PDA

View Full Version : Gastly/Haunter/Gengar

Thunderbird
03-22-2004, 10:46 AM
Gastly/Haunter/Gengar's weaknesses are Ground, Psychic, Ghost and Dark. But start from FR/LG, they have the ability Levitate, which prevents them from being hit by ground type attacks.
Dark types, however, cannot be obtained until u recieve the national pokedex (that is after defeating the elite 4).
Meanwhile, although Psychic is s/e to poison, but Ghost is s/e to psychic too.
Ghost <> Ghost are super effective.

Does this makes Gastly/Haunter/Gengar in Pokemon tower become super powerful?? :confused:

Pokemon World Mazter
03-22-2004, 02:16 PM
Gastly/Haunter/Gengar's weaknesses are Ground, Psychic, Ghost and Dark. But start from FR/LG, they have the ability Levitate, which prevents them from being hit by ground type attacks.
Dark types, however, cannot be obtained until u recieve the national pokedex (that is after defeating the elite 4).
Meanwhile, although Psychic is s/e to poison, but Ghost is s/e to psychic too.
Ghost <> Ghost are super effective.

Does this makes Gastly/Haunter/Gengar in Pokemon tower become super powerful?? :confused:

Wow.. I never noticed that. Well it looks like Ghosts arent going to have a major weakness. Very good inference! I had planned to have a Gengar in FR/LG, so now I have more reasons why I should have it :smile:

boltAge
03-22-2004, 02:47 PM
No. Seriously, don't listen to the other n00bs(except some) that post here after me, because you will never get a decent reply in this board with n00bs flying around like mosquitoes.

Gastly/Haunter/Gengar's weaknesses are Ground, Psychic, Ghost and Dark

Ground: Levitate can be Skill Swapped, anyways, it doesn't matter.

Psychic: Gengar CANNOT OHKO most Psychics, with Gengar's extremely low attack stats, even with STAB it cannot OHKO most psychics.

Ghost: A lot of non-ghosts has Shadow Ball(eg. Slaking, Snorlax, etc.), so you're doomster if you meet up with non-ghost that have Shadow Ball.

Gengar dies from practically everything anyways...

Ironshell Blastoise
03-22-2004, 07:00 PM
Ok, it's nice to see a Pokemon with one or two immunities. Gengar now has 3. Gorund, Normal, and Fighting, and he is also immune to instant poisoning moves, such as Poisonpowder and Toxic. That is awesome. Now, I know Gengar was made to use Special Attacks, but there is a 1337 set running around that goes off of Physical Attack power for Gengar.

@leftovers/lum
Levitate
Adamant(+Attack -Special Attack)
Max Speed and Attack EVs (252 each) last 6 into HP
-Substitute
-Focus Punch
-Sludge Bomb
-Shadow Ball/Thunderbolt

The Gengay set. This is a monstrosity. Sub up and wreck havoc with FP. Because the actual Pokemon must be hit for FP to fail, Sub cancels that problem. Even with the -Special attack personality, it's Special Attack would still be good enough for Thunderbolt.

DoomDesire
03-22-2004, 08:49 PM
A little bit ofending because I guess I'm considered a "n00b". I am for a fact gettign a Gengar in the game eventually too. kholdstaire why would you have focus punch on him with no spore? There are still plenty of types that will make him screw up without the focus punch+spore=combo. :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

Ironshell Blastoise
03-22-2004, 09:53 PM
A little bit ofending because I guess I'm considered a "n00b". I am for a fact gettign a Gengar in the game eventually too. kholdstaire why would you have focus punch on him with no spore? There are still plenty of types that will make him screw up without the focus punch+spore=combo. :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

ROFL

Hate to burst your bubble, but Gengar doesn't learn Spore. Try Hypnosis, maybe, but that has nothing to do with the combo. Substitute+Focus Punch is 1337, end of story. Gengar is a good idea to counter Normal, Ground, and Fighting type moves though. Trust me, once you see a Gengar with that set in action, you won't want to use him for special attacks anymore. Plus he can now get STAB from Sludge Bomb and Shadowpal.

Sub screws up Status and helps Focus Punch work. Since Gengay is fast, he'd Sub before the opponent tried to status him (more than likely, there are a few faster Poke's, but on the whole, Gengay is faster). Since they must break the Substitute, you can Focus Punch. Ow.

DoomDesire
03-22-2004, 09:58 PM
Sorry to burst your bubble but re read what I put. Take the time and read it! I said he doesnt learn spore so theres no point in Focus Punch!!!!!! :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty:

Ironshell Blastoise
03-22-2004, 10:00 PM
The way you wrote it made it seem like you were trying to say he learned Spore. And you still don't understand the combo, so don't worry about it anymore.

DoomDesire
03-22-2004, 10:07 PM
Actually I do. Anything that can make it so as your pokemon with focus punch doesnt flinch by a connecting move. So quit judging people and acting like a n00b! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Ironshell Blastoise
03-22-2004, 10:11 PM
Thats quite a hypocritical statement you put at the end there, oh smart one.

And the combo has nothing to do with flinching either. Please remove head from rectum then post.

DoomDesire
03-22-2004, 10:22 PM
If the pokemon flinches he can't move :doh: :exclaim: So an attack that lands on him will screw up the combo. I know what Im talking about. Nice comeback from someone who can't even properly read. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Ironshell Blastoise
03-22-2004, 10:36 PM
If the pokemon flinches he can't move :doh: :exclaim: So an attack that lands on him will screw up the combo. I know what Im talking about. Nice comeback from someone who can't even properly read. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

That coming from someone who can't type properly half the time.

And if YOU could read, I said he is faster than most other Pokemon. You can't make a Substitute flinch anway, and in order to make the opponent flinch, you must attack first. Lets see, Ninjask can't make him flinch. Electrode can't make him flinch. Mewtwo would just kill him. Aerodactyl is the only one that would make him flinch, but then again, only a ******* would leave in that Gengar to an Aerodactyl or Mewtwo. Know what you are talking about before you post. If you max out Gengay's speed, not a lot will be faster than him, therefore, flinching is not that much of a problem. kthnxbai

DoomDesire
03-22-2004, 10:40 PM
Trust me I know what I am talking about. If I didn't this hole conflict wouldn't of happened in the first place. Try explaining this to someone who cares because it's directed towards me and I already know all about the combo. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: Try again on the insult there pal. :clap:

New_York_Groudon
03-22-2004, 10:43 PM
also take into account that there will new pokemon

Ironshell Blastoise
03-22-2004, 10:56 PM
I have already played the FrLg gameplay, I know what its like. If I didn't know what the gameplay was gonna be like, I wouldn't have talked about how 1337 it was. I know what there is in FrLG game environments, and I may not be the best, but it appears me and boltAge are the only ones who have been exposed to it.

NYG, that should answer your post.

I refuse to continue this argument. If you already knew all about the combo that I posted and explained, then you wouldn't have made the n00bish comments that you have posted. Flinch isn't a serious problem to that Gengar setup, status isn't a problem either. Yes a lucky Quick Claw Spore or flinching move could screw it up slightly, but the chances of someone using QC and Spore or a Flinching move and it working in their advantage is slim. Its not a perfect set, but it sure gets the job done. I just see you posting all of your responses because you refuse to be wrong. The difference between me posting and you posting is that you just want to be right, and I have more to base my statements on than you do. Come back when you have played in the FrLg environment, and really know what you are talking about. kthnxbai. done. lock this plz, its become a flamewar anyway.

DoomDesire
03-23-2004, 12:23 AM
*Peace* :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

I think overall the Moveset is good for Gengar and he is gonna be on almost everyones team because he is very playable!

Ironshell Blastoise
03-23-2004, 12:37 AM
Peace sounds good to me.

Jirachi
03-23-2004, 04:12 AM
That's great.Now they aren't as weak.

Steven
04-10-2004, 09:50 AM
What about a Sableye and Shedinja... If you could only swap their skills Sableye would be the best because it has no weaknesses and he is ghost/dark right? That would be interesting... :twisted:

boltAge
04-10-2004, 09:55 AM
What about a Sableye and Shedinja... If you could only swap their skills Sableye would be the best because it has no weaknesses and he is ghost/dark right? That would be interesting... :twisted:
Sandstorm/Hail, Toxic, Will-O-Wisp, etc.

I think this has been tried on Netbattle by some people with Gardevoirs and Porygons/Porygon 2's, but it seems it was a bug or something.

BTW old thread.

kholdstaire: Oh yeah, I forgot, Rock Blast bursts your bubble. So Armaldo(And some others who learns Rock Blast) kills sub, and the rest of the Rock Blasts will just make Gengar's Focus Punch fail.

Steven
04-10-2004, 10:02 AM
... How can there be so many old threads on the first page... there should be some sort of exception... :mad: I'm just used to all the threads on the first page being recent that I don't think about it... sorry for causing anyone pain for my posting in such old of topics....

Nohman
04-10-2004, 01:34 PM
You're making an argument over a minor thing in a gameboy game...that's where the geekiness starts to show through. :twisted:

boltAge
04-10-2004, 01:40 PM
You're making an argument over a minor thing in a gameboy game...that's where the geekiness starts to show through. :twisted:
We're not arguing, we're debating. If nobody bothered to debate about these Pokemon stuff, we will be having growl, tail whip, tackle, thundershock on Raichu.

Nohman
04-10-2004, 01:41 PM
We're not arguing, we're debating. If nobody bothered to debate about these Pokemon stuff, we will be having growl, tail whip, tackle, thundershock on Raichu.

...I meant on the first page.

Thunderbird
04-10-2004, 01:43 PM
and i'm not talking about a minor thing :rolleyes:
if i talk about a minor thing i'll just post it in the general chit-chat thread.

boltAge
04-10-2004, 01:43 PM
...I meant on the first page.
You mean the flamewar between the venusaur avatar dude and khold? :\ Well, um, right. But it usually happens because one party is ignorant/n00bish.

crazy blue eyes
04-16-2004, 06:53 AM
so sometimes i think,ability is troublesome.i prefer not to have ability like ghost pokemon,koffing and weezing!

AltariaTamer
04-24-2004, 07:00 AM
I have already played the FrLg gameplay, I know what its like. If I didn't know what the gameplay was gonna be like, I wouldn't have talked about how 1337 it was. I know what there is in FrLG game environments, and I may not be the best, but it appears me and boltAge are the only ones who have been exposed to it.

NYG, that should answer your post.

I refuse to continue this argument. If you already knew all about the combo that I posted and explained, then you wouldn't have made the n00bish comments that you have posted. Flinch isn't a serious problem to that Gengar setup, status isn't a problem either. Yes a lucky Quick Claw Spore or flinching move could screw it up slightly, but the chances of someone using QC and Spore or a Flinching move and it working in their advantage is slim. Its not a perfect set, but it sure gets the job done. I just see you posting all of your responses because you refuse to be wrong. The difference between me posting and you posting is that you just want to be right, and I have more to base my statements on than you do. Come back when you have played in the FrLg environment, and really know what you are talking about. kthnxbai. done. lock this plz, its become a flamewar anyway.

kholdstaire is right here. All he is trying to tell you that you use SUBSTITUTE, then you use FOCUS PUNCH. How hard is that DD? Stop your n00bish behavior, and I PM'd this to a mod, so maybe it will get locked per your request kholdstaire.

boltAge
04-24-2004, 08:49 AM
kholdstaire is right here. All he is trying to tell you that you use SUBSTITUTE, then you use FOCUS PUNCH. How hard is that DD? Stop your n00bish behavior, and I PM'd this to a mod, so maybe it will get locked per your request kholdstaire.
I don't think bringing up a flamewar which is in an old thread helps.

And what he means is this.

GENGAR USED SUBSTITUTE!
ENEMY USED SOMETHING!

GENGAR IS FOCUSSING.
ENEMY HITS GENGAR. GENGAR'S SUB BREAKS.
GENGAR USES FOCUS PUNCH! POOF!

Gengar's Substitute prevents Gengar from being hit, and Focus Punch failing. Even if Sub is destroyed by the opponent, Gengar will not be damaged, so FPunch would hit the opponent. Although there are counters like Rock Blast that hit multiple times a turn...

Nefarious
05-18-2004, 05:07 PM
Well since Gengar is my fav pokemon, I am definately gonna get him no matter what.

Ironshell Blastoise
05-22-2004, 05:04 AM
Probably one of my fave parts about Gengay now is that even WITHOUT Special Attack EVs and WITH a Special Attack lowering personality, its Special Attack (max) is 267, which is above average. Awesome.

Blissey dais to Gengar. Skarm dais to Gengar. Snorlax dais to Gengar (sometimes). Ludicolo dais to Gengar. Umbreon dais to Gengar.

Sub/FP/T-Bolt/Shadowpal=best set

Even if you have to resort to using Shadowpal a couple times, it can lower Special Defense, which ROX with T-Bolt.

BTW, go ahead and lock. Only nubs can argue against Gengar being good :rolleyes:

Cipher Chad
06-02-2004, 07:50 PM
Oh, I never thought about that! Kind of figures, because I haven't studied Ghost type stuff yet. Anyway, I think that it was very observant of you to figure that out!