PDA

View Full Version : Reccomendations for GOOD new manga to buy?

Hoshika
08-18-2008, 09:34 PM
I've been looking around in Barnes & Noble today in the manga section, but nothing seems to look good (i.e.: it's ugly) or have that capturing-thing good manga storylines do when they're written well (i.e.: this is boring/cliche/stupid). I'm looking for something new and not mainstream (i.e.: NAH-ROO-TOE). Can anybody help me out here? Am I looking in the wrong place?

I also want to read the actual book, not read it on the internet. That just spoils things.

DragoniteMistress
08-18-2008, 09:50 PM
If you've got a nice wad of cash you're willing to blow off for a relatively lengthy series of short manga novels, then I'd suggest Tenjho Tenge (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenjho_Tenge).
Nice little manga with a decent anime to boot, if you're interested in watching the anime after reading the manga.

Or, if you're into comedy you could try Chibi Vampire (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chibi_Vampire).

Those are the only two off the top of my head that I can really think of.

Starkipraggy
08-19-2008, 07:13 AM
Me thinks Vampire Knight is good. If you can somehow get someone to sell it to you, Poke Special is made of pure win. Hellsing is an extremely fun but gory read if you want to.

Winter
08-19-2008, 05:05 PM
Er...I have a thing for Bleach, but I dunno what you're looking for. I would also suggest Rosario+Vampire though it's kinda new. (In the U.S. only volume 1 is out and maybe volume 2, I'm not sure.)

Kenny_C.002
08-20-2008, 08:56 PM
Code Geass the manga just came out a while ago, though that's probably too mainstream for you as well.

Go for Yakitate Japan, then. You can never go wrong with a manga about baking. :3

Nirvash
08-20-2008, 10:52 PM
If you're into a manga about the life of a high schooler or something not totally magical super powers or something of that sort, try I"s or Ichigo 100% (Strawberry 100%). Those, I guess, are mainstream, but really the only ones translated into english are either mainstream here or popular in Japan. PM me if you're really interested in reading stuff, because I can't explain everything in one post, and I don't want to. It reallly depends on your tastes, and I want to know what you've read.

skiboydoggy
08-21-2008, 10:12 AM
Screw too mainstream. One Piece is the way to go. YOU HEARD ME?! ONE GODDAMNED PIECE!
Failing that, there are several that I could recommend, but I need to know your tastes. Negima is always good.

Hoshika
08-21-2008, 04:49 PM
I don't want a magical-high-schooler-who-does-magic-whee kind of manga. The high school scenario is too overdone. I want some classical fantasy stuff, like .Hack without the computery stuff, and more interesting or something.

Or, a nice comedy that doesn't circle around high school crushes. I was looking in Barnes & Noble, and half the books were about high school romance. I'm absolutely sick of it.

I'm very picky.

I WANT SOMETHING I'VE NEVER EVER EVER EVER HEAD OF EVER EVER, FOO'.

Or else I'll just go back to making my own. :|

skiboydoggy
08-22-2008, 08:11 AM
I don't want a magical-high-schooler-who-does-magic-whee kind of manga. The high school scenario is too overdone. I want some classical fantasy stuff, like .Hack without the computery stuff, and more interesting or something.

Or, a nice comedy that doesn't circle around high school crushes. I was looking in Barnes & Noble, and half the books were about high school romance. I'm absolutely sick of it.

I'm very picky.

My point stands, One Piece and Negima, though mainstream, are epic in more ways than can be counted. Negima only starts picking up from the third volume onwards and has constant bouts of romancey-highschooley stuff, but can turn the epic on.

One Piece is just... Whoa.

HunterXHunter, YuYu Hakusho, Claymore, Tsubasa, stuffz.

Starkipraggy
08-22-2008, 08:41 AM

I'm very picky.

Alternatively you can read Yakitake Japan. :3 About the most awesome bread in the world.

And read Pokemons if you can get it.

Scourge of Amaranth
08-23-2008, 02:49 AM
Hm. You're a tough cookie, but I will crack you yet!

X/1999 is decent, and not particularly mainstream. Great art... and permanently on hiatus... but interesting nonetheless. There are undertones of romance, but the story gets increasingly gory as the plot progresses and focuses more on... saving the earth.

Basic plot: heaven versus earth.

Boring, right?

Eh, at first, maybe.

But then... the plot thickens! There are seven Dragons of Heaven and Seven Dragons of Earth: the Seals and the Harbringers. Despite that, whichever side wins is determined by the choice of a single boy, who seems to be the seventh on BOTH sides but must choose between the two. Fueled by a desire to protect his childhood friend, the boy, Kamui, makes a choice.... Turns out things aren't quite as simple as first believed.

There is a fourteenth Dragon.

Or... screw 'too mainstream' and go for Death Note. It's basically about a bored genius who picks up a Notebook dropped by a Shinigami that has the power to kill anyone whose name and face is known to the writer. The boy, Light Yagami, at first has a simple motive as he begins utilizing the Death Note: purify the world. Stop crime by killing criminals and intimidating evildoers into complacence. Soon, the power and the Death Note warp his mind and goals, turning the boy into something else entirely....

Entire series takes place over (IIRC) six/eight years. It's only twelve volumes, so as far as manga goes, it's a good deal. Plus, this is one of my top five favorites.

~IGC t DM+

Poring
08-23-2008, 06:33 PM
How about Dr. Slump? <_<

Edit: Yakitate Japan is about the kid with the magic baking hands, or something, right? I watched an episode of it once, but it was in Tagalog so I had no idea of what was going on. I think they said "wonder bread" a couple times. It looked pretty funny, but maybe that was just because of the voice actors.

Poltergeist
08-23-2008, 07:34 PM
Well then how about Katekyo Hitman Reborn? It's about a kid whose next in line to become a mafia boss and recieves a baby tutor to help him along the way. The first seven volumes focus on comedy, which I honestly wasn't too into, but once you get to the eigth volume it focuses way more on some awesome fights. Also, I find D gray man an interesting read if ya wanna take a peek at that.

Hoshika
08-24-2008, 02:21 AM
Tsubasa was really interesting when I saw it, but my dad pulled me away from it for some reason. My family must have a grudge for taste. I'll check it next time. :|

Read Pokémon Special Yellow. IT WAS TOO SHORT. D:

I'd also like something that is going to end without a permanent hiatus, thank you very much.

WHAT ARE MAGICAL BAKING HANDS

Phantom Kat
08-24-2008, 06:50 AM
Well, you said something that wasn't mainstream... :P

"+Anima" is a really cute manga. It doesn't have really awesome battles or deep romance or a super awesome, complex plot. It's more of a light fluff and comedy manga that still has undertones of sadness and character devolopement. The main characters are kids who are +Anima (+Anima: a human who has animal characteristics/anima powers), basically outcasts by society. There are eight volumes right now, the ninth coming out this September, ten in total.

Shuricel did a review on it if you want to check it out. (http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2171302&postcount=48)

- Kat

Kenny_C.002
08-24-2008, 11:45 PM
WHAT ARE MAGICAL BAKING HANDS

His hands are warmer than other people's hands, which apparently makes better bread than those that don't. Just remember, Kenny recommend Yakitate Japan first. x3

I also liked Claymore, though it's also quite mainstream.

Bokurano is good. it's about these kids that have to enter this "game" (in some form of mecha) in order to keep their own lives. Plot twists, etc. abound. It's one of the few that's really good, but much unknown.

If you don't mind psychological type manga, Monster is a good one. It's about a doctor who saved a kid's life at the expense of his entire career, and then realizing that this kid is a psychopath. He goes around hunting for this guy, but then begin to understand the truth behind this kid. i watched all 77 episodes of the anime in a week, because it was that damn good.

City Hunter, while not a fantasy type thing, is a classic from the 80's era.

Draconic_Espeon
08-28-2008, 11:01 PM
Hm. Well, I may have a few...

I thought Dragon Drive was fairly good, or at least, what I've read of it (which is about three volumes xP). Anyway, there's this virtual reality game that's getting really popular, and the whole point of it basically is that you control a dragon and fight the dragons of others. It turns out to be a plot by the game's creators, Ri-On, to find kids that are really good at the game and send them to another world that the game is linked to, in order to use them as soldiers to fight for them. I don't know a whole lot, but I know it's one that I'd like to read more of if I could. You might find it interesting. It seems kind of juvenile at first but it gets better as you read.

If you want something really different and don't mind a sports manga, Eyeshield 21 is good. It's about football, but it's actually a lot more interesting than it sounds. I was really apprehensive about reading it at first, but there's a lot of humor, and it portrays the games in a way that isn't nearly as boring as you'd think it would be. It also explains things so even people who know nothing about football, like I do, can figure out what's going on.

At the moment, I can't think of anything else that isn't mainstream. >> Er, Fullmetal Alchemist is mainstream but I'm saying it anyway. xP

Hoshika
08-29-2008, 03:22 AM
So I read .Hack//Legend of the Twilight. Scratch it off the list. It was good. There should be more stuff like that, but not exactly like it.

I tried reading more of Tsubasa in the bookstore, but the way it's drawn/shaded makes me feel frustrated.

Has anybody seen anything about the next Zelda manga? I read it out of obsession. o_o

Kenny_C.002
08-31-2008, 04:22 PM
I've been reading Fairy Tail for a while, and it's looking pretty good. It's done by the same person who did One Piece, with characters that look very similar to that certain anime (Lucy = Nami with long hair?, Natsu looks like Luffy?). Pretty creative in terms of magic as well. :3

Operative
09-01-2008, 08:31 PM
If you want something fantasical try picking up a manga called ' Pita-Ten ' [ TokyoPop ]

I found it very interesting.

I'm very picking about manga, too so maybe this one will work for you.

skiboydoggy
09-06-2008, 05:51 PM
I've been reading Fairy Tail for a while, and it's looking pretty good. It's done by the same person who did One Piece, with characters that look very similar to that certain anime (Lucy = Nami with long hair?, Natsu looks like Luffy?). Pretty creative in terms of magic as well. :3
Same guy who did Rave Master, not One Piece.