PDA

View Full Version : Official Nintendo revolution picture

Daniella Defines Divinity
05-17-2005, 12:44 PM
Here it is folks:

http://img137.echo.cx/img137/4415/revolution9di.jpg

It's so sexy looking XP

Apparently it's 2-3 times more powerful than gamecube and will be offering a service similar to that of Xbox live, but free and you can use it to download classic nintendo games such as donkey Kong XP

source: IGN

Alakazam
05-17-2005, 02:30 PM
It looks pretty cool, and I'm glad that they're going to offer online play. I probably would never use the online play, but I know that many people would, and I think that if it is really a free service that it should certainly make the Revolution a better system than the XBOX 360 (and Nintendo is already determined to defeat the PS3 :P)

I think the biggest complaint about the Gamecube is that there is no online play, so adding it sounds like a great idea, especially considering all of the multiplayerr games that GCN had...if Revolution goes the same way, I think it'll kick ass.

*runs to IGN to read the article*

05-17-2005, 02:53 PM
Some better pictures from 1up.com

http://www.1up.com/do/imageDisplay?id=1897381
http://www.1up.com/do/imageDisplay?id=1897375
http://www.1up.com/do/imageDisplay?id=1897379

Zenaku
05-17-2005, 02:53 PM
Unfortunately, the only article related to the Revolution is vague, mentioning not much more than it being more powerful than the GameCube. From images however, it seems to use normal discs, and is quite small.

I love the simplistic black design also. It's about time that the default colour for a Nintendo console is black (Lately it's been Purple/Platinum) since the last natural black console was the N64; for the recent consoles one has had to wait for a black release (e.g. I'm waiting for Graphite Black DS's to be released).

Makes me wonder though... GameCubes graphical capabilities greatly outweighed those of the PS2, while now the Revolution is 2-3x more powerful than the GCN, yet Sony are claiming the PS3 is up to 35x more powerful than the PS2.

I guess what bothers me is how Sony (And Microsoft for that matter) pride themselves for their consoles being 20+x faster than their previous consoles, but honestly, wouldn't such power allow for cinema-like games? It isn't necessary, in reality. That's what I like about NR; they realise that increasing the graphical power to unimaginable levels is pointless, and are instead focusing on other aspects.

Also, is it just me, or is the NR missing a couple of things called Controller ports? Looks like the Revolution is going wireless.

::JD::
05-17-2005, 02:54 PM
That's awesome I'll be sure to get it once it comes out.

05-17-2005, 02:59 PM
Yeah, the only annoying thing is they're probably not showing the revo controllers at E3. Besides this may not be the final design, like when they showed the DS it wasn't the final design, it may change a little still. The nintendo conference starts in an hour, can't wait to see what comes of it XP

05-17-2005, 03:34 PM
I read in GI that the controllers are wireless, and they have touch screens. They should also be completely customizable. There's no pic though.

King Manyula
05-17-2005, 04:03 PM
It looks pretty plain compared to the PS3 and X-Box 360. The PS3 is gonna have the best graphics though, as they are using GeForce technology, the best graphics system in the world so far. This is gonna have free online play and a touch screen. I am probably getting this but PS3 is looking better.

05-17-2005, 04:10 PM
I'll probably get whatever comes out first, then get the next one for christmas 2006.

Nefarious
05-17-2005, 04:34 PM
Wow this sounds cool. Even though they haven't revealed much about it I am definately getting it. I've never owned a PS or an Xbox and I'm not going to anytime soon. I'm just a nintendo freak. =P

Here's a link to some more pics of the Revolution:

http://media.cube.ign.com/articles/615/615030/imgs_1.html

And it's stated in the review that they are going to use wirless technology as much as possible: "We intend to incorporate wireless technology in all we do,"

I can't wait until more is revealed!

05-17-2005, 04:46 PM
I think you don't even have to plug it into the wall. :ermm: I'm not sure though.

Nefarious
05-17-2005, 04:54 PM
Heh, I highly doubt that. The only way that'll happen if it's rechargable.

But I love that it is compact. If you look at the pictures from the link I posted, you'll see how small it is compared to the GC.

Especially this pic:

http://cubemedia.ign.com/cube/image/article/615/615030/e3-2005-high-res-revolution-images-20050517072755728.jpg

And hopefully no more tangled up cords on the floor. But the portability will be of great use to me.

05-17-2005, 05:22 PM
Yeah this'll be nice for playing anywhere with a t.v.

King Manyula
05-17-2005, 05:47 PM
Oh baby. it looks plain but definately good though. It's supposed to have a touch-screen and wireless controller. PS3 and X-box360 are more powerful graphic wise though.

Nefarious
05-17-2005, 05:50 PM
I don't care how it looks, just what it does. The review said that no screens will be used on either the controller or the console itself, but it mentions something about a stylus. I guess they'll clear this up as more is revealed.

05-17-2005, 06:02 PM
Don't judge a console by its cover.

Zenaku
05-17-2005, 07:02 PM
Well, personally, I prefer it to be plain. The PS3 is almost completely plain; it's just the shape that makes it look otherwise. The PS2 is also plain, with a few small "designs" in its casing. The XBox 360 is another plain console (Even having "XBox 360" written in a normal font as opposed to a larger logo)

The new era of consoles is, in a sense, plain, although I definately prefer the Revolution style as opposed to the unorthadox PS3 and XBox 360 styles; their design doesnt even allow you to stack up consoles to save space, although this could easily be intentional on Sony and MicroSofts part (Not wanting people to stack other consoles on top of theirs).

Personally though, you shouldn't assume that the Revolution definately has lesser graphics compared to its two cousins. There's still a very long time before the console is released; heck, it could be ten times more powerful than Nintendo claim (And note that the GCN has better graphic abilities than the PS2, as I've probably already stated).

Until the specs are out, don't count NR as the least graphically-orientated console. Even games have their max limitations (e.g. Why play a game on a £10000 PC, when it can work even past its full potential with a £2000 PC? Extra power wouldn't be necessary, and I'm sure many XBox 360 or PS3 games will need much more processing power than the XBox or PS2 provides). Also remember that almost everything in 3D games is made up of polygons. The more polygons, the more space the image takes up; if a game such as Halo were edited so that each image had the max amount of polygons the XBox 360 could handle (i.e. Making the game of such quality, it'd be much like a CGI sequence) it would take up a hell of a lot more space than the discs would provide, I'm sure.

MystiKal
05-17-2005, 09:56 PM
Yuck it's ugly looks a lot like a computer tower, meh they should of made it better looking, looks count also.

Nefarious
05-17-2005, 10:13 PM
Well like Dani mentioned, this may not be the final design. At first i didn't really like what the DS looked like, but then I saw the final design and was satisfied. Might be the same here.

MystiKal
05-17-2005, 10:18 PM
The only thing they changed on the DS was like two button placements. Besides why would they want to revamp the whole console, they would lose so much money if they did.

Nefarious
05-17-2005, 10:26 PM
:tongue3:

Well although it would be nice if it looked better, it still sounds like it's going to be awesome. Who knows they may add something that will make it look better.

05-17-2005, 10:35 PM
I don't care with it looks like. It could look like a you know what for all I care as long as it plays good and easily.

MystiKal
05-17-2005, 10:41 PM
Well looks are always a first impression so it's good to have a good looking system if not it could hurt sales, and that would be terrible for Nintendo since they are already in a pit.

05-17-2005, 10:47 PM
Welll that's true. The graphics a make an impression on the buyers.

The Elite Ygseto
05-17-2005, 11:09 PM
I love this thing, but it is U-G-L-Y!

MystiKal
05-17-2005, 11:17 PM
Well here's some awesome news on the system straigt from Nintendo.com.

The console also will have downloadable access to 20 years of fan-favorite titles originally released for Nintendo 64, the Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES) and even the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES).

And here are some specs.

The system boasts 512 megabytes of internal flash memory, wireless controllers, two USB 2.0 ports and built-in Wi-Fi access. A worldwide network of Nintendo players can gather to compete in a comfortable, inviting environment. Revolutionís technological heart, a processing chip developed with IBM and code-named "Broadway," and a graphics chip set from ATI code-named "Hollywood," will deliver game experiences not previously possible.

Resident_Screamo
05-18-2005, 12:20 AM
im the only guy in the world that doesnt like the revolution at the moment.

its totally not the best looking console. its not the most powerfull... its not Revolutionary.

im so bummed out by it.. all the hype and build up... and then Ninty show this...

it was a pretty bad E3 for Nintendo unfortunatly :ermm: :susp:

MystiKal
05-18-2005, 12:22 AM
Well I wouldn't say a total bad E3 for them since Zelda showed off so well.

Resident_Screamo
05-18-2005, 12:28 AM
that was it...

- No Mario 128 after Reggie confirmed it would be there

- no tech demos of revolution capability (ps3 and xb360 both showed what it could do)

- didnt talk much about ds online (just said such and such game was online for ds)

- no controller present for the revolution

- the revolution was hardly revolutionary with tech specs.

okay so you can download a back catolouge of games... but i bet yah they'll cost money to download.. which would totally contradict what Reggie was saying about no costs for Nintendo's online service..

anyways REVOLUTION NEWS

Iwata takes tage. Introduces Revolution. Holds up the tiny, Mac Mini-sized unit. Crowd cheers. Says it's the smallest console Nintendo has ever manufactured. Says the final machine will be even smaller than the concept unit he's holding. Can stand horizontally or vertically. Revolution will play 12cm (DVD) discs (and GameCube software, too). Added attachment can be used to play movies and other DVD content. Machine has 512 MB of onboard flash memory for data storage.

9:20 am: "When you turn on Revolution and see the graphics, you will say 'wow!'" "Our competitors have detailed the power of their core processor and display. But the advantages of our technology will also have no bearing on gameplay. I know, this is one of those mysterious comments," he says. Says wifi will be built into every Nintendo product so controller, TV, console, and internet can interact. Nintendo intends to develop a device that's functional and appealing to every member in the household -- whether gamers or not. All controllers will be wireless. Also, the controllers will be very unique "in ways we will share with you... later." Already working on several wifi games for launch. Smash Bros. will be launch game -- wifi.

9:24 am: For Revolution, "Miyamoto is challenging his teams to create something new." His new creation will debut with Revolution. Big franchises will of course be there -- including new versions of Mario and Zelda. Short (pre-rendered) Metroid Prime 3 clip showing Samus standing in front of her redesigned spaceship. "We expect strong third-party support in both hemisphere." For example, Square Enix is already working on Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicle for Revolution.

9:27 am: Iwata: Convinced game development on Revolution will be easier and far less costly than for other machines. "Big idea can prevail over big budget." Revolution is a solution to help maximize creative freedom. Iwata then talks about backward compatibility. "Redefining term of backward compatability." It's a virtual console, able to download 20 years of Nintendo content. You will be able to Download NES, Super NES and N64 games. You can get every Nintendo game ever made. "Revolution shares a vision with DS. The machine is just a tool for software."

9:30 am: Next year, Revolution will fully serve core gamers. "We will attract casual gamers using consumer friendly content control and internet. And we will even draw non-gamers to our Revolution showing them how much fun there is and what we all do already. We call this 'all-access gaming.'" Iwata concludes by saying gamers touch his heart when they pick up the controller and enjoy the games.

http://img290.echo.cx/img290/6444/5918sg.jpg

YAY multi colour-ness

Kenny_C.002
05-18-2005, 12:31 AM
Hmmm. It looks pretty good for a system, but it is seriously lacking power if what the rumours and reports are saying is true. If it's any indication, graphics will play a big role in the next gen's battle, even though Big N has the most quality games of the systems. Sorry to say that the big money will be coming from those who care only about violence and graphics, but this group will also be the most influential of the groups. If Big N want's to regain power, NR HAS to put up at least as much power as 360...

Also, the one to launch first will have the biggest advantage in this, which means Big N's already at a disadvantage from the beginning.

So from first looks I like Big N's games, but it's looking to be unable to win in this war. Yup, Big N either with NR finds its niche and survive, or it will fall. :-/

!CeMAn
05-18-2005, 02:14 AM
:happy: i don't think nintendo will fall. they have been around the longest, haven't they? nintendo whipped sega into the turnbuckle and raped them during the console wars back when. their systems have always pleased me and i have never owned any other company's console or portable.

whichever comes first doesn't necessarily have an advantage. you could hold out until the other guys release their systems and then you could improve on their ideas.

that new revolution looks fresh and fine to me but i won't buy it for a long time. maybe in a couple years when the price goes down and more crap comes out. also, when i'm finished with my gamecube.

The Elite Ygseto
05-18-2005, 02:17 AM
Yay colors! That makes me fell better. Although I'll propbally just get black. XD

Zenaku
05-18-2005, 07:24 AM
Keep in mind some of the new information. The final Revolution will be smaller; this can only mean that this is definately not the final design (And obviously smaller would require a change of internal parts, maybe, although they might achieve the smaller size by re-arranging the circuits).

Also, from the pictures I've seen of next-gen games, they really don't look all that much better than some current games (The chances of that Tekken 6 screen being anything other than a CGI is very slim, so don't bring that up) so Nintendo may well succeed in making players say "Wow".

I don't get why people are too busy judging it on the concept design though. Then again, I like simplistic design.

The Elite Ygseto
05-18-2005, 09:37 PM
I love how my Cube looks, all black and boxy. Sexay. XD

I don't like how it looks on the stand. Maybe if there was a pic of it not in it's base.

MystiKal
05-19-2005, 02:59 AM
Also, from the pictures I've seen of next-gen games, they really don't look all that much better than some current games (The chances of that Tekken 6 screen being anything other than a CGI is very slim, so don't bring that up) so Nintendo may well succeed in making players say "Wow".

Are you blind check out some other next gen console game images and then say they don't look good.

Resident_Screamo
05-25-2005, 12:56 PM
Are you blind check out some other next gen console game images and then say they don't look good.

yeah defo..

make sure to check out killzone 2, kameo, tekken 6, gran turismo vision, perfect dark 0 just to name a few

Zenaku
05-25-2005, 03:35 PM
I did check them. The Tekken 6 screenshot I saw can be nothing less than a CGI cutscene. Some other pics are unconfirmed whether or not they are in-game or cutscene, and either way, as far as I'm concerned, there are already games of this Generation which can match the next-gens supposed "better graphics". Hell, look at the gamecube; quite a few of its games have awesome graphics, despite GCN discs holding roughly 1-2GB of data as opposed to the 4-5GB of normal discs.

Either way, it's an opinion:

Also, from the pictures I've seen of next-gen games, they really don't look all that much better than some current games

Opinion is not fact, and it is my opinion that there are already games in existence with the same graphic quality, or at least almost (Note "they really don't look all that much better", not "they don't look any better").

bronislav84
05-25-2005, 07:46 PM
I could care less how it looks like. I buy a system for the games it has, not how it looks. This is why it took me so long to get a PS2. I only got one when I started playing Xenosaga 1 and FFX on Campus.

Anyway, the "looks bad, plays good" thing is all I care about. The system could look like junk, but if the games are good I'm satisfied.

Now, here's a question for people. If I get rid of my Cube and opt to play it's games on the NR, will I need to keep Cube's memory cards (Does NR even have Cube Memory Card Slots?), or will I be able to move my files (The ones that are movable. The Colloseum file isn't, for example) to a NR Memory Card, and the games will recognize their files still?

Channel Delibird
05-26-2005, 05:56 PM
Meh, a touch screen wouldn't work on a controller anyway. :rolleyes: But the Revolution does look tres bien. I can't wait for it, especially with online multiplayer Mario Kart/Metroid/etc! ^_^

Zenaku
05-26-2005, 06:36 PM
I could care less how it looks like. I buy a system for the games it has, not how it looks. This is why it took me so long to get a PS2. I only got one when I started playing Xenosaga 1 and FFX on Campus.

Anyway, the "looks bad, plays good" thing is all I care about. The system could look like junk, but if the games are good I'm satisfied.

Now, here's a question for people. If I get rid of my Cube and opt to play it's games on the NR, will I need to keep Cube's memory cards (Does NR even have Cube Memory Card Slots?), or will I be able to move my files (The ones that are movable. The Colloseum file isn't, for example) to a NR Memory Card, and the games will recognize their files still?There is a compartment on the side which houses 4 GCN Controller ports and two GCN memory card ports.

Sudo
05-26-2005, 10:19 PM
I was kinda dissapointed with the majority of the games which were on offer for the gamecube so if i decide not to buy a revolution i will buy a 360.

Sudo
05-26-2005, 10:20 PM
I was kinda dissapointed with the majority of the games which were on offer for the gamecube so if i decide not to buy a revolution i will buy a 360.

Exon Auxus
05-31-2005, 08:11 AM
I would rather have the Game Boy Micro. It's so compact and has a portable charger

Orange_Flaaffy
05-31-2005, 04:02 PM
I really think I will be getting a Revolution before anything else. The thought of playing the 64 Mario, Harvest Moon and other downloadable games is too sweet for me :happy:

MystiKal
05-31-2005, 09:42 PM
Meh just having past games to play doesn't appeal to me since I have all the old systems and the games I want. I want to see some game shots of the Revolution and the controller before I make my decison.

King Manyula
06-13-2005, 07:10 PM
Remember guys this is just a prototype.