PDA

View Full Version : The movie "Saw", nightmares, and fear in general

Alakazam
05-16-2005, 02:11 AM
NOTE: some spoilers about the movie Saw are likely to follow.

I'm not into horror films very much, in fact I don't really like them. However, numerous people had reccomended Saw to me, so I decided to see it. My cousin had just purchased the DVD, so he let me borrow it.

I think it was an excellent movie, but at the same time, I hated it with all of my being. That probably sounds contradictory, so I'll explain. I thought that the plot was very engaging, and that it was an extremely well-mdae film. However, I loate because of the way it made me feel. It instilled an unspeakable and horrible fear in me as I watched it. Now, some of you are probably thinking at this point "...but Alakazam, its a horror movie. It was created to scare you, so why do you hate it?"

Well, I found many of the scenes disturbing, especially the ones about the other "games" that people went through, and how they died. (the man whose flesh was in shreds from the razor wire, the man who was burned beyond recoginition, and worst of all: the description of the head trap that was on Amanda's head). When I saw each of these deaths, I couldn't help but imagine what such demises would feel like...I imagined that those things were happening to me, and that made me cringe, it made me picture my own demise in terrible ways....which I didn't enjoy (to say the least).

Not only that, but the ending of the movie was so depressing. I actually hit the mute button on my TV at the end, to drown out Adam's scream. It was just too much for me.

I watched it in my bedroom with the lights off (I always do that when watching any movie), and I was alone. By the time the movie was half over, I was the only one awake in the house.

After it ended, the fear didn't end. I was afraid that I would have nightmares about the gruesome things that I had just seen. This probably sounds childish, someone being afraid of nightmares, so I'll go into detail about it.

When yopu think about it, nightmares can be truely frightening. You don't have to be young or immature to fear them. When you sleep and dream, you enter a world that, at the time, is reality. 99% of the time, during a nightmare (or any dream for that matter), you don't know that you're asleep. While its happening, you think that its real. That's what so bone-chillingly horrifying. If I had been terrified at seeing some of the things in Saw, can you imagine how intensely frightening it would be to think that those things are actually happening to me? I'd rather not dwell on that thought.

But the funny thing is, I honestly hardly ever get scared. I know it must sounds pretty arrogant, but, so far in my life, I have only been truely afraid a few times. I recall years ago (I think I was 13-14 years old) a camping trip I was on in the Adirondack Mountains in New York with my scout troop, and there were many black bears around. Most of the other boys (even the ones that were considerably older than me) were scared of the bears. In fact, I seriously thought that the oldest of us was going to cry. But I really wasn't afraid.

I love to sit alone in a dark, quiet room and play Resident Evil. It does scare me, but its that kind of terror that people seek out, like riding on a roller coaster or going to a haunted house. It may be just as much being surprised / startled than actually frightened. It must have been how real the movie Saw seemed compared to a video game. No matter how good the graphics are, you know somewhere in the back of your mind that its another world you're seing, a world that cannot possibly cause you harm. But to see such terrible things with real people is a completely different story.

Feel free to respond to this, or discuss your experience seing the movie Saw, or to discuss fear or nightmares in general.

IT
05-16-2005, 06:22 PM
Someone else actually saw that movie? Cool ,I thought I was the only one...I think it was a decent movie but one scene got me a bit mad: why on earth didn't the doctor cut the lock with the saw but, no, of course he had to cut his leg! Otherwise, a bit too unrealistic but still cool. If you liked that movie, try Mindhunters, group of agents are transferred onto a little island and one of them is a serial killer with some nasty traps on his mind. The movie was directed by Renny Harlin who is Finnish by the way. Very cool movie.

As for nightmares, I had this weirdest nightmare...It was freaking scary:

I'm this little ball rolling down a hill. After me comes rolling this HUGE ball after me. I try to speed up but no, this big ball comes and flattens me.

And then I wake up sweaty...jumping on a couch downstairs... :eek:

Daniella Defines Divinity
05-16-2005, 08:28 PM
Someone else actually saw that movie? Cool ,I thought I was the only one...I think it was a decent movie but one scene got me a bit mad: why on earth didn't the doctor cut the lock with the saw but, no, of course he had to cut his leg! Otherwise, a bit too unrealistic but still cool. If you liked that movie, try Mindhunters, group of agents are transferred onto a little island and one of them is a serial killer with some nasty traps on his mind. The movie was directed by Renny Harlin who is Finnish by the way. Very cool movie.

As for nightmares, I had this weirdest nightmare...It was freaking scary:

I'm this little ball rolling down a hill. After me comes rolling this HUGE ball after me. I try to speed up but no, this big ball comes and flattens me.

And then I wake up sweaty...jumping on a couch downstairs... :eek:

They tried cutting the lock with the saw's earlier on in the film, but the saws they were given could never get the job done so thats all he could do.

I saw it quite a while ago and I was left with the same feeling, it just sickens me to think how they even managed to come up with scenarios like those, and that there are probably people out there that would do that kinda stuff. That film truely chilled me to the core because it was just so realistic, those people could have been you >.<

JohtoTrainer
05-16-2005, 08:43 PM
I think that there is something wrong with people that write scary movies. I mean, how could you think up such gruesome and horrible things. Stuff like that can mess you up, it gets into your conscious and just freaks you out for awhile. Just hearing stories about things can keep me a little freaked out for awhile.

Loyal Arcanine
05-16-2005, 08:51 PM
I haven't seen the movie "Saw", so I won't go into that.

I do want to say something about nightmares though. I have them of course, and sometimes they do frighten me. But for some strange reason, when I dream I realise that I'm dreaming. It comes up at crucial stages, like when my mother's dying or something I say to myself, in my dream, "Don't worry, it's just a dream." It also happens whenever I need to go to the toilet. Immediately, something inside me says, "Mind you, you're dreaming." Perhaps it's strange that inspite of that, I can still be frightened by nightmares, but then again it's just like a movie or a book; then you also know it's not real, but you can still be scared by it. Even funnier is, that, although I realise I'm dreaming, I don't wake up ... Heh, I'm a freak person.

Shroomish
05-16-2005, 10:40 PM
Nightmares don't bother me anymore 'cause I can pretty much control my dreams to an extent. (Lucid dreaming) But whatever. XD Although I'm not above paranoia...

The Grudge terrified me to death when I saw it at the movies. I couldn't be alone in a dark room for like a week. XD Then when I saw it on DVD I was like ".. Why was I scared of this?"

But anyway, only supernatural movies actually leave me with a paranoid feeling. (The Grudge, Final Destination, etc.) If Saw is just gory and voilent, then I could handle it no problem. I might rent it now 'cause you all have got me interested. XD

manectrics_shockwave
05-16-2005, 10:46 PM
The Grudge terrified me to death when I saw it at the movies. I couldn't be alone in a dark room for like a week. XD Then when I saw it on DVD I was like ".. Why was I scared of this?"

But anyway, only supernatural movies actually leave me with a paranoid feeling. (The Grudge, Final Destination, etc.) If Saw is just gory and voilent, then I could handle it no problem. I might rent it now 'cause you all have got me interested. XD
Ya the grudge terrified me too, I have an attic right above my room and I would not get to sleep. But anyways I thought the movie SAW sucked because it was really boring...

JohtoTrainer
05-16-2005, 11:58 PM
I didn't think the Grudge was very scary. Honestly I thought it was kinda stupid. lol. It just didn't seem scary, kinda pathetic actually. :tongue:

manectrics_shockwave
05-17-2005, 12:10 AM
It was stupid but it made me terrifyed of atics now.

15 more post until Shiftry Woohoo!

Shroomish
05-17-2005, 12:24 AM
lol Yeah, it was kind of cheesy once I saw it at home, but in theatres.... Well, with the surround sound, it being dark, the bigger screen, and the louder volume than usual... It just makes it scary. >_<

IT
05-17-2005, 12:31 PM
They tried cutting the lock with the saw's earlier on in the film, but the saws they were given could never get the job done so thats all he could do.

Actually they only tried to cut the chain that had the lock with it. They never tried to cut the lock. But yeah, the saws were rusty and broken so the guy who set the traps could have pleasure watching them sturggle with them.

About the Grudge, it's one of the worst horror movies ever. IT was a lot better! :cool: But one thing bothered me really bad about the Grudge, why on earth didn't the woman punch or kick the ugly ghost girl when she came crawling towards her? I mean when they were in the house and the woman was just about to light the whole house in fire.

I've seen only one horror movie that was scary, the Ring. I'm still scared about watching TV... :cool: Luckily I haven't seen the Excorsist or the Excorcist:Beginning...I wouldn't be able to go to the bathroom at night anymore...

Sudo
05-17-2005, 06:30 PM
I dont seem to ever get nightmares anymore or decent dreams for that matter!

Yes i have seen that film and it scared the soul out of me because it seems so real!

Also i am a major chicken and even i didnt find The Exorcist scary!

Inferno
06-15-2005, 06:13 AM
yeah, I watched saw with a group of friends when it first came out on video. and I remember not being too scared of the movie because it was really predictable to me. But on the other subject, when I do get scared from movies, it's more my own mind that does it than the movie itself. I only scare myself when it's a movie about a burglar or someone breaking in to kill someone or hurt them. Movies about crazy over the top things don't scare me because I don't believe those things will happen to me. but I just finished a movie about some bad guy being inside someone's house, then I walk around corners in my home with clinched fists. I guess scary movies don't do it for me. When they're really suspensful they give me headaches, and when they're really "thought out" then it's really predictable to me, and when is just weird like the Grudge then it makes me laugh. But movies about sharks, guns, and the city they bother me. And I have been known to have crazy dreams about em, but I most of the time wake up before anything bad happens.

The Elite Ygseto
06-15-2005, 02:31 PM
I know what you are talking about with the dreams and other kind of horror. i've had this dream wheremy mother get's shot and dies. It was probally the worst feeling i'll ever get in my life, seeing my mom die... it felt so real.

And about getting scared. I love getting the crap scared out of me on doom 3. I'll turn off the lights in my basement (thats where my comp is) so the only light is the pale moonlight coming from my window. It scares me, but it's fun. The horror that frightens me is that alone with someone that you can't find kind of thing. In Doom 3 I shoot what ever scares me, but IRL I don't carry a BFG with me.

IT
06-15-2005, 02:36 PM
And about getting scared. I love getting the crap scared out of me on doom 3. I'll turn off the lights in my basement (thats where my comp is) so the only light is the pale moonlight coming from my window. It scares me, but it's fun. The horror that frightens me is that alone with someone that you can't find kind of thing. In Doom 3 I shoot what ever scares me, but IRL I don't carry a BFG with me.

Doom 3 is so scary...I have my room in the attic, worse than basement. And do the exact same thing, lights off, and let's play. But it's a good game after all.

The Elite Ygseto
06-15-2005, 02:51 PM
Oh the attic is worse. Wish I could put my comp in my attic, that would be cool. This is alittle off topic.

IT
06-15-2005, 03:03 PM
Oh the attic is worse. Wish I could put my comp in my attic, that would be cool. This is alittle off topic.

True, but you need only 10 posts now :biggrin: I actually never really have nightmares, I just have crazy dreams, like this one where there was competititon where people had to slap each other with shoes.... :neutral: But when I have nightmares, they're weird too, they're never normal like your mom getting shot or an axemurderer coming out of your closet etc.

The Elite Ygseto
06-15-2005, 03:09 PM
This is sort of on topic, but here it goes. My grandfather died sunday. I've been close to him for a while. That night I had a dream with him in it. We where in his basement talking. The last thing he said to me was "Crap, the canister on my vacume cleaner is full!" Then my mom called me to leave.It was really weird. It was alittle off-tpoic. XD

flyhighlatias!
06-15-2005, 07:35 PM
my nightmares almost always deal with zombies, and i always die :dazed: (well i wake up before the final blow is delt but im pretty sure that it would have killed me) anywho, in my dreams I have also been shot, drowned, stabbed, lost, eaten, beaten, and fallen off many a cliff (and my family wonders why I'm a scardy cat?) I've also dreamt about falling out of rides too, having some family members die, and be in things that crash, bash, and go boom. :eek: but about 3 years ago all the nightmares stopped and i haven't really had a nightmare since and i'm hoping it stays that way
(a little of topic here)
but instead of nightmares now, im seeing people i know like in the future, all grown up and some doing some bad things

and also im having adventure dreams that continue night after night

and i have know concluded that i am wierd :goofy:

!CeMAn
06-18-2005, 05:19 AM
Whenever i dream that i'm going to drown i'm always holding my breath as long as i can but when i can't any longer and take that one last breath that should fill my lungs with water i breathe regular air and i'm like "WtF..?" then it's over. Obviously because i'm holding my breath in reality and when i finally gasp i'm just breathing the air in my room, but of course i never realise it until it's over. That's so messed up that you never realise it's a dream...

i once dreampt i was taken hostage in a mall and had my throat slashed from behind. i remember the blade sliding across my neck, my head having the feeling rush out of it and everything getting dark as people looked on until i fell, slow motion style. i wouldn't go to the mall for a while after that one... i've also had dreams that i was in Hell... by far the scariest crap i've ever dreamt.

Herp
07-14-2005, 01:50 AM
Now, things moving around in the wilderness at night dont scare me. probably because i can usually tell what it is, being the nature nerd that i am. But, MOVIES scare me. that's why i dont watch above pg13 by my own choice [and i usually dont watch pg13 either only if its a circumstance like spiderman or w/e] and my parents would probably let me see omething RRed. Well, i dont get scared much in real live circumstances, but i do get scared when something, REALLY COULD happen. Not sure how to explain this, but when my dad gets me to have some father/son time in the middle of the night, we [well, HE, i dont like to have anything to do with it] always break some minor law or another, like breaking lake rules when we go for midnight rides on the pontoon at our lakehouse like not having a stern light us. That kinda thing always scared me. But as for these movies, just making slight connections to the scenes or w/e gives me the creeps imagining what you could mean. Im never watchng horror movies as long as i live. In the modern day theyre not thrill horror, theyre disturbing horror, thought up by insane, twisted people. And in conclusion, only movies and things that could really happen scare me [god typing that made this feel like i just wrote an essay]

Herp
07-14-2005, 01:58 AM
but instead of nightmares now, im seeing people i know like in the future, all grown up and some doing some bad things

Now, im nonreligous, but i do have a slight belief in things like this. They could be visions. I dont know. "Sometimes there are no answers" ~ Saphira, Eragon Heh i always loved that book, im like the biggest fan [really im an overobsessionist with it] but back on topic. Like i said before, small beief in supernatural things like ghosts, spirits, visions, etcetera. dont think im insane, and if i just double posted [which i thonk i just did], REALLY sorry

AlakazamTrainer
07-14-2005, 05:53 AM
THE MOVIE SAW IS THE BEST MOVIE AS A MATTER OF A FACT THEY HAVE ANOTHER ONE COMEING OUT SAW 2 AND THE VERY FIRST ONE JIGSAW.
THE SCARIEST MOVIE WAS THE GRUDGE OMG THAT MOVIE GAVE ME NIGHTMARES AND I DON'T HAVE NIGHTMARES.THE NOISE THAT LITTLE GIRL MAKES SCARES ME :eek:

NOTE: some spoilers about the movie Saw are likely to follow.

I'm not into horror films very much, in fact I don't really like them. However, numerous people had reccomended Saw to me, so I decided to see it. My cousin had just purchased the DVD, so he let me borrow it.

I think it was an excellent movie, but at the same time, I hated it with all of my being. That probably sounds contradictory, so I'll explain. I thought that the plot was very engaging, and that it was an extremely well-mdae film. However, I loate because of the way it made me feel. It instilled an unspeakable and horrible fear in me as I watched it. Now, some of you are probably thinking at this point "...but Alakazam, its a horror movie. It was created to scare you, so why do you hate it?"

Well, I found many of the scenes disturbing, especially the ones about the other "games" that people went through, and how they died. (the man whose flesh was in shreds from the razor wire, the man who was burned beyond recoginition, and worst of all: the description of the head trap that was on Amanda's head). When I saw each of these deaths, I couldn't help but imagine what such demises would feel like...I imagined that those things were happening to me, and that made me cringe, it made me picture my own demise in terrible ways....which I didn't enjoy (to say the least).

Not only that, but the ending of the movie was so depressing. I actually hit the mute button on my TV at the end, to drown out Adam's scream. It was just too much for me.

I watched it in my bedroom with the lights off (I always do that when watching any movie), and I was alone. By the time the movie was half over, I was the only one awake in the house.

After it ended, the fear didn't end. I was afraid that I would have nightmares about the gruesome things that I had just seen. This probably sounds childish, someone being afraid of nightmares, so I'll go into detail about it.

When yopu think about it, nightmares can be truely frightening. You don't have to be young or immature to fear them. When you sleep and dream, you enter a world that, at the time, is reality. 99% of the time, during a nightmare (or any dream for that matter), you don't know that you're asleep. While its happening, you think that its real. That's what so bone-chillingly horrifying. If I had been terrified at seeing some of the things in Saw, can you imagine how intensely frightening it would be to think that those things are actually happening to me? I'd rather not dwell on that thought.

But the funny thing is, I honestly hardly ever get scared. I know it must sounds pretty arrogant, but, so far in my life, I have only been truely afraid a few times. I recall years ago (I think I was 13-14 years old) a camping trip I was on in the Adirondack Mountains in New York with my scout troop, and there were many black bears around. Most of the other boys (even the ones that were considerably older than me) were scared of the bears. In fact, I seriously thought that the oldest of us was going to cry. But I really wasn't afraid.

I love to sit alone in a dark, quiet room and play Resident Evil. It does scare me, but its that kind of terror that people seek out, like riding on a roller coaster or going to a haunted house. It may be just as much being surprised / startled than actually frightened. It must have been how real the movie Saw seemed compared to a video game. No matter how good the graphics are, you know somewhere in the back of your mind that its another world you're seing, a world that cannot possibly cause you harm. But to see such terrible things with real people is a completely different story.

Feel free to respond to this, or discuss your experience seing the movie Saw, or to discuss fear or nightmares in general.

Crummie
07-21-2005, 12:45 AM
*didn't read any of the posts in the thread before posting his opinion*

You know, I didn't think Saw was actually very scary. It was more of a gross, and disturbing movie.

I mean, like when the survivor had to gut a live man, I wasn't scared. But I was grossed out.

silverfrost
07-21-2005, 01:26 AM
Um, yeah. Saw was pretty crazy... The "games" were insane, obviously. I can't even imagine being in that situation. I think that the terror of it would get the best of me, for sure

I think the main reason it was so scary, though, was that it was a punishment for feeling down on life. I'm pretty that almost every single one of us, every day, feels pretty ungrateful and want more in our lives. It's a pretty normal thing for everyone. So, this guy was trying to change people for succumbing to human nature, and that's what scared me the most. o.O