Chat about WOTC's famous Magic: the Gathering TCG here. :smile:

Kenny_C.002
03-04-2004, 01:42 AM
Chatting about:
The type 2 environment maybe?
The current extended environment?
Type 1?
Casual?
Combos of the new (preferably Onslaught and Mirrodin) blocks?
Chat about crappy cards in Tourneys but amazing in multiplay?

Anything!

Even the books if you want.

So...I'll start the topic. anyone found interesting (not obvious) combos with Darksteel?

Neo Emolga
03-04-2004, 01:52 AM
Best card for multiplay:

Syphon Soul!

Deals two damage to every player and you get life for the amount of damage done. The more the merrier!

But it isn't so hot in a tornament...

Kenny_C.002
03-04-2004, 02:04 AM
dosen't it cost like 4 or something? lol

I've noticed how sun droplets are absolutely crazy in multiplayer lately. I'm getting vexed all the time because I am the only one playing with them. :lol:

Magare
03-14-2004, 09:02 PM
Hey Kenny, I recognize the first 2 cards in your sig (moment peace and..umm...Enchantress Presence i think) but what are the other 2? I've never seen them before......

Kenny_C.002
03-23-2004, 08:56 PM
The third is Briar Patch from Mercadian Masques. It's an uncommon and quite powerful IMO.

The last one is Mourning (sp?) Spirit. Don't remember which set it was from or anything about it. lol

Magare
04-03-2004, 09:39 PM
This is a quiestion for anyone who wants to help!

With regionals coming up I've been testing 2 decks. One is R/B/G Ravager affinity with 4xNaturalize main decked and 4x Oxidize in the sideboard and a metagamed version of the elves with 4x Troll ascetics and a splash of of white for Worship (Goblins scoop when those 2 come out, and with skullclamp they always do.) I'll give the pricise decklists if anyone wants to know... Anyway, all the help is appreciated...

Suggestions, ideas?

Kenny_C.002
04-04-2004, 08:50 PM
I noticed that. Just thinking that 4 naturalize may be a little risky for ravager affinity (btw, I prefer Slobad affinity more). It is indeed better than oxidize for sure. Go with this one over the elves, considering they will never make it through the regionals alive and they tend to be reserved for casual anyway.

Anyway, I'm interested in your ravager affinity and what it runs.

Neo Emolga
04-04-2004, 09:00 PM
Is it just me or is Icy Manipulator & Royal Assassin just about the nastiest combo ever? Can anyone think of anything worse?

Magare
04-04-2004, 09:12 PM
Neo, Icy Assasin is an old an combo which was very efficient in the old days, but is a little to slow in this metagame. A shame really...

Anyway, Kenny. This version of elves is more than a casual deck... And soooo fun :biggrin: . It beats Broodstar affinity in 9 out of 10 games. Has a 50/50 against ravager affinity. Can beat goblins thanks to troll/worship. However slide and U/W control are still a problem.

And I agree with you, Ravager affinity is the best deck around right now, but it relies on drawing skullclamp too much. And with my luck :rolleyes: ...

Anyway, I'll write the deck list one of these days...

Kenny_C.002
04-05-2004, 02:54 AM
Not really. 4 thoughtcasts are there to help. Chances of drawing a single clamp is pretty high (thus it works). I've been eyeing on 12post and mono-red tho (esp. mono-red. looking nasty). Got some crazy crap there.

Magare
04-17-2004, 02:20 PM
Okay Kenny. I'm giving you the deck list I'll be playing tomorrow on regionals. Any last second help FROM ANYONE would be very appreciated. Especially for the sideboard part...

3x Darksteel Citadel
3x Glimmervoid
4x Tree of Tales
4x Great Furnace
4x Vault of Whispers

3x Ornithopter
4x Frogmite
4x Myr Enforcer
4x Archbound Ravager
2x Atog
4x Disciple of the Vault
4x Archbound Worker

3x Pyrite Spellbomb
3x Oxidize (it turned out better than Naturalize)
3x Welding Jar
4x Skullclamp
4x Shrapnel Blast

Sideboard:
4x Naturalize (Slide/Mirror)
1x Oxidize (Mirror)
4x Terror (U/W control/Goblins)
4x Pyroclasm (Goblins)
2x ?

Again, every suggestion (no matter how dumb you think it sounds) is welcome!

This version of the deck is one of the most agressive builds around. when your opponent doesnt do anything the first 3 turns (Slide :razz: ) you can pull out a turn 4 kill in over 30% of matches. And a turn 3 kill is more then possible with Ravager and 2 disciples or Atog and 1 disciple...

Kenny_C.002
04-18-2004, 02:27 AM
u got the basics covered. But I can see that you have nothing to go against tooth and nail decks, which might be a problem. I don't remember whether tooth decks have anything that you can specifically go after, but I doubt it (it's all removal with 12 post and big stuff). Just watch out for them, as they are quick enough to slap you hard (like 4th turn colossus with angel X_X). Again, might want to sideboard something against that.

Aether spellbombs might be what you want here, btw.

If you want to ensure skullclamps, reshapes help tremendously, tho they are too slow for an aggro build (like thoughtcast), but it's a suggestion.

Sceptor MIGHT be worth an investment, since I've seen builds with them strictly to imprint the blasts. I've seen them work and devastate, but I'm unsure of the quicker tourney environment.

anyway, just suggestions.

Magare
04-18-2004, 04:48 PM
Kenny, thanks for the advices, but they would change the entire concept of my deck. But now what I wanted to say........

EVERYONE BOW DOWN TO THE WINNER OF THE REGIONALS!!!!!!

Not only is this build aggresive enough to win against anything, it also has the sollution to whatever comes out to the board... And in the end my sideboard looked like this:

4x Naturalize
1x Oxidize
4x Terror
3x Pyroclasm
3x Electrostatic Bolt

I'll take my boosters and go home, thank you very much :biggrin:

YAY ME!!!!!!

Neo Emolga
04-18-2004, 04:51 PM
Hey, outstanding job Magare! I never really enter those kinds of things myself, so I have no idea how I'd fare.

Funny how the people who win are given more cards to make their decks even stronger. Sure doesn't help the people who lose. :tongue2:

Finglonger
04-20-2004, 07:24 AM
wow, good job, I havent really tried my hand in that type of thing. The only tourneys I frequent are either local or type1/extended.

Kenny_C.002
04-21-2004, 02:54 AM
Hey, outstanding job Magare! I never really enter those kinds of things myself, so I have no idea how I'd fare.

Funny how the people who win are given more cards to make their decks even stronger. Sure doesn't help the people who lose. :tongue2:

Not really. U see, Magare's deck is pretty much the epitome of decks, and you can't go stronger than that in type 2.

So Magare Congrats on your victory. What did you encounter? Cemetery Cloud? Mono white? Mirrors (obvious)? Goblins? Just curious. :P

Yeah, tourneys tend to be like too stressful. lol

Magare
04-21-2004, 08:32 AM
My thanks to everyone who congratulated me.

Now, what did I encounter? Umm, lets see, 3 Goblin Bidding, B/W Clerics :eek: , R/G Land Destruction and Sligh. Top 8 was pretty much the same thing. I didnt play one mirror match the whole day :eh:

Kenny_C.002
04-22-2004, 12:45 AM
Yes, go BW Clerics! I love those guys (I play bidding). I noticed the sligh, must be a tough one. The no mirrors seem...strange. :P

Magare
04-23-2004, 09:16 PM
Yeah, sligh was a problem. Well it should have been anyway. I drew a shrapnel blast one turn before he would eat me up in game one, and in game 2 he took a hand with 2 mountains and a mox (which got oxidized). He didnt draw his 3rd land until turn 5 and that was more than I needed. And the game with B/W Clerics........... He gave me a turn 2 Scion :eek: , but he was looking at a frogmite and an enforcer on my turn 3 so........he wasnt much of a problem really...... :cool: .

Oh and one thing. I've heard rumors of meltdown being reprinted in Fifth Dawn! SAY ITS NOT SO!!!!!!!

Kenny_C.002
04-23-2004, 11:53 PM
I thought so. The scion on turn 2 is just funny. lol

btw, I don't thinkit would be reprinted, since meltdown is so much like shatterstorm and they were saing they don't like low costing kill all artifact cards (e.g. they need to be 6 or more). Since meltdown would probably be played to kill all them little artifacts (not to mention ALL of the artifact lands...), I don't think so. But I mgiht be wrong.

Finglonger
04-28-2004, 03:03 AM
meh, while were on the subject of type 2 decks, i just have to say that I hate the way the game runs nowadays. I remember there used to be a definite beginning, midgame, and end, and no ridiculous tribal decks. now the flow is horribly jumbled, I guess im just a hopelsss romantic but i long for the days of ice age and such, hell i'd even settle for oddyssey, but alas that wont happen.

Magare
04-28-2004, 06:41 AM
Well you might have it your way when the next block comes in. Its supposed to be a "control" one. Now, I'm not really sure how that will work if they dont reprint force spike or counterspell but who knows.....

Kenny_C.002
04-29-2004, 02:10 AM
At this point, Earth, Fire, and Wind still have to come out before "Control" even surfaces.

btw, the codenames have real names now:

Champions of Kamigawa
Betrayers of Kamigawa
Saviours of Kamigawa

A highly Japanese/Asian flavoured block it is. Looking forward to it.

Finglonger
04-29-2004, 11:28 PM
sweet, oriental themed block, should be good. reminds me a bit of portal when they did romance of the three kingdoms stuff.

Kenny_C.002
04-30-2004, 01:26 AM
Yeah. It seems to have either a positive feedback or a negative one. There hasn't been many neutrals around here for some reason. I'm one of the people who support it (being asian myself. The flavour goes home.). So yeah. And ppl who think of it as "not magic", Mirrodin is as "not magic" as this, if not, more than Kamigawa. It's just part of a multiverse.

Sweetness. Wonder if there will be like ninjas and samaurais in there...

Magare
04-30-2004, 07:01 AM
I doubt there will be ninjas...... Hmm, ninja theme deck......"What are you playing?" "Ninjas!!!!!" Sounds cool :cool:

But the "kamigawas" could be the first normal set in a long time...... After all. Arabian Nights was a great set, I dont see why this wouldn't be one...

Kenny_C.002
04-30-2004, 11:22 PM
It's just like 2 years tho. Onslaught and Mirrodin. I don't think I consider Oddyssey to be a normal set. Then again, rumour has it that Kamigawa's loaded with legends and/or multicoloured stuff.