PDA

View Full Version : a water style team

Stubby Boardman
04-02-2008, 07:34 PM
I am thinking of making water/rain dance team and am wondering what others will think so here it is...

o yeah I am also thinking of making this a double battle team

my two starters

name: Lanturn
ability: volt absorb
item: choice specs
nature: modest
evs: 255 HP/Spatk
atk1: Thunder/Thunderbolt
atk2: Surf
atk3: Ice Beam
atk4: Hiddon Power (if it is a good type and power I'll use it)

name: Politoed
ability: water absorb
item: leftovers
nature: calm
evs: 255 HP/Spdfe
atk1: Hypnosis
atk2: Haze (for Ninjasks)
atk3: Toxic
atk4: Surf or Focus Blast

The rest of the team

name: Raikou
item: damp rock
nature: timid
evs: Spatk and spd
atk1: rain dance
atk2: Thunder
atk3: calm mind
atk4: shadow ball

name: Ludicolo
ability: Rain Dish
item: leftovers
nature: modest
evs: hp and spatk
atk1: leech Seed
atk2: surf
atk3: toxic
atk4: energy ball/giga drain

name: Toxicroak
ability: Dry Skin
item: leftovers or life orb
nature: adament or jolly
evs: atk and spd
atk1: Sucker Punch/Faint Attack/Pursuit
atk2: rain dance
atk3: cross chop/brick break
atk4: earthquake

name: Seaking
ability: Swift swim
item: damp rock
nature: adament
evs: atk and spd
atk1: rain dance
atk2: return
atk3: flail
atk4: waterfall

ok tell me what you think and thanks.

Ace Master
04-29-2008, 10:40 PM
First Off: Always pair your Lanturn and your Raikou. If your Lanturn is hurt, have Raikou use an electric attack on Lanturn, and Lanturn's HP will be restored by 1/4 max.

The best Pokemon you can have for this team is Kyogre. Its Drizzle will give you a permanent rain. If you do this, you can make the pokemon who know Rain Dance forget it and learn another move.

Make Politoed forget Haze. The chances of it being useful are not good. Teach it Bounce (Move Tutor) or Brick Break if you have it. Make it forget Toxic or Hypnosis. You can't use them together and when it gets right down to it, you don't need both of them. Teach Politoed Secret Power instead. Have it learn Surf. REMEMBER-All water attacks are boosted by 1.5 when it is raining.

If you get Kyogre, make Raikou forget Rain Dance and teach it Crunch(Lv. 43) or Extrasensory(Lv. 64). If the level is too high, teach it Facade. You should have a physical attack in its set. KEEP THUNDER; when it is raining, as you already may know, Thunder's accuracy becomes 100%.

You already have a draining attack for Ludicolo, so make it forget Giga Drain. If you really want it, keep in mind that Giga Drain's recovery effect is halved during rain.

Have Toxicroak hold Leftovers. Make it know Sucker Punch and Brick Break.

Have Seaking learn Megahorn instead of Rain Dance if you get Kyogre. Otherwise, make it forget Flail for Megahorn.

Trust me on these requests. Not to brag, but I am a very experienced pokemon veteran.
you have a very strong team, and these changes will make it much better.

Fire Away
04-29-2008, 11:12 PM
First Off: Always pair your Lanturn and your Raikou. If your Lanturn is hurt, have Raikou use an electric attack on Lanturn, and Lanturn's HP will be restored by 1/4 max.

The best Pokemon you can have for this team is Kyogre. Its Drizzle will give you a permanent rain. If you do this, you can make the pokemon who know Rain Dance forget it and learn another move.

Make Politoed forget Haze. The chances of it being useful are not good. Teach it Bounce (Move Tutor) or Brick Break if you have it. Make it forget Toxic or Hypnosis. You can't use them together and when it gets right down to it, you don't need both of them. Teach Politoed Secret Power instead. Have it learn Surf. REMEMBER-All water attacks are boosted by 1.5 when it is raining.

If you get Kyogre, make Raikou forget Rain Dance and teach it Crunch(Lv. 43) or Extrasensory(Lv. 64). If the level is too high, teach it Facade. You should have a physical attack in its set. KEEP THUNDER; when it is raining, as you already may know, Thunder's accuracy becomes 100%.

You already have a draining attack for Ludicolo, so make it forget Giga Drain. If you really want it, keep in mind that Giga Drain's recovery effect is halved during rain.

Have Seaking learn Megahorn instead of Rain Dance if you get Kyogre. Otherwise, make it forget Flail for Megahorn.

Trust me on these requests. Not to brag, but I am a very experienced pokemon veteran.

Please stop rating teams. If you were so experienced, you'd know that Kyogre is banned from standard play, Raikou has no business with a physical attack, and that Toxic and Hypnosis are perfectly happy to exist on the same set. :|

Ace Master
04-30-2008, 09:55 PM
Hey, man, don't get derogetory!:neutral:

Kyogre can be used in link battles, if you want a permanent rain when you are battling people. Every pokemon should have a physical attack. What if your opponent uses Amnesia, or lowers your pokemon's Sp. Atk stat a lot of times? Then your pokemon's Special Attacks will become very weak, and you want a physical attack to back you up. Besides, if not for an all-powerful attack, you could use it for a finishing move.

If you don't want to listen to me, fine, but don't be offensive.

Fire Away
04-30-2008, 10:06 PM

Kyogre can be used in link battles, if you want a permanent rain when you are battling people. Every pokemon should have a physical attack. What if your opponent uses Amnesia, or lowers your pokemon's Sp. Atk stat a lot of times? Then your pokemon's Special Attacks will become very weak, and you want a physical attack to back you up. Besides, if not for an all-powerful attack, you could use it for a finishing move.

Uh, no. Every Pokemon does not need a physical attack. If your opponent uses Amnesia/lowers your special attack, switch out. You don't need to put bad moves on your set to compensate for that.

Shun Goku Satsu
04-30-2008, 10:08 PM

Where i agree that carrying a physical attack on a special sweeper (or vice versa) proves to be exceptionally effective due to be able to break walls etc, it's not always so. Raikus attack stat would need too much EV investment to make crunch noticabley more powerful than his special attacks and would only hinder his speed or special attack to do so

Ace Master
05-01-2008, 09:44 PM
Alright. I guess he could get by with Special Attacks. I just thought that it might be good to have a physical attack in case the opponent raises its Sp. Def and you have no physical attacks to negate the effects of the Sp. Def raise.

Spongebob Number One Fan
05-01-2008, 11:19 PM
Alright. I guess he could get by with Special Attacks. I just thought that it might be good to have a physical attack in case the opponent raises its Sp. Def and you have no physical attacks to negate the effects of the Sp. Def raise.

Or you just switch to the appropriate counter. You're doing no good rating these teams when it's clear you're not so knowledgeable. We're not trying to be mean, but you simply need to learn about competitive battling.

anyways, that Raikou set...no. Thunderdance is absolutely horrible on Raikou, and on almost all pokemon outside of ubers. You know it's bad when Hippowdon walls you ._. This set is far more effective:

Raikou @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 64 HP / 252 Spd / 96 SAtk / 96 SDef
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Substitute
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

You can play around with the EVs, since Raikou is fairly flexible. Be sure to run max speed though.

Also, rain teams should have more diversity than just a bunch of waters and one or two other pokemon. Otherwise, you're going to get crushed by any team that can stop your attacking (especially considering this team's attacking is fairly weak).

I'm not especially amazing at doubles either, but you might want to try use mixed Kingdra, which is a really huge threat.

Viva la Gofre
05-03-2008, 03:41 PM
Im laughing at the suggestion of bounce aswel. two turn moves should only be used in very rare circumstances, if ever. Bounce sucks.

Toxicroak is too fragile to set up or fully benefit from rain dance. I'd put it on ludi with damp rock, as it performs the same job as lefties. He is also bulky enough to not get killed setting it up.
Politoed wants surf, focus blast isnt reliable enough as its only move due to its poor accuracy and inneffectiveness against ghosts.

Stubby Boardman
05-03-2008, 09:04 PM
Thank you everyone for your input I appreciate it very much.

TacoMan
05-04-2008, 01:52 AM

EPIC FAIL STOP RATING TEAMS!
Crunch on Raiku? Look at its base stats and tell me now.
If you knew anything you would know KYOGRE IS A ******* UBER and is banned from STANDARD SET BATTLES.
Bounce on politoad? Just GTFO

Do not listen to this kid