PDA

View Full Version : [WAR] Section: Art

Incongruity
06-03-2005, 07:11 PM
WAR Art

http://sk19hangu.t35.com/art/sig.php

It is currently WEEK 4 (http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/forum/showpost.php?p=222156&postcount=106)

Alright, I'm judging. That's right. So you know this should either suck or pwn.

Before we go over anything, let me do my personal diatribe. My philosophies depend on adapting to the situation, and not being foolish consistent. I like to flow instead of being dogmatic. However, this is difficult to do. Society does not judge this type of person very well, and declares them to be flip floppers. While society sucks, what can I do about it. So, I'll be playing by the rules, and while art will be judged on various criteria, one law will hold up above all.The conscious production or arrangement of sounds, colors, forms, movements, or other elements in a manner that affects the sense of beauty, specifically the production of the beautiful in a graphic or plastic mediumOf course, we all know that true art is nothing like this. True artists don't do anything for anyone else, but everything is for the artist's self; if the audience happens to enjoy it, then that's a side effect, nothing more. And we all know true art is meant to stimulate the emotions, but seriously, that's stupid. So basically, I'll be judging mostly on what looks best

If you ever think I chose the wrong person to win, tell me in this thread. Make out a coherent argument, and I will tell you why you're wrong. (jk jk, if you're right, which is probably going to be most of the time, I'll try and do something about it)

Now, time for the guidelines. While that one basic philosophy of beauty is fine and dandy, it's so vague. Sure, vague is good for me, cause I can interpret it to make my team always win, but that's bad.

What I'm going to try to accomplish is to get the best out of all of you. Most of you for "art" simply make banners. But the banner is so limited. While limits are great, since an idea can be focused instead of going off on various tangents, the banner is too overused. Therefore, I will give you guys plenty of limits, but never the banner. Never the square either.

Also, I'm not going to be a sycophant. If you want blind comments like "omfg I love your art, I want to secks," there's plenty of that out there. If it's bad, I'll say it's terrible. If it's good, I'll say it's decent. If it is great.... well then its probably so pwnderful that if I try to put it down I'll be stoned, so I'll just compliment you then.

Another thing, I'm not looking for perfection. I will point out the imperfections, but the entire point of art being done in 1 wk periods and not 2 wk periods is that it should be original, impromptu, and new. Make something new each week. Please.

Another also. There is NO TOLERANCE FOR RIPPING. If you rip, and another team catches you doing it, your ENTIRE team will be prohibited for the week that the ripping was discovered, AND for the following two weeks. If you rip, and you confess, that is not so bad. The entire crime of ripping is deception, so if one owes up to it, then the punishment will be minor. Only the piece that included ripping will be disqualified. If you use stock without giving credit, I will consider it to be ripping. Stock is anything in your piece that you did not make, albeit with numerous exceptions. Such exceptions include fonts, patterns, brushes, very common effects (like a 1 px border), layer styles, actions, and tutorial-based effects. If anyone has any suggestions to add to this list, tell me. Simply to be safe, I suggest atleast mentioning, if not citing, anything in your piece that is not yours.

Yet another note. While I don't expect perfection, don't be half-assed. Don't draw a wonderful picture and awkwardly paste it on a photo. If it's digital, it should not only look better than the handdrawn ones, but be the best out of the digital. If it's handdrawn, same thing. If you're going to integrate, omg, be careful. I've seen so many wonderful handdrawn pieces ruined by an attempt to make a digital midground and background. Also, if you're going to do realistic work, use shadows and lighting that are accurate. please.

Now, for how the competition will go.

Each week, I'll give varying guidelines (such as theme, dimensions, limitations, judging format, etc.), but if none are given, these are assumed to be the defaults.

Default Judging Pattern
Overall Impression: 55%
Concept: 10%
Execution: 10%
Skill Level Required: 10%
Creativity: 15%

-.5 points for every pixel that is off from the dimensional requirements. If it is within the limits, but not the correct dimensional ratio, I will always subtract the largest amount of points possible.
-15 points for being unrelated to the theme
-5 points for every other technical error (as in, using something that is prohibited, too many entries, etc.)

If your overall impression is good, but it looks too much like the original stock, I'll also have to subtract points, since while you did credit it, it's not really yours.

SPAMing, flaming, not sucking up to me, etc. penalties.

Default Guidelines (Use this ONLY if no guidelines are given to start the week off)
Max Width: will vary per week
Min Width: none
Max Height: will vary per week
Min Height: none
W-H Ratio: will vary per week
Stock: Allowed within the limitations above
Theme: will vary per week
who can enter: anyone (trust me on this; I'll be thinking up a fair and creative way of using this)
how many entries: unlimited
deadline: Saturday, 11:59 PM, Greenwich Mean Time (GMT)

Side notes: Does NOT need to be pokemon related Of course, the forum rules apply, but I will not be the one to punish you. If you have nudity, but its still the best piece, I will give you the points. If you don't follow the guidelines, but its still the best piece (despite the penalties incurred as a result of the rubrik) you will still be able to win.

The format in which you enter your piece should be in red. If you don't, it's not big deal, but do me a favor. POST ENTRIES IN THIS THREAD.

obviously, put your image somewhere within your entry. LINK to your image instead of showing it. This is good for two reasons. #1: it'll save your own bandwith. #2: it'll speed our loading up.

Name: Insert Name here
Team: Insert Team Here
Piece Title: Insert Title Here
Week: Because there are quad-weekly competitions too, I want to know which week # your piece is for
Interpretation: Here is one of the most important categories, second only to your actual image. This is how you interpreted the vague and general theme I gave you. Yes, my themes will always be very open to interpretation. The format can be in any way you wish, such as simple paragraph, poem, essay, etc. How well you do it will not impact your score, but it will help me judge the piece through your eyes.
Other: This part isn't mandatory.

I will also give individual criticism to each piece (unless you specifically state in blue, I do not want criticism. While I'll only give the numerical grades for the top 3, I'll state why yours didn't win, and how you could have won. If you want lighter criticism than what I've given so far, you can type I want lighter criticism than what you usually give.

MOST IMPORTANTLY

don't get discouraged. If you think you suck, don't be depressed. Trust me, I'll be making it difficult for everybody. :tongue:

However, if everyone's pieces start getting fugly, or if only 1 or 2 look good each week, I'll ease up the guidelines.

side note: try not to spam this thread up TOO much... but if you do spam, I won't punish you. Spam's fine, as long as its in moderation.

ALSO: I will be having quad-weekly events. While almost every week will be determined independently, every four weeks, the topic will have been revealed beforehand. This means, when the war begins, I will reveal not only that week's topic, but also the guidelines for the upcoming "fourth week." This is because while weekly competitions are meant to test balance between speed and skill, if I give people four weeks to work on something, it should mean (almost) perfection. While it will be easier (seeing as how the criteria will be revealed beforehand), it means I will have much higher standards, AND other people are more likely to submit pwnderful pieces. Otherwise, the quad-weekly competitions will be almost identical. It is simply the level of competition will be different.

One cannot make a masterpiece in 4 weeks, but it should be more of a masterpiece than if it were made in one week. This should also create a dilemma for the teams. Focus on the immediate or the future? What will other teams do? Will our efforts be wasted if we primarily work on the quad-weekly competition?

Incongruity
06-04-2005, 05:32 PM
Thanks to Dap for this idea, which was shamelessly stolen. I knew I forgot something

POINTS TALLY

WEEK 1

WINNER: Biozone (http://img158.echo.cx/img158/3001/peaceful0op.png)
TEAM: C.i.B.ORG

WINNER 2: Rachel (http://img211.echo.cx/img211/6813/war4entry14ee.png)
TEAM: Assassin Guild

RUNNER UP (no points): Thanatos (http://img231.echo.cx/img231/234/week1peace1up.jpg)
TEAM: Brotherhood of Steel

WEEK 2

WINNER: Neo Pikachu (http://img200.echo.cx/img200/2071/wars44kv.jpg)
TEAM: Brotherhood of Steel

WINNER 2: Rachel (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/RainbowFeather83/pokemon%20pics%204/warentry2.png)

RUNNER UP (no points): Nefarious (http://img202.echo.cx/img202/6922/war4ox.gif)
TEAM: C.i.B.ORG :sad:

WEEK 3

WINNER: Rachel (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/RainbowFeather83/pokemon%20pics%204/warentry3.png)

WINNER 2: VT (http://img292.echo.cx/img292/69/crystal8kj.png)
TEAM: C.i.B.ORG

RUNNER UP (no points): none
TEAM: none

WEEK 4

WINNER:
TEAM:

WINNER 2:
TEAM:

RUNNER UP (no points):
TEAM:

WEEK 5

WINNER:
TEAM:

WINNER 2:
TEAM:

RUNNER UP (no points):
TEAM:

WEEK 6

WINNER:
TEAM:

WINNER 2:
TEAM:

RUNNER UP (no points):
TEAM:

WEEK 7

WINNER:
TEAM:

WINNER 2:
TEAM:

RUNNER UP (no points):
TEAM:

WEEK 8

WINNER:
TEAM:

WINNER 2:
TEAM:

RUNNER UP (no points):
TEAM:

WEEK 9

WINNER:
TEAM:

WINNER 2:
TEAM:

RUNNER UP (no points):
TEAM:

WEEK 10

WINNER:
TEAM:

WINNER 2:
TEAM:

RUNNER UP (no points):
TEAM:

WEEK 11

WINNER:
TEAM:

WINNER 2:
TEAM:

RUNNER UP (no points):
TEAM:

WEEK 12

WINNER:
TEAM:

WINNER 2:
TEAM:

RUNNER UP (no points):
TEAM:

Incongruity
06-05-2005, 12:33 AM
GUIDELINES FOR WEEK 1. IT IS CURRENTLY WEEK 4
-Week 1 is now over

Judging Pattern will be the default

Guidelines
Max Width: 5500
Min Width: 550
Max Height: 6500
Min Height: 650
W-H Ratio: none
Stock: allowed. Make sure you note what in your piece is stock however. Otherwise massive ripping penalties could be incurred.
Theme: peace
who can enter: Unlimited participants
how many entries: Unlimited entries per participant
deadline: Saturday, June 11, 4:00 AM, Greenwich Mean Time

*Does NOT need to be pokemon related

GUIDELINES FOR WEEK 4. IT IS CURRENTLY WEEK 4
-see section on quad-weekly events for more info.

Guidelines
Max Width: 4500
Max Height: 7500
W-H Ratio: 3:5
Stock: allowed. Make sure you note what in your piece is stock however. Otherwise massive ripping penalties could be incurred.
Theme: war (not necessarily WAR; the theme is war)
who can enter: ONE PER TEAM. You can either individually make and vote on which you're going to enter, or you can collaborate on a piece.
how many entries: ONE PER TEAM. See above.
deadline: Saturday, July 2, 11:59 PM, Greenwich Mean Time (GMT)

Lord Celebi
06-05-2005, 04:28 AM
http://img153.echo.cx/img153/7553/peace4sy.jpg
Name: rust
Team: C.I.B.ORG
Piece Title: Peace Leprachaun
Interpretation: Well, my interpretation of this theme was to create something that wants peace or is peaceful.
Other: This is a portrait of the Leprechaun from The Life and Times of Juniper Lee (I was watching the Summer Kick-Off Special). He looked like he wanted peace, what with the Hippy look and the peace sign on his shirt. So, I made him, and made his fingers into a peace sign (I'm still working on straight arms).

Tamer San
06-05-2005, 08:52 AM
Entry URL: http://www.image-share.co.uk/uploads/6f960ed80d.jpg
Name: Tamer
Team: D.A.R.K
Week: 1st Week
Piece Title: A Rebel and a Peacemaker.
Interpretation: You wanted us in here to show you one of two things, and they are both as important as the other. The first is, our idol peace maker, such as Nelson Mandella, and my idol happaned to be Yasser Arafat, and the second is, what peace means to us, and where can we find it. Personally, I believe peace will never excist in the place I live in, until our leaders would be brave enough like Yasser Arafat and sit with the enemy on a table and negotiate(Sp?).
Other: Some might think Yasser Arafat is a terrorist, but hey, everyone has his own opinion. I think he was a great war chief as much as he was a man of peace, seeking it for both sides, Israelies and Palestinians. Enjoy...

NOTE: 1100x1300 is too big ssk, would you please consider it next time, because using Dial-up (Like me), I can't even see my submitted piece. I trie to refresh, "show picture" and everything, but simply, I can't open view it using Dial-up, beside, why does it have to be so big? >.<

HKim
06-05-2005, 09:17 AM
This will be interesting...

Thread: Moved to FanArt Section and Stickied

Incongruity
06-05-2005, 11:42 AM
lol, my mistake.

anyways, I forgot about the size. please LINK to your image instead of showing it. Thx

rust, yours doesn't meet the requirements of size minimum

oh, if you think it's too big... I suppose.. w/e. Large sizes allow for detail. This is the entire point of large sizes. So much is lost in a banner.

If you want, you can start working on the quad-weekly one, which has no size minimum, just a max.

and next time, if you could, just put it in red. Just for convenience.

NOTE: from now on, please include which week your piece is for

Tamer San
06-05-2005, 02:04 PM
Mine is for week 6 XD

yeah, putting a maximum but no minimum is way much better...i hate 1.5MB images -_- (it is 1.5 on JPG), but over 6MB normally XD

EDIT: I also suggest adding/making a WAR Art feedback thread, since it is better not to discuss our art in this thread with other members. For instant, I want to know if mine looks good enough to compete =P

Incongruity
06-05-2005, 02:12 PM
Meh, I wanted to provoke detail within the community here, something that goes highly ignored within the confines of a banner

I have the 4 of the next 8 weeks planned out, (and had them planned out before I gave out week 1's criteria) and none of them are as purposely large as this week's.

side note: If you would like, you may slice your image into many slices so you can go under the sizelimit of some hosts

Tamer, that's a good idea, but I think for now we can do with discussing pieces in this thread. If it becomes too crowded, I'll make a new one.

If enough criticisms/feedbacks are generated, I may take into account the beliefs of others when I determine the overall impression grade.

Incongruity
06-05-2005, 05:58 PM
SPECIAL NOTICE: After some thought, I have decided my size minimums were a LITTLE much. I've decided to lower the minimum by half. Sorry, Tamer, I realize you've already worked on your piece, and you can keep it if you want, or you can scrap it and make a new one. Sorry to anyone else who already made a piece.

Tamer San
06-05-2005, 06:08 PM
No need to change it, I am still within the max limit :happy:

Incongruity
06-05-2005, 06:12 PM
yeah, but you made it sound like it would be easier if the size limit was less

so I thought you might feel you would be at a disadvantage if everyone was allowed to make something smaller

but w/e

Tamer San
06-05-2005, 06:26 PM
I still have 6 days to change my entry, dont worry :wink:

Lord Celebi
06-05-2005, 08:05 PM
Does that mean that my piece is fine?

Tamer San
06-05-2005, 08:15 PM
nope rust, yours is 382x424 not 550x650, so I doubt it works.

Lord Celebi
06-05-2005, 08:31 PM
I fixed my image.

Daniella Defines Divinity
06-05-2005, 09:12 PM
http://img246.echo.cx/img246/1675/peacecopy4mq.png

Name: Daniella
Team: AG
Piece Title: Lotus
Week: 1 (almost forgot this part XP)
Interpretation: Peace is something incredibly deficult to obtain by humans, and in my opinion we can't obtain it except in death. However we do have peaceful moments, moments where you just sit back and are completely content. I find that I tend to experience moments like that when with nature, and hence I used the Lotus flower and the greens to represent that. Peace is also something that humanity is always striving for, it's a beacon of light that we always aim for but never quite seem to get and so we are left in the dark, reaching up for what is unatainable. I chose to use the lotus as it also a string symbol of the budhist faith, and their aim is to achieve enlightentment, the ultimate peace so I thought it seemed fitting. Peace is simple, there is no catchy phrase that can contain it's meaning, so I left it as it is.
Other: I must give credit where it is due, I got the lotus flower picture from this site click (http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.tropicalisland.de/DPS%2520Bali%2520Ubud%2520Puri%2520Lukisan%2520Art %2520Museum%2520garden%2520lotus%2520flower%2520b. jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.tropicalisland.de/bali_ubud.html&h=864&w=1372&sz=83&tbnid=PAX3BdH8yOwJ:&tbnh=94&tbnw=150&hl=en&start=90&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dlotus%26start%3D80%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D% 26ie%3DUTF-8%26sa%3DN) Also, it does have a border, but a 1px white one, so if I have the misfortune of posting on one of the whiter posts, then you won't be able to see it.

Matt
06-06-2005, 01:06 AM
http://img300.echo.cx/img300/990/artwarcopy8vy.jpg

Name: D.2
Team: Team Soul
Piece Title: Return
Interpretation: Peace is the end of the fighting and the free growth and prosper of new life. I made the trainer, aggressively calling back his pokemon into its ball to end the fighting. The quote supported the picture, stating that, not only do we know it's right to stop the fighting, but listening to your heart is the key to knowing the answer. In this case, the trainer knew he must stop the pain and suffering his pokemon felt as they brutally attacked one another. The Baby Kangaskhan is meant to express the birth and growth of new life, and what will result if we stop killing, and give peace a chance.
Other: I really must mention that this picture is 100% my artwork. I worked so hard to go over my lines, color in my pictures, and organise my drawings from no experience or help. I even bought a scanner for this event, And I am very proud of what I have accomplihed. I feel thatusing brrushes and randomly coloring, then slapping on animage is one thing, but taking the time to draw something and make it beautiful through your own style and hard work is a feat all its own.

MystiKal
06-06-2005, 01:51 AM
Wow you people enter fast you know we have all week to work on it right? Anyway don't expect mine for a while i'm working hard on it.

Incongruity
06-06-2005, 07:19 PM
for some reason, D.2, your image isn't working. Check the link?

Tamer San
06-06-2005, 07:23 PM
yeah, I thought it was just me =\

Matt
06-06-2005, 07:24 PM
It's working fine for me....

I'll host it somewhere else if it makes you feel better...but I have to do it later today.

Incongruity
06-06-2005, 09:25 PM
oh, it's working now. Nice work D.2

Also, I have to mention a few things.

Photography DOES count as art. Feel free to submit photos

Another thing. I'm sure you've all realized what this week was supposed to have tested. Adaptation to size. Yeah, each week I'll try to test a different part of you guys. Try to figure it out for 591238 bonus no-prize pseudo-points.

guess what week 4's supposed to test :rolleyes:

Lord Celebi
06-06-2005, 09:43 PM
oh, it's working now. Nice work D.2

Also, I have to mention a few things.

Photography DOES count as art. Feel free to submit photos

Another thing. I'm sure you've all realized what this week was supposed to have tested. Adaptation to size. Yeah, each week I'll try to test a different part of you guys. Try to figure it out for 591238 bonus no-prize pseudo-points.

Ciborg's gonna win!

I knew my Clone army would come on handy. Now I need a digital camera.

Pidgeot79
06-06-2005, 10:09 PM

Adapting to making vertical pieces of art.

Incongruity
06-06-2005, 11:30 PM
Adapting to making vertical pieces of art.er... I suppose it could test that...

but it's relaly supposed to test how well you can cooperate with your teammates (seeing as how it's one entry per team)

Don't worry, if you find one week hard, that's probably the only time those guidelines are going to be used

Matthew
06-06-2005, 11:53 PM
http://img68.echo.cx/img68/8766/peace12dl.png
Name: Kronos
Team: CiBORG
Piece Title: Flight of Peace
Week: Week 1
Interpretation: I picked the cliche image of a dove, but what is peace but an image of bueaty and purness wanted by most of us? I chose a simple depiction of the symbolic-bird to show how simple peace can be. If only we resorted to words and debate and compromise could we achieve such a beautiful state. I chose to keep it simple, because peace, to me, is simple... it's just diffucult for some to understand, and even the most simplist of things are difficult to comprehend...
Other: Stock taken from: here. (http://www.tcdsb.org/50th%20Anniversary/50thanniversary.htm)

Pidgeot79
06-07-2005, 02:07 AM
http://img209.echo.cx/img209/6766/warseason4week1entry1png1lk.png

Name: Pidgeot79
Team: Assassin Guild
Piece Title: Serenity
Interpretation: Peace is nearly impossible if there is more than one living organism. There will always be conflict and controversey. That's why my piece only has one living organism, a tree. Although the tree is isolated from the rest of the world it will live in peace, dye in peace.
Other: This is made 100% by me not counting the text. Also this is one of my first tries in making an actual landscape instead of an abstract render with Bryce.

I'm taking advantage of the unlimited entries so here's the same piece with no text since I'm not sure if the text ruins it or adds to it.

http://img209.echo.cx/img209/4894/warseason4week1entry2png0ci.png

Piece Title: Serenity
Interpretation: Peace is nearly impossible if there is more than one living organism. There will always be conflict and controversey. That's why my piece only has one living organism, a tree. Although the tree is isolated from the rest of the world it will live in peace, dye in peace.
Other: This is one of my first tries in making an actual landscape instead of an abstract render with Bryce.

Incongruity
06-07-2005, 08:35 PM
whoa, p79. Nice job

but if you're trying to do a landscape, try using Terragen. AMAZING program. It's free, and you can probably google it to find a good download. So much potential

But I think it's british. :tongue: :wink: :wink:

Finch
06-07-2005, 09:55 PM
google me, I'm british. The 3d work there is awesome, and the overall standard of art here is high, keep it up, all.

Neo Emolga
06-07-2005, 11:07 PM
http://img300.echo.cx/img300/3463/watercanyon8au.jpg

Name: Neo Pikachu
Team: Brotherhood of Steel
Piece Title: The Water Canyon
Interpretation: Mankind has the power to create new worlds and experiences through dreams. But perhaps the world we create when we sleep and imagine is the world we will live in after we pass on in this life, to live in our own created Utopia.
Other: Original created with Terragen and edited in Photoshop. Heh, you convinced me, SK.

Incongruity
06-07-2005, 11:10 PM
yeah, that thing's amazing, eh?

try experimenting more with the atmosphere, terrain surface maps, water, overall physical map, etc. There's so much to it.

Tamer San
06-07-2005, 11:10 PM
Entry URL: http://img10.echo.cx/img10/6347/abu3amar5zz.jpg
Name: Tamer
Team: D.A.R.K
Week: 1st Week
Piece Title: A Rebel and a Peacemaker V1.1
Interpretation: You wanted us in here to show you one of two things, and they are both as important as the other. The first is, our idol peace maker, such as Nelson Mandella, and my idol happaned to be Yasser Arafat, and the second is, what peace means to us, and where can we find it. Personally, I believe peace will never excist in the place I live in, until our leaders would be brave enough like Yasser Arafat and sit with the enemy on a table and negotiate(Sp?).
Other: Some might think Yasser Arafat is a terrorist, but hey, everyone has his own opinion. I think he was a great war chief as much as he was a man of peace, seeking it for both sides, Israelies and Palestinians. Enjoy...
NOTE: This is my new entry, better brushing, better text, better rendering, better size (smaller =P), better color, better boarder and better blending...enjoy it.

TotodileHop24
06-11-2005, 02:32 AM
http://img211.echo.cx/img211/6813/war4entry14ee.png

Name: TotodileHop24
Team: The Assassin Guild
Piece Title: "After the Storm"
Interpretation: Taking place just after a raging thunderstorm, the entire landscape seems to be reborn again in this particualar landscape. As the sun emerges from behind the clouds, the valley reveals itself, almost seeming to breath a sigh of relief... for everything is again at peace. The two doves huddling up against each other are shown to represent the end of the storm's fury and the beginning of a peaceful recovery.
Other: The lightning scene was taken from here (http://www.jsu.edu/news/july_dec2004/night-storms-logan.html)(first image at the top). The image was blended in with many other photographs that I've taken in the past. The close-up of the doves, the leaves, and the branches were hand-drawn and later colored in Photoshop. The background of the tree was made in Photoshop with the pen tool. Various other methods were used to make the scene look more appealing and realistic such as a border, additional highlights, blur effects, etc. . I hope you all enjoy this piece!

MystiKal
06-11-2005, 04:15 AM
http://img158.echo.cx/img158/3001/peaceful0op.png

Name:Biozone
Team:Ciborg
Piece Title:Abstracted Peace
Week:1
Interpretation:Well I used light cool colors because I thought peace of light and peaceful, I also made a busy piece since not always peace is easy to get. The black is in there for hatered since there will always be that when trying to get peace.
Other:It was all made by me.

Thanatos
06-11-2005, 06:52 AM
http://img231.echo.cx/img231/234/week1peace1up.jpg

Name: Thanatos
Team: The Brotherhood of Steel
Piece Title: A sunset
Week: 1
Interpretation: Something to bring you peace at the end of of the day, the ever constant sunset. It signals the end of the day, bringing the calm peace of night. This particular sunset is distorted by the clouds, showing that peace is never perfect, but can however exist in the wonderment of nature itself.
Other: I realise this doesn't look like a lot of work has gone into it, and if you think that, you are correct. This is an old stock photo of a sunset from my back verandah. Photo was brightened up in photoshop, and a basic border and text was added.

Incongruity
06-11-2005, 02:02 PM
well, thanatos & VT, you're both over the deadline, but i'll let you pass this time

it's due 4:00 AM GMT. VT is 15 minutes late, and Thanatos is just below 3 hours late. However, the deadline is really just arbitrary, and the real deadline is before I go online Saturday to check the entries. this will remain true for the following weeks as well. While the deadline will say 4:00 AM GMT, it will really be anywhere from 4:00 AM to 8:00 PM GMT

and don't worry Dc. Photography does count as art as I clearly stated a few posts above. Photography can be very difficult to master, and if one does not do the original photo well, the editing in ps can be impossible

No more entries after this

i'll have the results up by the afternoon EST

I understand why you guys are late. I'm guessing VT was late because of uploading/red color/entry form. And Thanatos was late cause he's in aussie time.

Nefarious
06-11-2005, 03:31 PM
Guess I'm too late. :cry:

But the entry I was working on was sucky anyway. Well good luck everyone. I'll be sure to enter this coming week for sure.

Pikachu
06-11-2005, 06:03 PM
Awww, I for some reason thought that the enteries were due Saturday night before Sunday. Morning hours for due times confuse me especially because I live in California. Oh well, I'll wait until next time. Kinda tough with how I still have school until the 24th though. ^_^'

Incongruity
06-11-2005, 06:31 PM
Pikachu: yeah, I had to make them due by then because I need to give in the scores by today, so that the leaders can calculate and everything (although I doubt that takes more than a few seconds :susp: ) by sunday. Sorry if you had a piece ready though. :oops:

Now for the results!

C.i.B.ORG: rust (http://img153.echo.cx/img153/7553/peace4sy.jpg)
-Well rust, there are various problems with this picture. The yellow border is unpleasing to the eye, and it is a very bright yellow at that. The red text simply makes it worse; although, the font is a pretty cool font.

On the actual piece, the repeating words "peace" really contribute nothing, and in reality are a false background. It would have been better simply to leave it white as a minimalistic touch. The actual leprechaun is also poorly done. First off one can clearly tell that the body is disproportionate, and to the opposite extreme that a leprechaun would be. The colors are also off in that, most noticably out of the image, the skin is green. Leprechauns merely wear green, they're not green people. There is also almost no shadowing or highlighting of any sort. Overall, this piece, while it does reflect the idea of peace, it does it in an unnecessarily obvious way to cover up a poor execution of a paint-job.

Assassin Guild: Dani (http://img246.echo.cx/img246/1675/peacecopy4mq.png)
-This is a very serene piece. It is nice to look at, and the fractals match the flower petals surprisingly well. I feel towards the lower-left of the flower there was some unnecessary fragment-filtering, but the rest looks very good. Another slight downfall of this piece would have to be lack of location. If you've ever seen Excalibur, you would have noticed some very odd scenes where the Holy Grail is simply floating towards Percival. Yeah, it's that kind of odd. I understand it's supposed to be a mystical thing in a sort of dream-world, yet the flower seems to be completely independent of the background, except for maybe some of the surrounding fractals. Overall though, this was a beautiful piece, and a nicely chosen stock. Perhaps the stock could have been modified more to go better with the rest of the piece, though.

Team Soul: Defense.2 (http://img300.echo.cx/img300/990/artwarcopy8vy.jpg)
-This too is a wonderful piece. At first I wondered how it reflected peace, but I suppose your interpretation makes sense. Considering it was hand-drawn, it is very good, and the style of coloring is a nice twist on the TV-show style. However, this piece seems to suffer from the same faults as Dani's. The trainer, the beam, and the baby Kangaskhan all have no relation to one another. Fortunately, all of the lighting and shadows match up, but it seems to have no relation to the background. The background is pure white. In fact, there is no background. There is no midground. The trainer and the baby kangaskhan all seem to awkwardly be placed on the same 2d plane, with little illusion of depth. I understand the white background may have been chosen to reflect minimalism, but add atleast a touch of depth! This problem can also be seen in the trainer. One cannot determine which way the trainer is actually facing, because the shirt is duotone (three colors if you count the outlines). Another thing, the text doesn't contribute at all either.

The main errors with this piece, however, are all clearly computer-generated. The actual drawings are wonderful. It is simply that the text ruins it, and the background-midground allow no illusion of perspective. I find that all of this can easily be ignored, though, if I look at the wonderfully done baby-kangaskhan. Wonderful shadows, lighting, placement, angle, everything about it is good; except maybe that text which covers it up instead of complementing it.

C.i.B.ORG: Kronos (http://img68.echo.cx/img68/8766/peace12dl.png)
-*druel* I don't know why, but I just love looking at this piece. I usually like lots of detail as opposed to the subtle touches you have (especially that beam in the upper left-hand corner), but this piece is just so calming. However, I look at it more than once, and I see the faults. They are all technical faults. The bird is poorly anti-aliased everywhere. The layer style seems to limit the bird, even though it looks good towards the point where the two wings are meeting. I look at the text again, and I realize that there's some massive anti-aliasing problems despite the fact that the greek letters are a nice touch... The visitor text however is a nice touch on the usual quoting. Spaces and periods... Subtle but clever. The cursive-text also looks good, but it begins to look misplaced towards the right. This is probably for no reason other than that the lighting is changing. I think that these faults can be ignored, but then I notice more. The border is a disgusting inner-shadow. It looks terrible on the left and top sides. I look at the background again, and while the subtle touches of light are wonderful on the left-half, when it meets the right-half, some awkward conversions occur. On the conversion from light-dark, the top half is fine, but the bottom right is kind of weird. One can clearly identify simply polygons. Through the entire conversion however, it looks like brushes have been resized to fit the scale of the peace. Bad. Although, the motion blur on the dark half is pretty good in this specific situation.

Assassin Guild: Pidgeot79 (http://img209.echo.cx/img209/4894/warseason4week1entry2png0ci.png)
-It looks better without the text, so I'll judge that. Well done taking advantage of the unlimited entries. Very well done.

There are a few things I like, and a few things I don't like. The water is a bit sharp/unrealistic in the reflection of the tree, and REALLY sharp further away. It's also very flat. It looks like an ocean, but there are lake-like ripples. That makes the skyline look eerily flat. Also, while the tree looks good at first, there's some anti-aliasing problems on it (although hardly noticable) and very little detail on the leaves and the trunk/branches. The land is also noticably polgyon-like. However, I think all of this is almost repented for with the sky. That sky just owns. The light-source is also well placed (even if it doesn't match with the rest of the piece....) and overall the sky is beautiful... However.. the tree and water simply aren't on par with the sky..

While I understand you were trying to go for a 3d look, you have to use that to your advantage. The tree has little illusion of depth, and all of the leaves seem to be pointing towards the viewer. Very strange

Brotherhood of Steel: Neo Pikachu (http://img300.echo.cx/img300/3463/watercanyon8au.jpg)
-Well, neo. There are a few things wrong with your piece. First of all, it doesn't fit the size requirements. Even if it did, however, the landscape isn't very good

the water does not fit well with the land. The point of contact is very awkward, as you may see. The water itself is also poorly done. The ripples are unoriginal and default, and show little illusion of depth.

The actual physical geography looks ugly. Maybe it's just because the water meets so awkwardly with it, but those rocks seem very out of place. Not only that, there seems to be no surface to them. They don't even look like rock. They look like grey default-render material. The only thing that stands out is the white peak in the background, but even that is strange, because the snow seems to be randomly placed. It seems to have no correlation to the actual altitude of the land.

It is a nice concept however. Like a gateway to another world. Reminds me of the Arganoth at Cair Andros in Lord of the Rings.

The sky, too is wonderful. Nice clouds. For some reason, mine never turn out right.

But even then, it is strange because the sky is strangely calm while the rest of the scene is dreamy. You realize you can change atmosphere in terragen too, right?

The text is a nice and simple, but it doesn't really contribute nor detract.

Basically, you are too inept at Terragen, and it shows in this piece.

D.A.R.K: Tamer (http://img10.echo.cx/img10/6347/abu3amar5zz.jpg)
-I love the concept and antithesis that you used. Your point of view is debatable, but that is why art owns. You can simply say what you want. Note: I'm only judging this one, because... well, it's far better, and this was made after the size was changed

but there are a few faults.

Most notably there is the "Yassir Arafat" text. Bevels never look good like that. Always make it really cool or really subtle. Never bevels unless you have some sort of unique twist of your own. The bottom part is better, but for some reason the white doesn't look good on this piece. I don't know why. The stock too is pretty poorly placed. While it is poorly cropped everywhere, it is worst towards the bottom. It simply cuts off into the background, making it very strange. This kind of thing works sometimes, but meh, not here. It might have been better if you showed all of him down to his shoulders. I like his eyes though and how blank they are. Nice touch there.

The background is pretty nice though. It's not the best I've ever seen, but it is a well done combination of effects. The paint-drip is a nice touch, as well as the splotches all over. Although, towards his face, the splotches are a pinch overdone...

But I think the stock placement/modification and the text overpower the good parts of your piece.

You might all be wondering why I haven't used my judging system yet (with all of the numbers and the categories). This is because I only do that for the lead two (who both get points) and the runner up (who receives no points :sad:). For some reason, this week, the top three are also the last three (although, not in the order of submission...)

Lord Celebi
06-11-2005, 06:36 PM
... You're thinking of the wrong leprechaun.

Screw it. I lost anyway.

Incongruity
06-11-2005, 06:37 PM
Assassin Guild: Rachel (http://img211.echo.cx/img211/6813/war4entry14ee.png)
-Ah this is excellent. Shadows, lighting, depth, foreground-midground-background.

But after a second gaze, there are many sore spots. The drawn parts, when viewed independently, are very good. The doves are both good, except maybe the outline on the right-hand dove. It's very strange how clear and dark that outline is, when the rest of its outline is... not like that. This is made worse because the left-hand dove has almost no outline on its left side.. The leaves are also well done, but scratchy. Far too pixelated in my opinion. Try adding outlines like those used for the feathers in the doves. Nice, smooth, but still clear. The branches are pretty good, but get worse as they go from up-down. T he top branches are best, but seem to disconnect with the doves. The two bottom-most branches just seem like you were lazy or something. Very bad. Overall, the drawn portion is good, but it is very scratchy. If this is your style, then it simply strengthens my next argument against this piece.

Your integration between hand-drawn media and digital is just horrible. Either make your handdrawn portions more realistic, or your photographs more unrealistic.

When viewed independently, the photographs are beautiful, and the slight bits of pixelation and lack of clarity can be forgiven.

The photograph portion is only good towards the clouds however. In the bottom silhouette, this lack of clarity cannot be forgiven, and it simply looks disgusting towards the bottom. The background trees also seem weird when compared to the hand-drawn leaves

The lightning is again, very pixelated and very scratchy. This, however, does not make it look any more like your hand-drawn portion. It simply makes the entire piece look amateur.

There also seems to be a stray sparkle towards the bottom. The rest of the lighting looks like rain/dew, but the stray sparkle is clearly a default brush that was poorly added.

There is one waterdrop right next to that sparkle though, that looks VERY good.

Overall Impression: 47/55: looks very good at first, but details betray the whole. Overall, however, it's still pleasing to the eye. Unlike many pieces, the border contributes and doesn't detract.
Concept: 10/10: Excellent concept. Fits perfectly with the theme
Execution: 6/10: Poor integration. Poor outlines. Poor photographic enhancement. Good shading. Good eyes. Good beaks. I didn't like the execution of your concept as a whole, seeing as how there are many details that were seemingly ignored, but come on, who could resist those doves.
Skill Level Required: 5/10: Well, I really should give two scores. #1: Photography does require skill. However, you did not demonstrate this within your piece. Your camera seems to be very bad, and your digital skills don't seem to be advanced enough to make up for technical deficiency. #2: Hand-drawing is excellent. Considering it was done in a week, I am shocked. However, as I said before, some of the outlines are very scratchy. The coloring and shading is VERY good though. This is one thing I love about your artwork. The style of coloring is excellent. This is best demonstrated on the right-hand dove's tailfeathers. *druel* The main thing that lowered this skill level score is the poor integration between digital and non-digital.
Creativity: 4/15: Nothing too creative, but nothing that's borderline rippage either. The doves are a pretty cliche sign of peace, presented very obviously, so that's not too creative. The scene is also nothing I haven't seen before.

Score: 72/100

C.i.B.ORG: Venusaur Trainer (http://img158.echo.cx/img158/3001/peaceful0op.png)
-blargh. *druel* omgz0r.

Alright, I'm too lazy to write in full sentences anymore

Good: render! Nice point of view. Nice sleek lighting on it too. Material seems nonexistent, but fits with piece so doesn't matter. black paint splotch. those bits of really bright highlights on your render, as well as those really dark shadows omgz0r I love those paint splotches, and the gradient used on them nice background, not too crowded. Good idea when doing an abstract render piece not to do a crowded background (it may look crowded, but you'll clearly see that the base is just white) The render isn't a simple explode thingy. Almost seems like a self-imploding thing, if you get my drift. nice touches of tech in the corner and in the bottom there's a glowing pointy thing sticking out from the bottom-right corner. Looks very good

Bad: A little TOO many tech boxes in the bottom. Maybe half the amount you have there would have been good. Yeah, I realize you were trying to throw in a second copy of the render, but too much man. This goes for that tech in the corner too. Maybe half the amount you currently have there In some areas, the paint splotches are overdone. This is the least of your overkill worries though On the left side of the render, there is a piece of render sticking out. It completely detracts from the entire render, because its lighting is so off from the rest. It looks like a gradient was pulled over them or something, and all lighting of any sort was just forgotten. This is probably just a result of bryce or something, but it looks kind of weird. But meh, not too bad. That barcode is a nice addition, but it goes in the bad section for a few reasons. The lines are a bit too close together, and seem unnatural. They're all big and all close, instead of there being variety. While I love the paint splotches, they look kind of weird towards the top of the render. I can't quite figure out what it is, but part of it seems off

Overall Impression: 45/55: 0mgz0r! This looks soooo cool when you look at it as a whole. But, I gave it a lower score than Rachel's, because its overall impression is... worse. Come on, compare the two, and Rachel's just takes you in.
Concept: 10/10: Different interpretation from the rest I see. Very good idea, especially the things obstructing peace.
Execution: 7/10: Well done. Everything seems to fit, and nothing is oustandingly awkward. Although, some of the tech doesn't seem to fit your concept... Overall though, it seems you executed your idea very well, and there are no minute details I can over-criticize... Except maybe the abundance of tech that is there for a reason I can't yet figure out.
Skill Level Required: 7/10: Most of it does not look very hard to do at all. Tech brushes in corner, boxes down below, and splotches in the rest. But the splotches seem organized to a certain degree. What raised this score so high was the render. Renders are not easy to do. Most of the time they end up as stupid explosive default things. This is not the case. Your render is nice and smooth and sleek and flowing. Very detailed too. Nicely done.
Creativity: 6/15: This kind of thing is on devart every day. I suppose what separates it from the rest is the bit of grunge thrown in with the piece, and its primarily bright. Most bright abstracts on devart are those robotic thingies. You probably know what I'm talking about. Yeah, the render is pretty creative too. Not exploding to the outer edges of the piece. Interesting.

Score: 75/100

Brotherhood of Steel: Thanatos (http://img231.echo.cx/img231/234/week1peace1up.jpg)
-wow, now this is what photography should be. I like how you managed to get so much of the sky, and many layers of detail. You managed to get a very good view of nature untouched. There is also depth. Less than Rachel's, but there is depth.

The text is so bad. Omg. Is that a default included layer style I see along with a bad font? Argh! I think we could all tell it was a sunset even without the text, Thanatos. The text just tarnishes it. ARGH! ellipsis!

well, here's your grade... but before I do. OMG! That text is SO bad!

Overall Impression: 50/55: Out of all of the pieces, this one looks best overall. You managed to get a wonderful view with plenty of detail. The sunset is beautiful, and so are the clouds. There is also one section of clouds that I really really like. The distortion of the sun by the clouds doesn't detract at all. Even without considering your interpretation of it, it looks very good.
Concept: 8/10: Excellent concept... Although.. I kind of feel like you chose a photograph that fit the concept, and then made your interpretation, instead of making your interpretation and making your piece... :susp:
Execution: 9/10: Border detracts from this particular piece. I can't really tell you why, but it just does. Overall it looks good though, and there are no technical deficiencies I can find. Very well executed.
Skill Level Required: 3/10: landscape photography. Photography requires skill, but it seems luck was on your side in this specific time. There was no lighting for you to control, no placement. There doesn't seem to have been that much done in photoshop, either. You also even admitted there wasn't too much work put into it.
Creativity: 2/15: 0mgz0r a sunset, I've never seen that before :rolleyes:

Score: 72/100

-_- There's a tie. Time for... A LIGHTNING ROUND! Well, it's actually not too exciting. Basically I compare the two pieces, and ponder which one looks better

They're both good, but parts of Rachel's are very scratchy and unclear. But,Thanatos has a piece which looks very primitive, and unnaturally symmetrical...

Rachel has poor integration, but omg! Thanatos, that text is SO bad!

Incongruity
06-11-2005, 06:38 PM
The tie breaking 1/1000000 of a point will go to Rachel, however. This is because Rachel's doves are so well done, and despite their lack of clarity, her photos were chosen well. Hers also demosntrates depth and shadow and lighting and overall realism very well. Not only that, the text on DC's is soooo bad. Also, little in DC's pic is his. I said photography was art, but DC's is basically a capture of a good moment, instead of setting up one of his own.

Week 1 Results

First Place: C.i.B.ORG - Biozone. 1 Point awarded to Ciborg
Second Place: Assassin Guild - Rachel. 1 Point awarded to Assassin Guild
Third Place: Brotherhood of Steel - Thanatos. Sadly, no points.

Good work to everyone else, and better luck next week! Even if you didn't win a point, don't feel bad. There was a lot of competition this week, and it was very difficult for me to decide who to award and who to deny. And even if I criticized your piece so much that you want to cry, so what. Come on, I'm some guy you don't even know, criticizing your art when I can't even do my own. As I once said to Dani, "carry yourself with both confidence and humility, no matter what anyone says"

GUIDELINES FOR WEEK 2. IT IS CURRENTLY WEEK 4
-A bit smaller this time

Guidelines
Max Width: 200
Min Width: 75
Max Height: 600
Min Height: 225
W-H Ratio: Any ratio in which (w/h) < 0.6
Theme: Banner for WAR Art; I know we already have a general war title banner, but come on, which nub made that one. This is a vertical one for Art. Quite different from the horizontal banner.
deadline: Saturday, June 18, 11:59 PM, Greenwich Mean Time (GMT)

*This week is meant to test change in proportion. You guys have all done banners, I'm sure. However, vertical banners are slightly different. Placement changes, text changes, and basically it's similar yet different. I want to see what you guys can come up with.

Guidelines
who can enter: ONE PER TEAM. You can either individually make and vote on which you're going to enter, or you can collaborate on a piece.
deadline: Saturday, July 2, 11:59 PM, Greenwich Mean Time (GMT)

*This week is meant to test cooperation among team members. Obviously there's no size minimum, so that's not the hard part. And the theme is so vague that it can be interpreted as anything. The hard part is there is one art submission per team. Luckily I gave you guys 4 weeks to do it.
*if you haven't figured it out yet, this week was meant to contrast week 1

Thanatos
06-11-2005, 11:30 PM
and don't worry Dc. Photography does count as art as I clearly stated a few posts above. Photography can be very difficult to master, and if one does not do the original photo well, the editing in ps can be impossible

I understand why you guys are late. I'm guessing VT was late because of uploading/red color/entry form. And Thanatos was late cause he's in aussie time.

Yeah, you're right. It was saturday here when I posted it, sorry, I'll get in earlier next time.

As for the text, yeah, I know, but it's what I could do in the short space of time I had...lousy exams. Meh.

Not complaining, I didn't even think I'd get a place o_O

Congrats to Rachel and VT!

Now to work on the next piece.

Matt
06-12-2005, 12:46 AM
I'm going to take advantage of this unlimited entries idea.

http://img218.echo.cx/img218/6759/warvertical4lw.gif
Name:Defense.2
Team:Team Soul
Piece Title: Over Destruction
Week: 2
Interpretation:The darkness is a sign of the hatred and despair of war, and the violence that occurs from WAR (not real violence, obviously), as does the color, which I have always believed fits the concept of war very well. I thought I'd take some anime to fit in the pokemon theme, so I threw in the Nightwalker from Princess Mononoke, which, in the movie, was shown as a creature that desroyed everything in its path. It was pure evil once it was challenged by the humans. The lightning is an added effect that shows destruction. A stormy night is often incorporated in darkness, sadness, and anything that is the opposite of harmony. The text is self explanitory, a bold look to present the WAR.
Other: Stock images: Lightning (http://www.atwillett.com/lighting_gallery_01.html) (number 43), The Nightwalker (http://www.threadfall.net/ftw/hatchings/clutch1.html), Cloud (http://ww2010.atmos.uiuc.edu/guides/mtr/cld/cldtyp/gifs/home4.gif).

Lord Celebi
06-12-2005, 04:05 AM
http://img40.echo.cx/img40/3241/banner9vj.jpg
Team: C.i.B.ORG
Piece Title: The Ad
Interpretation: One Word: Advertising. You want something bright, that pleases the eye, that makes people wanna click on it. Royal Red+Sponge Filter really does its job! You wanna make it look happy and fun, and colors do that.
Other: N/A

koolcurtis
06-12-2005, 10:04 AM
render! Nice point of view. Nice sleek lighting on it too. Material seems nonexistent, but fits with piece so doesn't matter. black paint splotch. those bits of really bright highlights on your render, as well as those really dark shadows omgz0r I love those paint splotches, and the gradient used on them nice background, not too crowded. Good idea when doing an abstract render piece not to do a crowded background (it may look crowded, but you'll clearly see that the base is just white) The render isn't a simple explode thingy. Almost seems like a self-imploding thing, if you get my drift. nice touches of tech in the corner and in the bottom there's a glowing pointy thing sticking out from the bottom-right corner. Looks very good[/list]

Bad: A little TOO many tech boxes in the bottom. Maybe half the amount you have there would have been good. Yeah, I realize you were trying to throw in a second copy of the render, but too much man. This goes for that tech in the corner too. Maybe half the amount you currently have there In some areas, the paint splotches are overdone. This is the least of your overkill worries though On the left side of the render, there is a piece of render sticking out. It completely detracts from the entire render, because its lighting is so off from the rest. It looks like a gradient was pulled over them or something, and all lighting of any sort was just forgotten. This is probably just a result of bryce or something, but it looks kind of weird. But meh, not too bad. That barcode is a nice addition, but it goes in the bad section for a few reasons. The lines are a bit too close together, and seem unnatural. They're all big and all close, instead of there being variety. While I love the paint splotches, they look kind of weird towards the top of the render. I can't quite figure out what it is, but part of it seems off

Overall Impression: 45/55: 0mgz0r! This looks soooo cool when you look at it as a whole. But, I gave it a lower score than Rachel's, because its overall impression is... worse. Come on, compare the two, and Rachel's just takes you in.
Concept: 10/10: Different interpretation from the rest I see. Very good idea, especially the things obstructing peace.
Execution: 7/10: Well done. Everything seems to fit, and nothing is oustandingly awkward. Although, some of the tech doesn't seem to fit your concept... Overall though, it seems you executed your idea very well, and there are no minute details I can over-criticize... Except maybe the abundance of tech that is there for a reason I can't yet figure out.
Skill Level Required: 7/10: Most of it does not look very hard to do at all. Tech brushes in corner, boxes down below, and splotches in the rest. But the splotches seem organized to a certain degree. What raised this score so high was the render. Renders are not easy to do. Most of the time they end up as stupid explosive default things. This is not the case. Your render is nice and smooth and sleek and flowing. Very detailed too. Nicely done.
Creativity: 6/15: This kind of thing is on devart every day. I suppose what separates it from the rest is the bit of grunge thrown in with the piece, and its primarily bright. Most bright abstracts on devart are those robotic thingies. You probably know what I'm talking about. Yeah, the render is pretty creative too. Not exploding to the outer edges of the piece. Interesting.

Score: 75/100

I'll be the only one to say this but everyone is thinking it.
I'm sorry, but I think you missed the -15 points for being off topic. There is nothing peaceful about that. It looks like something that would flash on the sceen of a horror movie. And the ink splatters aren't a sign of peace, it's a sign of anger. Like your angry and just throwing things on. The flower looks ALOT more peaceful than this. It's good art, but c'mon. Not peacefull.

Jack of Clovers
06-12-2005, 12:27 PM
Awww, I for some reason thought that the enteries were due Saturday night before Sunday. Morning hours for due times confuse me especially because I live in California. Oh well, I'll wait until next time. Kinda tough with how I still have school until the 24th though. ^_^'
that's how it's always been.... blah. sk, I was gonna post mine saturday before i went to work but you had already posted the results. :sad: you should have made it clear in your first post when pics are due by because I assumed we had all of Saturday.

and so I don't feel like my effort was wasted, here was my picture for the Peace theme. (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v472/lil_leprachaun33/drawings/UN.jpg) :wink:

~Jack~

Tamer San
06-12-2005, 01:34 PM
I'll be the only one to say this but everyone is thinking it.
I'm sorry, but I think you missed the -15 points for being off topic. There is nothing peaceful about that. It looks like something that would flash on the sceen of a horror movie. And the ink splatters aren't a sign of peace, it's a sign of anger. Like your angry and just throwing things on. The flower looks ALOT more peaceful than this. It's good art, but c'mon. Not peacefull.

Actually it is themeless, no offense VT, this art is perfect, wonderful really, but it is themeless and definatly a themeless art is out of theme here :P
Again, no hard feeling VT, but this has no theme.

Incongruity
06-12-2005, 01:50 PM
To those complaining about time: Well, I figured AM would make sense.. and I did say GMT... But alas, not everyone can be as uber-smart as me :cool: :razz:

edit: I'm lengthening the deadline. Mainly because it certainly doesn't take an entire day for me to figure out who wins, and another whole day for the leaders to calculate and add up a few digits. It is now at 11:59 PM GMT, Saturday of the week. Greenwich Mean Time. GMT. 11:59 PM

To those complaining about VT's

You may accuse VT's of being themeless, but that is wrong on every level. First of all, I stated specifically in the first post that my themes were very open to interpretation. Also, art is an expression of self. It is an expression of one's own beliefs. You should not have to conform your art to overtly fit a theme. You should take the theme, develop your own interpretation, and work from that. This is what VT did.

VT's piece may be vague, but his does relate to peace as he clearly stated in his interpretation portion. The light-blue colors (think peaceful sky? baby blue?), especially towards the bottom, represent that hope of peace. This is again reflected in the faded render, which shows how weak that hope really is. Obviously the more noticable render is towards the darker splotches. Well, duh! As human beings we fight, we argue, and we disagree. These dark facets of our nature are so much more obvious than our successes.

But apparently, subtlety cannot be appreciated. Overtly placing a symbol of peace (as in, a dove or a lotus or a peace sign) is clearly a poor attempt at fitting the theme. It means you were not creating your piece in an artistic manner. Such obvious allusions to peace are completely unnecessary. They show your lack of mental process. They show a lack of creativity.

If one chooses to use such a cliche symbol, one should place their own twist on it. Just as Rachel did. Even though there was a fierce storm in the background, hers still reflected a state of peace. The two doves were calm despite all that was around them. Hers had many subtle touches. I especially loved the dew.

The thing is, I purposely made the theme vague. Artists should not need patrons. Artists should be able to create art that they want to produce. This is why I gave a one word theme. You could interpret anything from it. The theme should be a guide onto a road, not a prison to entrap the artist.

Also, if anyone feels this way again, I don't want any, "Everyone's thinking it but I'm the only one saying it." Just say it.

Matthew
06-12-2005, 05:22 PM
I was going to pretty much say to them what you just said, sk.

Congrats on the winners... sorry for the lateness XD I loved both of them.

I'll try to work on my art later for this week... Work tends to get into my way sometimes... :tongue:

I've never made a banner with these settings... it will b interesting indeed :happy:

Rust... your banner is somewhat blurry and it looks extremely small...

Lord Celebi
06-12-2005, 05:34 PM
I've never made a banner with these settings... it will b interesting indeed :happy:

Rust... your banner is somewhat blurry and it looks extremely small...
STUPID PHOTOSHOP...

It loked a lot better in Photoshop...

Damn Jpegs...

Matthew
06-12-2005, 06:04 PM
:eek:

NEVER SAVE IN JPEG format... it is a horrible format that makes your image look crappy! Save it as a .png... much better :P

Pikachu
06-12-2005, 09:31 PM
:eek:

NEVER SAVE IN JPEG format... it is a horrible format that makes your image look crappy! Save it as a .png... much better :P
I always save as .jpgs. It doesn't seem that bad to me. :oops: I just always save it as best quality. ^_^

Anyway, I like these demensions you put up, SK. I like how Defense.2's came out with the demensions too. It looks awesome, great job! This should be interesting. Hmmm, what should I draw. ^_^

BTW, SK. I think the critisizing is a little too extreme. It's not really the point to find everything wrong about the picture, the point is to give them pointers on how to improve so they can get better. Not to put them down. I know you said we shouldn't care about what you say but then if we don't care, why do you say it anyway? Not trying to upset you or anything but I'd appreciate it, and I bet everyone else would too, if you mellowed it down just a bit. Would be nice if you encouraged people to do better rather than pointing out everying that they did wrong. If you really object to what I'm saying I don't need to hear a long speech about how you're right and I'm wrong too. I guess if you want to continue what you're doing you can but I won't be reading all of it. I almost did with this week. Didn't make me very happy. I hope you think about that. ^_^

Incongruity
06-12-2005, 10:01 PM
I'll keep that in mind, Pikachu.

special note: for the faint hearted, you can now type in green, I want lighter criticism than what you usually give.

oh, jpeg is fine, just have to do it 100% quality

and D.2, nice work. You've set the bar pretty high...

Thanatos
06-12-2005, 10:14 PM
I actually like the harsh criticism. What better way to learn then from your mistakes?

Ad yeah...D.2 has set the bar pretty highly...I need to come up with something to beat it...

Pikachu
06-12-2005, 11:49 PM
I actually like the harsh criticism. What better way to learn then from your mistakes?

Ad yeah...D.2 has set the bar pretty highly...I need to come up with something to beat it...
Yeah, that's true. I do like criticism too if it's constructive, not noticing every single mistake and not saying, "Very bad" at things. Like on one of my pictures that I put up on Deviantart I got some constructive criticism that I really liked from Sophie(You gotta know Sophie! :wink:). You can see it if you want here in the very bottom comment on this page: http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/13456849/. Now after months of making that picture I do see some things I could've improved. Not such dark lines, more depth with shading on the phoenix, definently more detail especially in upper part of the wings toward the body. I improved the general things like detail and no lines in this case in this picture that I just finshed yesterday. Yay! Here it is: http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/19371661/.

But whatever. I've proven my point. I've rambled on long enough. Lol. I'm done. ^_^

koolcurtis
06-13-2005, 05:23 AM
Well, you shouldn't have to read the person's description to understand what it means, but it looks like you did that anyways. Must have won on the description then. So a devil with a happy smily face would count as peacful? I could explain that he is happy cause he just tortured someone.
u said "Well, duh! As human beings we fight, we argue, and we disagree. These dark facets of our nature are so much more obvious than our successes." That's anger again, not peace. Again off topic. It common sense, you even wrote it was about it being dark. People in here just don't get it.
also "Overtly placing a symbol of peace (as in, a dove or a lotus or a peace sign) is clearly a poor attempt at fitting the theme. It means you were not creating your piece in an artistic manner." Wow, you got so many things wrong there, and there's no point in saying the obvious.
What's the point of a theme if you don't grade it based on the theme. You can say draw a plant theme, and somone could draw green lines all throughout the pic and say it was vines.
Well, seems like the overall opinion on aim is nobody i talked to thought it was peacefull, that's a shocker.....

Neo Emolga
06-13-2005, 03:40 PM
http://img200.echo.cx/img200/2071/wars44kv.jpg

Piece Title: Blood Cannot Cry
Interpretation: Yeah, it looks a lot like a movie poster, even though that's not the effect I wanted to achieve at first. No stock images were used either, everything you see there is from rendering and brushing, and plenty of brushing at that. Most (Most, not all) of the brushes I got were from 8nero (www.8nero.net/brushes), but to get the actual effects that you see involved more than just brushing.
Other: No use of stock images.

Tamer San
06-13-2005, 03:50 PM
OMG Neo, this is my idea xD
I did almost same banner, differant effects though, but same idea -.-

And yeah, I prefare harsh critisizm, it teaches you better ^^

06-13-2005, 05:48 PM
I can barely read the text >.< I have an idea for mine, but it's gonna be time consuming no doubt, Gonna try something a bit different XP

Incongruity
06-13-2005, 08:03 PM
Well, you shouldn't have to read the person's description to understand what it means, but it looks like you did that anyways. Must have won on the description then. So a devil with a happy smily face would count as peacful? I could explain that he is happy cause he just tortured someone.
u said "Well, duh! As human beings we fight, we argue, and we disagree. These dark facets of our nature are so much more obvious than our successes." That's anger again, not peace. Again off topic. It common sense, you even wrote it was about it being dark. People in here just don't get it.

also "Overtly placing a symbol of peace (as in, a dove or a lotus or a peace sign) is clearly a poor attempt at fitting the theme. It means you were not creating your piece in an artistic manner." Wow, you got so many things wrong there, and there's no point in saying the obvious. Please, state the obvious

What's the point of a theme if you don't grade it based on the theme (interesting, just a few lines above you stated that I must have graded based on the interpretation of that same theme which you claim I haven't used as a foundation for my grading...). You can say draw a plant theme, and somone could draw green lines all throughout the pic and say it was vines.

Well, seems like the overall opinion on aim is nobody i talked to thought it was peacefull, that's a shocker.....Koolcurtis, I don't know what exactly your motivation is behind all of this, but I'm sure you must have a good justification. However, as of right now, I see no reason to agree with you.

An artist's work is half his and half the audience's. The entire point of an interpretation is to explain the artist's half in the event that the audience does not understand the piece. If you put touches on your piece that would show how peaceful the devil really was, then it could very well count as reflecting the theme of peace. However, it would not only have to demonstrate beauty, the artist would need to show his or her ideas on peace by incorporating things like... oh, let's say peaceful colors, philosophies on peace shown through faded hopes and clear hopelessness.... etc. etc. Hmmmm

The piece was not off-topic either. It showed that peace is a foolish hope, because it is so blinded by chaotic emotions such as anger, hatred, and fear. It even reflected a state of peace towards the bottom. Unlike many of the other pieces, VT's spread an idea of how peace is distorted. It actually had a point. Was this point related to peace? Yes

The point of a theme, as I said... is to "be a guide onto a road, not a prison to entrap the artist." I have based my judgement on the theme. Simply because VT interpreted the theme in a different way than the majority does not make it incorrect. Unlike everyone else who imagined peace as the ultimate utopia, VT rejected peace as nothing more than dream.

The plant argument, too, is a foolish one. First of all, VT's is not a scribble of lines. Also, a plant theme would represent an abstract idea and not a tangible object (such as plants); in the case of an object-driven theme, realism would be key, and I'd simply be asking you to draw me a plant. I didn't ask for a drawing of a plant during week 1. If I wanted that, I could have googled plant. I wanted an artistic work based on one's own interpretation of the purposely vague theme, peace. Tangible objects do not allow for abstract interpretations. However, ideas such as last week's do. VT shared his ideas in his piece. This is art.

Also, you seem to be using "i could do this", "i could do that" argument alot. Maybe try actually making a piece, putting your own subtleties onto it, and submitting it. If yours looked the best and was relevant to the theme, it would win.

And about your supporters on AIM. I'm sure there are many who don't think VT's is peaceful, but this idea is wrong on one level, and those supporters as people are wrong another. This week's competition had a theme of peace. Not peacefulness, not a perfect harmony; the idea was peace. VT put his own twist on it, Rachel put her own twist on it. Not only that, they both stimulated the sense of beauty in a graphic medium. Guess what? If they fit the theme and they look good, they win!

The reason your supporters are wrong as people is because they are not voicing their own opinion; instead, they are asking you to poorly debate the point with me. For those who agree with curtis, post a coherent argument for yourselves. I'm sure there are a few people out there who have a decent reason that they can share with me, as opposed to being driven by some unknown personal motivation.

NP: you don't have to cite brushes, but I suppose it is good to be safe.

06-13-2005, 09:04 PM
I'm personally not that bothered, and I'm someone who took part and lost, so you can get over it Curtis, it's not that big a deal. I didn't like it much myself, but then again thats just opinion, I just though the piece seemed a bit messy for my taste.

However there is one thing that is bugging me, he said it was all his own work, but there's a picture of a skilift in it >.<

And all the stuff you've said he didn't actually say in his interperatation, he just said the light blue etc was peaceful and the dark colours represented chaos.

There wasn't much else to it, it just seemed rather "meh" to me because I know he could do better but thats just my personal opinion on it. I know my piece wasn't that great, and I like the criticism I get because I find it quite useful and I know that I shouldn't take everything so seriously. Theres always room to improve on anything, and theres always a next time so it really shouldn't be that big of a deal >.<

Matt
06-13-2005, 10:35 PM
I agree with Koolcurtis and Dani, and am very mad that I didn't put in a background. I believe Dani should have won. Either her or whoever drew that Canyon (can't reme,ber, too lazy).

About the skilift, they make brushes like that. He probably just had a brush with all the others that was an image of a skilift.

Matthew
06-13-2005, 10:57 PM
People, people, people.... art is nothing more than the artist's interpretation...

http://gallery.euroweb.hu/art/l/leonardo/04/1monali.jpg

That's the Mona Lisa... correct? It is the world's most famous painting, and yet, it is a simple Sfumato portrait of a lady on a 20x30" canvas, but why is it so marvled, why is it so famous?

I will try to be as breif as I can.

For starters, Nobody knows why La Gioconda is smiling. That is probably the most important reason, because it draws many analyzers to study the painting. Also, the symbols and secrets hidden in the painting are many. In the Da Vinci Code, if you have read it, The Mona Lisa plays a major part in the story. Hidden within its layers of paint, and on the surface, are many symbols of the sacred woman. For starters, the painting itself is of a woman. ''If we look carefully at the picture, we see that the two sides do not quite match. This is most obvious in the fantastic dream landscape in the background. The horizon on the left side seems to lie much lower than the one on the right. Consequently, when we focus on the left side of the picture, the woman looks somehow taller or more erect than if we focus on the right side. And her face, too, seems to change with this change of position, because, even here, the two sides do not quite match.''* It all has to do with the balance between man and woman and all that fun stuff... it is for these reasons that this painting is considered so marvellous, not because of it's bueaty, but because of the symbology that lies within it and the interpretation of the author only he knows...

*http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.ibiblio.org/wm/paint/auth/vinci/joconde/joconde.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.ibiblio.org/wm/paint/auth/vinci/joconde/&h=1155&w=743&sz=156&tbnid=8WKJgRtlyhQJ:&tbnh=150&tbnw=96&hl=en&start=1&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dmona%2Blisa%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26clien t%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26sa%3DN

Oh... and my entry is soon to come :P

Oh, and sk tells us the problems with our images so we can avoid them in future entries... dur :rolleyes:

TMTS
06-14-2005, 02:33 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v253/WhiteSealeo/p32km4v312c.png
Name: TMTS (Nick)
Team: C.I.B.org
Piece Title: Maverick
Interpretation: mav·er·ick (mvr-k, mvrk)
n.
2. One that refuses to abide by the dictates of or resists adherence to a group; a dissenter.
dicitonary.com (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=maverick)

It was another crappy, boring, and seemingly pointless day in Economics. It was raining outside, with assorted flashes of lightning that made the class stop and scream, (very immature for high school, may I add), with the teach never missing a beat. Durring the lesson, someone piped in with a question about a word on a worksheet that she didn't understand. "Maverick". My instructer went on and answered the question, describing it simply as someone who doesn't go with the flow. Someone who does something different. I zoned out as soon as he went into a breifhistory lesson about DaVinci, Michaelangelo, and even Elton John.

In the myriad of empty thoughts that ran through my head, this forum came up. Innovation? Nah. Everyone does trainer cards... banners... sprites... they're all the same in the end. All the photoshop banners look perfect, all the paint newbs look like... crap... and.... Then I realized something. What if you got something from... everything mixed together?

In this "piece", (I'm using the term lightly, as it is a graphic art), I tried doing something I don't normally do- something unique. Rather than perfectly alligning the text with mathmatical percision, I let it go all over. Instead of using a very professional looking font, I scewed it all over with various texts. Rather than using a stock... ok I don't normally use them anyway, but you get my point. Irregularity was the sub-theme.

:silenced: Now back to the homework I would be doing had I not randomly decided to take a break.

Other: Once again I'd like to remind you all of the programs I use- MSPaint and IrFanView (iView_32).

dark blazikem
06-14-2005, 07:43 PM
hello my people!
I'm new in this forum!
I realy have informations!
But I live in Brazil and not America and England, etc! But I make a picture lock the pictrure!

06-14-2005, 08:43 PM
http://img146.echo.cx/img146/5662/critic0og.png

Piece Title: The critic
Interpretation: Well I thought I'd go back to the root of all fanart, doodles and paint (this was originally done by hand, but due to complications I had to redo it on paint). We were all n00bs once, hence the n00by style to it. It's not quite a banner, but it does represent this thread pretty well and it's goings on, infact it pretty much represents what happens with all non professional art. This'll be more funny to some than others, because some people might not understand the point of it very well, however I won't insult everyone's intelligence by describing the message, I think it's pretty obvious.
Other: my first entry, I'll probably make another ^_^

http://img155.echo.cx/img155/6924/vertbannercopy1kz.png

Piece Title: Banner
Interpretation: Well my first one was very unbanner like, so I thought I'd make this one very banner like. The current popular banner style seems to be grunge with an image faded into it and some throught provoking text complete with 1 pixel black border. So thats exactly what I did, it's purpose (the text at the top) stands out clearly from the rest and as you pan down the picture you discover just what it means. Art is all about expression, and for me it is also used to evoke and represent emotion. I always have a hard time putting my emotions into words so instead I use pictures and colours to explain them as there are just some things that don't have words. Fairies are mythical creatures created out of the imagination of someone, so I used the fairy to capture the theme of imagination and how the mind can create something out of nothing (it's also a very pretty picture but thats beside the point XP). Also art is a point of view, and this is expressing mine. I like art to be pleasing to the eye with an air of mystery and be able to evoke an emotion from me. It's all well and good looking at a picture and thing it's pretty, but you should be able to feel it aswell. The emotion of the fairy does that for me, it evokes a sense of insecurity, she's trying to hide and cover herself up so I let her do that within the colours of this piece.
Other: The fairy isn't mine, infact I have no idea who it belongs to. I found it ten saved it on my computer ages ago, never using it until now >.< So credit goes to annonomous person XP

Pikachu
06-16-2005, 02:22 AM
People, people, people.... art is nothing more than the artist's interpretation...

Oh... and my entry is soon to come :P

Oh, and sk tells us the problems with our images so we can avoid them in future entries... dur :rolleyes:
Yeah, ok. Maybe what he says seems more intense because he wasn't talking about what I made. I don't know. I feel kinda silly about it now with all the people telling me. Lol. Whatever. :oops: I think I'll just go ahead and see what he says to my own thing. ^_^

Good job on the entries so far BTW! ^_^

Matt
06-16-2005, 12:21 PM
http://img102.echo.cx/img102/9543/warart8ke.gif

Name: Defense.2
Title: Erase
Interpretation: I figured I would make one that supported art a little more. The Pencil is made to represent this, even though it is erasing written work. This shows to focus less on writing and more on art. I used a similar color to my previous banner, because I still find it portrays the sadness of war and death. I made the text easily visible and standing out, just because most of the time, my text is hard to read.
Other: Pencil is from here (http://www.nvps.org/New%20Gallery/Monthly%20Gallery/Images/Number2Pencil.jpg). And if you find that my work is pulsing, you're not crazy. I just did that for an tiny added effect.

TotodileHop24
06-16-2005, 10:06 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/RainbowFeather83/pokemon%20pics%204/warentry2.png

Piece Title: "The Aftermath"
Interpretation: A barren landscape is shown exploding in a blaze of flames while an Absol slowly makes his way across the inferno. Its eyes blood red with bitterness and destruction, it has once again displayed firsthand the fate of an unfortunate scene. The text speaks for itself in this particular piece; that is, the one team that comes out on top will avoid being left behind in its own fury.
Other: The background was hand-drawn and colored using colored pencils, while the Absol was hand-drawn and later colored with Photoshop. Both brushes and the pen tool was used to smooth out areas and add clarity. The text was made using gradient and stroke effects. A few added touches were used(the twin bars joining the "IV") to add a sense of balance.

I tried to leave out as much of any outlining visible in the banner as possible as suggested by you sk. No photographs were used in this piece, even though I needed some reference as to how I wanted the background to look. I also tried my best to keep objects sharp and clear without looking pixelated(except mabye for the trees on the right). This entry challenged me especially in that area.

Nefarious
06-18-2005, 01:47 AM
http://img202.echo.cx/my.php?image=war4ox.gif

Name: Nefarious
Piece Title: WAR Season 4
Interpretation: I think it speaks for itself. That, and I can't think of anything to say. :oops: I added the pokeball to remind people that the WAR still revolves around pokemon.
Other: I started out as a rectangular abstract banner. But then I had the idea for cables protruding out of it. Then I added the glow to the text. All brushes were downloaded from Deviantart and the cables were made in PS7. The pokeball was googled. The pokeball was the only stock.

Pidgeot79
06-18-2005, 06:50 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/DaMightea1/WarSeason4Week2Entry1GIF.gif

Piece Title: t3h 0ff1ic1@l s33s0n f0' 84nn3r
Interpretation: Err....I don't really think you have to interpret this piece. The text says WAR ART, which is the theme. I guess you could say that the background resembles the beauty of the competition.
Other: :tongue:

Incongruity
06-18-2005, 06:04 PM
yeah, my bad :oops: you don't need an interpretation this week... :oops:

anyways, deadline is 11:59 pm GMT

good work to everyone... so far

Incongruity
06-19-2005, 03:33 AM
Week 2 Results

Wow, this week pulled in much better stuff than last week, no offense to anyone who participated in Week 1.

I'm too lazy this week, so I'm just going to grade strictly on the rubrik.

Team Soul: Defense.2 (http://img218.echo.cx/img218/6759/warvertical4lw.gif)

Overall Impression: 46/55 - As I first looked at this, I thought it looked very good. Everything seemed great, except for maybe that "nightwalker" thing; it had bad quality, and it doesn't look that good either =/. That, and the piece is pretty monotone, too.
Concept: 9/10 - Er, this isn't a real war. It's basically a competition... And er... I suppose the destruction theme COULD fit... seeing as how the war will die out soon (taking bets right now). But... whatever.
Execution: 7/10 - You really fell here. Stock was poorly chosen, and it seemed as if it was made worse. Made completely monotone, and looks very blurry. Also, the photographs you chose have bad quality, especially the clouds towards the top. The bottom clouds are nice however. The animation was a very nice touch. The text is a bit plane, but it seems to fit with the banner really well for some reason. However, it looks like you tried to add an anti-aliasing effect to a pixel font. Whenever you're using a pixel font, you should keep the effect to none. Not crisp, strong, sharp, smooth, or whatever else there is. Always none. This is me going really OCD, but there's a bit of that A that looks crooked. Forgiveable though.
Skill Level Required: 5/10 - I don't know about everyone else, but it looks primarily like a blending of three stock images, a hue/sat, and a bit of bland color. Further examination of the stock proves me correct. The lightning seems unique, but it seems like an amateur effect. There are better ways to make lightning effects than the one you used (although, it looks good nonetheless). Other than the blending, I see a layerstyle'd text, and a border. Not too skillful.
Creativity: 10/15 - I shouldn't have put this section in this week I realize. Oh well, too late. I suppose that it's pretty creative, and very different from what other people think the war is...

Total Score: 77/100

C.i.B.ORG: rust (http://img40.echo.cx/img40/3241/banner9vj.jpg )

Overall Impression: 25/55 - Very bright. It's also pretty difficult to read anything on that, and the contrasting colors clash. You can't really tell what the bg's supposed to be, except maybe a blur. If you're going to make a blur for a bg, you have to use brushes or something to make it look complicated and cool.
Concept: 5/10 - Well, it looks happy and fun, but in a sort of... illegal controlled substance way. It's not too pleasing to look at either, because of the clashing colors.
Execution: 2/10 - Blurry, and overall poor quality. It would also help if the text were centered. When making an image, poor image quality is always a huge pitfall. When saving in jpg form, one must always make it maximum quality. Don't worry about the size.
Skill Level Required: 2/10 - Meh, looks like a paint job, honestly. Try using matching colors, as opposed to colors on total opposites of the color wheel (yellow-purple, red-green; not good) Red-Purple would have been alright, but the red isn't matching with the purple. They're two distinct colors, as opposed to being slightly similar.
Creativity: 10/15 - Shouldn't have put this as a category... I suppose this is prety creative

Total Score: 44/100

Brotherhood of Steel: Neo Pikachu (http://img200.echo.cx/img200/2071/wars44kv.jpg )

Overall Impression: 53/55 - *druel* That looks soooo cool... I'm curious as to how you did the shattered glass effect, and I was too lazy to look around your provided site to see if it was brushed... But whatever, it looks really cool. The text is alright I guess. Nothing overly special, but it doesn't look awkward or overly done either. I feel the text on the bottom (WAR SEASON 4) could have been done better, but that can easily be ignored.
Concept: 10/10 - Pretty cool, I'd say. The touch of lightning was nice, especially how the text was placed according to it (except that out-of-place DARK :eh:) It shows excitement, something the war is; however, some (as in X) may say that the war is just excitment and nothing else. But I digress.
Execution: 9/10 - I can't find too much wrong with this picture (as in technical faults). Maybe the border could have been done better, as well as the aforementioned text, but overall, it looks nice. I think the fact that there are two shattered-glass thingies takes away from it, but that's personal preference.
Skill Level Required: 9/10 - That looks pretty hard to do, and seems like a lot of effort went into it. However, the easy-looking red background and left side of the grunge border take away from the awe a bit.
Creativity: 10/15 - Yeah, that's pretty creative, but like I put in D.2's, I realize I shouldn't have put this in as a category. I'll just give everyone the same score for this unless it's shockingly good.

Total Score: 91/100

C.i.B.ORG:[/u] TMTS (][u)

Overall Impression: 47/55 - Wow. Looks clean, simple, and a unique semi-gradient. It's pretty cool having those faded words in the back too, albeit a bit repetitive. There's nothing too complex about this image, but it looks so good because of that. It's very clean cut. That text shouldn't have been black though.It looks completely off from the rest of the image =/
Concept: 9/10 - Good concept. This is exactly what art should be. One should be a maverick. Although... "realistic" seems to have just been a filler for R... It's also good how you placed your letters/words however you wanted. Fits with the idea of a maverick.
Execution: 7/10 - No major problems with this piece, although as I said before, the text (pe2k war art) looks a bit out of place because of its darkness. Overall, its nice and simple though; that may be why there are so few "errors" in it.
Skill Level Required: 2/10 - Not difficult to do at all. Nothing here surprises me. Yes, maybe it is a skill to have enough self control to be able to organize objects in a non-strict pattern, but that simply requires control over one's mind. So, even though it is difficult to be able to be irregular (*snicker*) in our society which stresses perfection, I can't award you for that.
Creativity: 11/15 - It's something that few others would be dead caught doing, but not shockingly creative either. Meh, I wish I could help all of you on how to be creative, but it's just something that few have and many don't. I don't, and even if I did, if I were to pass that creativity on to you, it would turn into not being creative.

Total Score: 76/100

Incongruity
06-19-2005, 03:35 AM
Assassin Guild:[/u] Daniella (]30/55[/i] - I would use the "XD" smiley, but that would go against my personal vow never to use the "XD" smiley. Pretty funny, but I'm sure a lot was lost with the conversion from hand-drawn to digital. Overall, it seems like an amateur comic though, as opposed to what one would expect from the frame-to-frame sequences in a strip.
Concept: 5/10 - Blargh, completely missed the point of this week's competition. First of all, it's a comic strip that could easily have been placed horizontally, thus destroying the entire point of a vertical banner. Also, it's not even a banner, thus ruining the point of a banner-based competition. Funny, but no.
Execution: 2/10 - Paint job. 'nuff said? Fine. The drawings are clearly copy-pasted. I mean, it's a stick figure. Do you really need to copy-paste a STICK FIGURE. Just draw the 5 or so lines again. I understand the pikachu copy-pasting though. Meh, overall, not drawn with much detail. If you'd like an exhaustive list of why this got such a low score, pm me.
Skill Level Required: 2/10 - Paint job. See Execution. If you'd like an exchaustive list, pm me.
Creativity: 10/15 - Well.. it's certainly different from the norm.
Total Score: 49/100

[u]Assassin Guild: Daniella (http://img155.echo.cx/img155/6924/vertbannercopy1kz.png): "Banner"
Overall Impression: 49/55 - Much better, Dani. The fairy and the bg blend very well, and it looks very dark, emotional, basically what art should be. The burn-like effects are cool too. Although, the fairy seems a bit too covered up? Meh, might just be me. I don't like my women covered up in soot. Although.... No! Must rid myself of unclean thoughts! On a more serious note, the text is pretty bad. First of all, the font could have been better. Second, the effect is lame. Come on, an outer glow? You could do better than that. If the effect you applied was more complex than an outer glow layer style, you wasted your time since that's exactly what it looks like.
Concept: 10/10 - Very well thought out idea. It would have been perfect, if you hadn't tried the "current popular style of banner". Forget about the current popular style of banner. Do whatever you want. Meh, but that could be what you want, so that's why I didn't take off points.
Execution: 7/10 - Pretty cool. A bit plain I'd say, but the colors make up for it, I'd say. The scratchy details in this piece contribute too, instead of most pieces where the scratchiness is a plague. The text takes away though. The color of the glow seems default (that disgusting yellow; why couldn't they just make the glow color white as default??), and the glow makes the inside of the text seem a bit scratchy. That color also doesn't fit with the rest of the piece either. This gets a low score, though, because I could do a simple render->clouds, and it looks uncannily similar to the top half of your piece.
Skill Level Required: 7/10 - Doesn't look too hard to do. Maybe a bit of brushing, some stock fading. Then again, it doesn't look extraordinarily easy to do either. Meh, I don't have much to say here.
Creativity: 10/15 - Same score as everyone. Nothing too inspirational, but not bland either.
Total Score: 83/100

:Team Soul Defense.2 ( http://img102.echo.cx/img102/9543/warart8ke.gif ) Erase
Overall Impression: 38/55 - Meh, worse than your other one. The pulsing is a gimmick at best. I really wasn't astounded at all by this one. If I look from down-up, the color begins to evoke that emotion of dull sadness, but the upper half seems like a bunch of blurred brushing. Then I come to the text, which is quite clearly a layer style. Bevel, gradient, stroke, drop shadow? Blargh. I suppose it works. Maybe if the gradient was slightly less saturated than it is now. Meh, the main reason I hate those layer styles is the stroke causes any tiny bit of anti-aliasing problems to be expanded into an eyesore. I notice this in that tilde you have, and on a lesser scale on the larger text. The perspective'd text is a ncie effect though. I don't know if it was deliberate or not, but the eraser there isn't erasing anything, and even worse, it seems to be on a different plane than the text it's supposed to be erasing.
Concept: 7/10 - I suppose it's a pretty good idea....
Execution: 8/10 - And that good idea is executed well, but not in an astounding way.
Skill Level Required: 3/10 - Nothing more than basic photoshop skills are demonstrated in your entry. But alas, many people don't have these basic skills, so I guess I shouldn't give you nothing.
Creativity: 9/15 - It's okay to use proven effects, but come on, I see little that's original there. A black-white border, layer-style'd text, and pixel fonts. These would all be fine and dandy, if they were not solely what was there. I would try to ignore these overused effects by looking at what is creative, but.... there's little there. Meh, it's a banner. There's not much you can do with it. Score will be similar to the rest.
Total Score: 65/100

Assassin Guild: TotodileHop24 (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/RainbowFeather83/pokemon%20pics%204/warentry2.png)
Overall Impression: 54/55 - Well done, Rachel. Well done. In fact, it looks pwnderful. You did very well to leave out the scratchy lines that had such a strong presence in your last piece, and you also removed any awkward integration between digital and non. The scratchy trees in the bg aren't bad at all. In fact, they're a very nice touch. A bit weird how they're not yet on fire, but, whatever; I doubt a pokemon's realistic either. The shadow/lighting thing is really cool too. As is the fire in the background. Seems a bit blurry o nsome parts, and scratchy on others, but that could just show the chaotic rubble from the destruction. But... we must eventually come to the things I didn't like. The glowing eyes were a nice touch, but seem a little saturated for me. If they were a slightly darker red, it might have been better. The idea for your text was okay, but the gradient iss a bit weird. I understand it's supposed to fit with the absol, but look at how the absol's shaded. It's shaded well. But, it's not shaded in a parallel-line formation (like your text is). Maybe if you used the dodge/burn tools after rasterizing the text, it would have been better. The glows coming off of the bright points should have been omitted IMO. For some reason, your smaller text seems a bit blurry too. Did you remember to not apply an anti-alias device?
Concept: 9/10 - Like I said to D.2, it's not a real war, but I guess it's okay... I like the idea of your scene as a whole though. Good choice with the absol there.
Execution: 9/10 - but.. is that absol a little big? The minor "errors" in your piece have all been highlighted in the overall impression section. Text & eyes. Seriously though, that absol seems huge. If you focus on the head, it's not that bad, but if you focus on the area between the absol's legs and the trees, it looks huge.
Skill Level Required: 9/10 - It's difficult to think of a realistic scene, because there are so many rules to follow in lighting, perspective, etc. However, you pulled through very well. Unfortunately, you need to work on your digital skills. Text, eye-glow, and maybe even the border could have been improved.
Creativity: 10/15 - Nothing shocking, nothing boring

C.i.B.ORG: Nefarious (http://img202.echo.cx/img202/6922/war4ox.gif)
Overall Impression: 54/55 - Looks very cool at first. If I look at the actual picture though (As opposed to the presentation form you linked me to) I realize that the top and bottom-right were cut off =/ Meh, minor problem. It all seems to blend really well though, and the central logo looks very cool. The wires are also a nice touch. Lightning seems to come out of nowhere though. Any lightning in the top half of the banner looks weird IMO. It covers up some of the tech and wires. Speaking of tech, well done. It seems to all connect, and actually have a point. Some of the grunge in the bottom-left corner seems to not fit, but it's all good. The beveled border is nice too.
Concept: 10/10 - Good choice including the pokeball. Good idea in general. You made it very complex, very multi-faceted, very cool.
Execution: 9/10 - It was also executed very well. Maybe that lightning could have been fixed, but it's fine even with it. You should have made sure that everything was inside the canvas though. There's some stuff that seems to have been cut. Then there's this weird glow on the right side, maybe 65 pixels above the corner. You have to watch for those things.
Skill Level Required: 9/10 - Everything seems to have been well blended, and the different aspects of the piece actually seem to interact. The varied border is also a nice touch. I think this must have been very difficult to do, and even more difficult to plan.
Creativity: 9/15 - Most wh0red out effects ever are present within this sig. Wires, scan lines, brushes, tech lines. Not creative at all. Then again, you might be being a nonconformist by using these techniques, because everyone else is too afraid to use them :eh:

Incongruity
06-19-2005, 03:38 AM
Assassin Guild: Pidgeot79 (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/DaMightea1/WarSeason4Week2Entry1GIF.gif)

Overall Impression: 48/55 - I look at this piece, and I immediately think brush. It looks good, but very brushed. The abstract-ish bg shows that, and the tech to the side shows that. Usually even when a piece is brushed, it doesn't take away from the illusion, but right now its so obvious that it detracts from the value of the image. Even if they were your own brushes, it looks really weird because it's such a tumble of faded things. Other than that though, it looks good. Maybe the text could have been done better, but whatever.
Concept: 7/10 - Meh, it reflects what art is, I guess. There seems to not be too much of an actual concept behind this, but.... blah
Execution: 7/10 - The text. Massive problems with that anti-aliasing. Even without that though, the drop shadow seems weird because it's so far away from the actual text (relative to the size of the text). You made the text so small, but I think that font was designed for larger sizes =/.
Skill Level Required: 5/10 - Meh, the text looks really easy, as does the tech to the side. But then again, he only reason tech ever looks difficult is if its really unique. The bg itself, as I said before, looks brushed. As I write this, I realize what I mean by looking brushed. It looks random. It looks as if its all faded. It looks like there is so little contrast, and nothing seems to fit, because its all been re-arranged brushing. In other words, brushing takes away detail
Creativity: 9/15 - Blah, a little on the unoriginal side.

Total Score: 76/100[/size]

Winner:

Yes, I do these ties on purpose.

Nefarious-Rachel-NP

If I could, I'd give points to all of you

But I can't

So, there were a few things that bugged me about all of your stuff. Nefarious had those pesky croppings on his image, Rachel's absol was huge, and NP's looked less "cool" than the other two, now that I think about it.

So....

Winner:

-Brotherhood of Steel: Neo Pikachu
-Assassin Guild: Rachel

Honorable Mention: Nefarious

It is currently WEEK 3 (inserturlhere)

GUIDELINES FOR WEEK 3. IT IS CURRENTLY WEEK 4
-A bit smaller this time

Guidelines
Max Width: none
Max Height: none
W-H Ratio: Any ratio in which the W > H
Theme: Minimalism; NOT simplicity. I want minimalism. This does NOT mean having no details. This is to test how subtly you can place those same details while maintaining the same illusion of art. A good example of minimalism would have to be in some of the more taoist Japanese scroll paintings. A bad example of minimalism would be the usual nubly paint drawing. Works that are not minimalistic would be basically any type of Renaissance painting.

This is minimalism (http://www.ukiyoe-gallery.com/ukiyoe/b523.jpg)
This is not (http://www.worth1000.com/web/media/7050/trumbull_signing_of_declaration_of_independence.jp g)
Bad minimalism (http://tinypic.com/5wxlr9)
Good minimalism (http://www.deviantart.com/view/19292236)

deadline: Saturday, June 25, 11:59 PM, Greenwich Mean Time

*This week is meant to test change your ability to do a lot in a little. How well can you compress your ideas into simple-looking yet deep and thoughtful images.

Guidelines
deadline: Saturday, July 2, 11:59 PM, Greenwich Mean Time

*This week is meant to test cooperation among team members. Obviously there's no size minimum, so that's not the hard part. And the theme is so vague that it can be interpreted as anything. The hard part is there is one art submission per team. Luckily I gave you guys 4 weeks to do it.

-remind me to update the link in the front page
-and the record of winners in the second post
-and to make a rotating banner of these three to use as a banner for this thread

06-19-2005, 07:27 PM
Wh00t that means 4th, not enough to get a mention but good enough for me because it means I must be doing something right XP

Anyway, whould something like Bio's latest sig be considered minimalistic? I'm just trying to build up a better idea of what you mean by it, I've got a couple of ideas but nothing too solid at the moment XP

Pikachu
06-19-2005, 08:09 PM
Wh00t that means 4th, not enough to get a mention but good enough for me because it means I must be doing something right XP

Anyway, whould something like Bio's latest sig be considered minimalistic? I'm just trying to build up a better idea of what you mean by it, I've got a couple of ideas but nothing too solid at the moment XP
You could probably call his sig minimalistic. I think I've got a pretty good idea of it. I could give you some links. Hmmm, I'll just look in the Minimalism category on Deviantart. ^_^

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/6593820/
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/6148195/
http://www.deviantart.com/view/999203/
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/2726600/
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/2942902/

Anyway, I think you got the idea. I tend to think Minimalism to have one picture with a bunch of emptyish space around it. You could probably even call the lotus picture you submitted for the first week minamlistic. Maybe without all the brushing though. ^_^

Incongruity
06-20-2005, 01:09 PM
Yes, I suppose those examples would work; basically subtlety is key.

Because of the two-week special event, I won't go uber-crazy judging all of your pieces for the next two weeks.

06-20-2005, 05:13 PM
http://img11.echo.cx/img11/2769/flamescopy7nh.png

Title: Ilumination
Week: 3
Interpretation: I was playing with my friends lighter at college today and just admiring the flame on it when the idea hit me. I just thought that light is what lets us see so within it you can see the image of the Rapidash, but outside it you can't. Uhhh... can't think of much to write actually >.<
Other: I'm still pretty clueless on the concept of minimlism so wether this is it or not I don't know, Rapidash is from the pe2k site.

Matt
06-20-2005, 05:38 PM
http://img260.echo.cx/img260/7355/foxcopy8ym.jpg

Title: Arctic Beauty
Interpretation: I just tried to fit as much of the fox's beauty as I could into a centered area. Minimalism is focusing as much as you can to fit art in a small area, and I found that surrounding the small fox in a spray of snowflakes and glitter was a good way to represent this.
Other: Stocks are just the two snowflakes: This is the big snowflake (http://www.kacha-stones.com/images/snow1.jpg),and this is the smaller one (https://project1.caryacademy.org/echoes/03-04/ws_merwin/images/snowflake-%20drifting-modifyed.jpg).

Incongruity
06-20-2005, 05:39 PM
D.2, nice, but read the criteria again; carefully this time

Matt
06-20-2005, 05:44 PM
Oh, I didn't realize what W>H was until now, but I admit, I didn't see that the first time. I'll fix it.

Pidgeot79
06-20-2005, 08:49 PM
Do we need to interpret this week's entry too?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/DaMightea1/e.gif
Title: The Path
Interpretation: It's minimalism, at least I hope so.
Other: Not sure if this fits into the theme.

I'l probably do a second entry.

Pikachu
06-21-2005, 01:17 AM
It seems that you guys aren't really sure on what Minimalism is so you must not know what the word itself means. Here's the definition:

"Minimalism n. a movement of abstract artists who produce uncluttered paintings and sculptures that make use of basic colors and geometric shapes in arrangements which do not reflect the artist's personal opinions. The movement originated in New York in the 1960s." -
Microsoft Encarta dictionary

I changed the end part of the first sentence a bit though just to make it clearer.

I actually wasn't sure on what it meant myself. Good thing I cleared that up. So in other words, fairly abstract. I don't suggest you use your fancy Photoshop brushes or layers of pictures. :wink:

Daniella: Sorry, but I don't think your entry is minimalism. Still see what Sk thinks about it though.

.AzureLight
06-21-2005, 02:08 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/LaN_scyther_66/minimalism.jpg

Name: Lan
Title: Stardust
Interpretation: It's minimalism in the following ways; a) I used only 3 brushes. b) The color is focused around Staryu, which is the concentrated part. The rest is all the same thing just layered on top of each other, duplicated.
Other: Only 1/4 of the picture is colored! But, the way I made it, illusions have it that it seems like more than 1/4 is colored! :oops:
Stock: Ken Sugimori's Staryu picture

I'm going to make another one as well!

Pidgeot79
06-21-2005, 03:37 AM
It seems that you guys aren't really sure on what Minimalism is so you must not know what the word itself means. Here's the definition:

"Minimalism n. a movement of abstract artists who produce uncluttered paintings and sculptures that make use of basic colors and geometric shapes in arrangements which do not reflect the artist's personal opinions. The movement originated in New York in the 1960s." -
Microsoft Encarta dictionary

I changed the end part of the first sentence a bit though just to make it clearer.

I actually wasn't sure on what it meant myself. Good thing I cleared that up. So in other words, fairly abstract. I don't suggest you use your fancy Photoshop brushes or layers of pictures. :wink:

Daniella: Sorry, but I don't think your entry is minimalism. Still see what Sk thinks about it though.

You didn't mention my name so that means it fits the theme right?

Pikachu
06-21-2005, 04:00 AM
You didn't mention my name so that means it fits the theme right?
It should be fine. ^_^

I kinda feel like I'm somewhat taking Sk's job. That's not what I'm trying to do though. :oops: Would make me feel better if you see that the definition fits, Sk. There was another definition that could've fit. ^_^'

Incongruity
06-21-2005, 06:36 PM
ehhhhhh... I suppose you guys are being minimalistic :neutral:

isn't quite turning out how I expected.... but..

blah, just remember not to confuse minimalistic with crappy.

"Minimalism n. a movement of abstract artists who produce uncluttered paintings and sculptures that make use of basic colors and geometric shapes in arrangements which do not reflect the artist's personal opinions. The movement originated in New York in the 1960s.

that's ok, but the "basic colors" and "geometric shapes" isn't really necessary.

Uncluttered is basically what is key

Matt
06-21-2005, 09:11 PM
Could've said that before I made this, but I'll enter it anyway:

http://img173.echo.cx/img173/70/rabbittrap9iu.jpg

Title: Rabbit Trap
Interpretation: I listened to the definition and made geometric shapes and simple colors, which seems to resemble minimalism.
Other: All me.

Matt
06-21-2005, 10:59 PM
More of simplicity at its finest

http://img216.echo.cx/img216/676/snakes6lo.jpg

Title: Snakes
Interpretation: A simple blend of colors and shapes, wit some added effect of a face.
Other: Stock (http://www.obkb.com/dcljr/IMAGES/beauty/beauty2.jpg)

Pidgeot79
06-22-2005, 08:39 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/DaMightea1/d70c111a.gif

Title: The Thing From the Other Side
Interpretation: Looks pretty uncluttered to me.
Other: fhqwagads

Neo Emolga
06-22-2005, 02:33 PM
Okay, hope I'm doing this right and not making a fool out of myself. :oops:

http://img72.echo.cx/img72/5821/nycminimalist9bn.jpg

Title: The NYC Skyline at Sunset
Interpretation: Using basic geometrical shapes and a few gradients is how I made this one. No brushing, no stock photos, and no filtering either. It's simple but I hope it's not too simple.

Matt
06-22-2005, 02:35 PM
Why not?

http://img146.echo.cx/img146/1694/seasonoffallingembers0hl.jpg

Team: Team soul
Title: Season of falling Embers
Interpretation: It's just one brish, and a simple desingn.

Thanatos
06-22-2005, 02:45 PM
http://img189.echo.cx/img189/9148/week3minimalism1mq.jpg

Name: Thanatos
Title: A Tranquil Moonlit Night
Interpretation: There are two moons there, yes, I know, but there is also a bluish glow. It's an alien planet...that's it. There's a reflection, not four moons.
Other: I used a star brush (to save time).

06-22-2005, 04:07 PM
http://img98.echo.cx/img98/5223/bluecopy6jy.png

Title: Infinity
Interpretation: Some people say the universe is infinite, others believe is it. In this piece there is no distinct boundary, it just fades into the unknown
Other: It's all mine! Yay me, I'm quite proud of myself for this piece ^_^

Matt
06-22-2005, 07:19 PM
Last one, I swear.

http://img214.echo.cx/img214/7614/perchcopy0ho.jpg

Title: Perch
Interpretation. What's there to interpret, it's simple. There are only three colors, no brushes used, just a simple design.

.AzureLight
06-23-2005, 06:12 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/LaN_scyther_66/perfection.jpg

Name: Lan
Title: Perfection
Interpretation: Perfection is something peaceful... but it's image is always different. I looked at this piece and first thing that came to mind was perfection.
Other: Only the basic PS 5.0 brushes used here!
Stock: None

MystiKal
06-23-2005, 07:11 PM
http://img292.echo.cx/img292/69/crystal8kj.png

Name: VT
Team: Ciborg
Title: The Crystal
Interpretation: I hope this fits the theme I had trouble with it, I basically used simple calm green colors.
Other: All by me.
Stock: None

Pryce
06-23-2005, 10:58 PM
Although I'm not all that great, I'll try. Might as well...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/demonuncle/pokemon_pryce_ciborg_process.png

Name: Pryce
Title: Conflict is Inevitable
Interpretation: Basically what team C.I.B.ORG is all about: Humans search for peace on Earth and there's no way it'll ever happen. Hatred shall exist as long as there is life and organisms or things that are capable of thinking for themselves... not to mention things that are incapable of death that can carry on this hatred...
Other: This actually was just a doodle I did up after one of my finals and I think I put it to some good use no matter if this gets me anywhere or not... This isn't really minimalism either, is it? If the test wasn't there, maybe... This is also for the most part, rather incomplete... But again, I guess this'll be worth the try. Here's the image before the digital manipulation (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/demonuncle/pokemon_pryce_ciborg.jpg).
Stock: Absolutely none, unless you count the font, the team quote, and the use of a copyrighted character. :oops:

Pryce
06-24-2005, 06:57 PM
This one I hope is more "minimalisumy" than my other one...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/demonuncle/pokemon_lapras_minimalism2.png
Name: Pryce
Title: Darkness Goes Unseen
Interpretation: I tried to create a dark/light contrast, but barely a difference in it to represent that there is always darkness to happiness and there is always happiness to darkness whether it be you who is benefiting from either.
Other: I drew the Lapras by hand, colored it using Jasc Animation Shop 3, touched it up with Jasc Paint Shop Pro 7, did the background in MS Paint and PSP, and put the whole thing together with the Animation Shop.
Stock: The images used for the clouds and for the waves in the water. They came with PSP.

Crossfire Chaos
06-25-2005, 12:22 AM
Tree of Life (http://ourworld.cs.com/SuperiorChaos/treeoflife.png)
Name: Chaos
Team: DARK
Title: Tree of Life
Interpretation: The Planet may be engulfed by the tree, but the tree and the planet are pwned by the universe.
Other: Made in Corel Photo-Paint 10. I realy don't know what the tree of life is but if it existed I'm betting it would look like this.
Stock: none

The Exploding Planet (http://ourworld.cs.com/SuperiorChaos/explodingplanet.png)
Title: The Exploding Planet
Interpretation:
Other: Made in Corel Photo-Paint 10. Weather or not this is our planet or not I got this Idea from star wars and many other exploding planet sequences, I found they did it differently, but keeping the same basic ideas like a bright explotion. I figured that I'd do my own, even if it wasn't as good.

Footsteps (http://ourworld.cs.com/SuperiorChaos/footsteps.png)
Title: Footsteps
Interpretation: This is the first one I did for this theme, I tried to do my best to make sure you only focused on the footsteps, hence the color of black.
Other: Made in Corel Photo-Paint 10

TotodileHop24
06-25-2005, 06:47 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/RainbowFeather83/pokemon%20pics%204/warentry3.png

Piece Title: "Signs of Spring"
Interpretation: Through the midst of the woods, a young deer is shown drinking from a stream. The apple blossom trees gently waft in the breeze as a few stray flowers flutter about.
Other: No stock was used in this picture; almost everything was created with the pen tool, with some minor shading, smudge effects, and a little highlighting. I realized that the deer(not the reflection) could've been sharpened a little, so that will hurt. There are probably a few other things around the piece that I'm missing. It was just unfortunate that I was rushed for time.

Pikachu
06-26-2005, 12:28 AM
Yes, once again this is late. I'm hoping it'll still be accepted though because I had school last week and have been pretty busy. If it won't be accepted, oh well. I spent about 2 hours on it and I think it turned out pretty cool anyway. ^_^

http://home.earthlink.net/~mearsarts/coolasice.jpg

Name: Pikachu
Piece Title: Cool as Ice
Interpretation: Just a penguin wearing sunglasses and acting cool. Pretty self-explanatory.
Other: The ice cube brush was made by me. ^_^

Incongruity
06-26-2005, 07:57 PM
Alright, I think we all realize that Week 3 was a failure. Come on, this week's entries sucked. Well, to put it in a good light, they were worse than last week's. Instead of minimalizing, you guys crapified. But, some were good. I'll just give the two winners, cause you'll never really have to repeat this kind of competition; therefore, you really won't need any constructive criticism. Nobody's style here is minimalistic, and I'm not too adept at it either, so if I were to give you advice, it would be not only wasted, but also incorrect.

Fine, I admit it, I'm just being lazy this week. A lot of them were good, and I think you know who you are if you made a good one.

Art: Week 3

Assassin Guild: Rachel (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/RainbowFeather83/pokemon%20pics%204/warentry3.png)
"Signs of Spring"

C.i.B.ORG: VT (http://img292.echo.cx/img292/69/crystal8kj.png)
"The Crystal"

RUNNER UP: Well, the rest were all pretty good

Quick run-through of why the rest of you didn't win. Five word max description.

Dani: "Illumination" - It is not minimalistic enough.
D.2: "Arctic Beauty" - Excellent, but not good enough.
P79: "The Path" - Great, but not good enough.
Lan: "Stardust" - Looks amateurish, not minimalistic.
D.2: "Rabbit Trap" - Effects are boring and amateur.
D.2: "Snakes" - Great, but not good enough.
P79: "The Thing From The Other Side" - Great, but ugly diagonal lines
NP: "NYC Skyline" - Amateurish, not like NYC
D.2: "Season of Falling Embers" - Bah, boring, ugly, amateur.
Thanatos: "A Tranquil Moonlit Night" - Second-rate, because space is difficult.
Dani: "Infinity" - Good, but not great.
D.2: "Perch" - Great, but not good enough.
Lan: "Perfection" - Amateurish, boring, not perfect.
Pryce: "Conflict is Inevitable" - Excellent, but not good enough.
Pryce: "Darkness Goes Unseen" - Downgraded instead of made minimalistic.
Chaos: "Tree of Life" - Amateurish, as in MSpaint-esque.
Chaos: "Exploding Planet" - Second-rate, because space is difficult.
Chaos: "Footsteps" - Good, but poor sky/snowflakes.
Pikachu: "Cool As Ice" - Good, but late, no depth.

Second Place: VT: if you left the sides of the crystal empty (or atleast not what tehy are now), it would have been better. But I like the way the crystal's poking out, so yeah. Minimalistic and looks good, so it won

The REAL winner: Rachel: kind of doesn't seem minimalistic, but then it actually is. Err... well, it looks good and its minimalistic so it won

These two found a balance between minimalism and good work. Making a piece minimalistic does not mean destroying what you already have, or not reaching your full potential. Bah, those of you who submitted almost-winning pieces know who you are.

I think we've all learned a lesson this week; instead of submitting five pieces, submit one great piece. Which reminds me, next week, one entry per team.

Guidelines
deadline: Saturday, July 2, 11:59 PM, Greenwich Mean Time

Neo Emolga
06-30-2005, 01:03 AM
Alright, here is my entry on behalf of the Brotherhood of Steel.

http://img252.echo.cx/img252/2588/war9fb.jpg

Piece Title: Nothing In War
Week: 4
Interpretation: These are pieces of real photographs taken from World War II, some of them being pretty graphic. The message here is that nothing truly good comes from war when we gaze upon the destruction that is left behind.
Other: Stock images include:

http://www.archives.gov/research_room/research_topics/world_war_2_photos/images/ww2_78.jpg
http://www.archives.gov/research_room/research_topics/world_war_2_photos/images/ww2_181.jpg
http://www.archives.gov/research_room/research_topics/world_war_2_photos/images/ww2_185.jpg
http://www.archives.gov/research_room/research_topics/world_war_2_photos/images/ww2_186.jpg
http://www.archives.gov/research_room/research_topics/world_war_2_photos/images/ww2_192.jpg

The barbed wire shadows were created from images of a barbed wire turned into Photoshop brushes.

Pidgeot79
07-02-2005, 06:57 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/DaMightea1/Week4Entry1GIF.gif
Piece Title: War
Interpretation: This picture shows a battlefield with dead bodies caused by the war.
Other: I'm hoping to win either 1st or 2nd by default so I didn't work hard. :tongue: It may seem it doesn't fit the ratio, but it does, check the properties.
Stock (http://faculty.smu.edu/sweisenb/Incidents%20of%20the%20War%20(Gettysburg).gif)

**It's not in RED, so this isn't our entry this week. :tongue: ~Jack

JACK, if you finish your drawing and feel it's better then mine go ahead and delete my post and post yours.

Matthew
07-02-2005, 07:22 AM
P79... the height is supposed to be greater than the width... isn't it, at least 3 pixels wide to every 5 pixels high.

Pidgeot79
07-02-2005, 07:33 AM
P79... the height is supposed to be greater than the width... isn't it, at least 3 pixels wide to every 5 pixels high.

Did you check the properties.

Matthew
07-02-2005, 07:34 AM
Yes..... you have it the other way around.... it should be taller than it is wide.... so you have 1000w x 600h... correctly, it should be 600w x 1000h... :rolleyes:

Pidgeot79
07-02-2005, 08:18 AM
Yes..... you have it the other way around.... it should be taller than it is wide.... so you have 1000w x 600h... correctly, it should be 600w x 1000h... :rolleyes:

:eh: It is 600x1000. What are you talking about?

Jack of Clovers
07-02-2005, 09:39 AM
not quite. there's a lot of blank space below. :eek:

anyway, I think I'll take it from here, Pidgeot.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v472/lil_leprachaun33/sacrificeofwar.gif (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v472/lil_leprachaun33/drawings/sacrificeofwar.gif)
Name: Jack
Piece Title: Sacrifice of War
Interpretation: There is honor in dying for your country.
Other: Hand drawn. Probably 4-5 hrs total. I finally figured out the correct settings for my scanner to pick up my penicl. woohoo!

good luck everyone.

~Jack~

Matt
07-02-2005, 11:39 AM
You're just lucky my scanner's busted Jack. I'll try to fix it today and get my entry in.

EDIT: My scanner is working again, but I can't draw anything well at the moment. This is my entry until Pikachu arrives, if he does, since I haen't been able to reach him.

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/4844/bloodcopy1rw.jpg

Week: Week 4
Title: War's Blood Stains
Interpretation: This work shows blood stains in the form of dead and fighting soldiers. Together, with the quote from Gandhi, it is meant to show that the only thing that war leads to is blood from those that have died, or those who are fighting. That there is no reason to keep fighting when people begin to die.
Other: Stock: http://www.pku.edu.cn/life/xuehui/yasp/pic-sheyingdashi/eugene%20smith/Marine%20Mop-up.jpg

ACManga
07-02-2005, 07:37 PM
http://img237.echo.cx/img237/7480/nomercy26bc.png

Name: ACManga
Team: C.i.B.org
Piece Title: No Mercy
Interpretation: the actual piece doesn't have much to do with the title, No Mercy. I named it this because in battle, if a soldier shows mercy, he is completely vulnerable; thus you must kill literally every enemy you see.
Other: Stock Image: http://www.intrudershop.com.tw/12intoys/HT-VBSS-1A1.jpg

Pikachu
07-03-2005, 11:15 PM
Hmmmm, it's Sunday here and even Monday in the UK and SK still hasn't posted any restults. Where is he? ^_^'

Neo Emolga
07-04-2005, 01:12 AM
Hmmmm, it's Sunday here and even Monday in the UK and SK still hasn't posted any restults. Where is he? ^_^'

Busy, I would guess. Besides, usually there are times when we get results on Mondays. And SK might be doing something for the 4th of July weekend, such as family gatherings or whatever.

That's my only guess.

ACManga
07-04-2005, 06:13 PM
;.; i hate it when this kind of stuff takes a lot of time... it always leaves me hanging >_>
EDIT: tuesday here, when are you gonna post the results, sk? >.<

Dratini
07-12-2005, 08:59 AM
Art Section Update:

Since SK resigned from his judging position, VT is now the new art judge. Congrats, VT!

However, VT is not going to be able to be here for Week 6, so Tamer is the Art Section temp judge. Hopefully this section will be up and operating for this week.

Pryce
07-12-2005, 10:44 PM
Thanks so much for the notice! I certainly hope nothing bad is up with SK... I hope he returns soon too thouh, despite the fact that he's resigned from judge. And I most certainly can't wait for the next contest.

ACManga
07-13-2005, 04:26 AM
i just want the 4th contest to be judged >.< as for the 5th one, i'd really like something tech-styled, those are fun x3

Lord Celebi
07-13-2005, 02:50 PM
i just want the 4th contest to be judged >.< as for the 5th one, i'd really like something tech-styled, those are fun x3
No! Photoshoppers are too good at that stuff. Me, mister inexperience can't do crap. Although, this gear ava and banner was a cool thing I made in Paint and texted in PS.

ACManga
07-13-2005, 05:33 PM
exactly. xD makes it easier for me to win :P

TMTS
07-13-2005, 06:21 PM
Ohh... tech theme would be fun. :razz:

It's now tuesday.... Well I guess a judge can take his/her time.

I'm waiting for the next theme so I can at least try to win some points... for once...

Pryce
07-13-2005, 08:13 PM
Same here, I really want to see who won this one. But as for the next theme, there are far too many people who are masters at tech stuff obviously by most peoples sigs, avatars, and previous contest entries. Though it would be a rather interesting contest because since there are so many tech artists who will most likely participate, it might be one tight competition. Though it could be quite close to impossible for me to try. My efforts with art programs can't compare to those of some of the skills I see here on the forum. People here can make a lot of money with the amazing work they produce.

Dratini
07-15-2005, 05:55 AM
SK posted the results for Week 4 in the Team War Statistics thread. Here's the quote:

Alright, I'm passing off the Fan Art Judge position to someone else

For this week,

ACManga: C.i.B.ORG
Neo Pikachu: Brotherhood of Steel

Congrats you two.

Anyway, Tamer is no longer going to be active at the forum, so I am pretty sure that there is no longer a temporary judge for Week 6.

I will try my best to get competition for Week 6 up and running. I will attempt to get another temporary art judge for this week or get in contact with some active war artists and come up with a good topic for Week 6 art as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience.

ACManga
07-15-2005, 07:44 PM
YAAAAAAAY! or, um, that's cool? x3 congrats Neo Pikachu, we both won a point for our team :)

TMTS
07-19-2005, 04:24 PM
So... we have to wait till' next week for an art section? Or is resuming even later than that? :eh:

Lord Celebi
07-19-2005, 04:59 PM
Can we get a damned judge? I'm bored and I wanna win some easy points...

TMTS
07-19-2005, 05:14 PM
...That's not how you phrase something like that.

And I think we have a TEMPORARY judge who's being lazy or something. In any case, the art section has been removed this week.

MystiKal
07-19-2005, 05:57 PM
Okay since I'm the new judge here's this weeks theme.

Movies

Max Width: 1000
Min Width: 100
Max Height: 1000
Min Height: 400
Stock:Allowed
Animation:Allowed

ACManga
07-19-2005, 06:06 PM
*ish judge for week 7* Biozone is week 6, we have a judge, stop complaining >_>

Matthew
07-20-2005, 02:38 AM
Okay since I'm the new judge here's this weeks theme.

Movies

Max Width: 1000
Min Width: 100
Max Height: 1000
Min Height: 400
Stock:Allowed
Animation:Allowed

Sweet =P I like movies... I am good at Movies =P

Pidgeot79
07-21-2005, 01:34 AM
How many entries per contestant/team?

Lord Celebi
07-21-2005, 04:17 AM
http://img350.imageshack.us/img350/8572/wos1vm.jpg
Piece Title: Bionicle 3: Web of Shadows
Interpretation: An upcoming movie which I intend on buying :P

I know its crap... but I'm gonna win cuz no one's participating :P

Matthew
07-21-2005, 09:30 AM
http://img344.imageshack.us/img344/4751/spidermancopy6hn.png
Name: Matthew
Team: CiBORG
Peice: Power: A Great Responsibility
Interpretation: Strong, Bright color represents his strength whereas the grunginess and dark patches scattered all over the banner symbolize the burden that having such power places upon a young man. With great power comes great responsibility.

ACManga
07-22-2005, 11:01 PM
wow, Matthew, very impressive. (i'm not judge till week 6 is over, so i can compliment meh team members :P)
EDIT: Rust, really, you're proud of winning by default? doesn't that effect your self-consiousness? i may not have too much authority, but i will :P

Lord Celebi
07-23-2005, 12:49 AM
wow, Matthew, very impressive. (i'm not judge till week 6 is over, so i can compliment meh team members :P)
EDIT: Rust, really, you're proud of winning by default? doesn't that effect your self-consiousness? i may not have too much authority, but i will :P
No... I'm a crap artist, but I want to win points for my team...

Will people quit bugging me about defalulting?

Pidgeot79
07-23-2005, 05:33 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/DaMightea1/29c34e49.png
Peice: A Beginning of Something Big
Interpretation: Spongebob along with his best friend, Patrick, are on their way of starting a great adventure in which they well encounter many difficulties. Eventually they will return stronger, both physically and mentally to defeat Plankton.
Other:
Stock - http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B00024B7GK.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Yes the stock was taken from a game cover, but the game is based on the movie, and I believe the picture on the game cover is used in the movie anyways.

Matthew
07-23-2005, 08:42 AM
I like it P79... I like it alot =P

ACManga
07-23-2005, 05:04 PM
ooooh, P79, that's really interesting... i only noticed one thing, tho. what happened to Spongebob's left arm?

Pidgeot79
07-23-2005, 09:48 PM
ooooh, P79, that's really interesting... i only noticed one thing, tho. what happened to Spongebob's left arm?

:oops: I probably skipped past that arm while cutting Spongebob and Patrick out with the pen tool. It's fixed now and I saved it as a PNG.

EDIT: I'm confused, is the movies theme for week 6 or 7?

.AzureLight
07-25-2005, 12:28 AM
Crap.. how much time left for the movies? I need to get to work!

ACManga
07-25-2005, 12:42 AM
i'm pretty sure i'm supposed to be keeping track, but i don't really care when it's over xD

Pidgeot79
07-25-2005, 02:27 AM
According to SK's guidelines it ends at 11:59 PM GMT. That has already passed.

ACManga
07-25-2005, 02:58 AM
well, Dratini told me i could decide when to start week 7, and i say... it should have ended yesterday night xD

.AzureLight
07-25-2005, 06:38 PM
So, where's the stuff for week 7? :dazed:

Matthew
07-26-2005, 07:42 AM
And who won the points?

ACManga
07-26-2005, 06:18 PM
xD well, don't ask me, Biozone's the host for week 6, i'll post the stuff for week 7 as soon as Biozone posts the points.

Nefarious
07-26-2005, 06:39 PM
Umm...Bio left the forum x_x So who's going to do the points now?

Matthew
07-26-2005, 07:24 PM
Actually, now that I think of it... I believe me and P79 had the best... seeing as we were the only ones who entered worth giving points to... lol.

ACManga
07-27-2005, 05:12 PM
ummm... well, this is a pickle... i paid absolutely no attention to week 6.. *shrugs*

.AzureLight
07-31-2005, 11:19 PM
Do we have a theme yet? :eh:

ACManga
08-01-2005, 05:52 PM
alright, we can either skip judging for week 6 or we can judge... i'd prefer getting this over with, SO... 2nd place goes to P79, 1st goes to Kronos. anything else?

Space-themed

Max Width: 800
Min Width: 200
Max Height: 600
Min Height: 100
Stock: Allowed, but not recommended.
Animation: Allowed

Lord Celebi
08-05-2005, 04:40 AM
This is more of a comedical peice that it is artsy... I wish I knew how to use Photoshop.

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/8856/spacey5it.jpg
Peice: Screaming in Space
Interpretation: Well... You wanted us to make a space themed image. Well, they're in space, and its making fun of the tagline for Alien.

Matthew
08-05-2005, 02:04 PM
I'll make my peice tonight. :cool:

But until then, I'll be at Magic Mountain and a play... so no art from me yet :rolleyes:

ACManga
08-05-2005, 07:12 PM
i'll tell you this, rust.. there'll be no winning by default while i'm the judge. xD i'm gonna tweak the rules. if one person enters and their piece wouldn't have won if there were other artists, nobody wins. i can do that, right?

Matthew
08-06-2005, 01:32 AM
i'll tell you this, rust.. there'll be no winning by default while i'm the judge. xD i'm gonna tweak the rules. if one person enters and their piece wouldn't have won if there were other artists, nobody wins. i can do that, right?

Well, you're the judge, but Still, rust should be given the point for simply being the only one who put forth the effort to enter an item... :rolleyes: *measley attempt to get team points*, Despite the fact that it *couchsux0rzcough*

I'll get to mine tonight... I've just been really busy the last week or so... so much happening in my family, at work, and in my social life... I find very little time to do personal stuff like that.

Matt
08-06-2005, 02:40 PM
Sorry Rust

MY MASTERPIECE (http://img65.imageshack.us/img65/1419/spacecopy1gl.jpg)
Name: D.2
Week: 7 I think, maybe 8
Title: Space Sunrise
Interpretation: It's just a space scene. It is viewed from a planet, with two planets in the landscape, one blocking the rising sun.
Other: This was ALL me, except the base planet, in which I used a desert stock (http://www.physicalgeography.net/fundamentals/images/desert.jpg). No Brushes were used except for the stars.

Nefarious
08-06-2005, 08:35 PM
Well I actually decided to enter this week. =P

http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/1466/celestialformation9kw.png
Name: Nefarios
Week: Which week is this?
Title: Celestial Formation
Interpretation: It's the earth and the moon in formation with the sun in the corner.
Other: The moon is another color than it should be, but I wanted it to be some other color than Gray. =P I used brushes for everything including the planets. No stock was used at all.

Nefarious
08-15-2005, 08:19 PM
Sorry to double post, but is the judging going to begin anytime soon. It's already the 15th. >_>

MystiKal
08-15-2005, 08:36 PM
Lol well since I haven't seen AC on in a while, I'll go ahead and judge these. Results will be up tonight.

Nefarious
08-19-2005, 03:27 PM
I think tonight was a few days ago. :oops:

MystiKal
08-19-2005, 03:51 PM
The war is over so their was no need for me to judge them.

Nefarious
08-19-2005, 04:43 PM
The war is over so their was no need for me to judge them.

It is? =P Umm...ok. Heh, well which one would have won?

Matthew
08-19-2005, 08:51 PM
I would think you and Defense since you guys and rust were the only ones to enter... :rolleyes: