PDA

View Full Version : Team Help! (new guy)

hellk4t
05-25-2008, 09:50 PM
Hey there guys, new here & looking to get some help from those (you) who know more about this than I do. I am by no means an RPG newb but have been out of the loop for a few generations of pokemon and do not know nearly as much as you guys do regarding EV's & natures and the like. So anyways, I need some help beefing up my team so I can beat my friend. I'm not looking to get competitive or super serious, just need to refine what I have so I have a good shot at beating him. I can't tell you what he's running, unfortunately, cause he is also changing his team up. All I can reference is that the level range will be about 60-80 (for both of us). Anyways, here's what I'm running now.

By the way, none of my pokemon are EV trained.

Leafeon @ heat rock - lv73
naughty nature
-x-scissor
-sunny day
-rest
-leaf blade

Shedinja @ spell tag - lv77
bold nature
-confuse ray
-shadow sneak
-shadow ball
-shadow claw

Rayquaza @ draco plate - lv85
sassy nature
-rest
-dragon pulse
-outrage
-fire blast

Garchomp @ no item - lv71
naughty nature
cut (obtained in trade - came with this)
dragon rush
dragon claw
dig (also from trade)

skarmory @ no item - lv58
forget his nature
-roar
-steel wing
-spikes
-fly

swampert @ lv60
hasty nature
-rock slide
-earthquake
-ice beam
-waterfall

thinking about putting medicham into this roster in garchomps place?

The only pokemon I'm really opposed to getting rid of is Leafeon and maybe Shedinja. I'm open to all other suggestions are far as kicking people out of the team and switching around moves. Thanks ALOT in advance.

Shun Goku Satsu
05-25-2008, 10:46 PM
People will tell you to "get the hell out" because you aren't concerned with EVs and natures etc but i'll offer some less competetive advice for helping you to beat your friend :cool:

Rayquaza is an uber and is banned in competetive battling. I would presume that you and your friend have agreed to allowing an uber in your team. I don't know an awful lot about uber sets so i'll have to leave him.

Pokes should have as much coverage as possible. Poor old shedinja is in trouble with only ghost type attacks. In fact, it's a huge liability to carry a shedinja. He pretty much requires a team built around him that destroys anything that is a threat to him, as well as clearing entry hazards and weather effects. I would drop him.

Oh dear lord, don't even think about dropping garchomp. He's one of the most over-used pokemon in competetive battling and with good reason! Replace Dig with Earthquake, Dragon rush with Outrage, dragon claw with Stone edge, and Cut with either Fire fang or fire blast.

skarmory wants leftovers or shed shell as his item. Teach him drill peck over steel wing (or brave bird if you want to re-breed) and put roost over Fly.

Mixpert looks good but if you havn't EV trained him then he could be pretty bad :neutral: replace waterfall with surf and rock slide with stealth rock.

I know nothing about the leafeon so i wont say anything here. But i'll mention that he's a poor lead. I'll let someone else advise you here though. good luck

hellk4t
05-25-2008, 10:58 PM
People will tell you to "get the hell out" because you aren't concerned with EVs and natures etc but i'll offer some less competetive advice for helping you to beat your friend :cool:

Rayquaza is an uber and is banned in competetive battling. I would presume that you and your friend have agreed to allowing an uber in your team. I don't know an awful lot about uber sets so i'll have to leave him.

Pokes should have as much coverage as possible. Poor old shedinja is in trouble with only ghost type attacks. In fact, it's a huge liability to carry a shedinja. He pretty much requires a team built around him that destroys anything that is a threat to him, as well as clearing entry hazards and weather effects. I would drop him.

Oh dear lord, don't even think about dropping garchomp. He's one of the most over-used pokemon in competetive battling and with good reason! Replace Dig with Earthquake, Dragon rush with Outrage, dragon claw with Stone edge, and Cut with either Fire fang or fire blast.

skarmory wants leftovers or shed shell as his item. Teach him drill peck over steel wing (or brave bird if you want to re-breed) and put roost over Fly.

Mixpert looks good but if you havn't EV trained him then he could be pretty bad :neutral: replace waterfall with surf and rock slide with stealth rock.

I know nothing about the leafeon so i wont say anything here. But i'll mention that he's a poor lead. I'll let someone else advise you here though. good luck

Thank you so much on the advice, first off. That isn't my team lineup by the way, just my team. I probably should've re-ordered them. I agree with dropping shedinja, hes more of a novelty in my team...i couldnt find stealth rock otherwise I would've given it to swampert over rock slide, and waterfall seems to be better for him over surf considering his atk stat but I trust you. About rayquaza, my friend's team is likely to be completely legendaries and we are extremely casual about the whole affair, though I did tell him its so lame he has no "regular" pokes. What do you suggest in shedinja's place?

Shun Goku Satsu
05-25-2008, 11:11 PM
Thank you so much on the advice, first off. That isn't my team lineup by the way, just my team. I probably should've re-ordered them. I agree with dropping shedinja, hes more of a novelty in my team...i couldnt find stealth rock otherwise I would've given it to swampert over rock slide, and waterfall seems to be better for him over surf considering his atk stat but I trust you. About rayquaza, my friend's team is likely to be completely legendaries and we are extremely casual about the whole affair, though I did tell him its so lame he has no "regular" pokes. What do you suggest in shedinja's place?
Swampert likes waterfall better because it hits his fellow ground types harder than waterfall. For example, Hippowdon has huge defense so even though swamperts special attack may be lower than his attack, it will hit hippowdon harder for targeting his special defense over his defense :cool:

Do you know which ubers your friend is likley to use? I just don't think your team will last very long if he is packing a whole team of ubers. It might be a good idea to get a few more ubers in your team. Like i said though, i don't battle with ubers and don't know an awful lot about them. If you know which ubers he has access to then i could suggest some pokes to counter them

hellk4t
05-25-2008, 11:16 PM
Swampert likes waterfall better because it hits his fellow ground types harder than waterfall. For example, Hippowdon has huge defense so even though swamperts special attack may be lower than his attack, it will hit hippowdon harder for targeting his special defense over his defense :cool:

Do you know which ubers your friend is likley to use? I just don't think your team will last very long if he is packing a whole team of ubers. It might be a good idea to get a few more ubers in your team. Like i said though, i don't battle with ubers and don't know an awful lot about them. If you know which ubers he has access to then i could suggest some pokes to counter them

Ahh, I understand about Surf. Smart.

I am pretty sure he will have his Lucario there, I know that isnt uber but it just popped into my head. His Dialga will probably be there. I have a Heatran in the PC but I wasn't very fond of him, should he replace shedinja? I fell out of love with my Palkia and he fell off my team. Could put him back too?

Zenrot
05-26-2008, 03:21 AM
Heatran would be good against both Lucario and (to an extent) Dialga. Something like:

Heatran @ Choice Scarf/Specs
Hasty/Modest
~Flamethrower/Lava Plume
~Earth Power
~Dragon Pulse/HP Ice
~Explosion/Dark Pulse

Hasty if you choose to use Explosion. Lava plume if you like burn chances, or flamethrower for more power. Earth Power is a strong ground type attack that will help against Luc and Dialga. HP ICE is preffered over Dragon Pulse because of its 4x effectiveness on dragons. Explosion is for a sacrifice but basically ensured KO, while Dark Pulse has flinch chance and covers psychics.

hellk4t
05-26-2008, 03:56 AM
Heatran would be good against both Lucario and (to an extent) Dialga. Something like:

Heatran @ Choice Scarf/Specs
Hasty/Modest
~Flamethrower/Lava Plume
~Earth Power
~Dragon Pulse/HP Ice
~Explosion/Dark Pulse

Hasty if you choose to use Explosion. Lava plume if you like burn chances, or flamethrower for more power. Earth Power is a strong ground type attack that will help against Luc and Dialga. HP ICE is preffered over Dragon Pulse because of its 4x effectiveness on dragons. Explosion is for a sacrifice but basically ensured KO, while Dark Pulse has flinch chance and covers psychics.

Sounds good, I think I'm going to change my heatran up to look something like that. Is there anyone else you would change/ switch up? How does Leafeon look?