PDA

View Full Version : Those dang Discriminating Barbies

bjgamecreations
03-25-2004, 03:44 PM
Alright here's my problem. Have you seen those new "My Scene" Barbies? I'm guessing they're targeted at older teens but I think it's disturbing. They're scandily clothed and they appear, on the commericials to be picking up guys at clubs and bars. Now what this tells me is that parents buy these teen-oriented Barbies for their teens, their teens get some crazy idea that it'll be really fun to dress up like "My Scene Barbie" and pick some guys up at the bar. Well unfortunately the world doesn't work like it does for Barbie and the younger teens end up getting into trouble. It isn't just Barbies anymore either; Brats, and all those other doll, action figures whatever you wanna call 'em are just plain discriminating. I also think that Barbie is disgusting because she is so perfect. It make some girls feel like they're ugly because they don't have the perfect body of Barbie.

Mechaflame
03-25-2004, 08:25 PM
I completely agree with you. Curse those perfect Barbies! :evil:

Agent Orange
03-25-2004, 08:32 PM
Its true. Its almost funny because what teen in thier right mind would buy a doll?

Mechaflame
03-25-2004, 08:59 PM
It's like the Barbies' cute, perfect little faces brain wash the girls into buying them. They're pure evil! :evil:

Tamer Marco
03-26-2004, 12:36 AM
Even though I hate my sis til da bitter end I still feel that she's gonna grow up bad or something if she loves barbie too much.

Kan
03-26-2004, 07:00 PM
Barbies are like supermodels, except you can hurt them and not get in trouble. :twisted:

This happens in every aspect of modern society: the media sets a standard based on how vain everyone in big cities are, and the rest of the world has to follow. I say screw THAT!

Kenny_C.002
03-28-2004, 01:42 AM
Barbies are like supermodels, except you can hurt them and not get in trouble. :twisted:

This happens in every aspect of modern society: the media sets a standard based on how vain everyone in big cities are, and the rest of the world has to follow. I say screw THAT!

Problem is that it's influencing everyone else around you. And that hurts in the process.

Evanna
03-28-2004, 03:24 PM
Indeed you're right in some ankle. It does happen.
But guys... They're TOYS. I played with them when I was young (And I don't feel ashamed :/ It's part of being a child), I like to dress them up :neutral:
I could create a whole lovestory in my imagination :neutral: I mean... Come on :neutral:
And besides. Teens don't play with those dolls anymore cause it is considered CHILDISH. I think they even don't want to play with them anymore. Well, atleast in my opinion. There more interesting things for a teen. Like computer =p
Get my point?

Samus Aran
03-28-2004, 06:55 PM
The thing that I hate the most about Barbies it that they are teaching small kids that if you arenít beautiful and attractive, no one will like you. Same things with Fairy tales: the ugly people are always bad, and the attractive people always are good.

Kenny_C.002
03-28-2004, 08:53 PM
That's true. The villains tend to be much less beautiful than the heros for some reason (though in games these days, the villains look as beautiful as everyone else and everyone looks pretty...:-/)

Samus Aran
03-28-2004, 09:04 PM
Yah, movies and other things are missing the average-looking heroines and heroes. I just hate how most of the world is bent on how you look and not your personality.

Sutiivun
03-29-2004, 01:59 AM
Yes, but that's life. Too many people look at a person and say, "Hey look, that person is ugly. I guess they suck." And they never try to talk to them or be nice to them. Some girls at my school are not the prettiest but they are the nicest there is. I hope I proved my point. :wink:

Kenny_C.002
03-29-2004, 04:03 AM
You don't need to prove that, Sutiivun. Just that finding a pretty girl that is also very nice is practically impossible proves the point.

Anyway, thus the average-looking hero strikes again! :P

Sutiivun
03-29-2004, 01:59 PM
Yeah, I've always noticed how the hero has all of the good looks. Just put someone average in there! They don't have to be so pretty that older guys are drooling on the television!! :sad:

Alakazam
03-29-2004, 03:03 PM
Alright here's my problem. Have you seen those new "My Scene" Barbies? I'm guessing they're targeted at older teens but I think it's disturbing. They're scandily clothed and they appear, on the commericials to be picking up guys at clubs and bars. Now what this tells me is that parents buy these teen-oriented Barbies for their teens, their teens get some crazy idea that it'll be really fun to dress up like "My Scene Barbie" and pick some guys up at the bar. Well unfortunately the world doesn't work like it does for Barbie and the younger teens end up getting into trouble. It isn't just Barbies anymore either; Brats, and all those other doll, action figures whatever you wanna call 'em are just plain discriminating. I also think that Barbie is disgusting because she is so perfect. It make some girls feel like they're ugly because they don't have the perfect body of Barbie.

I agree that the image Barbie portrays a negative images for teens...but discriminating? How so and against who? :eh: :question:

bjgamecreations
03-29-2004, 06:36 PM
I agree that the image Barbie portrays a negative images for teens...but discriminating? How so and against who? :eh: :question:

They're discriminating against teen girls. Barbies are saying that teens should look perfect and have perfect boyfriends like Ken to get far in life.

Tamer Marco
03-29-2004, 06:40 PM
They're discriminating against teen girls. Barbies are saying that teens should look perfect and have perfect boyfriends like Ken to get far in life. Well that's what people think.

Samus Aran
03-29-2004, 10:24 PM
I know...
But I think that they just need to get it strait. Like my grandma says:
"Beauty is only skin deep!"

Alakazam
03-30-2004, 05:22 PM
They're discriminating against teen girls. Barbies are saying that teens should look perfect and have perfect boyfriends like Ken to get far in life.

IMO, not really...such images aren't really discrimination. You say that they say that girls should look perfect, yet they don't say it. It's just a common perception / inference. I'm not saying I don't agree with you as to the message, but it's not discrimination, since the message isn't expressed. :wink:

Kenny_C.002
04-07-2004, 11:48 PM
Actually, it's more of a stereotype of teenagers than discrimination. They are saying basically that the "norm" are those types of teens. Obviously this "type" tends to exist everywhere (as all teens do), but are generally the most noticeable of the types. Thus teens are "stereotyped" to be that type and became the basis for the "My Scene" dolls.

Alakazam
04-19-2004, 06:37 PM
Actually, it's more of a stereotype of teenagers than discrimination. They are saying basically that the "norm" are those types of teens. Obviously this "type" tends to exist everywhere (as all teens do), but are generally the most noticeable of the types. Thus teens are "stereotyped" to be that type and became the basis for the "My Scene" dolls.

Not to mention that the portrayal of such teens in the media perpetuates that certain doctrine of style, thought, and action...

Tamer Marco
04-22-2004, 12:17 AM
Barbies have one purpose: To be entertainment for LITTLE GIRLS. Why would a fourteen year old want to play with a doll? Barbies are too old too. Did you know that they are thirty-five years old? :eek:

Kenny_C.002
04-22-2004, 03:09 AM
This post contains mature content.

Barbies have one purpose: To be entertainment for LITTLE GIRLS. Why would a fourteen year old want to play with a doll? Barbies are too old too. Did you know that they are thirty-five years old? :eek:

So you're saying you want your daughter to follow in the footsteps of the negative images protrayed with these Barbie dolls? And that without proper influence that these dolls make shape their preteen and teen stages, thus ruining their life?

Entertainment has its limits. If you're teaching a little girl about going out to dates and possibly even having sex with them, wearing make-up at an early age, etc., would you have crossed the border? Barbies are telling the girls these negative images here. I'm saying that it's no coincidence that grade 6 girls are giving the boys blowjobs as goodbye kisses (and claim they are complete virgins).