent what so ever to throw down a 3-4 minutes freestyle =/ gg.

Demon_Shiron
07-27-2008, 09:17 PM
Eh, I like both rock and rap, but not the bs rap you hear on the radio. I'm into underground stuff. Ill Bill, Tech N9ne, ICP, Twiztid, Prozak, Kottonmouth Kings, Kutt Kalhoun, and the list goes on. I also like old school stuff, cuz it's more real. Nowadays, rappers are talking about stuff they ain't even got, but back in the day, it was mostly about the rapper's life story or problems they had. Today, it's just crap.

Teo
07-27-2008, 09:27 PM
I prefer rap over rock. Due to the fact there aren't many Rock songs that I like. I don't listen to any mainstream rap either. I just think that stuff is rather dumb and kind of does ruin a lot of it for me. xD I do enjoy a lot of old school rap though.

Also
07-27-2008, 11:22 PM
I think Rock is better because it sounds better and it has a good beat. I used to listen to Eminem and people like that but I stopped listening to rap because it's crap.

Rage12
07-28-2008, 05:59 AM
Soulja Boy isn't a rapper, he just got lucky, he's not big anymore, he was one of those people who only lasts a few months, but you can't put him and Lil Wayne in the same category, Lil Wayne set a record for the most albums sold in 3 years, over a million, Soulja Boy couldn't set a record if he tried..If he made a new album he couldn't even get best comeback trophy on a Pokemon Forum!

Anybody could sell lots of records, that doesn't make that rapper great. Lupe Fiasco is a great rapper, but can't get past Gold. He actually raps about important stuff, and not cars and women. At least not like most rappers do.

Besides Lupe Fiasco, there's not much else to listen to. Though I wouldn't side with either. I'll just listen to a song I like, though most of them come from Lupe Fiasco.

George Jefferson
07-28-2008, 06:32 AM
... For ****'s sake, I was going to vote for Rock, but a lot of our soldiers are dying out here with their Fall Out Boys, and their Linkin Parks.

Jesus ******* Christ, I'm going to side with the rappers this time around. (You 'fans of teh rock' fail.)

CHIMCHAR13
07-29-2008, 01:30 AM
Alright, I've loved all types of rap for years. To me Rap seems better than rock, rap songs have better beat than rock songs, rock songs is just a guy with long hair(usually) mindlessly screaming while a guitar is in the background making noise. At least Rap sounds more civilized. Oh and some people say that there's cussing in rap music, deal with it everybody at school cusses you guys probably cuss too( don't lie! you know you cuss sometimes). Also, many people consider rock to be music of the devil and I think this opinion is bs, but some rock songs usually heavy metal do have themes such as a music video i recently saw(inside the fire-disturbed) I was actually disturbed at the song.

Oh yes and one more thing...about 60% of the people at my school are black, that's probably why I like rap more, the only people that liek rock at my school are the skaters, emos's, and punks(lol the white people) and they're all wannabes.

George Jefferson
07-29-2008, 03:34 PM
Alright, I've loved all types of rap for years. To me Rap seems better than rock, rap songs have better beat than rock songs, rock songs is just a guy with long hair(usually) mindlessly screaming while a guitar is in the background making noise. At least Rap sounds more civilized. Oh and some people say that there's cussing in rap music, deal with it everybody at school cusses you guys probably cuss too( don't lie! you know you cuss sometimes). Also, many people consider rock to be music of the devil and I think this opinion is bs, but some rock songs usually heavy metal do have themes such as a music video i recently saw(inside the fire-disturbed) I was actually disturbed at the song.

Oh yes and one more thing...about 60% of the people at my school are black, that's probably why I like rap more, the only people that liek rock at my school are the skaters, emos's, and punks(lol the white people) and they're all wannabes.

lol stupid stereotypes.

I wish people would accept all forms of music instead of bashing it.

This thread is pointless.

Blast the Stereo
07-29-2008, 05:21 PM
@ CHIMCHAR13 - You epicly fail at debating. Go take your lame, stereotyping ass somewhere else, mmk? [/rant]

@ Kenneth - Um, you COMPLETELY contridicted yourself. Look at how much you just bashed rock music.

@ Skullz - But how much 3-4 minute freestyling do you hear on cd's, radios and such? gg.

I'm very baised on this subject, so please forgive me.

But this is the way I see it:

Rock: People actually playing instruments and singing.

Rap: People talking into microphones really fast to digitally-created beats.

Which one sounds more like music?

Ok, I'm done. Let the flames begin! [Hey, that's a Paramore song. ;D]

Spectacular14
07-29-2008, 05:51 PM
I peronally think that Rap is music also if it wasn't it wouldn't be played on the radio. And as for Rock music I like some bands but not all, and I can name more rap stars then I can rock stars.

Fav Rap Stars: Yung Joc-Yung Jeezy-Lil Wayne-B.I.G- Eve-Ice Cube-Bow Wow-Romeo-50 Cent-Ludacris-Shareefa-Akon-Pharell-Kanye West-T Pain-Bone Thugs And Harmony-Hurricane Chris-R Kelly-D4L-Pit Bull and a whole lot more.:cool:

George Jefferson
07-29-2008, 09:33 PM
[CENTER][FONT="Century Gothic"]@ Kenneth - Um, you COMPLETELY contridicted yourself. Look at how much you just bashed rock music.

Show me where I contradicted myself.

Sigma_
07-29-2008, 10:05 PM

How can one be more than the other. It either is or not.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/music

iReign
07-29-2008, 10:25 PM
Mhm. All I see is flames. But, I do have some points to make.

1.) No one can say a genre is crap.
2.) If you think Lil Wayne sucks, then good for you, I personally like him.
3.) This arguement will never be quelled.
4.)Soulja Boy fails.

5.)You can't account one rapper(Soulja Boy) for the whole genre. "The bad rappers outnumber the good ones" Um, no. How much Rap do you listen to? There are plenty of rappers other than Lupe Fiasco that talk about decent stuff. Lupe tells you stories(not lies, but you know) Others like Lil Wayne rap about other stuff. It's a fact that Lupe isn't from the hood, but Lil Wayne is. That also would differ lyrics. Lil Wayne doesn't come right out and say things, he uses metaphors. A lot of stuff may not make sense until like the third time you hear it.

I could be in the ocean, swimming with the pigeons, or I could be in the sky, flying with the fishes.

Translation: It's a mixed up world.

Just to name one. I will get flamed for this, it's a fact, but, that's just my opinion on the matter.

Hypocrisy is Fun
07-29-2008, 11:45 PM
I personally like Rock more than Rap because rap tends to sounds the same to me, but I've found rappers like Eminem interesting.

Synester
07-30-2008, 09:01 PM
@ Skullz - But how much 3-4 minute freestyling do you hear on cd's, radios and such? gg.

Rock: People actually playing instruments and singing.

Rap: People talking into microphones really fast to digitally-created beats.

Ok, I'm done. Let the flames begin! [Hey, that's a Paramore song. ;D]Well that all depends, who are you listening to? Because "rappers" like 50 Cent and Soulja Boy no longer exsist in this world =/.

Well, if thats the way you see you it, then this is how other people who like Rap instead of rock see it.

Rock - People just screaming into a mic, smashing $100 guitars for no reason =/

Rap -People talking about how hard it is in the real, no growing up rich, having to work for where they are now =). gg.

Also, not all rap beats are digitally created, one of the first few rap songs ever made, the beat was mabe just by clapping and stomping.

George Jefferson
07-30-2008, 09:44 PM
Despite my love for rock, and hatred for rap...

THERE ARE NO GREATER GENRE.

THEY ARE EQUAL IN EVERY WAY.

SO STFU.

/thread

Hippopotasjunkie
07-30-2008, 10:00 PM
ok for everyone who says rock is just guys screaming with guitar solos

and rap is rhyming about irrelevant filth

who cares!!!??? u can make anything about any thing like that this is all about opinion not flaming on the genre u dont like!!!

for instance i love baseball but its nothing cuz its just a guy who throws a ball and a guy hits it

DAMN that pisses me off!

George Jefferson
07-31-2008, 03:56 PM
ok for everyone who says rock is just guys screaming with guitar solos

and rap is rhyming about irrelevant filth

who cares!!!??? u can make anything about any thing like that this is all about opinion not flaming on the genre u dont like!!!

for instance i love baseball but its nothing cuz its just a guy who throws a ball and a guy hits it

DAMN that pisses me off!

Hey, did you see my above post?

I ended the thread with my logics, so, your post is null and void.

Again, /thread

Cucumber
07-31-2008, 08:26 PM
In my opinion I like rock more. You need more talent and music experiance for rock and rap is just bleh in my opinion. I like old rap but new rap just blew it away for me and I stopped listening.

Master_of_Munch
07-31-2008, 08:30 PM
Rap is crap. Simple as that. All you need to be a rapper is a big clock, a grille(sp?) and a book of nursery rhymes. For the most part, rock takes skill. And no, rap fans, knowing the entire "Urban Dictionary" does not equal skill.

Nitrous Oxide
07-31-2008, 08:38 PM
I personally like Rock more than Rap because rap tends to sounds the same to me, but I've found rappers like Eminem interesting.

^

Not to mention that there are many "rock" artist that deserve their own genre.

Sigma_
07-31-2008, 08:43 PM
Rock is crap. Simple as that. All you need to do for rock is play a bunch of random instruments together and scream into the microphone. For the most part, rap takes skill.

iReign
07-31-2008, 08:47 PM
Rap is crap. Simple as that. All you need to be a rapper is a big clock, a grille(sp?) and a book of nursery rhymes. For the most part, rock takes skill. And no, rap fans, knowing the entire "Urban Dictionary" does not equal skill.

I disagree completely with the bolded statement. Rappers have those things, but it doesn't mean all rappers have them. There is skill required to be a rapper. In order to even make it in the music industry as a whole; you need talent.

Holumanto
07-31-2008, 08:51 PM
Rock over Rap, simple as that.

iReign
07-31-2008, 08:58 PM
Rap = Rock. That rule is as hard as a rock.

Synester
07-31-2008, 09:08 PM
Rap is crap. Simple as that. All you need to be a rapper is a big clock, a grille(sp?) and a book of nursery rhymes. For the most part, rock takes skill. And no, rap fans, knowing the entire "Urban Dictionary" does not equal skill.Not all rappers were a big clock, and the only I can even think of that still wears his is Flava Flav [sp?] and he hardly even raps now a days. Umm, not all rappers in many wear grills. I can only think of 2, Flava Flav and Paul Wall, both who harldy rap anymore. Yeah, because a book of nursery rhymes is all it takes to rap...

@Sig- lol

MaskedJackal
07-31-2008, 09:20 PM
Twista was pretty popular and he talked about some pretty deep stuff.

Copypasta:

... and I'm sure the music was repetitive and annoying.

Master_of_Munch
07-31-2008, 09:48 PM
I disagree completely with the bolded statement. Rappers have those things, but it doesn't mean all rappers have them. There is skill required to be a rapper. In order to even make it in the music industry as a whole; you need talent.

IM sorry if I angered anyone, but Im just stating my opinion. Most rappers go through computers and/or lipsynch. It's obvious, especially through effects(echoes, overlaying voices, etc.). Not to say that there are no rappers with skill. There are a select few whose voices you actually hear, instead of the computers. I knew some, but I can't remember any at the time. And I was making a generalization, perhaps an unfair one, but accurate. And anymore, you don't always need skill to make it in the music industry. Just look at Hannah Montana. Granted, that's to be expected from Disney, but she's currently at the #2 spot for most money made on a single record, right behind Mariah Carey. Either way, there it is.

George Jefferson
08-06-2008, 03:35 PM
Despite my love for rock, and hatred for rap...

THERE ARE NO GREATER GENRE.

THEY ARE EQUAL IN EVERY WAY.

SO STFU.

/thread

/thread

Darkness_Dragon
08-06-2008, 10:52 PM
I personally dislike Rap. I like Rock for most of my life and I think most Rap songs have no point to them. Half of them I can't even understand what their trying to say. But there are some Raps songs that have a point to them and you can acuactly understand what they are saying. I really only like one Rap song but I am not a fan to like more. So I'd say Rock over Rap, for my opinion.

Larvinator
08-10-2008, 10:04 AM
Kenneth, they're not equal in every way. =| They're two completely different types of music that draw different but nonetheless very valid opinions. That alone constitutes a thread for debating their pros and cons. Quit reposting your /thread thing, it's getting annoying...

For the sake of on-topic-ness...

I think I posted WAAAAAAY earlier in this thread, but I still stand by rock. Meaningful lyrics are certainly good, but I prefer that music I listen to gets my heart racing and blows me away with the instruments. It's opinion. Unfortunately, I also have an irrational knee-jerk aversion to rap due to all the crap that's mainstream, so I may never fully like the genre. Meh.

Also, I actually like Linkin Park. They're one of my favorite bands. FOB isn't bad, either. Now watch as everyone ignores the main point of my post and attacks me for liking these two bands! =o

faceplant527
08-11-2008, 04:11 AM
rap is the best !!! nothing better than rollin up in my 97 eclipse with three 12 inch subwoofers listening to heavy bass rap songs like marco polo and alot of underground stuff :)

i like death metal too. like cradel of filth

but i hate all the dumb rock on the radio like alternative i think its called.

Buizel410
08-11-2008, 12:44 PM
Rock. All the way. Rock usually has interesting rhythms and melodies, while rap usually involves an annoying backbeat and someone just saying random words that have no meaning at all. Worse yet, there are people who like it only because it's "cool." All in all, rap has inspired a lousy fad in today's schools while rock is still way better (but jazz tops everything :biggrin: )

Go-Getters
08-11-2008, 12:52 PM
Rock = Pure ausome ness

To rap all u gotta do is speak really fast, then go steal a car...

Synester
08-12-2008, 12:44 AM
Rock. All the way. Rock usually has interesting rhythms and melodies, while rap usually involves an annoying backbeat and someone just saying random words that have no meaning at all. Worse yet, there are people who like it only because it's "cool." All in all, rap has inspired a lousy fad in today's schools while rock is still way better (but jazz tops everything :biggrin: )Alright. This statement fails about halfway through =/. Lemme give you a rap Imade up. Blue so what shy lack smile poo. Well, as you as you said rap is ust "random" words. Those were all random. What other reason are they supposed to like it for?The history of the genre? If I don't think a song is cool, that doesn't mean its bad=/. But Rap>Rock. And I'll make up my own stereotype for you. Jazz is just people people playing a sax and smashing on a drum ;D.

George Jefferson
08-12-2008, 04:10 AM
I'm tired of seeing how Rock and Rap are equally bashed because the other lacks proper skills.

Rap sucks because of the artists running it to the ground today, namely: Soulja Boi Tell'em.

Rock sucks because it is running into the ground by crap rock artists today, namely: Fall Out Boy, Linkin Park, Panic! At The Disco, and other, "memorable" bands.

Adding rock and rap together is either a hit or miss, as taken with Linkin Park and Jay-Z. Jay-Z doesn't need that kind of insult.

Levi55
08-12-2008, 04:21 AM
Rap in my opinion is really retarded and stupid all rappers do is say the same thing over over and over again its pointless rock on the other hand pwns all other music rock rocks

Deathspector
08-12-2008, 09:21 AM
I'm a little rockstar myself, but that doesn't mean rap is crap.

While I will admit that rap is a lot more about rhythm than melody, who says rhythm isn't music? Rap has just as much of a culture as rock does, if not as extensive a history. Rap can be very deep, and deals with issues that I believe need dealing with. However, the moment we come to 50 Cent and Snoop Dogg, we're leaving rap, and going into soft porn. So yes, while rap can be quite powerful, a lot of current rap artists are...well, not rappers.

Now rock is a whole different ball game. Rock has an extensive history, and has been shaped by countless legends. Now while there are a lot of different types of rock, all the way from hard rock to emocore to screamo to slow rock, in general, rock deals with more personal aspects of the musicians. The topics that rap covers can range from wars to gang rapes to prostitution. The topics rock covers tend to be more about a personal event in the lyricists life.

Maybe I'm rambling too much about lyrics, and maybe that's 'cause I'm a lyricist myself, but I just feel rock seems so much more wholesome than rap. I'm not discriminating, and I have some personal favourite rappers, but that's just what I feel.

Deathspector

Intelevision
08-12-2008, 11:14 AM
I'm a little rockstar myself, but that doesn't mean rap is crap.

While I will admit that rap is a lot more about rhythm than melody, who says rhythm isn't music? Rap has just as much of a culture as rock does, if not as extensive a history. Rap can be very deep, and deals with issues that I believe need dealing with. However, the moment we come to 50 Cent and Snoop Dogg, we're leaving rap, and going into soft porn. So yes, while rap can be quite powerful, a lot of current rap artists are...well, not rappers.

Now rock is a whole different ball game. Rock has an extensive history, and has been shaped by countless legends. Now while there are a lot of different types of rock, all the way from hard rock to emocore to screamo to slow rock, in general, rock deals with more personal aspects of the musicians. The topics that rap covers can range from wars to gang rapes to prostitution. The topics rock covers tend to be more about a personal event in the lyricists life.

Maybe I'm rambling too much about lyrics, and maybe that's 'cause I'm a lyricist myself, but I just feel rock seems so much more wholesome than rap. I'm not discriminating, and I have some personal favourite rappers, but that's just what I feel.

Deathspector

Couldn't have said it better myself. Too many people listen to "rappers" like 50 Cent, Jeezy, The Game, and all these mainstream guys, and think this is all rap is about. Shooting, smoking and getting... ahem, "it". But they don't bother to dig a little deeper, into the underground territory. There, rap is actually soulful. It's not about committing crimes. It's not about "Makin' Dat Bread". And best of all, you don't really need to look or act a certain way to do it. Everyone is excepted, and rapping to them is considered a hobby, not a career.

Anyway, rock is hard to describe, as it branches out into so many sub-genres. I mostly listen to Altern/Rock and Altern/Punk, so I can't really say anything that Deathspector hasn't already said about this style of music.

fusion376
08-12-2008, 03:30 PM
I enjoy both equally, i enjoy music.
But if i have to choose from both i would like to go with Rock.

Shadow Eevee
08-12-2008, 06:55 PM
I'm tired of seeing how Rock and Rap are equally bashed because the other lacks proper skills.

Rap sucks because of the artists running it to the ground today, namely: Soulja Boi Tell'em.

Rock sucks because it is running into the ground by crap rock artists today, namely: Fall Out Boy, Linkin Park, Panic! At The Disco, and other, "memorable" bands.

Adding rock and rap together is either a hit or miss, as taken with Linkin Park and Jay-Z. Jay-Z doesn't need that kind of insult.

Saying one good and one bad is opinion. And if you say 'It's fact they suck' then :/. Besides, I actually like PatD and Linkin Park, and FoB and PatD are emo and pop-punk, not rock.
Besides, rock is not only 3 bands, there's plenty of other artists.

ZiVixx
08-12-2008, 07:03 PM
R.A.P = Retards Attempting Poetry

I honestly can't stand anything rapper what so ever, Lil Wayne is okay. I can't stand the "I have money" Entertainment Industry.

Though Rock isn't my exact preferance, I do like it more. Has more emotion, and sounds alot better to me.

Sorry for my bland opinion, But I personally hate rap.

George Jefferson
08-12-2008, 07:05 PM
Saying one good and one bad is opinion. And if you say 'It's fact they suck' then :/. Besides, I actually like PatD and Linkin Park, and FoB and PatD are emo and pop-punk, not rock.
Besides, rock is not only 3 bands, there's plenty of other artists.

Sorry, but those are sub-genres of rock, so, your post is null and void.

faceplant527
08-13-2008, 03:46 AM
R.A.P = Retards Attempting Poetry

I honestly can't stand anything rapper what so ever, Lil Wayne is okay. I can't stand the "I have money" Entertainment Industry.

Though Rock isn't my exact preferance, I do like it more. Has more emotion, and sounds alot better to me.

Sorry for my bland opinion, But I personally hate rap.

nah breh. its sooo fresh !!! loud bass fresh shoes good clothes all goes wit rap dude. its a whole system that iam in.

Hypocrisy is Fun
08-13-2008, 03:49 AM

A sub-genre is IN a genre, making it all Rock.

gg.

Dark Turtwig
08-13-2008, 04:01 AM
Each genre has it's high points, and low points. But overally, I think rock music is much better. I mean, AC DC, Queen, so much better.

faceplant527
08-13-2008, 04:22 AM
Each genre has it's high points, and low points. But overally, I think rock music is much better. I mean, AC DC, Queen, so much better.

ewwww mudkip. ewwww old rock is terreble haha.

but anyway, if anyone here likes rap pm me. i wanna get some better music. unless you only listen to like radio stuff.

i like:
imp
mop
7l and esoteic
jr writer
project pat
3 6
aotp
outlawz

Raine
08-13-2008, 04:44 AM
@Raine-Oh yes, because it takes no talent what so ever to throw down a 3-4 minutes freestyle =/ gg.

Rap freestyles are for idiots. You get a bunch of morons who insult one another to a simple rap beat and they call it "poetry". Way to obliterate an art form.

Xtra
08-13-2008, 05:05 AM
Bah. I listen to both. And I don't understand why people are downing rap music. Culture is one of the only things people have, and the fact that they industrialized it into this world wide phenomenon is something to be extremely proud of.

MaskedJackal
08-13-2008, 08:22 PM

You pretty much hit the nail on the head.

Linkin Park is awful, and shouldn't even be considered rock.

George Jefferson
08-14-2008, 02:22 AM
ewwww mudkip. ewwww old rock is terreble haha.

Ewwwwwwww faceplant. Old rock is better than rock nowadays.

Namely, the 60s - 90s. I've been dissapointed with the 2000s portion of rock.

Deathspector
08-14-2008, 05:50 AM
Linkin Park is awful, and shouldn't even be considered rock.

Um, what?

Linkin Park is by far one of the best bands to have walked this planet. And really, people who like rap shouldn't be dissing LP, because Shinoda raps. xP

Deathspector

Raine
08-14-2008, 06:08 AM
Um, what?

Linkin Park is by far one of the best bands to have walked this planet. And really, people who like rap shouldn't be dissing LP, because Shinoda raps. xP

Deathspector

1.) I'm sure his main problem was with the music aside from the vocals.
2.) Just because someone hates rap that does not decrease the value of their opinion.
3.) Linkin Park is a mediocre project, so you know. They're not adventurous; and they abuse and overuse the few things they do take time to be unique and creative with. The riffs are lackluster and boring.

Deathspector
08-14-2008, 06:20 AM
1.) I'm sure his main problem was with the music aside from the vocals.
2.) Just because someone hates rap that does not decrease the value of their opinion.
3.) Linkin Park is a mediocre project, so you know. They're not adventurous; and they abuse and overuse the few things they do take time to be unique and creative with. The riffs are lackluster and boring.

Well, I wouldn't really consider them unadventurous, but to each his or her own.

Deathspector

Raine
08-14-2008, 06:34 AM
but to each his or her own.

That may be, but since this thread has become a sort of debate, I would like some examples suggesting how they are adventurous.

So I am clear, by adventurous I mean inventive, if you haven't figured it out.

Deathspector
08-14-2008, 07:23 AM
That may be, but since this thread has become a sort of debate, I would like some examples suggesting how they are adventurous.

Sure, why not.

Have you heard In Pieces? From Minutes to Midnight? In that, the guitar is playing a reggae-like rhythm before it goes off into it's solo. By reggae-like, I mean short repetitive chords, strummed off the beat. And what about in Nobody's Listening from Meteora? Over there they weaved a Japanese flute in a very traditional style into their music. In fact, Shinoda has even said that they centered the song around the flute. And then there are LP's instrumental sessions which are always a delight to listen to. Hahn goes wild with his sampler.

Deathspector

ReclusiveDemon
08-14-2008, 07:36 AM
From Minutes to Midnight? In that, the guitar is playing a reggae-like rhythm before it goes off into it's solo. By reggae-like, I mean short repetitive chords, strummed off the beat.
The Police did that years ago. As have countless other bands.

Fail.

And what about in Nobody's Listening from Meteora? Over there they weaved a Japanese flute in a very traditional style into their music. In fact, Shinoda has even said that they centered the song around the flute.Deathspector
THAT'D BE PRETTY AWESOME WERE IT NOT FOR THE FACT IT'S DONE QUITE COMMONLY IN MANY JAPANESE BANDS. BANDS LIKE GHOST AND BLUE BOY YOMO.

Fail.

MOAR EXAMPLZ PLZ

Raine
08-14-2008, 07:42 AM
Sure, why not.

Have you heard In Pieces? From Minutes to Midnight? In that, the guitar is playing a reggae-like rhythm before it goes off into it's solo. By reggae-like, I mean short repetitive chords, strummed off the beat. And what about in Nobody's Listening from Meteora? Over there they weaved a Japanese flute in a very traditional style into their music. In fact, Shinoda has even said that they centered the song around the flute. And then there are LP's instrumental sessions which are always a delight to listen to. Hahn goes wild with his sampler.

Deathspector

Ska Punk (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ska_punk) (I know, terrible I would link wikipedia for music) has been around for years.

And as Red said, tons of underground Japanese bands use the flute. I don't much care to listen to any of their instrumental sessions, because I'm sure it will be like all of their other work: a repetitive modern rock sound they never experiment with combined with some dj scratching and whatnot thrown over it.

Deathspector
08-14-2008, 07:51 AM
Ska Punk (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ska_punk) (I know, terrible I would link wikipedia for music) has been around for years.

And as Red said, tons of underground Japanese bands use the flute. I don't much care to listen to any of their instrumental sessions, because I'm sure it will be like all of their other work: a repetitive modern rock sound they never experiment with combined with some dj scratching and whatnot thrown over it.

I'm not saying they're the only ones to have done it. I'm just saying that you can't accuse them of not being inventive. If you're looking for something completely and utterly unique, you're not gonna find much unless you go back to the beginning of time when music was first discovered.

Deathspector

Raine
08-14-2008, 08:02 AM
I'm not saying they're the only ones to have done it. I'm just saying that you can't accuse them of not being inventive. If you're looking for something completely and utterly unique, you're not gonna find much unless you go back to the beginning of time when music was first discovered.

Deathspector

Examples of unique bands: maudlin of the Well, Kayo Dot, Alcest, Unexpect, Ghost, Boris, etc.

The majority of which are popular on the indie scene. There are unique bands out there, but they seldom exist as mainstream bands. In case you have not found out yet, I am one of those critics who scours the web for bands which are original. I love unique music, and I generally place stock only in bands which experiment.

Deathspector
08-14-2008, 08:34 AM
The majority of which are popular on the indie scene. There are unique bands out there, but they seldom exist as mainstream bands. In case you have not found out yet, I am one of those critics who scours the web for bands which are original. I love unique music, and I generally place stock only in bands which experiment.

Lol. Yes, I admire bands that experiment as well. But I guess our definitions of experimentation are different.

Deathspector

Raine
08-14-2008, 09:55 AM
Lol. Yes, I admire bands that experiment as well. But I guess our definitions of experimentation are different.

Deathspector

I ultimately just fail to see anyway for Linkin Park to be considered experimental. When I look at it as the genre "experimental" that is just a nono (but even a lot of bands that I listen to would not fall under that definition, as that definition is "a refusal to accept the status quo" and pushes the boundries of what is normally defined as music). When I try to look at is as just originality and experimenting to find new styles and new sounds, they do not do that, either. As I've said, the style of music had been done before them and they sound no different from a typical modern rock band.

Debating with you has been fun, thanks, but I feel I have established my position on the rap debate:

Rap = repetitive and talentless
Rap freestyles = moronic
Rap "poetry" = awful subjects
Rap beats = always sounds the same
Rap rock = terrible bands, Clash and Anthrax should not have inspired it

MaskedJackal
08-14-2008, 01:07 PM
Don't forget how they market to depressed teens/pre-teens. They're good businessmen, but not good artists.

Deathspector
08-14-2008, 01:49 PM
Don't forget how they market to depressed teens/pre-teens. They're good businessmen, but not good artists.

*Blink*

I don't think anyone markets to depressed teens. It's just that depressed teens get attracted to certain sorts of music which doesn't have to be bad.

Deathspector

George Jefferson
08-14-2008, 03:31 PM
Debating with you has been fun, thanks, but I feel I have established my position on the rap debate:

Rap = repetitive and talentless
Rap freestyles = moronic
Rap "poetry" = awful subjects
Rap beats = always sounds the same
Rap rock = terrible bands, Clash and Anthrax should not have inspired it

Your position sucks.

Despite todays rap nowadays, you can find solace in yesteryear's rap, by listening to Ice-T, Snoop Dogg, Run DMC, and other artists whom I've forgot about.

And I am an avid fan of rock, who hates rap. :\

Raine
08-14-2008, 05:00 PM
Your position sucks.

Grow up.

Despite todays rap nowadays, you can find solace in yesteryear's rap, by listening to Ice-T, Snoop Dogg, Run DMC, and other artists whom I've forgot about.

I was speaking generally on the subject of the lyrics (though the beats are always simple and repetitive). There are a few defendable artists out there (Snoop Dogg definitely is not one, his lyrics are mostly sex and violence, though I have not heard much Ice-T and do not like Run DMC), but it does nothing to save the genre of rap when you compare the good to the bad.

And I am an avid fan of rock, who hates rap. :\

How does that help your argument?

Shadow Eevee
08-14-2008, 08:16 PM

Pop-punk has the word pop in it, making it pop, and those bands you listed are pretty successful and popular (in my area), and either way, rock music is still successful.

ReclusiveDemon
08-14-2008, 08:28 PM
I don't think anyone markets to depressed teens.
Such naivety.

So, what, there's around forty or so original rap artists who are pretty decent and original, and thousands of others that are the same crap repeated over and over? That's not too great.

George Jefferson
08-14-2008, 08:35 PM
So, what, there's around forty or so original rap artists who are pretty decent and original, and thousands of others that are the same crap repeated over and over? That's not too great.

PERHAPS THE SAME COULD BE SAID OF ALL genres.

Hypocrisy is Fun
08-14-2008, 11:44 PM

http://img112.imageshack.us/img112/358/fryseewhatyoudidtherevq1.jpg

Raine
08-15-2008, 03:50 AM

Not true. While I'll agree with you that in most genres of music there is more bad than good, nothing is even close to being in such a terrible state as rap, modern mainstream rock aside.

Hypocrisy is Fun
08-15-2008, 03:57 AM
Theres not such thing as "bad" music. Prove me wrong.

Deathspector
08-15-2008, 04:25 AM
Theres not such thing as "bad" music. Prove me wrong.

Go listen to come aleotoric twentieth century classical music, and then come back and ask that question.

Deathspector

Hypocrisy is Fun
08-15-2008, 05:31 AM
Go listen to come aleotoric twentieth century classical music, and then come back and ask that question.

Deathspector

I'm sure theres someone out there who likes that.

Deathspector
08-15-2008, 05:49 AM
I'm sure theres someone out there who likes that.

The people who claimed to like twentieth century classical music were the rich and privileged people of European society, who only listened to it because it was what was being played in the music halls. Classical music in the twentieth century was more a time for the musicians to put up a big middle finger to the audience and say, "We're not going to play nice music anymore. Deal with it."

Deathspector

Hypocrisy is Fun
08-15-2008, 05:57 AM
The people who claimed to like twentieth century classical music were the rich and privileged people of European society, who only listened to it because it was what was being played in the music halls. Classical music in the twentieth century was more a time for the musicians to put up a big middle finger to the audience and say, "We're not going to play nice music anymore. Deal with it."

Deathspector

That doesn't mean someone people out there won't consider it good in their eyes.

Deathspector
08-15-2008, 06:36 AM
That doesn't mean someone people out there won't consider it good in their eyes.

Lol. Agreed. But it wasn't exactly good music. If you'd heard any you'd know what I'm talking about. It's painful. And I have to flipping study it...><;

Deathspector

George Jefferson
08-15-2008, 05:00 PM
http://img112.imageshack.us/img112/358/fryseewhatyoudidtherevq1.jpg

oh u

Not true. While I'll agree with you that in most genres of music there is more bad than good, nothing is even close to being in such a terrible state as rap, modern mainstream rock aside.

Still bashing rap, not knowing the wonderful concepts of the lyrics?

Allow me to send my race back 10 or 20 years. (Native American OH LAWD)

Let's look at Tupac Shakur.

Listen to most of his songs. Listen to the lyrics, mostly.

See how many references to sex, alcohol, drugs and violence.

I can tell you right now, it rarely comes up.

Deathspector
08-15-2008, 05:05 PM

Allow me to send my race back 10 or 20 years. (Native American OH LAWD)

Listen to most of his songs. Listen to the lyrics, mostly.

See how many references to sex, alcohol, drugs and violence.

I can tell you right now, it rarely comes up.

Lol. Tupac is one in a million, mate. You look at 50 Cent, or Snoop Dogg or many contemporary rap artists, and all of their songs are about sex, alcohol, drugs and violence.

Deathspector

ReclusiveDemon
08-15-2008, 05:55 PM
People need to stop playing the Tupac card, because it's become virtually worthless anymore. Tupac was one of the few unique rap artists who didn't focus on just women, drugs, and gang activities. Yes, everyone knows he also sang about problems with society, personal matters, relationship trials, and other such things. Yes, some other rap artists today do it. ANYONE WHO HAS EVER DEBATED RAP KNOWS THIS.

The problem with the Tupac card (or others like Snoop, Run DMC, etc) it that the salvation of a style of music cannot be with just A FEW artists.

George Jefferson
08-15-2008, 06:54 PM
People need to stop playing the Tupac card, because it's become virtually worthless anymore. Tupac was one of the few unique rap artists who didn't focus on just women, drugs, and gang activities. Yes, everyone knows he also sang about problems with society, personal matters, relationship trials, and other such things. Yes, some other rap artists today do it. ANYONE WHO HAS EVER DEBATED RAP KNOWS THIS.

The problem with the Tupac card (or others like Snoop, Run DMC, etc) it that the salvation of a style of music cannot be with just A FEW artists.

Welll EXCUUUUUUUUUUSE ME princess!

Raine
08-16-2008, 08:36 AM
You are very, very wrong. Before I ever got off of my butt to actually find out if there was any music out there that appealed to my taste, I actually liked a few of the rap artists who weren't that bad. However, I still have hatred for rap because MOST of the rap artists are terrible. Of the hundreds of rap artists I've heard, I only ever respected about 8 artists. I bash rap because there is too much tripe in the genre, and that will never cease.

MaskedJackal
08-16-2008, 01:57 PM
You are very, very wrong. Before I ever got off of my butt to actually find out if there was any music out there that appealed to my taste, I actually liked a few of the rap artists who weren't that bad. However, I still have hatred for rap because MOST of the rap artists are terrible. Of the hundreds of rap artists I've heard, I only ever respected about 8 artists. I bash rap because there is too much tripe in the genre, and that will never cease.

The thing is, most "rock" artists suck too. All this nu-metal and emo crap clogs up the radio.

TheInFamousBiffy
08-16-2008, 09:37 PM
Rock is awesome!!
I don't mind some rap
aswell as i don't mind some pop
But overall I prefare metal and punk

Shadow Eevee
08-16-2008, 09:39 PM
The thing is, most "rock" artists suck too. All this nu-metal and emo crap clogs up the radio.

Ana artist sucking or not is opinion, not fact.

And if the radio annoys you so much, then why won't you just stop listening or put in a CD instead? :wink:

Disruption
08-16-2008, 10:08 PM
I hope you all know that you won't change people's music preference in any way by arguing or saying which is better.

So there's really no point in going..

OMG ROCK SUCKS RAP IZ WAY BETR.

or

OMG LEIK RAP IS HORRIBLE I LIKE ROCK SO U SHUD 2.

George Jefferson
08-16-2008, 10:12 PM
I hope you all know that you won't change people's music preference in any way by arguing or saying which is better.

or

THIS.

And QFT.

Shadow Eevee
08-16-2008, 10:13 PM

or

Most of the people here don't go like that, they provide reasons on why they prefer one over the other.

Disruption
08-16-2008, 10:20 PM
Most of the people here don't go like that, they provide reasons on why they prefer one over the other.

Yeah, but do you really think it's going to change the opposition's opinions?

Shadow Eevee
08-16-2008, 10:45 PM
Yeah, but do you really think it's going to change the opposition's opinions?

No, but that's what this thread's about- to compare Rap and rock, and to try to persuade some opinions along the way.

MaskedJackal
08-17-2008, 03:50 AM
Ana artist sucking or not is opinion, not fact.

A band that does nothing but release repetitive nonsense and recycle their emo lyrics to sell to angsty teens isn't good.

Synester
08-17-2008, 05:49 AM
A band that does nothing but release repetitive nonsense and recycle their emo lyrics to sell to angsty teens isn't good.Well then just about any genre of music is ****** =/. Metal isn't helping anyone other then making there hears hurt on trying to even comprhend on what they are saying.

Raine
08-17-2008, 09:04 AM
Well then just about any genre of music is ****** =/.

Have you done any research at all? If you had, you would find that it's mostly the mainstream bands which are producing music that sounds far too similar and "recycling lyrics". Original bands exist, but major record labels aren't going to take chances on them because they invest money in these bands and are not willing to take a chance on something that might fail. So, they just go out and sign bands that sound similar to bands that are already "successful".

Metal isn't helping anyone other then making there hears hurt on trying to even comprhend on what they are saying.

You clearly have only heard death metal, nu metal, metalcore, and whatever MTV and FUSE feeds its autistic audience if you say that all or most of the vocals in metal are not easily interpreted. I will not argue the fact that metal does often have vocalists that aren't talented and do nothing but scream the lyrics for 4-5 minutes, but a large portion of metal also has clean vocals. For examples: progressive metal, avant-garde metal, doom metal, sludge metal, gothic metal (God forbid), and dark metal.

MaskedJackal
08-17-2008, 01:10 PM
You clearly have only heard death metal, nu metal, metalcore, and whatever MTV and FUSE feeds its autistic audience if you say that all or most of the vocals in metal are not easily interpreted. I will not argue the fact that metal does often have vocalists that aren't talented and do nothing but scream the lyrics for 4-5 minutes, but a large portion of metal also has clean vocals. For examples: progressive metal, avant-garde metal, doom metal, sludge metal, gothic metal (God forbid), and dark metal.

Death metal isn't really mainstream, save for Cannibal Corpse. Bands who defined the genre such as Death and Carcass, are often ignored.

Deathspector
08-17-2008, 01:39 PM
A band that does nothing but release repetitive nonsense and recycle their emo lyrics to sell to angsty teens isn't good.

I find it funny how it all comes back down to repetitive rhythms and melodies, and emo lyrics. I'll admit that quite a few mainstream bands think up a bunch of words that evoke pain and put them into a song with a D, G, A chord progression, but it's only not good in your opinion. What about those angsty teens that you're talking about? What if they want music that expressed how they feel? Yes, I'm pretty sure Pete Wentz never attempted suicide, but if the lyrics he comes up with help these angsty teens then why are we complaining?

Deathspector

MaskedJackal
08-17-2008, 01:46 PM
I find it funny how it all comes back down to repetitive rhythms and melodies, and emo lyrics. I'll admit that quite a few mainstream bands think up a bunch of words that evoke pain and put them into a song with a D, G, A chord progression, but it's only not good in your opinion. What about those angsty teens that you're talking about? What if they want music that expressed how they feel? Yes, I'm pretty sure Pete Wentz never attempted suicide, but if the lyrics he comes up with help these angsty teens then why are we complaining?

Deathspector

There are bands out there with "helpful" lyrics that actually have talent and can come up with original material.

Deathspector
08-17-2008, 01:49 PM
There are bands out there with "helpful" lyrics that actually have talent and can come up with original material.

It doesn't help saying "there are bands out there". That's really hardly a decent reply.

And once again, their lyrics might be helpful to some, but obviously the lyrics that you've classified as emo seem to be a bit more helpful, else the whole world wouldn't be listening to music with emo lyrics. >>

Deathspector

Shadow Eevee
08-17-2008, 03:38 PM

It might be repetitive to you, but they might like it. And metal isn't any different- yelling, screaming, and some random instrument is all you need to be a metal artist, imo. :x

Deathspector
08-17-2008, 03:50 PM
It might be repetitive to you, but they might like it. And metal isn't any different- yelling, screaming, and some random instrument is all you need to be a metal artist, imo. :x

Again with the stereotyping ><;

Ever heard symphonic metal? Listen to Nightwish and then come back and say "yelling, screaming and some random instrument" is all that it takes to play metal.

Deathspector

Shadow Eevee
08-17-2008, 03:57 PM
Again with the stereotyping ><;

Ever heard symphonic metal? Listen to Nightwish and then come back and say "yelling, screaming and some random instrument" is all that it takes to play metal.

Deathspector

I said imo, didn't I?
:x
Anyway, I listen to some System of a down, and I actually don't get headaches when listening to them. :P

Deathspector
08-17-2008, 04:13 PM
I said imo, didn't I?
:x
Anyway, I listen to some System of a down, and I actually don't get headaches when listening to them. :P

System Of A Down has a few good songs.

Oh, and it being your opinion doesn't really change it from being a rather common stereotype. This is a debate thread, after all, isn't it? xP

Deathspector

Shadow Eevee
08-17-2008, 04:24 PM
System Of A Down has a few good songs.

Oh, and it being your opinion doesn't really change it from being a rather common stereotype. This is a debate thread, after all, isn't it? xP

Deathspector

Yeah I guess. I think we're getting a little off topic over here. :P

MaskedJackal
08-17-2008, 04:57 PM

Your opinion is wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKxvIx6lTYc

^ Does that sound like "random noise" to you? If it does, then something's wrong. I'm guess you're going to complain about the vocals too. Please, by all means try and sing along.

Shadow Eevee
08-17-2008, 05:10 PM
Your opinion is wrong.

^ Does that sound like "random noise" to you? If it does, then something's wrong. I'm guess you're going to complain about the vocals too. Please, by all means try and sing along.

There's no such thing as a wrong opinion, because opinion is something which a person thinks or believes.
Actually, it does. :x The vocals pretty much random yelling, in my opinion, and really, I still don't see how you could listen to that without an Advil. :/

Caecity
08-17-2008, 05:12 PM
Your opinion is wrong.

I could turn that around, and say the same thing to you, but add in a rap youtube video, and change a couple of your words. :|

TheInFamousBiffy
08-17-2008, 05:13 PM
Random Noise, well what i class "Random noise" is Grindcore
Such as Napalm death (Which I love, There EPIC)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzmXQY0l5Xs&feature=related

Stuff on youtube sounds nothing like there album

Half of metal isn't screamo, Heavy Metal and Grincore take that medal

Plus Iron maiden, AAF, 30 secends to mars, Scars On Broadway, Faith No more (And Many more) Are Metal but don't scream and are not randomly shoved together

MaskedJackal
08-17-2008, 05:28 PM
I could turn that around, and say the same thing to you, but add in a rap youtube video, and change a couple of your words. :|

I never said rap was bad. It suffers from the same thing as rock. There are "artists" who release mindless trash to sell to kids. These are also the artists that get all the media attention, so most are only exposed to them and not the underground artists who actually possess talent.

@TheInFamousBiffy: Napalm Death has more metal influence than most grindcore, so they aren't really "random noise".

@ShadowEevee: And you accuse ME of being close minded? "Clean" vocals aren't the only type of vocals out there.

Shadow Eevee
08-17-2008, 05:33 PM
I never said rap was bad. It suffers from the same thing as rock. There are "artists" who release mindless trash to sell to kids. These are also the artists that get all the media attention, so most are only exposed to them and not the underground artists who actually possess talent.

@TheInFamousBiffy: Napalm Death has more metal influence than most grindcore, so they aren't really "random noise".

@ShadowEevee: And you accuse ME of being close minded? "Clean" vocals aren't the only type of vocals out there.

Yes, but has it occurred to you that not everyone likes to hear screaming for vocals? I accept other kinds of vocals, I just prefer hearing 'clean' vocals.

Caecity
08-17-2008, 05:36 PM

I know, I was just, erm, saying that for a "general" view, as you might called it.

TheInFamousBiffy
08-17-2008, 05:56 PM

Some of Napalm death song are noise, such as Instinct of survival - It's good because i like that sort of music

TheInFamousBiffy
08-17-2008, 05:57 PM

Some of Napalm death song are noise, such as Instinct of survival - It's good because i like that sort of music

(Sorry for double post)

Stardy
08-17-2008, 06:04 PM
(Time to get shot. :D)

I will be honest, I like Rap more.
But both styles are awesome, each have there own flaws, but each their advantages.
So yeah, both are awesome, but I mark Rap.

On another note, I bet a good 90% of the peeps who say they hate Rap like 'Gangsta's Paradise' by Coolio. :P

MaskedJackal
08-17-2008, 06:10 PM

Their old albums are a 1,000,000,000 mph blastfest, but they became death/grind after Harmony Corruption.

Shadow Eevee
08-17-2008, 06:25 PM
(Time to get shot. :D)

I will be honest, I like Rap more.
But both styles are awesome, each have there own flaws, but each their advantages.
So yeah, both are awesome, but I mark Rap.

On another note, I bet a good 90% of the peeps who say they hate Rap like 'Gangsta's Paradise' by Coolio. :P

I think most people just hate the ones that pop up on texting commercials, or come out of no where, and just repeat like 20 words, such as Lil Mama and Soulja Boy.

Caecity
08-17-2008, 06:32 PM
I think most people just hate the ones that pop up on texting commercials, or come out of no where, and just repeat like 20 words, such as Lil Mama and Soulja Boy.

Eck. Don't put Lil Mama, and Soulja Boy in the same catergory. :[

She basically only did that in Lip Gloss, ;0

Shadow Eevee
08-17-2008, 06:36 PM
Eck. Don't put Lil Mama, and Soulja Boy in the same catergory. :[

She basically only did that in Lip Gloss, ;0

She still used the tactic. :o
And have you heard the remix of Girlfriend? Yeah, I think that's enough to go into the Soulja Boy Category.

Stardy
08-17-2008, 06:47 PM

Lil Mama > Soulja Boy.

But yeah, I see where you are going with it, but why compare them to Tupac, Coolio, Eminem, Lil Wayne, Family Force 5 (The group have a Rapper, whom I don't know the name of. But listen to 'Numb' by them, and you will see what I mean, basicly. :P) and alot more great rappers? I mean, just because Soulja Boy sucks doesn't mean the whole genre does.

Shadow Eevee
08-17-2008, 06:55 PM
Lil Mama > Soulja Boy.

But yeah, I see where you are going with it, but why compare them to Tupac, Coolio, Eminem, Lil Wayne, Family Force 5 (The group have a Rapper, whom I don't know the name of. But listen to 'Numb' by them, and you will see what I mean, basicly. :P) and alot more great rappers? I mean, just because Soulja Boy sucks doesn't mean the whole genre does.

Well, I know what you mean about the genre thing, but personally, I think that rap overuses that card. I mean, every genre has a bad singer that usually stereotypes the whole genre, but the rest of the genre is good, and sadly, people don't go like 'Well, country has so and so, and also that band, so it can't be bad just because of one musician.'

To put it short: I think rap uses that card too much, though every genre has their bad artists.

ReclusiveDemon
08-17-2008, 08:00 PM
Slightly off the current topic, but I must correct something.

Plus Iron maiden, AAF, 30 secends to mars, Scars On Broadway, Faith No more (And Many more) Are Metal but don't scream and are not randomly shoved together
30 Seconds to Mars, Scars on Broadway and Alien Ant Farm aren't Heavy Metal. 30 Seconds is Alternative Rock or Post-Hardcore, depending on the song and album. AAF is Post-Grunge and Alternative. Scars... well, they're just mediocre Hardcore and Alternative, if you ask me.

See, this is yet ANOTHER problem with people (casual listening kids) today who talk about Metal. They THINK they know actual Metal bands, but the problem is THEY DON'T. They hear a band that's loud and they go "OH MY GOD THIS IS SO METAL," and there lies the problem. Being LOUD does not automatically categorize it as METAL.

Get your tags right.

Caecity
08-17-2008, 08:24 PM
She still used the tactic. :o
And have you heard the remix of Girlfriend? Yeah, I think that's enough to go into the Soulja Boy Category.

'Cept she does sing about sexual things, such as Soulja Boy. :[

What "card" are you talking about?

Shadow Eevee
08-17-2008, 08:38 PM
'Cept she does sing about sexual things, such as Soulja Boy. :[

What "card" are you talking about?

The card 'Rap's still good, even though they have 1 or 2 bad artists.', whereas I haven't seen another genre get cut so much slack. In other words, if I say 'Pop's good, if you cut Hannah Montana and stuff', people will say she's still a good amount of it. But I guess this is only for rap and rock, so I'll stop here.

TheInFamousBiffy
08-17-2008, 09:20 PM
Slightly off the current topic, but I must correct something.

30 Seconds to Mars, Scars on Broadway and Alien Ant Farm aren't Heavy Metal. 30 Seconds is Alternative Rock or Post-Hardcore, depending on the song and album. AAF is Post-Grunge and Alternative. Scars... well, they're just mediocre Hardcore and Alternative, if you ask me.

See, this is yet ANOTHER problem with people (casual listening kids) today who talk about Metal. They THINK they know actual Metal bands, but the problem is THEY DON'T. They hear a band that's loud and they go "OH MY GOD THIS IS SO METAL," and there lies the problem. Being LOUD does not automatically categorize it as METAL.

Get your tags right.

I was only nameing there heavy songs,
One) I hate most loud music,
Two) I'm Punk/Metal head/Rocker
Three) I would never say "OH MY GOD THIS IS SO METAL,"
Four) A couple of bands i put I hate Such as AAF and 30 seconds, I prefare old stuff like Maiden, Pearl Jame, Nirvana, Pop Will Eat Itself, Zodiac Midwarp and The Love reaction, Faith no more and most 70's, 80's bands

By the way it's only natural i don't like much rap,
My parents are Moshers
I was born to
Everythings ruined - Faith No more

Caecity
08-17-2008, 09:24 PM
The card 'Rap's still good, even though they have 1 or 2 bad artists.', whereas I haven't seen another genre get cut so much slack. In other words, if I say 'Pop's good, if you cut Hannah Montana and stuff', people will say she's still a good amount of it. But I guess this is only for rap and rock, so I'll stop here.

I think every genre uses that card, not just rap, I mean if you don't like that one artist, and you wawnt to exclude it from the genre, because everybody knows they suck. It's basically an opinion, not a card, because I think everybody wants Soulja Boy out of buisness, and quit making songs. :]

Shadow Eevee
08-18-2008, 01:58 AM
I think every genre uses that card, not just rap, I mean if you don't like that one artist, and you wawnt to exclude it from the genre, because everybody knows they suck. It's basically an opinion, not a card, because I think everybody wants Soulja Boy out of buisness, and quit making songs. :]

Good thing the trend died out here in November '07. :)
I've heard people go all 'Rock sucks because of FoB and those wannabees.' But never 'Excluding them, rock is good'. Yet I've heard people go like 'Rap's good, except Soulja Boy' and not 'Rap sucks because of Soulja Boy'.

Caecity
08-18-2008, 02:02 AM
D:; Well people over here think that raps sucks BECAUSE of Soulja Boy, guess it's where you live at. :\/

Shadow Eevee
08-18-2008, 02:11 AM
D:; Well people over here think that raps sucks BECAUSE of Soulja Boy, guess it's where you live at. :\/

Yeah. It doesn't help that my town is full of wangstas. :/

George Jefferson
08-18-2008, 11:25 PM
To start another flame war...

Techno Trumps all music.

Synyster Gates
08-21-2008, 06:43 AM
I think rock is too soft lately its like about emotion and feelings I think most rock band vocalist sound the same like eg. linkin park and we the kings [to me though] now rap is mainly just about being a gangster ect. girls, money, drugs, voilence, and emotion for there mommas or their shortiee...>_< from 1 being bad and 10 being best i give rock -12 and rap -360 i think screaming music sound better then these two; i think metal is the best!!

TheInFamousBiffy
08-21-2008, 06:54 PM
i think screaming music sound better then these two; i think metal is the best!!

I agree ^^
Up teh metal!

Stardy
08-22-2008, 12:30 PM
Techno Trumps all music.

If by that you mean Daft Punk, perhaps Bass Hunter (if they are Techno, not sure. :L), then you have a good chance of being right.

Deathspector
08-22-2008, 02:02 PM
Techno Trumps all music.

A Kiss Could Be Deadly, Shiny Toy Guns, Breathe the Carolina. Yeah, I see what you mean. I still think alternative/emocore is the best, but techno isn't bad.

i think screaming music sound better then these two; i think metal is the best!!

Again with the screaming = metal theory. It's. Not. True.

Deathspector

Buizel410
08-24-2008, 12:34 AM
Actually, Jazz is the best. :wink: That sounds weird coming from a 13-year old, I know, but jazz is all about having fun, unlike some music these days. It's fun to play jazz yourself, too. And rock was started from jazz.

Deathspector
08-24-2008, 12:36 PM
Actually, Jazz is the best. :wink: That sounds weird coming from a 13-year old, I know, but jazz is all about having fun, unlike some music these days. It's fun to play jazz yourself, too. And rock was started from jazz.

*Blinks*

Actually, hip-hop developed from jazz, not rock. Get your facts right. >.<

Deathspector

Blast the Stereo
08-24-2008, 12:53 PM
If by that you mean Daft Punk, perhaps Bass Hunter (if they are Techno, not sure. :L), then you have a good chance of being right.

Work it harder, make it better, do it faster, makes us stronger.

More than ever, power, faster, power work is never overr.

Haha, me and my friend were jamming to that song today.

I personally think Electronica/Screamo wins above all, atm.

But it's probably just a phase. XD

Stardy
08-24-2008, 09:30 PM
Work it harder, make it better, do it faster, makes us stronger.

More than ever, power, faster, power work is never overr.

Haha, me and my friend were jamming to that song today.

Harder Better Faster Stronger, FTW*fancy squiggle thats not on Turkish Keyboard here*! ;P

Everybody jams to it Around the World. ;P
*shot for bad pun*

Synester
09-05-2008, 01:28 AM
1.)Rapping is a talent that needs to be practiced and developed just like any other form of music performance.

2.)A rapper does the exact same things any other songwriter does. He or she writes lyrics and decide how them fit together with music.

3.)Rap singers use inflection, dynamics, accents, many other musical devices. Just like any other musician.

Deathspector
09-05-2008, 12:33 PM
1.)Rapping is a talent that needs to be practiced and developed just like any other form of music performance.

Soulja Boy practices? =O

2.)A rapper does the exact same things any other songwriter does. He or she writes lyrics and decide how them fit together with music.

No, that's what a songwriter does. A rapper raps. A singer sings. A songwriter writes lyrics and fits them in with the music.

3.)Rap singers use inflection, dynamics, accents, many other musical devices. Just like any other musician.

Not the majority, I'll have to say. Yes, there are those few rappers who do, but most of the artists in the genre just repeat what the great before them did.

Deathspector

-Zodeon
09-12-2008, 03:24 PM
When both are used at once it is such a fantastic sound, like Linkin Park for example. They're one of the most sucessfuly bands in to world, as the appeal to everyone.

atucker22
09-13-2008, 11:57 AM
Rap shouldn't be considered music it's rhyming and fake beats.

Rock is REAL people playing REAL music on REAL instruments in harmony. Along with killer riffs and insane solos and scratchy voices.

Foo Fighters, White Stripes, Van Halen, Guns 'n' Roses, Aerosmith, and Metallica. Now that's real music.

Tory vs Meaty II
09-13-2008, 06:53 PM
Oh my gosh, I forgot all about this thread. Over 200 posts? I never liked Soulja Boy Tellem, and I love rap music. There are only a very few rock music that I like.

Meshi
09-13-2008, 07:07 PM
See, I love all music. Rock, Hip Hop, Rap(they're different), RnB- all that.

I don't see the problem with that ..

Synester
09-13-2008, 09:01 PM

Rock is REAL people playing REAL music on REAL instruments in harmony. Along with killer riffs and insane solos and scratchy voices.

Foo Fighters, White Stripes, Van Halen, Guns 'n' Roses, Aerosmith, and Metallica. Now that's real music.here we go with the "Rap isn't Music" thing again :ermm:. I didn't know the people Rapping weren't real, just a figment of our imaginations =o. Again, rap is music, maybe not your favorite kind, but still music. Rap doesn't use instruments....most of the time. Some people do make their own beats dumb ass. And White Stripes sucks imo =P.

Tombi
09-13-2008, 09:39 PM
Give me metal. Metalmetalmetal.

Heavy metal, thrash metal, folk metal, metalcore...

Then I like rock too. Rock, hard rock, hardcore...

Punk is cool too. The Clash for the win. 8D

Alternative's okay.

But yeah, metal for the win. Rap I despise, unless it's Linkin Park.

faceplant527
09-13-2008, 11:00 PM
all about rap baby !!!

my boyz:

three 6 mafia
project pat
young jeezy
juicy j
lil wayne
birdman
mop
aotp
bow wow

yyeeeeaaaa

atucker22
09-14-2008, 12:11 PM
And White Stripes sucks imo =P.

Dude what are you on they are so awesome you don't even know. In a few years you'll be like "Oh man the White Stripes are so sweet and atucker22 was right all along." just cuz Jack White is a bad singer (which he tries to be) doesn't make a band bad. there is only a small bit of rap I like:

Beastie Boys
Run DMC
Puff Daddy with Jimmy Page-"Come With Me"
Eminem-"Lose Yourself","Without Me"
Fort Minor-"Remember the Name"

If I named all the good rock music my post would be WAY to long.

PokeGamer
09-17-2008, 12:44 AM
Rock Music 4Ever

Synester
09-18-2008, 05:28 AM
In a few years you'll be like "Oh man the White Stripes are so sweet and atucker22 was right all along." When hell freezes over :rolleyes:.

atucker22
09-18-2008, 08:25 PM
When hell freezes over :rolleyes:.

Dude it must be cold down there then.

Deathspector
09-19-2008, 06:53 PM

Lose Yourself is so much more than rhyming and fake beats.

Eminem is real. Drum pads are real. Riffs and solos aren't what make rock, rock. Patrick Stump, Brendon Urie, William Beckett: all rock singers, none with scratchy voices.

Yes, I'm a rock fan. Yes, I only life a few rap songs. But rap is still music, and everything that you listed as rock isn't...well, rock.

Deathspector

Mitsuzo-kun
09-19-2008, 07:00 PM
Give me metal. Metalmetalmetal.

Heavy metal, thrash metal, folk metal, metalcore...

Then I like rock too. Rock, hard rock, hardcore...

Punk is cool too. The Clash for the win. 8D

Alternative's okay.

But yeah, metal for the win. Rap I despise, unless it's Linkin Park.

*Screams greebo*

=D

All of you suck tbh. "Rap isnt music", "Rock isn't music", stfu any of you that say the either. You give people who like the genre of music that you like a bad name. >>;

And btw, both are recognised genres of music, so get over yourselves plz.

Everyone has different tastes of music. :hungry:

QUOTED FOR TRUTH.

Haze
09-19-2008, 07:05 PM
In my opinion, rap would be better if it was more than about sex, money, and women. I'm not saying all rap is like that, but most now is. So Rock>Rap imo :\. But I really hate new rock :x

atucker22
09-19-2008, 07:33 PM
Lose Yourself is so much more than rhyming and fake beats.

Eminem is real. Drum pads are real. Riffs and solos aren't what make rock, rock. Patrick Stump, Brendon Urie, William Beckett: all rock singers, none with scratchy voices.

Yes, I'm a rock fan. Yes, I only life a few rap songs. But rap is still music, and everything that you listed as rock isn't...well, rock.

Deathspector

What are you talking about what I listed is definetly rock it's in my very first post here in this thread, not a recent post. I've never heard of the singers you mentioned plz tell me their band names. Riffs, scratchy voices, and solos are totally what makes rock, rock.

Tory vs Meaty II
09-19-2008, 07:37 PM
Hey, I want every active member to cool down in this thread. Everyone has different tastes of music. :hungry:

atucker22
09-20-2008, 01:02 AM
Hey, I want every active member to cool down in this thread. Everyone has different tastes of music. :hungry:

Isn't the point to argue your favorite though

Tory vs Meaty II
09-20-2008, 05:26 AM
Soulja Boy Tell'em sucks. Why there were some people in this thread was compairing him to Lil' Wayne? And people that hate rap just brought up a crappy rapper that is a discrace to hip hop. Like 'nuff said, Soulja just got lucky, he won't be that lucky anymore. Crank That (Superman) was the second worst song I have ever heard of 2007. The first worst song of 2007 I have ever heard was Dey Know, by Shawdy Lo. So don't say that is whole rap gerne sucks because you'll brought up a garbage music artist just for that, come on.

Deathspector
09-20-2008, 09:02 AM
What are you talking about what I listed is definetly rock it's in my very first post here in this thread, not a recent post. I've never heard of the singers you mentioned plz tell me their band names. Riffs, scratchy voices, and solos are totally what makes rock, rock.

Patrick Stump is from Fall Out Boy. Brendon Urie is from Panic At The Disco. William Beckett is from The Academy Is...

They all have melodic voices, and none of them scream. I have nothing against screamers, but just because someone doesn't scream, or has a beautiful voice doesn't mean that they don't play rock.

Deathspector

atucker22
09-20-2008, 12:32 PM
Patrick Stump is from Fall Out Boy. Brendon Urie is from Panic At The Disco. William Beckett is from The Academy Is...

They all have melodic voices, and none of them scream. I have nothing against screamers, but just because someone doesn't scream, or has a beautiful voice doesn't mean that they don't play rock.

Deathspector

I don't like screaming either, and I like Panic! and Fall Out Boy just don't know the names of new bands well:oops::oops::oops:, but I'm saying that I like what is now called classic rock (Van Halen, G'N'R, Aerosmith, Metallica, Ac/Dc, etc,) much better than "New Rock" (White Stripes, Foo Fighters, Coldplay, Green Day, etc.) but I still like new rock as well.

TheInFamousBiffy
09-21-2008, 05:56 PM
Crimp Is Win
All Styles of Metal are Win
Rock Is win
Rock n' Roll Is Win
Punk Is Win
Electro Is Win

Some reap is okay like Limb Bizkit and Linkin Park

But Crimp Owns All
Especially Boosh Crimp
Up Teh Boosh

faceplant527
09-21-2008, 06:38 PM
Soulja Boy Tell'em sucks. Why there were some people in this thread was compairing him to Lil' Wayne? And people that hate rap just brought up a crappy rapper that is a discrace to hip hop. Like 'nuff said, Soulja just got lucky, he won't be that lucky anymore. Crank That (Superman) was the second worst song I have ever heard of 2007. The first worst song of 2007 I have ever heard was Dey Know, by Shawdy Lo. So don't say that is whole rap gerne sucks because you'll brought up a garbage music artist just for that, come on.

good point. alot of rap is actually really good and catchy. but ppl are just comparing it to all the dumb soujaboy stuff. that song was ok but then came crank that superman, spiderman, and that souljagirl. its like seriously STOP !!!

Haze
09-22-2008, 12:57 AM
good point. alot of rap is actually really good and catchy. but ppl are just comparing it to all the dumb soujaboy stuff. that song was ok but then came crank that superman, spiderman, and that souljagirl. its like seriously STOP !!!

Ok I'll compare it to Flo Rida, lil Wayne, Three Six Mafia, those are all pretty big rappers. Still the same message over and over. Yes some of it is catchy, but it's repetative.

Caecity
09-22-2008, 01:02 AM
Obviously, what you listen to is the mainstream. |:

[~ P.S Flo Rida ain't even that big.]

Lord Voldemort
09-26-2008, 10:38 PM
Classic Rock for me...
I don't hate all rap, it sorta depends on the song for me.