PDA

View Full Version : PE2K Competitive Tutoring [OPEN] New Round starting!

Blackmag228
02-26-2008, 12:57 AM
PE2K Tutoring Thread

Due to the vast amount of inexperienced trainers in the strategy and trade threads, and the great success of Smogon's, I would like to start a tutor program to help out those who aren't as knowledgeable and experienced. I would like to give the great strategic minds of PE2K a chance to tutor the not so great battlers here. I would like this to be organized, like after a good schedule between the tutor and the student is created (or times when each is online), I would post it here for everyone to see in case one of them forgot. I hope that this will better all of PE2K collectively. The process will take place over some sort of instant messenger program or Shoddy Battle. It's okay if you only have Shoddy Battle, as you can chat there. Shoddy Battle can be found here (http://www.Shoddybattle.com/downloads) and is a must for this to work right, as the tutor must challenge the student and evaluate his/her skills and try to help them. This will be the first of many sessions, and I would like the tutors and students can meet at least once a week for at least 3 hours total until the session is over. This session will begin on 23 March and end on 4 April. Signing up late (if tutors are available) will not penalize you, only shorten your time with your tutor. If you have trouble getting in touch with your partner PM me and I will try to help. I will match the tutors and students depending on their available hours and their instant messenger application(s). Here are the applications:

Tutor:

Which Instant Messengar application do you prefer and what is your Screen Name?:
What is your shoddy battle nickname?:
What are your available online hours?:
Do you promise to honor your commitment as a tutor(you may leave when the session is done if you would like, just PM me to take you off the tutor list):
Why do you think you would be a good tutor?:

Student:

Which Instant Messenger application do you prefer and what is your Screen Name?:
What is your shoddy battle nickname?:
What are your available online hours?:
Do you promise to try to learn as best as you can and not to make your tutor's job harder?:

Here are the members of the program and matches:

Current Tutors:

Fire Away
MSN and AIM, but AIM is preferred. SN is xxbeatoftheheart.
Shoddy Battle Nickname: NomNomNom
Usually on most of the day on weekdays, depends on weekends.
MATCHED

Pulse
AIM, TheNegativePu1se
Shoddy Battle Nickname: .Pulse.
Online almost every night barring some Fridays and Sundays.

Blackmag228
AIM, Blackmagi228
Shoddy Battle Nickname: Blackmagi228
Usually on 10AM-9ish PM sunday, and 4-10 weekdays.
MATCHED

Current Students:

Spinarak Craney
AIM- Politoed Prince
Shoddy Battle Nickname: Magnezone
Online hours: GMT- 3:15-5:00 [mon-fri] GMT-10:00-8:00 [Sat-Sun]
MATCHED

Screech1941
AIM, Screech1941
Shoddy Battle Nickname: screech1941
Online hours vary greatly.
MATCHED

Students Pending Renewal:

korey19
MSN, k.leroux.19@hotmail.com
No shoddy battle.
Online weekdays-4-9 weekends, anytime.

Djax94
AIM, JacksonPkmn - MSN, jwingar@hotmail.com
Shoddy Battle Nickname: djax94
Online hours are flexable.

Current Matches:

Blackmag228-Screech1941
Fire Away-Spinarak Craney

Last round's Matches/Unrenewed Matches:

Fire Away-Korey19
Pulse-Djax94

Pulse
02-26-2008, 01:09 AM
IMO this should be left up to the moderators, or someone with more experience in the field. I would nominate someone like Leman, but to be honest, with the scarce number of serious battlers at PE2K, this is a waste of time.

Fire Away
02-26-2008, 01:09 AM
Tutor application.

Which Instant Messengar application do you prefer and what is your Screen Name?: I have MSN and AIM, but AIM is preferred since I'm on it more. My SN is xxbeatoftheheart.
What is your shoddy battle nickname?: NomNomNom
What are your available online hours?: On school days I'm on most of the day. On weekends...depends. Usually I'm out.
Do you promise to honor your commitment as a tutor?: Sure
Why do you think you would be a good tutor?: Well...I play competitive Pokemon. I do it frequently. I'm not that bad. :|

EDIT: Kinda agreeing with Pulse, but what could it hurt?

Blackmag228
02-26-2008, 01:11 AM
Thanks guys, and Pulse, I got a go ahead from Rust, I want to try it to see if it will work right, I am tired of people who don't know what they are talking about. Fire away, Accepted.

korey19
02-26-2008, 01:18 AM
Student:

Which Instant Messengar application do you prefer and what is your Screen Name?:MSN, k.leroux.19@hotmail.com
What is your shoddy battle nickname?:n/a
What are your available online hours?:weekdays-4-9 weekends, anytime.
Do you promise to try to learn as best as you can and don't make your tutor's job harder?:YES!.

~korey

Blackmag228
02-26-2008, 01:20 AM
Korey, please register in shoddy battle, as you cannot receive the full benefits of this program without it.

korey19
02-26-2008, 01:23 AM
Korey, please register in shoddy battle, as you cannot receive the full benefits of this program without it.
Sorry, but i cant download, as i am not allowed.
If i cant co-operate in this then, then thats fine.

~korey

Blackmag228
02-26-2008, 01:28 AM
Sorry, but i cant download, as i am not allowed.
If i cant co-operate in this then, then thats fine.

~korey

I suppose I can accept you but I will need to find a tutor who is willing to work without it.

Edit: Fire away, Since your hours are similar and you both have MSN do you mind working with him without shoddy battle?

korey19
02-26-2008, 01:30 AM
I suppose I can accept you but I will need to find a tutor who is willing to work without it.
Ok. I have DP, i have wifi, and i can EV train, so its not much of a problem.

~korey

Blackmag228
02-26-2008, 01:34 AM
Ok, I'll try to find a good tutor for you.

Pulse
02-26-2008, 02:01 AM
Blackmag, I'll join once I complete my apprentice program at Smogon. Hopefully I can use the knowledge I gather in that process to further help out PE2K.

Blackmag228
02-26-2008, 02:05 AM
Blackmag, I'll join once I complete my apprentice program at Smogon. Hopefully I can use the knowledge I gather in that process to further help out PE2K.

Ok, thanks, I am in the program there too, I thought it would be nice to bring it here to help the people of PE2K.

Ultima Boss
02-26-2008, 02:49 AM
IMO this should be left up to the moderators, or someone with more experience in the field.
My thoughts exactly

I would nominate someone like Leman, but to be honest, with the scarce number of serious battlers at PE2K, this is a waste of time.
He said it, I'll let you guys decide who runs the program. I'll just facilitate, and perform moderating duties.

I got a go ahead from Rust
Unfortunately, on this board, he's just like any other member. You should've asked myself, Younglink, RocketMeowth, or any of the Global Moderators first. However, since I do have jurisdiction here, I approve of a tutoring program, but have this ran by someone experience like, as Pulse mentioned earlier, Leman or someone else of his calibur or above.

Besides, what can hurt?

Carry on...

Blackmag228
02-26-2008, 02:53 AM
Thanks, I was not aware of that, I just asked a moderator. And I suppose... Sigh... If anyone REALLY wants to take over this thread and is "better for the job" I will let them.
Edit: Thanks for the sticky!

screech1941
02-29-2008, 04:10 AM
Which Instant Messenger application do you prefer and what is your Screen Name?: AIM, Screech1941
What is your shoddy battle nickname?: screech1941
What are your available online hours?: Vary Greatly
Do you promise to try to learn as best as you can and not to make your tutor's job harder?: Yes, of course.

One thing I request is that my tutor respect that I have other things to do and Competitive battling is not the only thing that I wish to do in my free time. Nevertheless, I will spend a lot of time w/ my tutor trying to learn.

Blackmag228
02-29-2008, 12:14 PM
Accepted. And again, I ask Fire Away if he can work with korey.

Fire Away
03-02-2008, 06:52 AM
Lol wow, I feel guilty for not spotting this (or the PMs :oops: ) sooner.

I wouldn't mind helping him out in whatever way I could.

Mitsuzo-kun
03-02-2008, 11:22 AM
Which Instant Messenger application do you prefer and what is your Screen Name?: AIM - JacksonPkmn, MSN - jwingar(AT)hotmail(DOT)com <--- lol
What is your shoddy battle nickname?: djax94
What are your available online hours?: Whenever, really. I speak to a lot of people who're most likely to sign up as a tutor anyways.
Do you promise to try to learn as best as you can and not to make your tutor's job harder?: Obviously. :P

I have been trying with this competitive battling, and I'm not too bad. I just need some help. D:

Blackmag228
03-02-2008, 03:23 PM
Which Instant Messenger application do you prefer and what is your Screen Name?: AIM - JacksonPkmn, MSN - jwingar(AT)hotmail(DOT)com <--- lol
What is your shoddy battle nickname?: djax94
What are your available online hours?: Whenever, really. I speak to a lot of people who're most likely to sign up as a tutor anyways.
Do you promise to try to learn as best as you can and not to make your tutor's job harder?: Obviously. :P

I have been trying with this competitive battling, and I'm not too bad. I just need some help. D:

Accepted. It's alright fire away. It seems that so far you are the only tutor, and we have 3 students. We will both have to tutor, you will have to take more than one or a combination of the two.

Pulse
03-02-2008, 03:39 PM
Which Instant Messengar application do you prefer and what is your Screen Name?: AIM - TheNegativePu1se

What is your shoddy battle nickname?: .Pulse.

What are your available online hours?: Almost every night barring some Fridays and Sundays.

Do you promise to honor your commitment as a tutor: I do.

Why do you think you would be a good tutor?: I've had much experience in the OU metagame and I am good at dissecting teams to see what is missing. I'm not the best of team builders, but I am even working with a Smogoner to help me with this negative spot in my game. I do have, however, excellent prediction skills and I am available a lot so my tutor and I can have numerous battles and we will work towards morphing them into an elite battler.

Blackmag228
03-02-2008, 04:42 PM
Accepted. We need one more tutor now, possibly me.

Oxygen
03-08-2008, 12:21 PM
Student!

Which Instant Messenger application do you prefer and what is your Screen Name?: AIM- Politoed Prince
What is your shoddy battle nickname?: Magnezone
What are your available online hours?: GMT- 3:15-5:00 [mon-fri] GMT-10:00-8:00 [Sat-Sun]
Do you promise to try to learn as best as you can and not to make your tutor's job harder?: Yea!

Blackmag228
03-08-2008, 02:40 PM
Student!

Which Instant Messenger application do you prefer and what is your Screen Name?: AIM- Politoed Prince
What is your shoddy battle nickname?: Magnezone
What are your available online hours?: GMT- 3:15-5:00 [mon-fri] GMT-10:00-8:00 [Sat-Sun]
Do you promise to try to learn as best as you can and not to make your tutor's job harder?: Yea!

Pending acception. There are no more available tutors but you get first dibs if someone signs up. Right now, you can pm any tutor from the list and ask them to take you on as a second tutor.
Edit: And nice... Location?

Oxygen
03-08-2008, 03:51 PM
I'll wait for now.

Blackmag228
03-24-2008, 12:27 PM
With a failure for Djax or Korey to respond by PM, I dub them inactive and since they did not re-apply for tutoring I am assuming they won't, by giving their reserved spot with their previous tutor to someone else. Sorry as I've been behind on this, my vacation ended a while ago and I just got off for Easter. The matches are to be posted today.

Dude7
03-24-2008, 02:06 PM
I want in

Blackmag228
03-24-2008, 08:26 PM
I'm sorry but please use the application form on the first post for "in". Since you may be a better match for a tutor than S. C. then, I will wait til about 7 eastern tonight to post the matches.
Edit: Fire Away and Spinarak Craney are now matched.

korey19
04-02-2008, 02:49 AM
I'm sorry but please use the application form on the first post for "in". Since you may be a better match for a tutor than S. C. then, I will wait til about 7 eastern tonight to post the matches.
Edit: Fire Away and Spinarak Craney are now matched.
Well, I was active, and never got a PM.
Anyways, if its easier, i now have aim. [[koreydapuddinman]]
So, if i have to wait till next round, that is fine.

~korey

Mitsuzo-kun
04-02-2008, 02:59 AM
OMG SORRY.

I completely forgot about this since me and Pulse hardly spoke, except for one time on AIM to verify what needed to be done.

Uber sorry. Can I be moved onto the student list again?

;3

TacoMan
04-02-2008, 04:48 AM
Which Instant Messengar application do you prefer and what is your Screen Name?:Aim(Soccerbum620)
What is your shoddy battle nickname?:Don't have shoddy
What are your available online hours?: Im usually on between 2 pm through 6 pm.
Do you promise to honor your commitment as a tutor(you may leave when the session is done if you would like, just PM me to take you off the tutor list): I agree
Why do you think you would be a good tutor?: I am respected in the competitive online battling, from others perspectives they say I am a good battle, I know what Iv's and Ev's are and I can teach the basic strategy and meta game well.