PDA

View Full Version : New Clauses...

Dog of Hellsing
06-27-2008, 04:21 PM
Well, it's not so big a deal it deserves a spot in the Court, but I think it's important enough to not get shoved into Chat, so here it is.

I like a lot of the Clauses Jackson came up with for URPG War battles this year. Stealth Rock was nice, though No STAB was annoying, and some others were just plain funny.

Now my thing is, would we be allowed to use these Clauses in battles after the War? For that matter, if there were other special Clauses from past Wars, could we use those too? Of course it'd be if both battlers agree, and there would only be one special Clause for any battle.

I think having more than just the standard Clauses like Sleep or Freeze would make people strategize more, and might make battles more fun. A battle that would go one person's way might suddenly be a more fair game with Auto Taunt on all Pokemon, especially if the person at a disadvantage doesn't have things like Sub or Protect.

Volcanflame
06-27-2008, 04:31 PM
Well, it's not so big a deal it deserves a spot in the Court, but I think it's important enough to not get shoved into Chat, so here it is.

I like a lot of the Clauses Jackson came up with for URPG War battles this year. Stealth Rock was nice, though No STAB was annoying, and some others were just plain funny.

Now my thing is, would we be allowed to use these Clauses in battles after the War? For that matter, if there were other special Clauses from past Wars, could we use those too? Of course it'd be if both battlers agree, and there would only be one special Clause for any battle.

I think having more than just the standard Clauses like Sleep or Freeze would make people strategize more, and might make battles more fun. A battle that would go one person's way might suddenly be a more fair game with Auto Taunt on all Pokemon, especially if the person at a disadvantage doesn't have things like Sub or Protect.
Auto-Taunt rule just makes the game strategyless (wtf, is it a word D:), iirc. I don't like Stealth Rock rule either :(

-Volcan-

Nitrous Oxide
06-27-2008, 04:38 PM
If both people and the ref agree, you can fight with whatever clauses you want. :ermm:

DaRkUmBrEoN
06-27-2008, 05:06 PM
If both people and the ref agree, you can fight with whatever clauses you want. :ermm:
Basically sums it up.

We just don't allow people being forced to do things they don't want to. Unless the thing they're being forced into is the normal way of doing things; then it's called abiding by the rules. :]

-]DU[-

Haze
06-27-2008, 08:04 PM
They could be allowed for normal battles, but I don't think it would be fair for Gym Battles.

Smurf
06-28-2008, 12:26 AM
Someone point out to me what fun a tourny and war battles would be if you could use whatever "clause" you wanted to whenever you wanted to? These types of things are to stretch and test your capabilities for tourneys and WAR. =\ What fun would implementing them into every battle be. Yeah, be fun for a bit, but then tournies would become pointless and boring.

Haze
06-28-2008, 12:34 AM
Someone point out to me what fun a tourny and war battles would be if you could use whatever "clause" you wanted to whenever you wanted to? These types of things are to stretch and test your capabilities for tourneys and WAR. =\ What fun would implementing them into every battle be. Yeah, be fun for a bit, but then tournies would become pointless and boring.

It could also make it too unfair for gym leaders.

Marth
06-28-2008, 12:58 AM
Sleep clause and freeze clause were designed to prevent abusage of some attacks and status. Hypnosing Crobat without sleep clause and a pair of zoom lens is almost impossible to stop. Item clause also prevents 6 leftovers, though it's not that abusive.

The clauses Jax designed...well, most of them are designed to bring an edge to the game. But then you incline the balance too much to the "luck" aspect of the game instead of the "skill" aspect of the same.

I agree with Smurf here, they are good but should be used only for special occasions. I am already desiging a tournament with a clause similar to those =P

Dog of Hellsing
06-28-2008, 02:23 AM
:P

Of course they won't be used for every battle. And not for Gym Battles, unless the Gym Leader says so. Also, neither battler would pick the Clauses: instead, the ref would roll for it after the Mon had been sent, just like for War battles. This might exclude certain Clauses, like Type Clauses, but it still leaves a lot of options.

Also, something like Auto Taunt doesn't make the game without strategy. It just makes you work a little more thoughtfully in what manner to successfully win.

Again, if someone said they didn't want to use a Clause, that would be it. Just like the Hold rule: when one person says no, then it's no. Easy way of asking: mention it in the rules as Special Clause:

2v2
D/P
Sleep Clause
No Items
Holds On
Special Clause?

Something like that.

Basically, the point of this is: if we wanna use 'em, are they legal to use in normal battles? As long as they aren't pounded into the ground, of course :P.

Marth
06-29-2008, 04:31 AM
:P

Of course they won't be used for every battle. And not for Gym Battles, unless the Gym Leader says so. Also, neither battler would pick the Clauses: instead, the ref would roll for it after the Mon had been sent, just like for War battles. This might exclude certain Clauses, like Type Clauses, but it still leaves a lot of options.

Also, something like Auto Taunt doesn't make the game without strategy. It just makes you work a little more thoughtfully in what manner to successfully win.

Again, if someone said they didn't want to use a Clause, that would be it. Just like the Hold rule: when one person says no, then it's no. Easy way of asking: mention it in the rules as Special Clause:

2v2
D/P
Sleep Clause
No Items
Holds On
Special Clause?

Something like that.

Basically, the point of this is: if we wanna use 'em, are they legal to use in normal battles? As long as they aren't pounded into the ground, of course :P.
Maybe in normal battles, yes, but I feel they are a bit too random for Gym Battles and Elite Fights.

Dog of Hellsing
06-29-2008, 02:08 PM
:P Okies, that's I wanted to know. Thanks ^^.

*Thread closed.