PDA

View Full Version : The Dark Knight - Rating Outrage

Tombi
08-06-2008, 07:17 PM
MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS~ 8D

Yeah, so, I don't know what's happening in America, but over here in Britain there's been a load of outcries about the rating of the new Batman film, The Dark Knight. America has different film ratings to Britain, but here they are in a nutshell:

U - Universal. Suitable for all.

PG - Parental Guidance is recommended.

12A - Twelve year olds and over can see the film without an adult. Under twelves can see it, but they must be accompanied by an adult.

12 - You must be twelve or over.

15 - You must be fifteen or over.

18 - You must be eighteen or over.

Over here, The Dark Knight was rated 12A. The newspapers are having a field day with it.

When I saw the film, there was little kids in there. They were crying and yelling, and they had to be taken out by their parents. The newspapers say the film has mindless/relentless violence that contributes to the problem of knife crime, or something like that. They also say it should be a 15.

I don't think it's that bad. But then again, I'm the kind of person who will find someone having a pencil smacked into their eye hilarious. xD

Do you think it should be rated higher?

What's the deal in America, and other places?

Orthar
08-06-2008, 07:23 PM
It's rated PG-13.

Parental Guidance suggested for people under 13 years of age, essentially 13 or over.

And I haven't heard any outcries yet.

Tombi
08-06-2008, 07:31 PM
I guess that's the equivilant of 12A. O: In every review I've read, they've said it should be a 15. It was all over the papers today. Perhaps it's just Britain?

Operative
08-06-2008, 07:33 PM
It's rated PG-13.

Parental Guidance suggested for people under 13 years of age, essentially 13 or over.

And I haven't heard any outcries yet.

Same here.

No outcries, as a matter of fact, I think everyone here enjoyed the movie...

:\

Pooka
08-06-2008, 07:34 PM
Well where I am it's rated 16, which I think is about right, but when I went I still saw some very young kids there with their parents.
If the parents decide to take their kids along to see it then it's their responsibility and their fault if they end up getting scared.

Tombi
08-06-2008, 07:44 PM
Oh, lots of people enjoyed it. It's just the fact that six year olds were watching it and screaming.

@Pooka: Yeah, that's what I thought. =/

Operative
08-06-2008, 08:01 PM
Oh, lots of people enjoyed it. It's just the fact that six year olds were watching it and screaming.

@Pooka: Yeah, that's what I thought. =/

When I saw it, I don't think I saw any six year olds...

The youngest I saw in the thearter was probably an 8 or 9 year old. :\

Dark Turtwig
08-06-2008, 08:14 PM
In america, there are only four ratings.
G: Anyone any age can see it.
PG: Still, just about anyone can see it. May be small amounts of violence, but nothing a 8 or 9 year old can't handle.
PG-13: A pretty wide spectrum here. There are'nt many comedy films that have many sexual related jokes ever scene or so rated R. But as for violence, many films go R.
R: Age 17 or older. A pretty big jump from PG-13 if you ask me.. But most very violent films are placed in this spectrum. i.e. A lot of horror films, kind of dirty movies, and all the rest.

But yeah, as for the dark knight: I think it as almost rated R, but it's not THAT bad. But it was funny, because there was this very small child, probably just learned how to talk like, 8 months ago. He was probably just 4 years old, and he enjoyed the movie. He was fine. Except for the occasional question about what was going on to his father.

Frostbitten
08-06-2008, 08:14 PM
One kid and to get up and leave because he got scared when Harvey turned his face around and revealed 2 Face.
But other than that nobody went out.
I would say PG-13 would be appropriate for it. Because other than that scene the movie did not have much of a scare factor.
Just lots of violence.

And Tombi your not the only one who would burst into laughter if someone got a pencil shovedin their eye. :oops:

Tombi
08-06-2008, 08:22 PM
@Mudkipboi: Only four ratings? o.o;; And about the little kid thing, yeah. I guess when you're that young, nothing is really that shocking because you have no idea about pain or crime or anything. Once you get a little older it starts to get more frightening, I suppose. I guess those clown masks were enough for the kids in the cinema I went to. xDD

@Fost: xD I was one of the only ones laughing. .x.

I think it should be rated a 12, not 12A. Because then, only people over the age of 12 can get in, whether their with an adult or not. O:

Operative
08-06-2008, 08:23 PM
In america, there are only four ratings.
G: Anyone any age can see it.
PG: Still, just about anyone can see it. May be small amounts of violence, but nothing a 8 or 9 year old can't handle.
PG-13: A pretty wide spectrum here. There are'nt many comedy films that have many sexual related jokes ever scene or so rated R. But as for violence, many films go R.
R: Age 17 or older. A pretty big jump from PG-13 if you ask me.. But most very violent films are placed in this spectrum. i.e. A lot of horror films, kind of dirty movies, and all the rest.

But yeah, as for the dark knight: I think it as almost rated R, but it's not THAT bad. But it was funny, because there was this very small child, probably just learned how to talk like, 8 months ago. He was probably just 4 years old, and he enjoyed the movie. He was fine. Except for the occasional question about what was going on to his father.

Wrong there is also the highest rating which is 17+.

No one the age of 17 and under can be allowed in regardless of an adult.

Oh yeah. :doh:

Don't worry.

Not many people know about that rating anyways.

There are VERY FEW movies with that rating.

Kendo
08-07-2008, 02:47 AM
Don't worry.

Not many people know about that rating anyways.

There are VERY FEW movies with that rating.
Try not to double post. :P

R is already 17+. I thought by the description it was a bit obvious, but that's just me.

I think that the kids in America enjoyed alll of that violence, while the kids in Britain normally aren't exposed to all that stuff. The United States seems like the most violent country, because they're exposing-what, six-year-olds?-to violence, smoking, and smex or whatever it was. Anyways, I bet Britain doesn't show that kind of stuff on TV normally.

Gilroih
08-07-2008, 03:01 AM
I think that 12 and older can see it. It was kind of dark but overall not that scary. I like the movie for the artistic value of the acting, but it's not really my kind movie.

Dark Turtwig
08-07-2008, 03:09 AM
Oh yeah, Heath Ledger did an amazing job acting as the joker. It's such a tradegedy that he died though. :sad:

Master_of_Munch
08-07-2008, 05:25 PM
Don't know how it is in the rest of America, but where I live, it was rated PG-13. It doesn't mean you have to be 13 or older, just that it's suggested that you have an adult with children younger than that. Other movies that are rated PG mean that it's suggested that adults accompany anyone that isn't an adult themselves, but I'm 15 and I get into PG movies all the time. That's America for you. America-the only place in the world the pizza guy gets to your house faster than an ambulance.

WorkThoseStripes
08-07-2008, 05:32 PM
I suppose that the outrage isn't totally out of proportion, for something which parents are bringing their younger children too, it is a bit violent and my be frightening to them. Thing is, the Batman comics and character was never aimed at children so young as that, it was aimed more at teenagers and young adults. The film, in all honsety, is simply sticking true to the Batman comics which had violence in as well. Adults who take their children to the film should be going fully aware of how Batman works and expect it not to be a children's superhero film.
So, it probobly should be a 15, but the parents who took their younger children to the film should have been aware, if they have followed the comics, of the fact that, seeing how Batman works, it was going to be violent.

Operative
08-07-2008, 09:33 PM
Try not to double post. :P

R is already 17+. I thought by the description it was a bit obvious, but that's just me.

I think that the kids in America enjoyed alll of that violence, while the kids in Britain normally aren't exposed to all that stuff. The United States seems like the most violent country, because they're exposing-what, six-year-olds?-to violence, smoking, and smex or whatever it was. Anyways, I bet Britain doesn't show that kind of stuff on TV normally.

No, R and 17+ are different.

I thought they were the same too but I saw that 17+ was a higher rating than any.

Oh and the double post thing was mistaken because someone deleted their post. x3

Anyways, I agree with what you said Kendo.

Kendo
08-07-2008, 10:57 PM
No, R and 17+ are different.

I thought they were the same too but I saw that 17+ was a higher rating than any.

Oh and the double post thing was mistaken because someone deleted their post. x3

Anyways, I agree with what you said Kendo.
That makes sense. X3

What's worse is that nothing's changing. Little tykes are still able to see massive blood and gore, flipping through TV channels and finding something dirty. That's America, as, uh, Wolf Guy (too lazy to check name) pointed out.

EDIT: I meant Master_of_Munchie-kun! Your Vote for Billy Mays theme made it so much more easier to remember your username. :O

Dana123
08-08-2008, 12:20 AM
I don't see anything wrong with it. I think it should stay the same ratings. Little kids probably have no idea what is going on anyway!

CrazyTrainer
08-08-2008, 10:25 PM
That movie was great!11/10

Operative
08-08-2008, 10:59 PM
That movie was great!11/10

We're not talking about rating the movie but we're disscussing the problems with little kids watching the violence and becoming scared.

Oh, Kendo. I think most of the blood gore and violence is in the TV for America, I don't know about everywhere else though...

CrazyTrainer
08-08-2008, 11:09 PM
Big deal just take bad channel off your tv.

Synester
08-09-2008, 02:59 AM
I think all of the little kids went to go see it is because of all the other Batman TV shows they've seen =/. They didn't ahve much violence aside from punching and kicking and every now and then a bloody nose. Which is why when some of the kids saw all of that stuff, they were scared. Also, I didn't like the Dark Knight much =/. Not as bad as a Harry Potter movie, but not much better =/.

The Maple Syrup Baptist
08-09-2008, 04:31 AM
Big deal just take bad channel off your tv.

LMAO. Quote for FAIL.

plusle and minun
08-19-2008, 11:45 PM
I'm 14 and I liked the movie. Except the movie theater's noise had to be so loud, i couldn't stand it. The one thing I hated was that when I had to go to the bathroom, the man that takes tickets stopped me and asked for it. I didn't have it, my uncle did. So after like 5 minutes the guy said I could go. I swear the guy was mental challenged because he could not stop twitching.

I live in America and the film was good. I think I saw one or two very young kids like say ages 8 or 6. They never left the theater. Everyone laughed at the Joker. He was pretty funny sometimes and Heath Ledger did an awesome role as him. Except Batman had to talk so low it sounded like he was eating a rock or something.