PDA

View Full Version : Mana's URPG Reffing Guide [USEFUL]

mlugia
05-02-2005, 01:38 AM
Yeah, I started working on a mechanics thread last summer, before life called and gave me a new life to replace my existing one :/ Do with this what Jack will, I doubt I'd ever finish it :s

The URPG Mechanics Thread

So, you want to know how things work in the URPG! No matter if you're a ref looking for brushing up your skills, or a new user trying to understand how things work, this thread is for you!

How to use this thread: If you're looking for a specific move, used the SEARCH function (Ctrl+F) on the page and type in the movename to go there quickly. Otherwise, scroll.

Basics
First off, before we go onto how moves work, we need to know a few things...

Rolling Dice - AOL/AIM Chatrooms
To Roll a die, type in the chatroom (without quotation marks) "//roll-sidesX-diceY" or "//roll-diceY-sidesX"
X is a number from 1 to 999, Y is a number from 1 to 15.

Reffing Tools
These things help you ref faster and more accurately than your calculator.
(mlugia's choice)
Battle Stat Calc: http://pokedex.kary.ca
An .XLS file, it's easy to use, I'll walk through all its functions in a seperate post.

The Battle Damage Formula
The URPG is based upon AVERAGE damage from the same formula that is used in the actual game.

Type Matchups
Hopefully you won't have trouble deciphering the little icons.

NOTE
A few rules about type matchups:
The type chart only applies to moves that cause damage. A pokemon that is resistant or immune to a certain type on the chart will not be resistant or immune to non-damaging moves of that type. There ARE exceptions, listed below:

http://img66.imageshack.us/img66/7311/typechart.jpg
But if you do...
Normal-Fire-Water-Electric-Grass-Ice-Fighting-Poison-Ground-Flying-Psychic-Bug-Rock-Ghost-Dragon-Dark-Steel
Vertical is the attacker, horizontal is defender.

Exceptions:
A few rules about type matchups:
A pokemon that is resistant or immune to a certain type on the chart will not be resistant or immune to non-damaging moves of that type.

Steel types are not affected by any poison type attack. The only way to poison a steel pokemon is with Twin Needle.

Ground types are not affected by any electric type attack, including Thunder Wave.

Formula:
((2L / 5 + 2) * B * A / 50 / D + 2) * T * M * 236 / 255; rounded down

L = Level of attacker
B = Base Damage
A = Corresponding Attack stat
D = Corresponding Defense stat
T = STAB (1 or 1.5) Boost item's 1.1 multiplier also adds to this value to make 1.1 or 1.65.
M = Type Modifier (4, 2, 1, 0.5, 0.25 or 0)

Critical Hits
Critical Hits worked somewhat differently in GSC and RS, I'll explain both here.

Critical Hit Growth Scale
Critical Hit ratio do have levels, and it is as follows:
http://img47.imageshack.us/img47/1903/critical.jpg

Boosts
Things that add to the level of Critical hit chance:
http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/8633/critical2.jpg

How to determine a Critical Hit
As you can see, there is a chance each turn of having a move Critically hit the opponent. To do so, we need to master the art of rolling dice in AOL/AIM Chatrooms... Now, each of the CH dice you roll should be out of 256 sides. (Some refs use 100, some use 16. I'll explain the difference in a minute)

Now let's roll. Suppose the move is a normal move, so say Tackle hits. We roll the 256 side die, and the program says: 12. How do we determine a CH? Easy! If you look at the value next to each level, just assume any number from 1 to that number is a CH, and any other number is not! So if you rolled a 12, which is between 1 and 16, then it is a critical hit!

16 side die: The 16 side die is the same as the 256 (16/256 = 1/16, you see). That's why mlugia prefers to roll a 16 side die, easy and effective. Most refs set 1 as the CH, but mlugia likes to make 16 the CH number, a matter of preference.

100 side die: The URPG has refs who prefer to set CH rate to 6%. That is not how the game operates, but perhaps in the URPG it is ok. (rolling 1-6 = CH, 7-100 = no CH).

NOTE: CH chance cannot go above Level 4, even if you get Farfetch'ed with Stick to use Slash after a Focus energy. It will still be Lv 4.

Stat Boost and Critical Hits
GSC
In GSC mode, if a Critical hit occurs, there are 2 situations: Either the user deals more damage with all the stat changes on, or it deals more with all stat changes off. The game will choose the way that deals more damage.

Eg: Snorlax has 4 curses for a +4 defense, but Scizor only has 1 swords dance for +2 attack. The game will not factor in these stat changes if Scizor gets a CH since it would do more damage.
Eg2: Scizor has 3 Swords dance and Leered Snorlax twice, to make Lax -2 defense. A Critical hit will factor all of these in.

RS, FR, LG
From RS and onwards, all you need to remember is this:

Stat changes that put the attacking stat above normal are retained
Stat changes that put the attacking stat below normal are ignored
Stat changes that put the defensive stat above normal are ignored
Stat changes that put the defensive stat below normal are retained

Stat Changes
Normal Stat Growth
http://img48.imageshack.us/img48/5549/statgrow.jpg

Accuracy/Evasion Growth
http://img48.imageshack.us/img48/3029/statgrowacc.jpg

Moves that change stats
http://img60.imageshack.us/img60/4164/statsummary.jpg

Explanation
Normal Growth Scale: For all stats (atk/def/spA/spD/speed). Basically, after a pokemon raises its stats, just multiply its stat in question by the associated % or Fraction. Note: If a pokemon uses a boost move and then has that stat lowered, figure out where it stands in terms of the actual level. Eg: 1 sharpen + 2 charms = -3 attack, and then use the fraction in the -3 attack section to figure out its new attack power.

Evasion Scale: Same thing.

How to ref with Evasion and Accuracy
This is a toughie, right? Nah. Basically, if you used DT, it's a positive growth, so roll the associated # dice. If you also lowered your opponent's acc, it's also a positive growth, so roll another die!

Examples
Raichu has 3 DTs (+3 eva) and sand-attacked the enemy Sandslash twice (+2 eva). Sandslash used Earthquake!
First, we roll for Sandslash a 5 sided die (+2, 3/5), and 1-3 = bypass the sand attack. Say.. it rolled a 2, so it passed.
Now we roll for Raichu's DT, a 6 sided die, 1-3 = hit. Sandslash gets a 4! That means Earthquake missed!

Now, what if Sandslash used fissure? Well, let's assume he gets through the evasion. Then all we do is roll a 100 sided die! If the dice lands between 1 and the accuracy of the attack, the attack hits! (Fissure has 30 accuracy, so 1-30 = hit!)

Status Conditions
And how to ref them.
(Note: There are some quirky glitches when PRZ and BRN meets stat growth in that category, but I assume it's too complicated for URPG refs to bother with, so they aren't included)
(Note 2: GSC and RS handles some things differently, I'll make a note.)

NOTE: For all status effects and other things that deal Indirect damage (like Burn dmg), GSC and RS/FR/LG handles it differently.
GSC: The afflicted pokemon takes the damage right after it's turn to attack, (Also applies if it fails to attack that turn, eg: ___ is confused and whack self! Burn hits! Enemy attacks!) Not at the end of the turn.
RS: All indirect damages take place after both mons have made their moves. (Eg: pokemon A atks, mon B atks, mon A suffers Burn, mon B suffers Leech seed)

Permanant Status Conditions (They stay around even if you switch out)
Burn
Burn will deal 1/8 of the pokemon's HP per round. 1/8 is 12.5% of the Mon's HP. In a 10HP system, it is equal to 1.25HP. Burn is an indirect damage (see Note above). Burn will also cause the user's currant physical attack to drop by 50%. (Multiply its attack by 0.5 or divide by 2). This attack reduction stays in play until the pokemon is no longer Burnt.
A Fire type pokemon can NEVER be burned by a fire attack. They CAN be burned by Tri-Attack.

Freeze
Freeze incapacitates your pokemon. A frozen pokemon's user may call attacks, but the mon will not attack with it unless it is Sacred Fire, Flame wheel, or it is thawed from the frozen state. Sacred fire and Flame Wheel also thaws the user.
An Ice type pokemon can NEVER be frozen by an ice attack. They CAN be frozen by Tri-Attack.
Free has a 10% chance of defrosting per round, before the frozen pokemon attacks. (Except in RBY, where it is 0%)

Paralysis
A paralyzed pokemon has a 25% chance of not being able to attack each turn. Roll a die (preferably 100, but can go as small as 4), and the first 1/4 of the possible rolls dictates a FULLY PARALYZED situation. (100 side die, 1-25 = FP, 4 side die, 1 = FP). As well, a Paralyzed pokemon's speed is lowered to 1/4 (25%) of its current value. This speed reduction stays in play until the pokemon is no longer Paralyzed.

Poison
A poisoned pokemon takes 1/8th of its Max HP as damage each turn. (12.5% out of 100%, 1.25HP out of 10HP)
A Poison type pokemon can Never be Poisoned.

mlugia
05-02-2005, 01:38 AM
Toxic
A Poison type pokemon can Never be toxic'd.
Toxic is handled differently in RS and GSC.
A Toxic'd pokemon takes 1/16 of its max HP on turn 1 (6.25%, 0.625 damage out of 10HP).
Each round, the damage increases. The formula is X/16, where X is the number of turns the pokemon has been toxic poisoned. So, on turn 2, it takes 2/16 (1/8, 12.5%), and on turn 3, 3/16, etc. until the damage reaches 16/16, where the pokemon automatically faints.

GSC When a pokemon who is toxic'd switches out, the Toxic becomes normal POISON and follows the rules for poison. (see above). When a Toxic'd pokemon Baton passes to a normal poisoned pokemon, the normal poisoned pokemon will become TOXIC poisoned. (Eg: Umbreon takes toxic, passes to a PSN Charizard. Charizard is now toxic'd)

RS/FR/LG A pokemon who switches out has the toxic counter reset to turn 1, where it takes 1/16 damage. The poison does not turn back to normal poison. Baton passing a toxic'd pokemon onto a normal poisoned pokemon will not pass the toxic status.

Sleep
Sleep causes your pokemon to be immobilized, like Freeze. A sleeping pokemon's owner MUST call an attack due to the chance of waking up. A sleeping pokemon may use the moves SNORE and SLEEP TALK.
The Duration of Sleep is 1-7 turns. This means a 7 sided die is rolled. The pokemon will wake up on the rolled turn. Note: A turn is only counted as a turn slept if the pokemon used SNORE, SLEEP TALK, or had a "___ is fast asleep!" message.

Eg: Charizard is put to sleep. You roll a 1. Charizard will wake up the moment it is his turn to attack next.
Eg 2: Charizard is put to sleep. You roll a 5. Charizard will wake up after 4 total messages of either Snore/Sleeptalk or Fast asleep messages. (That means 2 snores, 1 sleep talk and 1 fast asleep message counts as 4 too).

Temporary Status Conditions (They disappear either on their own or after you switch out.)
NOTE: Temp Statuses Conditions can co-exist with Permanent and other Temp statuses. Eg: A mon can be PRZ, Confused AND attracted at the same time.

Confusion:
A confused pokemon has a 50% chance of hitting self. Roll an even numbered die, and half the numbers will be set to hitting self. Eg: 2 side, 1 = hit self, 2 = do called attack.
Confusion lasts 1-4 turns, where the pokemon snaps out of confusion on the rolled turn. (Roll a 4 sided die) Each turn passes as the confused pokemon makes a move, be it attacking normally or hitting self, until it reaches the snap out turn.
The damage done to the confused pokemon by whacking self is equal to a 40 powered, No-STAB, 1x effective attack to the pokemon using that pokemon's attack and defense values. Note: Reflect does not halve Confusion damage.

Attraction
An attracted pokemon has a 50% chance of being immobilized by love (Will not attack). Like Confusion, roll an even numbered die, and half the numbers will be set to not attacking instead of attacking.
Attraction does not cause self damage, and will only disappear if either the user of Attract or the affected pokemon leaves the field.

MOVE INFORMATION
Yes, the meat of this guide. This section will explain every single move in existance and how they work. Steps to reffing them will be listed.

Standard Damage Attacks
The normal attacks, such as Mega Punch, Tackle, Flamethrower, Surf, etc.
- Roll for Accuracy (If applicable.)
- Roll for Critical Hit
- Roll for Side Effect (If applicable). a 10% chance means 1/10, or 10/100, eg.

Pure Stat Changing Moves
These attacks are all listed in the big big chart in the Stat Growth section.
- Make changes to the pokemon's stats accordingly.
- Note: If Stat changing is the side effect of a move, use the Standard Damage atk procedure to calculate Damage first.

Absorb/Leech Life/Mega Drain/Giga Drain/Dream Eater
These moves drain life from the enemy.
- Normal damage calculation steps
- In RAW damage form (eg: 62HP dealt, not 13.5% to Chinchou.), divide the raw damage by 2. (eg: 62/2 = 31)
- Recover that raw damage to the user, after converting to % form. (eg: 31/324 or osmething)

Aeroblast/Air Cutter/Blaze Kick/Crabhammer/Cross Chop/Karate Chop/Leaf Blade/Poison Tail/Razor Leaf/Razor Wind/Slash
These moves have a higher CH rate.
- See Standard Damage attacks.
- When Rolling for Critical hits, the CH level of these moves being at 2. (check CH Levels above to see what that means)
- All other side effects/accuracy are the same.

Arm Thrust/Barrage/Bone Rush/Bullet Seed/Comet Punch/Doubleslap/Fury Attack/Fury Swipes/Icicle Spear/Pin Missile/Rock Blast/Spike Cannon
These attacks hit from 2-5 times per turn when used.
- Roll a 4 sided die. The number of hits for this use will be the number+1 (eg: roll a 1, Barrage hits twice).
- These attacks have a seperate CH roll for each hit. (Eg: hit 5 times, roll 5 diff 16-side dice)
- If the opponent has a sub, Check for sub's breaking after each Hit. If it breaks before the attack ends, the rest of the hits deal directly to the pokemon. (eg: 5 hits, sub breaks on hit 3, then hits 4 and 5 will hit the mon behind the sub.)
- If counter is used, counter will only reflect the LAST hit, which means 1 of the hits dealt to the enemy. (Eg: I hit you 5 times with pin missile, you counter, you will only counter back 2x the damage of ONE of those hits.)
- In RS mode, Destiny bond is not triggered if the user is fainted by a Multi Hit move.

Aromatherapy/Heal Bell
These 2 moves restore status to all members.
- When used, the user's team will loser all of their permenant status effects that are present (see above for Perm stat info). This does not include Fainting. This move will wake the user up if sleep talk summons it.

Attract
This move causes the ATTRACT temporary condition in the enemy.
- This move only works if user is of the opposite Gender to the target. (Genderless does not count as a gender.)

Baton Pass
- To be done later...

Bonemerang/Double Kick
These attacks always hit twice.
- They are similar to other multi hit moves. Search for "Arm Thrust" to find their data.

Hail/Sandstorm
These attacks causes the weather to change for 5 turns, starting from the turn the attack is used. After the fifth turn, the weather effect disappears. It will also disappear if another weather effect move is used (Such as sunny day). Finally, The following effects do not come into play if Air Lock is in play. However, the flavor text for the weather is still present. (Eg: The sunlight is strong)
- Hail: All non-Ice type pokemon will take damage each turn.
- Sandstorm: All non-Ground/Rock/Steel pokemon will take damage each turn.
GSC: Each turn, the pokemon will take 12.5% HP damage per turn.
RS: Each turn, the pokemon will take 6.25% HP damage per turn. As well, Weather Ball's power is doubled under these weather effects. Finally, Blizzard is 100% accurate under Hail.

Rain Dance
These attacks causes the weather to change for 5 turns, starting from the turn the attack is used. After the fifth turn, the weather effect disappears. It will also disappear if another weather effect move is used (Such as sunny day). Finally, The following effects do not come into play if Air Lock is in play. However, the flavor text for the weather is still present. (Eg: The sunlight is strong)
GSC
- Water attacks power +50%
- Fire attacks power -50%
- Thunder's Accuracy = Auto-hit, ignores accuracy and evasion.
- Synthesis, Moonlight, Morning sun heals 50% less (In link battles, heals 25% from normal 50%)
RS
- All GSC effects.
- Swift Swim pokemon doubles speed during rain.
- Rain dish pokemon recovers 1/16 of Max HP (6.25%) at the end of each turn during rain.
- Rain dance cannot be used during rain to reset the rain counter, unlike in GSC.

Sunny Day
GSC
- Fire attacks power +50%
- Water attacks power -50%
- Solar beam ignores the charging turn, becoming a 1-turn attack.
- Synthesis, Moonlight, Morning sun heals 50% more. (In link battles, heals 100% from normal 50%)
- Thunder's accuracy is lowered to 50%.
RS
- Everything in the GSC section, and the following:
- Sunny Day cannot be used during sun to reset the sun counter, unlike GSC.
- Chlorophyll Trait doubles Pokemon's speed during sunlight.

Triple Kick
This attack hits 3 times.
- The attack power for each hit is 10, 20 and 30 respectively.
- This attack is similar to other multi hit moves. Search for "Arm Thrust" to find its data.

Twin Needle
This attack hit twice, and has a 20% chance of poisoning the opponent after all the damage is dealt.
- This attack is similar to other multi hit moves. Search for "Arm Thrust" to find its data.
- After dealing damage, roll for the 20% effect of poison. This applies to Steel Type pokemon as well.

And yeah, that's all I had so far...

Tamer San
05-02-2005, 07:15 AM
This is the most helpful URPG Reffing Guide I have ever read, you should have done this a long time ago. I recommend moving the thread to URPG: Battles" board and sticky it there. Vunderful job Mana ^^

Jack of Clovers
05-02-2005, 09:09 AM
great work. :mrgreen:

with Syas's thread, now this one, my plan to update the Perfect Reffing Method thread will come alot sooner. for now, i'll definitely sticky this.

Steel types are not affected by any poison type attack. The only way to poison a steel pokemon is with...
with what? :tongue: don't leave everyone in suspense man.

~Jack~

bronislav84
05-02-2005, 09:23 AM
DC and Daz graciously have checked raw output for this formula and Figgy's and they are the same. I was worried for a second, since I use a Program of my own design (which is based on Figgy's formula), so I'd have to make some changes to it. Thankfully, the numbers are the same.

If somebody could host my program for me, and update the link with new versions, I'd love to have mine added to the program list. It's a good alternative for people without Excel, but it's less automated.

About the rest fo the stuff. This is a great thread. The info is solid and compiled into one location.

I just found one mistake. The only way to poison a steel pokemon is with With what?

Edit: Crap. Jack said it before me.

mlugia
05-02-2005, 04:58 PM
My mistake, it's with TwinNeedle, courtesy of your favorite bee :)

Syas
05-03-2005, 04:49 PM
First, let me say that this is an awesome tool, and will be very helpful. One issue though :oops:

Regarding CH %:

When I was taught how to Ref CHs, I was told:

"Only moves that have a 'High Chance of Critical' can actually score a CH in URPG, we don't roll on anything else unless they have used Focus Energy. Those moves CH 30% of the time."

From what I have seen being reffed, this is the standard for URPG.

My question is two-fold,

Am I wrong?
If not, which way is the way URPG Refs will handle CHs from now on?

mlugia
05-03-2005, 05:06 PM
Well, that was the hot button topic for quite awhile. Some believed that reffing CHs regularly took too much effort and time for refs, so it should be eliminated. From what I know, refs who wanted to ref w/ CHs do that, others don't. At least, back when I had time to ref, I did ._.

Loyal Arcanine
05-03-2005, 05:24 PM
Great thingie, will surely be helpful.

*bows before Mana*

Tamer San
05-04-2005, 07:54 AM
Well, that was the hot button topic for quite awhile. Some believed that reffing CHs regularly took too much effort and time for refs, so it should be eliminated. From what I know, refs who wanted to ref w/ CHs do that, others don't. At least, back when I had time to ref, I did ._.

Well, that's not the reason why CH was dropped from URPG Mana, Curtis or I am not sure whom thought that having double damage due to luck winning the battle according to it is kind of unfair, but it won't be Pokemon without CH so we decided that CH Dice will be only rolled to High CH Ratio attacks (Like Slash, Razor Leaf...ect) or if you used Focus Energy and that's it...

mlugia
05-04-2005, 05:38 PM
Well, I've always argued that the chance for CH is even less than that of say a PAR, or even a FRZ that occurs randomly when an attack is used, so when arguing for luck winning a battle, why not argue status conditions as well? =/

Interesting fact: The base chance for a CH has the same chance of getting two "FULLY PAR" in a row, and is less than the chance for a Freeze from ice beam, and is less than twice the chance of getting 6 turns of sleep before waking up.

Jack of Clovers
05-05-2005, 10:27 AM
ya, we're only going to calculate the high CH attacks.

~Jack~

mlugia
05-05-2005, 05:17 PM
well, I don't quite agree with it, but ok...

*mutters* Lets ban all luck related moves too... :tongue:

Loyal Arcanine
05-05-2005, 07:38 PM

Lol. If you want to do all the effort though, why not? =P

Tamer San
05-05-2005, 10:16 PM

Well, I guess they banned some Pogeys...why not banning moves XD

BTW, your guide needs to add the Hail/Sandstorm damage system to it...I am not familiar with it that I forgot the exact damage of it =\

mlugia
05-06-2005, 01:22 AM
Updated, I did the research all over just for you ;) Actually, it was on my HD anyways since I wrote an article for the PE2K times about weather effects awhile ago XD Never published :(

Marth
05-06-2005, 08:21 PM
Good work Mana!
However, you recomend a normal calculator. You know I added some stuff to that document. So I have a calculator that includes moves, max and base stats, alongside a practical Sheet for 1 vs 1's to 6 vs 6's. Maybe you would like to check it, and put it instead of the refering tool you offer.
Marth.

mlugia
05-06-2005, 09:53 PM
Well, i'd have to see it :o We talk later tonight kk=)

also, I've been tweaking that calculator with my own add ons (I usually assume you know move powers, so I didn't include that XD), such as recoil damage, drain damage, % HP lost, %HP gained, etc. Not completely done yet, but it's almost there. I'm trying to cramp everything onto one sheet since the hotkey for switching between sheets is pretty inconvenient =/

King Zark
06-04-2005, 08:02 PM
sorry to revive an odd thread but I get this reffing stuff i just need some practice fake reffing then i take the test.

I got 1 question if a pokemon attacked and it was CH(Critical Hit) how much more damage does it do? 1.5x more?

Matt
06-04-2005, 08:07 PM
Critical Hits
-------------------
The following moves have a Critical Hit chance of 25%. Critical Hits double the attack damage that turn.
Aeroblast, Air Cutter, Blaze Kick, Crabhammer, Cross Chop, Karate Chop, Leaf Blade, Poison Tail, Razor Leaf, Razor Wind, Slash.
*Focus Energy*
Using this move will grant any move you use to have a 12% chance for Critical Hit. For the moves listed above, it raises to 33% chance.

Read Jack's guide. :P to Mana.

King Zark
06-05-2005, 11:34 AM
All I understand is there is 33% chance it be a CH if you use slash and focus energy but what would be the damage increase?

Tamer San
06-05-2005, 11:39 AM
It doubles the damage, the final damage. :wink:

.AzureLight
02-15-2006, 12:40 AM
I am sorry to bump this, but this guide is very useful, and I think this deserves a sticky, and Mana still needs to finish it. :tongue:

Tamer San
02-15-2006, 12:49 PM
I totaly agree Lan, yet, I have to edit the Title to be more...sticky-able :P

mlugia
02-15-2006, 05:28 PM
I totaly agree Lan, yet, I have to edit the Title to be more...sticky-able :P
But it's incomplete O_O

Tamer San
02-15-2006, 07:03 PM
Complete it then my friend ^_^

When you get your self some time of course, I know you have a busy personal life.

mlugia
02-15-2006, 07:27 PM
Yep, all it needs now is <3 to make me quit the interweb foreva :p

Nah, not really. MS is big now though hehe