PDA

View Full Version : Let's create a Game!

Crossfire Chaos
05-15-2005, 07:43 PM
This is a game thread where we will try to create a game using game creating programs. This group will contain many (for lack of a better term) jobs that you will fill and do. I think that this whould be a great way to learn how to make games and work as a group. This does not only have to be pokemon, there can be anything in it, we could even start with an original idea! (Not recommended for first try) This is just something I thought of after seeing so many game projects fail, and I knew that with a huge group we could make the game by only having to worry about or own jobs. A last think I ask is that you respect others trying to help and to accept Ideas. If you plan to leave the project then please say so in this thread, because if you just abruptly leave then we will all be mad at you.

The Jobs:

Spriters:
Overworlders
Battle Figures
Scene Painters
Mugs/Fulls

Scripters
Java
C++
Specs

Storyliners
Character Makers
World Backstory
Interaction

Those are the jobs I thought of at this time if there is more job ideas then I'll add them.
If you wish to join please say what you are good at doing and what you have some experience with.

Edit: Damnit, this is in the graphics section, please move to groups or a more appropriet place.

Crossfire Chaos
05-15-2005, 07:44 PM
This is reserved for more content.

Matt
05-15-2005, 08:31 PM
Are we making custom/from scratch sprites or are we using actual game sprites.

Crossfire Chaos
05-15-2005, 09:24 PM
It depends, for original games we should use original sprites.

for Non-Originals (Like pokemon or sonic) we use the actualy game sprites. (Or we use edited ones)

The Elite Ygseto
05-15-2005, 09:51 PM
Cool idea, although I have know idea what I could do. I have books on Java and C++, but i have yet to read, let alone learn anything. I'll try, but don't count on me.

TyphlosionX
05-15-2005, 10:52 PM
Here is a quick trainer of the new game... lol
http://img187.echo.cx/img187/5315/newgamesprite18gm.png :happy:

Zenaku
05-15-2005, 11:27 PM
The first thing you have to do before anything is to find scripters. You could find the best spriters, character designers, and scenario writers in the world, but without scripters they'd be useless.

On easy way would be to transfer the RGSS scripts from RPG Maker into C++, but of course all scripts would have to be transferred to set up the screen, the map, etc properly.

As far as maps actually go, they're all seperate maps for seperate areas which are joined using coordinates to make it seem like one big map (e.g. Pokemon). You'd need experienced scripters, in which case, going ahead to make an original game would be fine.

Then again, you could use RPG Maker XP or something.

The Elite Ygseto
05-16-2005, 04:32 AM
What where you using to make the GS remakes?

Zenaku
05-16-2005, 08:08 AM
I was using RPG Maker XP. The default battle system is built for fighting games (Which is why the GS-Project is on hiatus; sooner or later a Pokemon script will come into existence) so a Pokemon game using it isn't reccomended unless you know where to either download a Pokemon battle script, or know how to write one yourself (And seeing as how it could take days-weeks of studying default scripts to figure out what each variable/array does, it would be easier to just write the battle system with a custom-written game).

RMXP has its limits, obviously, which depend on the scripters skill in scripting rather than the abilities of everyone else. It wouldn't be strange for a Pokemon fan good at scripting to just create a game of his or her own, so finding one would be rare. My best guess would be an RPG game using the default turn-based battle system. If the storyline and sprites were good enough, the battle system being default wouldn't matter.

The Elite Ygseto
05-16-2005, 01:36 PM
What do you mean by fighting system? Something like Fire Emblem or Street Fighter?

Zenaku
05-16-2005, 01:46 PM
No, as in turn-based RPG fighting.

The Elite Ygseto
05-16-2005, 02:02 PM
Oh ok. If we aren't going to do a pokemon game then we should do a normal RPG.

Crossfire Chaos
05-27-2005, 04:05 AM
well? are people going to join in or what? I was planning on making a point and click adventure game with Adventure Game Studio (free) all I need is a couple o' spriters, cutsceners and storyliners. Are you guys going to try and make a game or what?

King Manyula
05-27-2005, 07:01 PM
I really want to be storyliner please. Well, can I Chaos?

Crossfire Chaos
05-28-2005, 02:54 PM
Okay, you can be a story liner, but of which type?

Inferno
06-15-2005, 12:22 AM
Hi Chaos~
If you are planning on a point and click adventure game, it would be a lot simpler/easier to make it in flash. I just figured that would be a solution since there don't seem to be many scripting experts here. I have taken a few courses on scripting though. Java, C++, and flash w/action script. And I've made a few games and a lot of videos in Flash. And I would be totally happy and very excited to make a fun game, so I will offer to help. but I don't have much free time right now, so IDK if I'd be the best person for it. But to make just a regular RPG, then someone could download RPGmaker2000/RPG MAker XP like people have suggested, or something for the computer. If I have time, I will study up on the battle script for whatever type game you want. But right now my time is limited.

Crossfire Chaos
06-15-2005, 02:52 PM
Doesn't flash require a lot of scripting?
I'm pretty sure that Adventure Game Studio doesn't require much.
But it is nice that you have thought about helping, though It's a shame that you don't have the time to do it.