PDA

View Full Version : Writing A Character

mytentacle
06-29-2008, 08:39 PM
I'm writing an application for a character right now so that I can use her in my outside writing and a few questions occured to me. Firstly, do you guys ever write characters and never use them in RP? If so, what do you do with them? Secondly, how long does it take you to write an "acceptable" application--that is, an application which would be accepted on the first (or second if it needs minor changes) go-around on 90% of RPs? Thirdly, do you enjoy writing character applications?

I don't think this character I'm currently writing will ever see the light of day solely because I don't have time to RP with her. While I'd love to test her out on a site to see how she would react to different situations, I only have enough time to write about her in my own work.

Lord Fedora
06-29-2008, 11:18 PM
I'm writing an application for a character right now so that I can use her in my outside writing and a few questions occured to me. Firstly, do you guys ever write characters and never use them in RP? If so, what do you do with them? Secondly, how long does it take you to write an "acceptable" application--that is, an application which would be accepted on the first (or second if it needs minor changes) go-around on 90% of RPs? Thirdly, do you enjoy writing character applications?

I don't think this character I'm currently writing will ever see the light of day solely because I don't have time to RP with her. While I'd love to test her out on a site to see how she would react to different situations, I only have enough time to write about her in my own work.
In order.

Occasionally I'll take on a few too many RPs and have to drop out of one. However, I never, ever don't RP with that character. Instead I save the profile and later transfer it to another RP when I have more time. It's too much of a waste of creativity.

There is no 90% usually it takes me two or three days to write up a character, one or two hours per day, but that really doesn't matter. Some characters take me an hour to write up, others take a week, there is no definitive. It simply depends on the character.

Absolutely. I've always seen my characters in both RP and my OCs in fanfiction as an extension of myself. Each of them carries a little piece of me, be it a physical trait, something of my personality, or something that happened in my past, and I enjoy that. I'm painting myself onto the internet in a thousand different faces.

Scourge of Amaranth
06-29-2008, 11:39 PM
Firstly, do you guys ever write characters and never use them in RP?

All the time. I’ve written characters up, scanned them over, blanched, and thrown the profile in my pile of ‘Guano to be Rewritten at a Later Date’. Sometimes the character simply doesn’t mesh with the story… others, I realize that s/he’s a facsimile of one of my current favorite published characters and needs some extensive refurbishing to become stolen, rather than borrowed. Once or twice, I’ve looked at a character and fallen in love at first sight. These, I keep for me. They go into the projects in which I've invested the most time.

If so, what do you do with them?

I always rework them until I’m satisfied—this could take years. Often, I may submit the character to simple RPs to get a feel and provide for additional development. Sometimes, they’re just too grody to expose to the light of day. These sit, generally, until I use them as a face in a personal writing project. I never get rid of the profiles, and will mess around with an idea for multiple years before I retire it.

Secondly, how long does it take you to write an "acceptable" application--that is, an application which would be accepted on the first (or second if it needs minor changes) go-around on 90% of RPs?

I aim for a character profile that would be accepted to 100% of RPs—it’s an unrealistic goal, but striving for your best helps make your best better. Relative perfection takes at least two weeks; I generally aim for five days, at least one hour a day. If I already have a clear picture of the character and love them to death, time tends to compress itself.

Thirdly, do you enjoy writing character applications?

Only if I like the character. I’ve started multiple profiles only to find that I hate the guts of the character and wish they’d go stick their slimy little noses up an extended plumbing system.