PDA

View Full Version : How anime and manga killed cartoons.....................

King Manyula
05-25-2005, 06:50 PM
Back in the day, American cartoons and comics were all so popular. But Japan got pissed because America bombed the hell out them in WW2, and also didn't let them take Pearl Harbour. So they wanted to take revenge so they did something nobody would suspect, they introduced an exciting and original form of animation into the world. This was called "Anime" and "Manga". The Americans were losing their viewers to this "Anime" and so they tried to make comic books as popular as they was previously, because of the awesome might of Manga. They once again failed in their attemts at glory.
The final thing to do was manipulate Anime into their own, unoriginal, form. Animes like this are "Martin Mystery" and "Totally spies", which are all unbelievably crap. And so the Americans and their European pawns are ruining the name of Anime and Manga to this day and will until the Japanese rise and produce something truly spectacular.

Lol, is this actually true? Anyway, discuss Anime, Manga, Cartoons and Comics.

Matt
05-25-2005, 07:01 PM
When was the last time you watched a cartoon? A couple days ago? Yesterday? Maybe even today? The average kid spends a total of 1,500 hours a year watching cartoons, but do you, or any other kid actually think about what kind of cartoon you are watching? Did it come from America, or Japan? It is easy to say that both are very popular throughout the entire world. Anime (Japanese animation) and American animation have both grown extensively over the past 100 years. Anime became a big hit in America about 15 years ago, and vise versa, and both have impacted greatly on their rival countries ever since. There was no problem in popularity between the two styles, but when they went from movies to full length TV shows, only one could be the best. It was a matter of how people in and out of the animation field were treated. Only one knew that to make their industry last for a long time, they needed to work not for the money, but for the audience, while the other was failing, doing the opposite. Most of the critics throughout the many years thought it was not ethical to show Anime cartoons to kids, but that what American animators were producing was perfect for the younger part of society. Critics were wrong. What they didn’t understand was that Anime was good for kids, as well as adults, where it was not “childish” for an adult to watch a cartoon. Anime is a much better form of animation than American animation because it has a larger range of material, a more widespread audience, and is produced for non-commercial reasons.

When watching cartoons, is it true that everybody likes the same topic? No. With the expansion of new ideas it is almost impossible for everyone to have the same interests. Early on in animation, Americans came up with the idea that every cartoon would be similar, filled with slapstick, where characters “could be severed in half and literally pull themselves together for the next animated short.”1 This only allowed fans of this slapstick style to enjoy cartoons. “One main driving force behind the popularity of Japanese animation is how widespread the material is.” 2 More specifically, Anime was “churning out animated mystery dramas, older-teen sports-team soap operas and western literary classics… along with traditional juvenile fantasy adventures.”3 American animation has always been mainly focused on one theme – good and evil. This was based on the Judeo-Christian culture, where we “find comfort in establishing a ‘good’ and a ‘bad’.” 4 Whereas, in the Shinto (Japanese religion) there was no clear separation between good and evil. Usually a character or story line presents methods of both good and evil, or may not even take a particular side at all. I also know from prior knowledge that these statements are true. I have seen many Disney movies throughout my life. There is always a good and an evil. Whether it is as big as evil aliens trying to capture an evil experiment turned good (“Lilo and Stitch”), or as small as hyenas attacking a lion cub (“The Lion King”), Disney and other animators are always showing a definite good side and a definite bad side. When you look at Anime, however, such as in the movie “Princess Mononoke”, it is very difficult to decide who is good and who is evil, with both sides showing methods of good and bad. The good side, including Prince Ashitaka, sometimes showed signs of bad when fighting, and so did another good character, Princess Mononoke, who at one point even attacked Ashitaka. With the bad characters, such as Lady Eboshi, who in about half of the movie is rivaled with Princess Mononoke, you can also see many parts where she helps Ashitaka, trying to fend off the evil demons. Thanks to the greater range of material, as well as the different cultural themes, it is more interesting to watch the Anime cartoons.

So, we know that kids today are in love with both Anime and American animation, but what about the adults? Only one kind of cartoon is enjoyed by grown-ups, as much as it is by kids, and that cartoon, is Anime. I read that, “In Japan…the main audience consists of anyone aged from one to one hundred.”5 This is basically stating that Anime is enjoyed by many ages. There is a large audience, not only through age, but also through range, as elaborated in other parts of my research, such as, “Only ten years ago, [Anime] was a tiny niche market in video stores; now it is a TV phenomenon with global audiences.” 6 When you look at American animation, you see, “Being a conservative ‘civilized’ American society…it would be considered ‘childish’ for an adult to watch animated features & shorts.” 7 When it is hard for adults to watch American animation within the U.S. itself, it is almost impossible to get it far out of America. Once again, I have prior knowledge to support what I found in my text. In my own house I made a test. Without anyone knowing what I was doing, I turned on American cartoons, and my mom told me to turn them off. A little later, I turned on Anime, and my mom came in. I actually noticed that she was watching it, instead of telling me to turn it off. This shows that Anime is liked by adults also, considering she doesn’t like animation. When I look at my many resources, as well as my past experiences, it is easy to tell that Anime is enjoyed by many more people than American animation is.

There are two reasons to make animation. Either, one: to make money and not care about what your doing, or two: to work hard for an artistic triumph. Which would you pick? Most people would pick number two. This is because when you are watching a cartoon for pleasure, you would rather watch a cartoon where the animators main point was to put time and skill into what they did. One quote that proves that Anime is made for art was presented as “Most were dramatizations of oriental folk tales in traditional Japanese art styles.”8 In short, Anime followed oriental art instead of the lure of commercial work. On the other hand, American animation did exactly the opposite. I found that, “The main goal of [American animation] became not only to sell theatre seats and commercial spots, but sell merchandise as well.” 9 This shows that Americans did their form of animation strictly for commercial reasons and merchandise. Even the “father of animated cartoons”, Winsor McCay said, “’Animation should be an art….what you fellows have done with it is making it into a trade….not an art, but a trade….bad luck.’” 10 I also know myself that whenever I see an American cartoon, I see a toy or another related item about it as well. When I watch an Anime cartoon, I rarely ever see merchandise, and when I do, it is a poster, expressing the true art of he animation. Finally, if a company is working solely for commercial reasons, the owner of the studio is getting all the recognition. This is cruelty to the real creators, the artists. With Anime, everyone who worked to make it get recognition. I, as well as most people, would choose number two: to work hard for an artistic triumph, just as the anime animators do.

What I have shown above has undoubtedly concluded that Anime wipes out its American competition. It is a form of animation, whose origin resides in Japan. Anime is an amazing mixture of art and action, just bursting with interest that anyone would enjoy! This animation has been going for over 100 years, and is still a great hit among all of society. Through my research, I have discovered that Anime is growing in popularity and creativity. With its many series all over the world, it is hard to say that anime isn’t the best form of animation there is. There are the beautiful scenes, and dramatic characters; all while you view a world full of action and adventure! Why would you not want to watch this amazing wonder? Go, get up, and flip the TV to any Anime show. I assure you that you will be satisfied with what you see. Don’t forget that Anime is a much better form of animation than American animation because it has a larger range of material, a more widespread audience, and is produced for non-commercial reasons.

I had to write a This vs. That paper in seveth grade about anime vs. cartoons. If you don't want to read all of it, just read the thesis. Remember, this seventh grade. I wasn't the best writer in the world. (but I got 127/130 on it)

Alakazam
05-25-2005, 07:37 PM
No, King Manyula, what you quoted is entirely untrue.

What you have to understand is that cartoons and animé are two different things, and they (for the most part) have different target audiences.

I watched numerous cartoons when I was younger, but none of them appeal to me now. Conversely, I didn't watch any animé when I was younger (then again, there wasn't much animé available in the US during the late 80s-early 90s IMO anyhow), which shouldn't be much of a surprise.

Most animé that has the same target audience as cartoons is due to the corporate agendas of the US companies that buy the material and dub it into English (Sailor Moon, Dragonball Z, Yu-gi-oh, and Shaman King are just a few examples of this).

Cartoons are mainly meant to entertain children, while animé is meant for teens & adults. Animé is drawn with much more care and detail, contains mature language, humor, and violence. Overall, animé is a higher form of art.

Honestly, I never liked the whole American superhero cartoon/comic scene. I have always found it to be boring, cheesy, unoriginal, and childish. Manga and the animé that accompanies it is far more interesting, intruiging, and entertaining.

Conclusion: No, animé hasn't "killed" cartoons. If anything, it has greatly augmented the integrity of animation in the United States. If it has decreased the popularity of any American cartoons at all, I see that as a very good thing :P

Manga > comics

animé > American cartoons

Matt
05-25-2005, 10:13 PM
So you're siding with me on this one. Japanese do it for pleasure, to express folk ideas and feelings from their heritage. Cartoons are made to buy out other companies and make money. They have no sense of reality, and only target 2-year-olds.

!CeMAn
05-25-2005, 10:26 PM
i watched astro boy when i was a kid. i'm sure there were others. there was this one about a prince from space(i think) who lived in half a castle. how about bell & sebastion? was that anime? i haven't seen these shows in over a decade but i think they had bad dubbing so they could have been anime... hell, maybe they were french!

yeah, kazam, i don't know where you see anime as a higher form of art. care & detail? why don't characters blink? anime has got to be the simplest form of animation there is. all speed lines and frozen expressions. don't get me wrong, i like anime and i even have several issues of manga spider-man(which SUCK compared to the american book)however, your preference is nothing more than taste. personally, i think north american comics are superior 2 manga.

If anything, it has greatly augmented the integrity of animation in the United States.

you're right about one thing. i've seen many cool new cartoons which look like they have a splash of anime style in the art, which i like.

Alakazam
05-26-2005, 03:25 AM
yeah, kazam, i don't know where you see anime as a higher form of art. care & detail? why don't characters blink? anime has got to be the simplest form of animation there is. all speed lines and frozen expressions. don't get me wrong, i like anime and i even have several issues of manga spider-man(which SUCK compared to the american book)however, your preference is nothing more than taste. personally, i think north american comics are superior 2 manga.

You don't see how I see it as a higher form of art? Okay, I'll take a crack at trying to explain.

Overall, they tend to be more intricate. The art is usually more detailed (blinking? I consider that to be an insignificant detail that doesn't gainsay the rest of the work), and the plots have more substance and maturity to them. Then again, this should come as no surprise, since, as I noted above, the target age group for animé tends to be higher than that of American cartoons.

"All speed lines and frozen expressions?" I find that to be a gross oversimplification of the genre. I challenge you to go and watch an episode of Neon Genesis Evangelion, and then tell me if you still believe that.

You're right about my preference being nothing more than taste, but then again, neither is yours. This is all subjective. I don't think that I'm any more "right" than you; I'm just voicing my opinions on the matter.

Spiderman manga? Meh, the American stuff came first, so its bound to be better...and I've never liked any Spiderman comics/TV/etc, so "no further comment".

Kenny_C.002
05-26-2005, 05:37 AM
Generally speaking, I had most of my early childhood with anime, switched to cartoons during childhood, and then back into anime after. Saying that anime has an older target audience would be incorrect, but saying that cartoons don't have an older audience is also incorrect.

The whole superhero animation does have an older audience with a more complex storyline (see the 1995 Spiderman, for example). On anime shores, they're pumping out educational anime pretty quickly (I watched a couple of them in Cantonese dub back when I was little). Strictly speaking, the art "style" between the anime and American animation has somewhat merged. In any case, they may become more and more similar in time.

And whether anime is a higher form of art or not, it depends on the creator of the manga (NOT the anime, which is drawn by industry). The whole "care and detail" issue does revolve on how the industry draws the anime, but is generally detailed to the level that budget and profit margins allow (which is still quite high for some industries, such as Sunrise, who brought up Withc Hunter Robin and Gundam). So while anime is art, it is the art of budget cutting (e.g. learning to cut off budget by drawing less figures in the background in exchange for more foreground detail, etc.), and not the art of the drawings themselves. So the manga is an art of drawing, but anime has all been converted into money-making machines (sadly).

This is more apparent in subbing and scanlating issues. One thing to start is that thereare now anime companies that attempt to ban fansubbing of their anime before even any mention of licensing, since it may jeoperdize (crap I can't speel) the selling price of the anime to the licensers on this shore. In a sense, it's become business. For manga, this has not happened yet (only licensed material are banned from scanlating), but I don't know whether this will change in the future.

I agree that manga has augmented animation overall, so let's hope that manga will stay pleasure-based in Japan and only become business in American shores.

!CeMAn
05-26-2005, 07:26 AM
yah kazam, i realise it's all opinions, lol. that was my point.

i've actually only watch about 12 minutes of evangelion, years ago, at a friend's house and i doubt it was even neon genesis. i didn't even pay enough attention to it as i have little interest in serious anime. i only get a kick out of watching kiddy anime like sailor moon & pokemon. for now, i'll take your word that the older targeted shows are detailed and magical. but dude, not blinking? granted, it's obviously ALL anime and therefore there must be something behind it, but it's unrealistic nevertheless.

i shall retract my comment about speed lines & expressions. it was rather "gross" of me. i only wanted to attack your preferred cartoons the way you attacked north american cartoons.

4 the record: spider- man is the best.(not an opinion, a fact :wink:)

Alakazam
05-26-2005, 12:52 PM
"animé is all unrealistic anyway"

1 - You look for realism in anime or cartoons? :rolleyes:

2 - Again, some of them can be quite realistic.

!CeMAn
05-26-2005, 10:23 PM
1 - You look for realism in anime or cartoons? :rolleyes:

absolutely not. i was just making a point when you said it was a higher form of art.

Pidgeot79
05-27-2005, 01:24 AM
Cartoons only for kids? Have you forgotten about cartoons like The Simpsons, South Park, Family Guy, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Futurama, and pretty much every single flash made.

I have to agree on one thing though. Animes indeed have more detailed and developed artwork, but does that really matter? When I watch something I'm mainly watching it for the humor and entertainment, and cartoons usually supply that, but animes don't seem to for me.

Alakazam
05-27-2005, 03:21 AM
Pidgeot79, all of the series you mentioned a part of a different genre of aniimation that I wasn't talking about.

Kenny_C.002
05-27-2005, 04:42 AM
Ah yes, them classics like Simpsons. :)

This is indeed a form of entertainment, but is that any different from NGE as entertainment? No, of course not. NGE's a psychological thriller (wow this genre practically doesn't exist here), and would be considered as a form of entertainment (heck if you want humour, School Rumble and Yakitate Japan will not disappoint...well to us asians anyway XD), so although Zam may have failed to note these, they don't tend to change his argument aside from my "corrections" stated earlier.

And the whole thing with realism: anime strives generally to fit the atmosphere created by the story itself. So you see cute graphics with comedies and romance, while series such as City Hunter put a more realistic style on. So yes it's a "higher" art form as it strives to fit an atmosphere. :)

Oh, and Spiderman is not the best, Batman is. :cool:

!CeMAn
05-27-2005, 05:02 AM
Oh, and Spiderman is not the best, Batman is. :cool:

:eh: are you tripping? spidey would take batman's head off before he could even reach for his utility belt!

there are PLENTY of western cartoons that strive to fit an atmosphere. just like it depends on the creator of the manga. cartoons like the maxx & spawn, even BATMAN cartoons have art and themes that lend to the dark atmosphere.

calling anime a higher form of art is just like saying kung fu is a more higher form of art than street fighting. it's all subjective 2 taste and preference, like we were saying.

we really should be comparing the 2 forms of animation in separate categories such as anime psycho trillers vs western psycho thrillers.

Kenny_C.002
05-27-2005, 05:07 AM
And thus I placed the quotation marks around higher, because it is subjective. -_-

Anywho, yo don't mess with batman. He's in the Justice League that spidey got rejected from. XD

!CeMAn
05-27-2005, 05:32 AM
Anywho, yo don't mess with batman. He's in the Justice League that spidey got rejected from. XD

:crackup: ROTF! what are you smoking and can i try it? the jLA isn't even in the same universe as spidey :tongue:. you have no argument here.

i overlooked the 6 and 9's around higher. apple gees!

Kenny_C.002
05-27-2005, 05:38 AM
lol I love this (yeah I don't understand why I go on sperratic episodes of sheer insanity/stupidity such as this either). Yeah to Batman winning! XD

Pidgeot79
05-27-2005, 05:54 AM
Pidgeot79, all of the series you mentioned a part of a different genre of aniimation that I wasn't talking about.

Oh, I see now that I read closer, though a very big fraction of your posts seem to be targeted cartoons in general.

Spiderman? Batman? Captain Planet can take both of them.

!CeMAn
05-27-2005, 05:58 AM

:eh: ?
GET OUT. just leave.
:crackup: @ "captain planet"

Alakazam
05-27-2005, 01:02 PM
Oh, I see now that I read closer, though a very big fraction of your posts seem to be targeted cartoons in general.

Not really; you just intrepreted the word "cartoon" in a way different from me, leading to misunderstanding.

Meh, none of them could stand up to the awesome power of Eva. Unit 01. (and Unit 01 doesn't wear tights :rolleyes: )

King Manyula
05-27-2005, 03:43 PM
i only get a kick out of watching kiddy anime like sailor moon...

Sailor Moon undubbed ain't kiddy, i tell you.

Shuko
05-27-2005, 07:33 PM
What I find so great about anime that I don't generally find in American animation is the mind-blowing diversity in all respects of animation. You can have shows targeting every age group, from some aiming at toddlers and little kids to some aiming at the elderly. You can have a wide variety of topics, ranging from schoolkid musicals to angsty teen dramas, to serious theatrical masterpieces, and even to adult smut and travesty. :P To say that Anime is made for a certain age group of people is just saying that that's the only kind of anime YOU'VE seen. There's always a lot more out there than you know about. And besides, what we view an anime's age group as being is not always what it was intended in Japan. Japanese are more free with their expression of certain topics that Americans find much more controversial. Topics like death, sex, and violence are introduced to children at a much more early age in Japan, and we can't look at it from a Western perspective without skewing the reality. They're a different culture, and as such they're going to have different standards. And anyway, theirs is a culture whose roots go far deeper than our American ones. With so much history and folklore in their past, is it any wonder that their expressionism and art should be on a whole other level from ours in some ways? Anyway, I've said my two cents. :P

Oh, and just so you know; Captain planet's gonna take pollution down to 0. Can spiderman or batman do that? Hmmm??? ^^;

Kenny_C.002
05-28-2005, 03:41 AM

Don't know, I had the Cantonese dub and it was still pretty "kiddy". Sure there are homosexuals and stuff like that going on in Sailor Moon, but personally that was the extent of it. It's liks CCS, it's got those stuff, but it's not considered adult themed.

Tamer San
05-29-2005, 01:16 PM

LOL @ The cartoon heros :crackup:

sorry :tongue:

But seriously, Goku or Vegeta can take the three together alone, they might even take Superman him self away :neutral: anime pwns cartoon in matter of power XD

Alakazam
05-31-2005, 12:08 AM

That's for sure. Sailor Moon Sailorstars is still one of my favorite series. Period.

...and Kaioh Michiru (a.k.a. Sailor Neptune) will always be my favorite animé girl. :cool:

*rereads Stars manga*

!CeMAn
05-31-2005, 12:58 AM
That's for sure. Sailor Moon Sailorstars is still one of my favorite series. Period.

...and Kaioh Michiru (a.k.a. Sailor Neptune) will always be my favorite animé girl. :cool:

*rereads Stars manga*

i always liked lita, myself. that girl was tough as nails.

alas my true heart will always belong to misty :cool:.

Neo Emolga
05-31-2005, 01:11 AM
American cartoons aren’t dead. But one thing can be said…

American Cartoons = humor

Japanese Anime = action and adventure

Take the Simpsons, Family Guy, South Park, Looney Toons, and a slew of others. These weren’t made to be absolutely superb in quality, they’re meant to be funny. I’ve seen Flash animations that had better quality than South Park, but that’s not the point. It’s appreciated for its darker side of humor. On the other side, I haven’t seen that much anime (reason why I post here so rarely), but from what I have seen, anime is far more action oriented, and is made on purpose for a more mature audience. It’s more of a segmented issue than one killing the other.

Just don’t refer to American cartoons as “American anime.” Words can’t describe how moronic I think that is.

Zuzuzu
06-10-2005, 02:53 AM
American cartoons aren’t dead. But one thing can be said…

American Cartoons = humor

Japanese Anime = action and adventure

Take the Simpsons, Family Guy, South Park, Looney Toons, and a slew of others. These weren’t made to be absolutely superb in quality, they’re meant to be funny. I’ve seen Flash animations that had better quality than South Park, but that’s not the point. It’s appreciated for its darker side of humor. On the other side, I haven’t seen that much anime (reason why I post here so rarely), but from what I have seen, anime is far more action oriented, and is made on purpose for a more mature audience. It’s more of a segmented issue than one killing the other.

Just don’t refer to American cartoons as “American anime.” Words can’t describe how moronic I think that is.

See, we return to batman here. It is not funny on purpose. But it is funny. Nevermind, you know what I mean.

Anyway, anime is only so cool because it is pretty recent in the western world. I'm sucked in. Is anyone not sucked in?

Kenny_C.002
06-10-2005, 04:30 AM
Zuzu! ^^

Anyway, I'd have to say that the sensation of the anime does add to the effect, but generally speaking it won't stop the anime...well at least not with us orientals anyway.

PokemonElite2000
06-10-2005, 07:02 PM
As much as I like my old fashioned cartoons, anime by far.

For one, Cartoons are mainly designed for children. Of course, there are exceptions, but most cartoons are for children, if they wanted something for the adults, they would make something "live."

Anime are designed for both children and adults. And again, there are exceptions, but for the most part, anime like the movie Spirited Away, can be enjoyed by both kids and adults (in fact, for this one, I think the adults enjoyed it more than the kids, lol, I really do think so, there were so many critics that included that movie in their top 10 list for the year).

The fact that anime can do both at the same time, please children and adults at the same time, that's one aspect that makes it better.

About the "kiddy" comment about Sailor Moon... what another great example. You know the reason why people think it's "kiddy"? It's because the US makers made it kiddy. I never realized this, but I read on some websites online that the final episode.... *spoiler alert, look away if you don't want to know* so yea, in the final episode, the Sailors actually die one by one, a tragic death for each of them. But the US version, they simply "dissapeared" or being held captive. You never see them die, so you never see their courageous sacrafice. You may think it's kiddy anyways, but obviously doing something like this just makes that worse.

!CeMAn
06-10-2005, 11:28 PM
Well, when i said i like to watch kiddy anime like Sailor Moon... i'd probably still like it in it's original form but it's still 'kiddy'. By that i mean 'not dead serious'. it has fun characters and cool fights. Not really a grown-up show- no offense to anybody.

Most of my favourite cartoons are comic book stuff like Spidey, New Batman & Superman, X-Men Evolution and Batman Beyond was awesome. i'd stick Sailor Moon in a category with those shows and they're pretty 'kiddy', but not like KiDDY kiddy. lol... i hope i make sense.

BtW, another favourite of mine used to be Hamtaro! i loved coming home after a hard night's work and drinking beer while i watch Hamtaro. All those sweet lil hams!

PokemonElite2000
06-11-2005, 10:27 AM
Well, when i said i like to watch kiddy anime like Sailor Moon... i'd probably still like it in it's original form but it's still 'kiddy'. By that i mean 'not dead serious'. it has fun characters and cool fights. Not really a grown-up show- no offense to anybody.

Most of my favourite cartoons are comic book stuff like Spidey, New Batman & Superman, X-Men Evolution and Batman Beyond was awesome. i'd stick Sailor Moon in a category with those shows and they're pretty 'kiddy', but not like KiDDY kiddy. lol... i hope i make sense.

BtW, another favourite of mine used to be Hamtaro! i loved coming home after a hard night's work and drinking beer while i watch Hamtaro. All those sweet lil hams!
Well yea, you could still think that, and in some aspects, I can agree with you about that. But what I said is that in the US version, they made it less serious. As I mentioned in my example, the ending for season 1, that really down played the seriousness of the ending. Huge difference between being captured and actually dying.

!CeMAn
06-12-2005, 02:42 AM
Aww, dude! :oops: You edited my post? i guess the line wasn't appropriate, sorry! :confused: Now the Hamtaro paragraph sounds fruity...

Yo, the sailors died in season ONE??

PokemonElite2000
06-12-2005, 03:11 AM
Aww, dude! :oops: You edited my post? i guess the line wasn't appropriate, sorry! :confused: Now the Hamtaro paragraph sounds fruity...

Yo, the sailors died in season ONE??
They didn't die in the US version, but they did in the original Japanese version. They also combined the final two episodes and crammed it into one episode (because they edited out the death parts). *Spoiling the ending of the episode...* They are revived, but they don't remember each other or remember being sailor scouts.

Kenny_C.002
06-12-2005, 03:37 AM
Wait you mean that didn't show that part where they sacrificed themselves and stuff? Okay I saw that part and didn't think much of it thought...It almost felt Dragonball, when death didn't mean anything...

King Manyula
06-13-2005, 07:18 PM
OFF TOPIC: I never actually understood what actually happened to Goku in Dragon Ball GT on thefinal episode, could someone please tell me?
ON TOPIC: I've never seen the last episode of Sailor Moon in Japanese. Can someone please give me a link?

!CeMAn
06-16-2005, 12:43 AM
Yo, i know in the second season the Scouts like started all over or whatever and i never really understood why... it's because they friggin DiED, were revived and had no memory of it??

That's messed up! i'm pissed off now that we were never shown it. i feel used.

Jeikobu
06-28-2005, 01:57 AM
Which is better? Are you kidding? I guess the current poll results sum it up. Anime and manga completely kick the heck out of other cartoons and comics. All America has to show animation/comic-wise is some Disney and super hero related stuff, like Spider-Man TAS (The Animated Series), Batman TAS, The Lion King, the Incredibles, etc. Most anime and manga I've watched/read are pure excellence. ^^