PDA

View Full Version : My Gengar.

declan9
08-20-2008, 09:57 AM
I have my Gengar, with a terrible moveset. Could I please have some help?

Gengar, Lv. 56

Dream Eater,
Hypnosis,
Sucker Punch,
Nightmare.

Help me please!

X

Mattybob
08-20-2008, 11:04 AM
well, if its a Special sweper you'll want lots of specs

i use

Shadow ball
Thunderbolt
Toxic
Phychic

i havent used it in wifi yet but it worked good while Ev'ing :D

declan9
08-20-2008, 11:14 AM
But, My Lvl. 100 alakazam's moveset is:

Shadow Ball,
Shock Wave,
Psychic,
Toxic,

And my lvl. 60 (I intend on training to lvl. 100) Starmie's moveset is:

Thunderbolt,
Psychic,
Surf,
Ice Beam.

X

Mattybob
08-20-2008, 11:42 AM
what role does it play in your team?

declan9
08-20-2008, 12:17 PM
Well, both my Starmie and Alakazam are probably special Sweepers, aren't they?

X

Yagami
08-20-2008, 12:25 PM
I have my Gengar, with a terrible moveset. Could I please have some help?

Gengar @ Wide Lens
Timid
6 HP/ 252 Sp. Atk/ 252 Speed

Thunderbolt,
Hypnosis,
Shadow Ball,
Substitute/Focus Blast.

Help me please!

X

Fixes in BOLD.

Thunderbolt and Shadow Ball are for type coverage plus Gengar gets STAB with Shadow Ball.

Yagami
08-20-2008, 12:27 PM
well, if its a Special sweper you'll want lots of specs

i use

Shadow ball
Thunderbolt
Toxic
Phychic

i havent used it in wifi yet but it worked good while Ev'ing :D

Toxic on a Gengar is a terrible idea. It's not a wall and is definitely not a sweeping move.

declan9
08-20-2008, 12:43 PM
What does STAB mean?

And Toxic on alakazam is a good idea?

X

Yagami
08-20-2008, 09:29 PM
What does STAB mean?

And Toxic on alakazam is a good idea?

X

STAB means Same Type Attack Bonus. You deal 1.5 times the normal amount of damage to an opponent's Pokémon if the attack used is the same type as the Pokémon. Toxic on Alakazam is also a terrible idea.

Viva la Gofre
08-20-2008, 09:40 PM
Yagami, Gengar runs Timid over modest as to outrun +Nature base 102s and below, most notably garchomp. Ice beam is also never used, seeing that gengar cannot learn it ;) Standard garchomp sets:

Garchomp@Wide Lense/Life Orb
Timid
252SpAtt/252Spd/6HP
Thunderbolt
Hypnosis
Shadow Ball
Focus Blast
Focus Blast stops blissey from fully laughing in it's face, 3HKOing the old standard (252Def/252HP@Bold) and 4HKOing new standard (176SpDef@Calm).

Theres also the choice variant to consider:
Gengar@Choice Scarf/Choice Specs
Modest/Timid
252SpAtt/252Spd/6HP
Shadow Ball
Thunderbolt
Focus Blast
HP Ice
While a scarf may seem a waste on a poke already very fast, a timid ScarfGar will outspeed a Deoxys-S with 252Spd and a neutral nature, something that would usually threaten it with Shadow Ball. Specs set is just raw power, and works quite well. The regular set I first mentioned is arguably the most effective.

Dark Turtwig
08-20-2008, 09:43 PM
The moveset I have on my Gengar is:
Shadow Ball
Focus Blast
Hypnosis
Thunderbolt.
So far, it has worked pretty well. Focus Blast has come in quite handy in a lot of cases. And since Gengar has very high sp atk, and speed, Shadow Ball is a good move, even against Special Walls, like Blissey, or Mantine.

Viva la Gofre
08-20-2008, 09:46 PM
The moveset I have on my Gengar is:
Shadow Ball
Focus Blast
Hypnosis
Thunderbolt.
So far, it has worked pretty well. Focus Blast has come in quite handy in a lot of cases. And since Gengar has very high sp atk, and speed, Shadow Ball is a good move, even against Special Walls, like Blissey, or Mantine.
Shadow ball is terrible against blissey, seeing as blissey is immune to ghost moves :|
Mantine was also last seen used in OU around the 18th century.

Dark Turtwig
08-20-2008, 09:47 PM
Shadow ball is terrible against blissey, seeing as blissey is immune to ghost moves :|
Mantine was also last seen used in OU around the 18th century.

Oh my god.. I totally spaced that... I mean focus blast against blissey. :oops:

Yagami
08-20-2008, 10:01 PM
Yagami, Gengar runs Timid over modest as to outrun +Nature base 102s and below, most notably garchomp. Ice beam is also never used, seeing that gengar cannot learn it ;) Standard garchomp sets:

Garchomp@Wide Lense/Life Orb
Timid
252SpAtt/252Spd/6HP
Thunderbolt
Hypnosis
Shadow Ball
Focus Blast
Focus Blast stops blissey from fully laughing in it's face, 3HKOing the old standard (252Def/252HP@Bold) and 4HKOing new standard (176SpDef@Calm).

Theres also the choice variant to consider:
Gengar@Choice Scarf/Choice Specs
Modest/Timid
252SpAtt/252Spd/6HP
Shadow Ball
Thunderbolt
Focus Blast
HP Ice
While a scarf may seem a waste on a poke already very fast, a timid ScarfGar will outspeed a Deoxys-S with 252Spd and a neutral nature, something that would usually threaten it with Shadow Ball. Specs set is just raw power, and works quite well. The regular set I first mentioned is arguably the most effective.

Sorry I'll edit that now.

declan9
08-20-2008, 10:29 PM
Okay, it doesn't seem I'm really gettin that far just alot of debate!

I'll make it easier, I definately want Hypnosis in the moveset, but what about Dream Eater/Nightmare.

And where do I obtain a wide lense?

X

Dark Turtwig
08-20-2008, 10:32 PM
Okay, it doesn't seem I'm really gettin that far just alot of debate!

I'll make it easier, I definately want Hypnosis in the moveset, but what about Dream Eater/Nightmare.

And where do I obtain a wide lense?

X

You can buy a wide lens from the Game Corner exchnage, and I would keep Hypnosis, but get rid of either Dream Eater, or Nightmare. You need to get rid of at least one for opposite type coverage.

declan9
08-20-2008, 10:45 PM
Yes, but which move? Would Dream Eater not be beneficial with the item that boosts helath regaining moves?

And what other 2 moves?

X

Claona
08-20-2008, 11:02 PM
Don't use Dream Eater/Nightmare, as your opponent will likley switch out if hypnosis hits.

Dark Turtwig
08-20-2008, 11:06 PM
For the other two moves, I would say Thunderbolt and Focus Blast/Ice Beam. I have focus blast and it has worked well in combination with Focus Blast, but some people use Ice Beam. Whatever you want.

shiny hunter
08-21-2008, 04:15 AM
For the other two moves, I would say Thunderbolt and Focus Blast/Ice Beam. I have focus blast and it has worked well in combination with Focus Blast, but some people use Ice Beam. Whatever you want.

Try no gengar at all. Way too many people use one nobody gives the much better froslass a chance. If you want strong members on your team froslass and aerodactyl are very good choices.

declan9
08-21-2008, 09:21 AM
Okay, So, the moveset so far..

Hypnosis,
Thunderbolt,
Focus Blast,
-

Last one! :)

Maybe a good idea would be Dark Pulse/Giga Drain/Energy Ball? :confused:

X

Dog of Hellsing
08-21-2008, 09:36 AM
Make your last move Shadow Ball: otherwise you get no STAB and Alakazam can walk all over you.

Honestly, if you're making a Sweeper, Hypnosis should go in favor of another move. Psychic is a strong choice, since you also don't have anything to hit Fighting Mon very hard.

So:

~Shadow Ball
~Thunderbolt
~Psychic
~Focus Blast

gives you a good array of moves and let's you cover a lot of things. Life Orb wouldn't work well here since you have nothing for HP recovery, but Wise Glasses would work well. You should be able to OHKO most things, 2-3HKO just about everything else.

Also, Hypnosis on Gengar is kinda risky. Alakazam comes out and Taunts you when you try to use it, giving it a chance to set up and sweep you with Psychic. Or it misses and Froslass says hi with Shadow Ball, then hits you with Ice Shard (a priority move) for the KO. If you really want it, go ahead, but if it misses or you get Taunted before you get a chance to use it...well, one botched turn can screw ya over for the match lol.

EDIT: Also keep in mind Encore: if Hypnosis misses and you get Encored, you'll have to keep using that move for several turns. That's not good if a SleepTalker comes out to have fun raping Gar.

Viva la Gofre
08-21-2008, 09:45 AM
Try no gengar at all. Way too many people use one nobody gives the much better froslass a chance. If you want strong members on your team froslass and aerodactyl are very good choices.

Froslass is terrible compared to gengar, hence why it is UU. Also, choices are dependant on the rest of the team, you cannot just shove a sweeper in and assume it will work. Aerodactyl is also UU, indicating there are better choices out there.

Okay, So, the moveset so far..

Maybe a good idea would be Dark Pulse/Giga Drain/Energy Ball? :confused:

X
None of those moves give the coverage the gengar needs, whereas focus blast (Which has been mentioned several times before) is the smogon standard and actually allows it to harm blissey.

Make your last move Shadow Ball: otherwise you get no STAB and Alakazam can walk all over you.

Honestly, if you're making a Sweeper, Hypnosis should go in favor of another move. Psychic is a strong choice, since you also don't have anything to hit Fighting Mon very hard.

So:

~Shadow Ball
~Thunderbolt
~Psychic
~Focus Blast

gives you a good array of moves and let's you cover a lot of things. Life Orb wouldn't work well here since you have nothing for HP recovery, but Wise Glasses would work well. You should be able to OHKO most things, 2-3HKO just about everything else.

Gengar is too frail to warrant HP recovery- Life Orb makes it even stronger and offers a bigger boost than wise glasses.

Also, Hypnosis on Gengar is kinda risky. Alakazam comes out and Taunts you when you try to use it, giving it a chance to set up and sweep you with Psychic. Or it misses and Froslass says hi with Shadow Ball, then hits you with Ice Shard (a priority move) for the KO. If you really want it, go ahead, but if it misses or you get Taunted before you get a chance to use it...well, one botched turn can screw ya over for the match lol.

Hypnosis is very good on gengar, seeing as he cannot afford to be hit and will not be able to OHKO lots of walls who can abuse his poor defences. Hypnosis leaves them incapacitated, allowing gengar to 2 or 3HKO them without any trouble. Plus nobody keeps frail sweepers in against pokes with priority moves, and who would use hypnosis on a poke they can OHKO anyway?
Psychic attacks also sucks unless it has STAB, since they offer 0 coverage.

The sets I posted are the Smogon standards, and are as good as they get.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/gengar

Clickedy click for competetive info on gengar.

declan9
08-21-2008, 10:06 AM
But I already have two pokemon with the move Psychic and Starmie with Thunderbolt.

X

Starkipraggy
08-21-2008, 10:06 AM

So:

~Shadow Ball
~Thunderbolt
~Psychic
~Focus Blast

EDIT: Also keep in mind Encore: if Hypnosis misses and you get Encored, you'll have to keep using that move for several turns. That's not good if a SleepTalker comes out to have fun raping Gar.
And Hypnosis got extra accuracy this gen. With Wide Lens, there's a 70% chance I think. Or 80%.

And I thought Aero was BL.

Zam gets killed everywhere this gen, so Gengar has even less things to worry about.

I suddenly think of McGar. :3

Viva la Gofre
08-21-2008, 10:09 AM
But I already have two pokemon with the move Psychic and Starmie with Thunderbolt.

X

Dont give him psychic, but he needs thunderbolt.

And Hypnosis got extra accuracy this gen. With Wide Lens, there's a 70% chance I think. Or 80%.

And I thought Aero was BL.

Zam gets killed everywhere this gen, so Gengar has even less things to worry about.

I suddenly think of McGar. :3

77% with Wide Lense (70+10%)

Aero was recently demoted by smogon to UU (As was weezing, the guys are crazy :P)

Yeah alakazam does suck this gen.

declan9
08-22-2008, 07:45 AM
Okay, so...

Gengar @ Wide Lense

Hypnosis
Dream Eater
Dark Pulse (would this provide coverage on Alakazam?)
Focus Blast?

X

Starkipraggy
08-22-2008, 07:49 AM
Okay, so...

Gengar @ Wide Lense

Hypnosis
Dream Eater
Focus Blast?

X
No. Thunderbolt over Dark Pulse. Or Shadow Ball over that. And replace Dream Eater with either one of the two moves I mentioned.

Viva la Gofre
08-22-2008, 02:21 PM
Okay, so...

Gengar @ Wide Lense

Hypnosis
Dream Eater
Focus Blast?

X
Dark pulse offers inferior coverage on alakazam, since Shadow Ball is super effective and gives STAB. Shadow Ball over Dark Pulse and thunderbolt over dream eater (Which should never be used)