PDA

View Full Version : Breeding stats

PKMN Trainer RED
06-03-2005, 03:43 AM
Ok I remember hearing this somewhere but it's been years since I heard it. I heard that if you lvl a pokemon really high and had lots of vitimans on it and breed it something will happen to the baby's stats. I was wondering what happens, sure seems like a noob question but I am playing pokemon again after 4 years away from it.

!CeMAn
06-03-2005, 06:13 AM
DVs get transferred, not stats. DVs determine what the stats will be based on the maximum for that species. There is nothing you can do to alter a pokemon's DVs.

i guess to answer your question: no?

mlugia
06-03-2005, 01:04 PM
sure there is :p Def is always passed on by the oppsite gender parent (Or ditto, if ditto is involved), while special is also passed by that same parent, though it'd either get a +8 (if the gene is 0-7) or -8 (if the gene is 8-15), so you'd have a 50-50 chance of getting the better of the 2 genes. Atk and Speed are random though, but it does make breeding that much easier. =)

PKMN Trainer RED
06-03-2005, 01:08 PM
Wow thanks a whole lot!! *Goes off to buy tons of vitamins for ditto and pikachu to breed the ultra pikachu* :devious:

mlugia
06-03-2005, 01:14 PM
Vitamins doesn't affect the DVs of a pokemon, DVs are preset when the pokemon is first encountered/hatched

PKMN Trainer RED
06-03-2005, 01:27 PM
So I should just breed that pokemon and keep breeding with the new one?

mlugia
06-03-2005, 11:18 PM
No, you should get a ditto/oppsite gender parent with a 15 in Def DV and either a 7 or a 15 in the special DV.

!CeMAn
06-04-2005, 06:57 AM
... why a 7? i don't understand :goofy:.

mlugia
06-04-2005, 12:41 PM
Because the special DV has a 50-50 chance of retaining the parent/ditto's special DV, OR take that gene and add/subtract 8 to it. (add if the original is 7, subtract if the original is 15)

!CeMAn
06-04-2005, 07:58 PM
holy crap, man. one day soon i think you and i should sit and discuss breeding, stats, DVs and stats exp.. just when i think i understand how to have the best pokemon i can get, i find out stuff like this. why can't it be simple as on NB?? all pokemon stats are the same.

mlugia
06-04-2005, 08:21 PM
Ha ha, it's pretty much all covered on gamefaqs or whatnot :/ I admit, breeding is kinda annoying, but at least it's moderately easy to get that Max DV pokemon in GSC as opposed to RSE...

(At least in GSC You have a 50% chance of maxing out at least 2 stats, and HP is a dependent stat by itself)

!CeMAn
06-04-2005, 08:29 PM
it's not on gamefaqs. that's where i hung around before i came here.

All that info is hard to understand and they seem to contradict eachother. i can barely tell what my DVs are. i don't even know WHAT'S going on when a stats is an odd number off the max- i can only calculate if it's even.

Even then, something's wrong because my Piloswine was supposed to have 14 attack DV but the stat is frozen at like 294 or 292 or something. Shouldn't it be 296??

The damn vitamins just confuse me further! even if the stat is lower than it could be, they say 'it won't have any effect' from level 60 and higher :goofy: :goofy:.

mlugia
06-04-2005, 08:38 PM
The EV system is more or less similar to the RS one, except you can have a max of 255 in each stat...

Well, whatever it is, your stat EXP gain after a battle is equal to the foe's BASE stats (level disregarded, of course), and is added to ALL of your stats at the same time. Vitamins would only work, like in RS, up to that same point, though since I forget the numbers, I can't tell you where, but basically like 100 EVs or something.

and if you do have a 14 DV pilo, I feel sorry for you because your HP DV is like what, 7 ._. Better off having a 13 DV atk pilo instead =P

!CeMAn
06-04-2005, 08:45 PM
and if you do have a 14 DV pilo, I feel sorry for you because your HP DV is like what, 7 ._. Better off having a 13 DV atk pilo instead =P

This is where my confusion takes over... the Piloswine has 403 HP- the maximum.

Do you see my complete lack of understanding in DVs? apparantly the calculating method i've been using is wrong :sad:!

mlugia
06-05-2005, 03:06 AM
your HP dv is dependent on your other DVs, whether they're even or odd, so if you have a Max DV in HP, then all your other DVs are odd, thus your atk would be either 15 or 13, but never 14 :p

!CeMAn
06-05-2005, 06:23 AM
ahh crap, it must be 13 then :goofy:. that's so friggin dumb... we need 2 talk. apparantly i've been calculating wrong.

mlugia
06-05-2005, 02:39 PM
lol, sure, but I'm thinking you can figure out all your DVs just by using NB's Team builder XD

!CeMAn
06-05-2005, 07:45 PM
...Why didn't i think of that?

Still, i'd like to know how it's done. i've obviously been doing it wrong:

~i catch a poke, then level it up to 50 with rare candies and NO OTHER EXPERiENCE.
~i compare it's stats at 50 to the max stats it should be at 50. (i get these stats from a gamefaqs guide)
~for every 2 points lower than the max stat, i subtract a DV from 15.

i don't put much effort into the HP DVs, i just compare it to the max and the closer the better, iMo. i only bother with DVs cuz i breed some.

How wrong am i? Could the max 50 stats i'm using be the problem or is it the entire method?

mlugia
06-06-2005, 03:54 PM
iirc, for the Lv 50 version, it's for every 1 Point it's off, subtract 1 DV from the stat.

As well, the stat table you SHOULD refer to with no stat EXP is the pokemon's Base Stats. That's what they are, Lv 50 stats with no stat exp.

!CeMAn
06-06-2005, 07:13 PM
iirc, for the Lv 50 version, it's for every 1 Point it's off, subtract 1 DV from the stat.

Oh bollocks... that must have been what the numbers in brackets meant beside the DV table i use :rolleyes:.

As well, the stat table you SHOULD refer to with no stat EXP is the pokemon's Base Stats. That's what they are, Lv 50 stats with no stat exp.

i didn't know that... that's true? i think that's a much better way. Easier to read.

You're the man, Thank you!