PDA

View Full Version : Yu-gi-oh anyone?

Saya
03-25-2004, 05:41 PM
I love yu-gi-oh! I'm wondering if anyone else out there likes it too. I think its cool.

DragonShane
03-25-2004, 05:56 PM
Well, it kinda depends on what you're referring to...
The manga's pretty awesome, the anime's beyond butchered by WB and 4Kids, and I only collect the cards rather than play the game.

What's good about the manga, besides being totally uncut with none of this "sent to Shadow Realm" business, is that it's the earlier stories, how Yugi got to where he is. And also it's great that it isn't a 30-minute advertisement for the card game :p...plus we get to see more character development in it (Yugi/Anzu fans may definitely want to see the stories in this month's Shonen Jump).

I do watch the anime, but I sometimes feel embarrassed to watch it at times, with the subpar voice-acting, and the fact that 4Kids and WB are afraid of just about any perilous situations (for God's sakes, they allow guns to appear in American cartoons!! friggin biased FCC...), when half the time, noone even dies! Such as the Yugi vs. Arcana duel, and the Yugi/Kaiba vs Lumis/Umbra duel....the good guys won, and the villians either were saved or passed out or whatever happened :P
I mean, there are a few good points. The animation's pretty good at times, despite a few instances of off-looking characters and mostly-motionless monsters. The music's pretty decent, though I haven't heard much of the Japanese version's, so I can't really compare the two; but the American music sets a pretty good mood for it's respective situations....well, except for a few of the original songs that were placed in every so often.

Saya
03-25-2004, 06:11 PM
I like the anime. The "enter the shadow realm" thing I'd just like to be over. I like the battle city finals the best. I've only seem the american versions butn from what I've heared the japenese versions atre much better.

Mechaflame
03-25-2004, 06:30 PM
The last episode I saw was about the Battle City Finals. It was the episode where Marik and Bakura were dueling. Marik used Monster Reborn to revive Ra and used it's "secret powers" or "abilities" to send Bakura and part of Marik to the Shadow Realm. I love the fact that Bakura is part of the Shadow Realm and he can control it. It is so cool! :biggrin:

Saya
03-25-2004, 07:01 PM
My favoite part of battle city was the duel between Mai and Marik, Mind game 1-3

Mechaflame
03-25-2004, 07:06 PM
That episode was awesome too. Wasn't it when Marik uses those monsters that hold Mai down? And when Yugi took tried to protect her? That was a cool episode. :biggrin:

Saya
03-25-2004, 09:44 PM
It was definately cool! Joey was the first one to protect her and then Yu-gi protected them both when Ra was about to blast them.

ReclusiveDemon
03-25-2004, 10:42 PM
I have to say, I enjoy this anime. I dont watch it as much as I used to, but I watch it whenever I can. (Only a 7% chance on saturdays, and 2% on weekdays.)

gamevoid
03-25-2004, 11:29 PM
I love the games! I want the Sacred cards game sooo bad I heard Its an RPG like GS or something, and the anime is ok I love bakura thogh and shadi and Ishizu lol.

Tamer Marco
03-25-2004, 11:37 PM
It's kinda stupid. It's just gonna end up like duel masters someday. The only episodes worth watching are Marik ones.

Sutiivun
03-25-2004, 11:42 PM
It's kinda stupid. It's just gonna end up like duel masters someday. The only episodes worth watching are Marik ones.Duel Masters doesn't really seem to be a big impact and Yu-Gi-Oh is more popular than Duel Masters... for the moment. I really like the Marik episodes, they're cool! :cool:

Alakazam
03-26-2004, 12:53 AM
Ah...what an excellent series, one of my faves. Once we get past the whole Noa duel, it's really going to pick up...the rest of the Battle City Finals, and then the Orichalos-DOOM saga! :cool:

Mechaflame
03-26-2004, 01:48 AM
I can't wait for more of the series! It makes me want to... :dance:

Saya
03-26-2004, 12:19 PM
My favorite chracter is Joey. I wish they would hurry up and begin the battle city finals again!

silverfrost
03-27-2004, 09:57 PM
My favorite chracter is Joey. I wish they would hurry up and begin the battle city finals again!

Heh, I love Joey too. ^^ But yeah, I prefer the older episodes to the newer ones, I guess. Then again, new episodes are always a good thing. =b

Jisaku the Dragon Tamer
03-29-2004, 02:07 AM
YGO is definitely my favorite anime show; though I must say I LOATHE 4Kids' dub job (burns down 4Kids headquarters). I've learned to ignore the words the characters speak and focus on what they actually are trying to say...

Yeah, and I LOVE how they completely changed around the storyline (that was sarcasm, btw)... Marik doesn't want to rule the world as Pharaoh (he wants to be pharaoh, but not rule the world), his main goal is to kill Yugi/spirit of the puzzle because Marik thinks Yami killed his dad...("'Twas the Pharaoh's will..." -Shadii) when really "Yami" Marik committed the crime.
I was seriously yelling at the TV when Marik said his dad was sent to the "shadow realm" and that he thought Shadii did it.

And one last thing...'member Yami and Tea's date-- er, "meeting"? Tea asks Yami what he knows about himself, and he says "I know I came for Egypt." In the Japanese (I have DVDs! Whooho; I luv ya, eBay!), Yami's answer is "I have no idea who I am or where I'm from." (Oh yeah, and his name isn't even Yami; the whole point of YGO is that "Mou hitori no boku" ("The other me;" Yugi's name for "Yami.") is trying to figure out his name! Silly dubbers...No point of YGO now than as a 30minute commercial for the game...

But seriously, the Japanese is great. I suggest you buy the DVDs off eBay, but be careful-- Two of mine don't work on US Dvd players; there is a computer decoder you can download so you can play 'em on the comp, but I haven't done that yet.

One last thing (well, 3): Ishizu's ***. name is Isis, but it's still pronounced "Ishizu" by the Japanese, so it doesn't really matter. Also, Marik/Malik actually sounds Arab in the *** (Malik is pronunced MahL-reek). Lastly, take the best music you've heard in the american YGO and multiply by ten-thousand-billion, and that's the ***. music.

Okay, this really is the last thing: MARIK DOESN'T HAVE A YAMI! "Yami" Marik isn't the spirit of the M.Rod (& he didn't exsist in Egypt back w/ the others). Marik is not only bipolar (***. anime says so) but has Dissociative Identity Disorder (Thank you, Checkmate!), which kinda means the "Yami" is really a manisfestation of Marik's hatred towards his dad. I could elaborate, but I'm sick of typing and no one cares to listen to people rant.

Kenny_C.002
03-29-2004, 02:44 AM
Jisaku, could you please shorten your location? It's warping the whole thread.

Aside from that:
American YGO = tremendous crap
Japanese YGO = alright stuff
Japanese manga of YGO = good stuff

Any objections? :P

Sutiivun
03-29-2004, 03:00 AM
No objections here, Kenny. I hate the dubbed versions. :sad: *Goes on a rampage*

Jisaku the Dragon Tamer
03-30-2004, 01:16 AM
Jisaku, could you please shorten your location? It's warping the whole thread.

Aside from that:
American YGO = tremendous crap
Japanese YGO = alright stuff
Japanese manga of YGO = good stuff

Any objections? :P

I sowwy (shortens location)

DragonShane
04-13-2004, 06:32 PM
I'd have to agree that the Marik saga has been pretty good so far, despite 4Kids trying to butcher it. We've seen a whole heck of a lot of character development going on, and Marik and Odion's past was, to me, more interesting than half of the battles going on.
They really need to finish up that Noah saga, though.....talk about putting a halt to a good flowing pace -_-;

AnthonyAnimeMaster
04-13-2004, 07:01 PM
I just finished watching Joey vs Marik, Kaiba vs Yugi in Eng. and Yugi vs Marik in ***. ^_^ they're great :biggrin:

Alakazam
04-13-2004, 09:05 PM
Hell yeah...I really gotta but some of the YGO Japanese DVD Boxsets

*psst...their at http://www.animetoxic.com for $30!!!!!!!!*

Their up over 200 episodes in Japan now, finally getting into the Pharaoh's Memory saga with Thief Bakura :P

BTW, if you're like me and don't care for 4 Kid's YGO openings, you'll be pleasantly surprised at the Japanese openings...THEY'RE AWESOME! ^_^

AnthonyAnimeMaster
04-13-2004, 11:04 PM
Hell yeah...I really gotta but some of the YGO Japanese DVD Boxsets

*psst...their at http://www.animetoxic.com for $30!!!!!!!!*

Their up over 200 episodes in Japan now, finally getting into the Pharaoh's Memory saga with Thief Bakura :P

BTW, if you're like me and don't care for 4 Kid's YGO openings, you'll be pleasantly surprised at the Japanese openings...THEY'RE AWESOME! ^_^

Yeah the Japanese openings rock. I just love the Battel City and Alcatraz Saga Opening

Pichu
04-14-2004, 01:05 AM
i like anime, alot..........but in the case of yu-gi-oh......i kinda hate it........i dont kno why theres just somthing about it,,,,it can be cool somtimes but otherwise to me its stupid...........the heaart of the cards...? i mean common :rolleyes:

Jisaku the Dragon Tamer
04-16-2004, 01:54 AM
I have the Japanese versions of the following:

DK:
Yugi vs Joey
Yugi vs Pegasus (all of em)
and everything else up till Yugi's duel w/ Pandora (aka "Arkana" in the Eng.)

I also have Yugi vs Bakura (DK) through one after Yugi vs Player Killer ("Panik"), but those DVDs...don't...work...in...American...DVD...player s...(Beats head against wall for spending $20 on stuff that doesn't work)

Mechaflame
04-16-2004, 02:08 AM
This is pretty sad, but I don't own any videos or DVDs and I still get my share of Yugioh. Am I missing anything by just watching the show on television besides getting the chance to watch it over and over and over and over and...

Neko
04-26-2004, 12:42 PM
I Love Yu-Gi-Oh. Even though the anime is butcherd and I know about it and think that stinks. I still watch it. Joey is My Favorite character. :)

Mechaflame
04-26-2004, 02:49 PM
My favorite character is Bakura. He's twisted! :twisted:

Alakazam
05-03-2004, 08:16 PM
I have the Japanese versions of the following:

DK:
Yugi vs Joey
Yugi vs Pegasus (all of em)
and everything else up till Yugi's duel w/ Pandora (aka "Arkana" in the Eng.)

I also have Yugi vs Bakura (DK) through one after Yugi vs Player Killer ("Panik"), but those DVDs...don't...work...in...American...DVD...player s...(Beats head against wall for spending $20 on stuff that doesn't work)

Crap! Those DVDs won't work!? ...would it be expensive to get a DVD player that CAN play them?

Kenny_C.002
05-05-2004, 03:11 AM
Thanks Jisaku.

And Zammy, the DVD players that play that cost less than a regular DVD player that you get in Best Buy. I'm serious, them crappy "chinese" players cost like 50 bucks Canadian and can play any freaking thing you put into it (DVDwise), problem is if it's broken/destroyed/malfunctioning/etc., you're out of 50 bucks, no questions (I mean, no repairs...or refunds). So...choice is yours.

As for the duel Marik vs. Yugi, it's still the topic of parodying...it's that horrible. (I mean almost all of the duels suck anyway...)

Mechaflame
05-08-2004, 07:44 PM
I can't wait until I see that battle between Yugi and Marik! :razz:

yugiyamisgirl
11-12-2004, 01:47 PM
i love yugioh!my fave char is bakura and seto kaiba.marik too.theyre all cute! :redface:

Alakazam
11-12-2004, 08:12 PM
Mechaflame, where do you live? That battle premired six months ago -_- I want to see all of the Atlantis-DOOM saga currently premiering.

Trainer_Kelly
12-28-2004, 08:46 PM
Well, I like Yu-Gi-Oh!
Personally, I like the manga more then the anime...
The Manga Beats the Anime's butt,
But the Japanese Version of the anime beats the dubs butt! XD

You know they sell uncut versions in stores, right? They sell uncut versions of both Yu-Gi-Oh! And Shaman King...>.>

Metal Mario
12-28-2004, 08:51 PM
I hate Yu gi oh
It is always the same thing a duel in every episode it gets boring IMO

PokemonElite2000
12-30-2004, 11:24 PM
Please do not reply to old threads.

*Thread locked.