PDA

View Full Version : Possible Halo 3 expansion on the way!

Hypocrisy is Fun
08-13-2008, 06:05 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZCIdPfQqb8

Tell me what you think.

For the confused, Bungie won an innovation award for Halo 3, and as a response, they made this video. Looks promising.

Exon Auxus
08-13-2008, 06:13 AM
I saw. Big thing I agreed with was maybe getting some AI or something in there, because I don't always get to do online play, and I'm tired of having to choose some level in story mode or wait til some friends come over just to do a skirmish. :/

Clutch
08-13-2008, 06:37 AM
Coooooool.

"You may have finished the fight, but that doesn't necessarily mean the ride is over."
:surp:

Wonder what that means.

Vincent_Valentine_4
08-13-2008, 07:07 AM
Yeah offline multiplayer a.i. would be so cool and good practice.

SpaceUnicorn
08-13-2008, 03:34 PM
Ah, nice. Bots will be sorta fun I guess. Hopefully they will be pretty smart like in Perfect Dark's.

Orthar
08-14-2008, 11:27 AM
NO

NO

PLEASE GOD

NO

JUST STOP

JUST ******* STOP

THANK YOU

PLZ THANK YOU

JUST DIE.

And thank you.

I would be happy if you and all of the other noobs on here died. :D

I'm glad to hear this information, but I hope that this isn't the huge project that they were working on.

I still want information on that Peter Jackson/Bungie collaboration.

George Jefferson
08-14-2008, 03:18 PM
I would be happy if you and all of the other noobs on here died. :D

I'm glad to hear this information, but I hope that this isn't the huge project that they were working on.

I still want information on that Peter Jackson/Bungie collaboration.

I'm not particularly the noob here, if you think that Gaylo 3 deserves the award more than Portal.

Hypocrisy is Fun
08-15-2008, 03:45 AM
I'm not particularly the noob here, if you think that Gaylo 3 deserves the award more than Portal.

Portal had a portal gun. Innovative, yes? Well thats about all Portal had that made it good. It's fun the first time you play it, but it's not deep.

Let me tell you about a thing called Replay Value. It's something a good game like Halo 3 has, just like any other Halo game. The story is worth it's money, and the multiplayer is fantastic.

You may have fun playing the same damn games over and over again, but a lot of us don't. We like things that can bring us back into a game, and keep our attention for more than a few days, if thats even what Portal is worth in terms of gametime. It had not story, was built on a generic Valve engine, and has lost it's luster. It's a fun game and it's cake meme is fun, but it's not fun for that long.

Halo 3 has VARIETY. You can play the story with 3 other friends, mess with maps, play competitively, or play your own gametypes on maps you put together. You can share screenshots and make really good machinima out of Halo 3, which people are taking advantage of, and some of them are really good.

I'm not one to say one game is better than another, but come on. How many other games do what Halo 3 does? And if we're looking at a bigger map editor on a CONSOLE, we're looking at gold.

So please kindly get the hell out of this thread if you're going to bash Halo with no information as to why.

Kenny_C.002
08-15-2008, 10:24 PM
Portal had a portal gun. Innovative, yes? Well thats about all Portal had that made it good. It's fun the first time you play it, but it's not deep.

Let me tell you about a thing called Replay Value. It's something a good game like Halo 3 has, just like any other Halo game. The story is worth it's money, and the multiplayer is fantastic.

You may have fun playing the same damn games over and over again, but a lot of us don't. We like things that can bring us back into a game, and keep our attention for more than a few days, if thats even what Portal is worth in terms of gametime. It had not story, was built on a generic Valve engine, and has lost it's luster. It's a fun game and it's cake meme is fun, but it's not fun for that long.

Halo 3 has VARIETY. You can play the story with 3 other friends, mess with maps, play competitively, or play your own gametypes on maps you put together. You can share screenshots and make really good machinima out of Halo 3, which people are taking advantage of, and some of them are really good.

I'm not one to say one game is better than another, but come on. How many other games do what Halo 3 does? And if we're looking at a bigger map editor on a CONSOLE, we're looking at gold.

So please kindly get the hell out of this thread if you're going to bash Halo with no information as to why.
What does all of that have to do with innovation?

Replay value is not a property of innovation. Rather, a game with high replay value has little to do with how innovative it is.

Storyline: I find GLaDos far more fascinating as a character more so than any other character in Halo. Portal is akin to a comedy short story, whereas Halo an epic novel. To compare the two is unfair to say the least.

As for the multiplayer: I don't know any puzzle games of that sort that can be multiplayer. If you can somehow figure that out, it would be interesting.

As far as I'm concerned, Halo 3 is as varied as any other competent FPS game. Forge is something to yawn about when the Warcraft 3 eidtor, which predates Halo 3's editor, is incredibly more customizable to the layman. But that is not an entirely "fair" comparison either, considering it's Blizzard we're talking about. In terms of how innovative Forge is, I don't think it's innovative as it is essentially "about time" that this was to happen.

Innovation is taking a genre and putting a new twist to it. FP-Puzzle? Never been done before. Portal gun? Never seen something like this. Taking all of this from essentially an FPS engine? That's creativity (not innovation, though). Portal defines innovation with its existence. Forge is taking an old concept and refurbrishing it into the FPS genre. Innovative? No. Good idea? Yes.

Lord Fedora
08-15-2008, 11:30 PM

Replay value is not a property of innovation. Rather, a game with high replay value has little to do with how innovative it is.

Storyline: I find GLaDos far more fascinating as a character more so than any other character in Halo. Portal is akin to a comedy short story, whereas Halo an epic novel. To compare the two is unfair to say the least.

As for the multiplayer: I don't know any puzzle games of that sort that can be multiplayer. If you can somehow figure that out, it would be interesting.

As far as I'm concerned, Halo 3 is as varied as any other competent FPS game. Forge is something to yawn about when the Warcraft 3 eidtor, which predates Halo 3's editor, is incredibly more customizable to the layman. But that is not an entirely "fair" comparison either, considering it's Blizzard we're talking about. In terms of how innovative Forge is, I don't think it's innovative as it is essentially "about time" that this was to happen.

Innovation is taking a genre and putting a new twist to it. FP-Puzzle? Never been done before. Portal gun? Never seen something like this. Taking all of this from essentially an FPS engine? That's creativity (not innovation, though). Portal defines innovation with its existence. Forge is taking an old concept and refurbrishing it into the FPS genre. Innovative? No. Good idea? Yes.
All hail Kenny.

Anyways, I can't wait for this! Here's hoping it's free or less than 400 MS Points, because that's all I have.

Spartan MK-6
08-16-2008, 10:53 AM
AI in multiplayer maps would be pwn. Hopefully that is what they're making

Hypocrisy is Fun
08-17-2008, 08:02 AM

I never said innovation had anything to do with replay value, I was just stating that Halo 3 had more than Portal. By far.

You're contradicting yourself. You're telling me that because we've seen things like something before, means that it's not fresh and innovative. I'm aware that map editors have been done before, but so have first person shooters and puzzles. Sure you've seen it before, just in another form.

Just like Halo 3's forge. I never said Portal wasn't innovative, I was merely trying to point out that it's really not as big of a deal as most people would like to jump on the bandwagon and believe.

A concept similar to the Portal Gun was introduced in a game called Prey, it also came this gen, so plenty of people know about it. It had decent multiplayer, and I'm sure they could have taken the same concept and applied it in a Portal version. Did they? No.

I never tried to compare their stories, I was pointing out that Portal hardly had one.

Speaking of comparing, the only reason why I was doing so was because Kenneth up there decided to do it first, so I thought I might as well take a step down and explain things to him on his level of thought. I wasn't going to spam his thread, but at least give him a piece of my mind. >:o You know me, Kenny.

Kenny_C.002
08-17-2008, 02:16 PM
I never said innovation had anything to do with replay value, I was just stating that Halo 3 had more than Portal. By far.

You're contradicting yourself. You're telling me that because we've seen things like something before, means that it's not fresh and innovative. I'm aware that map editors have been done before, but so have first person shooters and puzzles. Sure you've seen it before, just in another form.

Just like Halo 3's forge. I never said Portal wasn't innovative, I was merely trying to point out that it's really not as big of a deal as most people would like to jump on the bandwagon and believe.

A concept similar to the Portal Gun was introduced in a game called Prey, it also came this gen, so plenty of people know about it. It had decent multiplayer, and I'm sure they could have taken the same concept and applied it in a Portal version. Did they? No.

I never tried to compare their stories, I was pointing out that Portal hardly had one.

Speaking of comparing, the only reason why I was doing so was because Kenneth up there decided to do it first, so I thought I might as well take a step down and explain things to him on his level of thought. I wasn't going to spam his thread, but at least give him a piece of my mind. >:o You know me, Kenny.

Kenneth was arguing that Portal should have won the innovation award instead of Halo's Forge. >.>

As for innovations on Forge vs. Portal. Portal opened up new design space for the First-person genre by being a FPP. Forge does nothing other than give you a simply map editor. By this comparison, it's clear that Portal is the "innovation".

The third paragraph has nothing to do with what I've been saying.

This is simply the limitations of the team itself, and the genre itself. That is, a puzzle game is difficult to turn into multiplayer, if possible. Even if it's possible, the team itself would have wasted an extra couple of years unemployed to program this out.

Yes, and by stating that Portal hardly ever had one, you've done a comparison to that of Halo. Besides that point, Portal is a short story. It's not supposed to be long for a story.

I don't mind that. I've given you a piece of my mind as well. :3

Seawolf
08-17-2008, 04:02 PM
Ah, cool. I've got about 400 MS points that I need to get rid of somehow.

Dr Scott
08-18-2008, 05:20 AM
Arguments aside, what's the expansion gunna have?

Any ideas or rumors tossed around?

Orthar
08-19-2008, 03:32 AM
Arguments aside, what's the expansion gunna have?

Any ideas or rumors tossed around?

Full Map Editor.

Build a map from the ground up.

Clutch
08-26-2008, 12:39 AM
Actually, looks like none of that is going to happen.

http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&cid=15268

And what they're doing with Lone Wolves and removing Social Big Team is ridiculous.

-Zodeon
08-27-2008, 03:01 PM
There will always be map expansions for multiplayer and new game types, but I dont think they will ever release extra campaign.

sceptile 100
11-17-2008, 06:26 PM
it is called halo 3 recon with a new campaign. and hopfully new recon armor