PDA

View Full Version : It's made of horrible (RMT)

Lokid
09-20-2008, 04:14 PM
As told in the title, my team really needs some help. Here it comes:

http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/sprites/dpmfa/dpmfa059.png

Arcanine @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -Sp Atk)
Extremespeed
Flare Blitz
Thunder Fang
Iron Tail

Well, it's a great switch in on a fire attack, sine it gets a 1.5 attack boost from Flash Fire, and it doesn't get hurt. It's also nice with the priority move, even though it has Choice Scarf, for example against a pokemon who has activated Salac Berry, which means it has a low health, but same speed bonus. All in all a fine physical sweeper/revenge killer.

http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/sprites/dpmfa/dpmfa065.png

Alakazam @ Life Orb
Trait: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Sp Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
Psychic
Shadow Ball
Focus Blast
Charge Beam

A great sweeper, because of it's awesome speed and Sp Atk. It also has good ype coverage, though it's defences arent to great. I have thought of maybe replacing Life Orb with Choice Specs and Charge Beam with Trick, so make it really annoying for a physical sweeper or some kind of staller. I have also thought of just replacing Charge Beam with Grass Knot, to have an easier times against the water/ground combos.

http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/sprites/dpmfa/dpmfa068.png

Macahmp @ Leftovers
Trait: No Guard
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 Spe
DynamicPunch
Stone Edge
Rest
Sleep Talk

Well, he's the tried and true Rest Talker. He's great at absorbing status problems, so pokemon planning on using WoW will have some trouble bringing him down. Also the whole No Guard + DynamicPunch is priceless. Huge damage with almost no chance of avoiding it, and a confuse with it, brutal.

http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/sprites/dpmfa/dpmfa469.png

Yanmega @ Wiseglasses
Trait: Speed Boost
Protect
Air Slash
Bug Buzz
Hypnosis

The general Yanmega. A great starter, who can take almost anything, and all that he cant, he'll just use hypnosis on and switch out of. Not much to say other than that really.

http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/sprites/dpmfa/dpmfa477.png

Dusknoir @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Atk / 24 Def
Ice Punch
Substitute
Focus Punch
Shadow Sneak

He's a great SubPuncher. He has good defences and fair health, so that it might actually take an attack. And if the opponent has a Focus Sash, he takes great pride in ripping their hope into pieces with Shadow Sneak. Pressure helps too.

http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/sprites/dpmfa/dpmfa465.png

Tangrowth @ Leftovers
Trait: Leaf Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 228 Def / 28 Spe
Impish Nature (+Def, -Sp Atk)
Knock Off
Leech Seed
Power Whip
Sleep Powder

He's a great physical wall. He can take almost anything that's physical, and he rarely goes down unnoticed. Leech Seed + Leftovers make for a great regeneration of HP, and Knock Off weakens and annoys the enemy a lot. Sleep Powder is great of you have to switch out safely, or just take an opponent down slowly.

So, this is my team. Now, i at least need help with 2 huge problems it has. A flying pokemon, like Staraptor, can rip through it, since there's no Rock/Steel pokemon to stop it. And i don't have enough anti dragon attacks, so a dragon user will have little problems with taking me out. All help is appreciated :)

Viva la Gofre
09-20-2008, 08:22 PM
As told in the title, my team really needs some help. Here it comes:

http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/sprites/dpmfa/dpmfa059.png

Arcanine @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Extremespeed
Flare Blitz
Thunder Fang
Iron Tail/Overheat

Well, it's a great switch in on a fire attack, sine it gets a 1.5 attack boost from Flash Fire, and it doesn't get hurt. It's also nice with the priority move, even though it has Choice Scarf, for example against a pokemon who has activated Salac Berry, which means it has a low health, but same speed bonus. All in all a fine physical sweeper/revenge killer.

Intimidate if you're leading with this, flash fire is useless on the off. Iron tale is weak, innacurate and has moot coverage. Overheat is viable to see off physical walls.

http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/sprites/dpmfa/dpmfa065.png

Alakazam @ Life Orb
Trait: Inner Focus
Psychic
Shadow Ball
Focus Blast
Charge Beam

A great sweeper, because of it's awesome speed and Sp Atk. It also has good ype coverage, though it's defences arent to great. I have thought of maybe replacing Life Orb with Choice Specs and Charge Beam with Trick, so make it really annoying for a physical sweeper or some kind of staller. I have also thought of just replacing Charge Beam with Grass Knot, to have an easier times against the water/ground combos.

Meh, I prefer TrickSpecs. Alakazam is extremely fragile so you cannot afford to take any hits at all, especially with LO. The set's fine though.

http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/sprites/dpmfa/dpmfa068.png

Macahmp @ Leftovers
Trait: No Guard/Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 Spe
DynamicPunch/Cross Chop
Stone Edge
Rest
Sleep Talk

Well, he's the tried and true Rest Talker. He's great at absorbing status problems, so pokemon planning on using WoW will have some trouble bringing him down. Also the whole No Guard + DynamicPunch is priceless. Huge damage with almost no chance of avoiding it, and a confuse with it, brutal.

I am a firm believer in Guts on RestChamp, even if smogon states the contrary. The power of choice band for two turns while immune to other status is a worthy trade off for dynamic punch in my opinion. The set's fine though.

http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/sprites/dpmfa/dpmfa469.png

Yanmega @ Wiseglasses
Trait: Speed Boost
Modest Nature (+SpAtt, -Atk)
HP Ground/HP Fire/HP Fight
Air Slash
Bug Buzz
Hypnosis

The general Yanmega. A great starter, who can take almost anything, and all that he cant, he'll just use hypnosis on and switch out of. Not much to say other than that really.

Yanmega is recieving speed boosts every turn, it doesnt need timid. Protect is also severly limiting its coverage, at the moment it can't touch steels at all. HP Ground is 4x on heatran, Fire is SE on skarm and Zong, and Fight offers neutral on the lot.

http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/sprites/dpmfa/dpmfa477.png

Dusknoir @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Atk / 24 Def
Ice Punch
Substitute
Focus Punch
Shadow Sneak

He's a great SubPuncher. He has good defences and fair health, so that it might actually take an attack. And if the opponent has a Focus Sash, he takes great pride in ripping their hope into pieces with Shadow Sneak. Pressure helps too.

Gdgd

http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/sprites/dpmfa/dpmfa465.png

Tangrowth @ Leftovers
Trait: Leaf Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 228 Def / 28 Spe
Impish Nature (+Def, -Sp Atk)
Knock Off
Leech Seed
Power Whip
Sleep Powder

He's a great physical wall. He can take almost anything that's physical, and he rarely goes down unnoticed. Leech Seed + Leftovers make for a great regeneration of HP, and Knock Off weakens and annoys the enemy a lot. Sleep Powder is great of you have to switch out safely, or just take an opponent down slowly.

Yarp

So, this is my team. Now, i at least need help with 2 huge problems it has. A flying pokemon, like Staraptor, can rip through it, since there's no Rock/Steel pokemon to stop it. And i don't have enough anti dragon attacks, so a dragon user will have little problems with taking me out. All help is appreciated :)

Changes in bold. This team would very much like a special wall somewhere, over machamp or Noir since both fulfill the same role of bulky attackers (I'd ditch Noir, it's subs are tiny and dont help too much). Switching Tangrowth for a physical wall with steel typing (Skarm, forry and to a lesser extent steelix) will solve your issue with a lack of dragon/flying resist. You may have implied that yanmega is your lead and not arcanine. If that is the case, flash fire would work well on arcanine, taking FFs aimed at yanmega and (Should you choose to use one) your steel wall.

Overall not a bad team, but a steel type would certainly improve the balance.

-Holland-
09-21-2008, 07:49 AM
For the sake of an Ice attack, you shouldn't rely on Dusknoir, because it'll suffice to say that nothing acts well as a wall and as a sweeper, barring Charge Beam Porygon2, but even that is fallible in terms of walling.

While Dusknoir is good and has its uses with a pretty good Attack stat and very high Defenses, I only see it helping this team because it has Ice Punch, because, as aforementioned, he makes rather feeble substitutes. If you want an Ice attack, give HP Ice to Alakazam over Focus Blast. You have both said that he's much too frail to be taking any hits, so why take the risk? Machamp will tear Tyranitar apart inside-out, especially since he resists both of his STAB attacks. Moreover, Alakazam has the Speed to decimate Salamence in a flash, as opposed to Dusknoir, who may suffer a substantially painful, or even fatal Outrage before putting down the gaping lizard.

Thus, I really suggest getting rid of Dusknoir, because he seems to be falling into this nether space in-between your sweepers and your walls, but since you have both extremities covered, barring a special wall, then there's no point in him sticking around. You should at least consider this Registeel:

@ Leftovers
Relaxed
252 HP, 44 Def, 212 Sp. Def.
-Hammer Arm/ Explosion
-Toxic
-Thunder Wave
-Ice Punch

Now, first of all, you may be thinking of the Smogon set's EVs, but I put my accidental overcompensation of Special Defense EVs there because it saved me against a Porygon-Z using HP Fighting one time, surviving with a mere 8 HP, only to retaliate and kill it with Explosion. I took Thunder off because, quite frankly, his Thunder is a bit pathetic when it's not used on Gyarados, and since Arcanine can handle that, there's no point if it's going to be inferior. Hammer Arm generally useful for many situations, especially when pitted against Blissey, and since Registeel trots like a snail anyway, the Speed drop won't matter. Moreover, Thunder Wave will nullify the detriment of using Hammer Arm to begin with. Toxic is the ultimate stalling tool for tank vs. tank, and Ice Punch is there because it hits pretty much anything, including Gengar. If you really don't give a damn to have him attacking most of the time (like I do), go ahead and put Explosion in the first slot, since, like I said, Ice Punch hits pretty much everything, and since his Attack power warrants any significant damage strictly by right of super-effective hits, Ice is the element you'll find yourself using very often, with all the Dragons and Flying types that hang around in the OU metagame. If you're a kamikaze kind of player, Stealth Rock can replace Ice Punch to be used before you blow chunks of yourself, or it can go over Explosion if you want to use this as a utility. If that's the case, then you can rely on Machamp to some extent to take the hits that will be thrown at Registeel, since Flying and Psychic attacks won't even catch sight of it while it's in play. But, overall, it's a very sturdy special wall. I've sometimes just put him to great use by sucking up hits and tossing out Toxic and Thunder Wave like a vending machine of misery and death. Best of all, his Steel type makes it incredibly easy to absorb hits from all around the attacking spectrum. As for his weaknesses, you've covered that, too: if you hide Arcanine well, he will gobble up Fire attacks; Tangrowth is merely tickled by Earthquake, and Yanmega is wholly unaffected; and also, Yanmega can take some Fighting attacks, while Tangrowth will take to his niche and wall them. The cool part is that Registeel can survive most super-effective attacks to begin with.

As for everything else, it seems fine. I don't think your team is horrible. You might just have some bad luck in finding more experienced players.

Lokid
09-21-2008, 09:09 PM
I myself have looked at a pokemon that i like a lot, and i was thinking if it would fit into my team, and what i should switch out, if so.

The pokemon is:

http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/sprites/dpmfa/dpmfa464.png

Rhyperior @ Leftovers
Trait: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Stone Edge
Earthquake
Megahorn
Avalanche

I am not too great with natures and EVs, but the moveset and item are locked down. Now i'm thinking, this guy should be able to take a EQ from the typical Garchomp, because of Solid Rock and his massive defence. And he should also be able to take down Salamence/Dragonite down with Stone Edge (in case they might use Dragon Dance). He has a great type coverage. He also should be able to take down Bronzong, because of Solid Rock and his heavy defence, and Bronzongs horrible attack. He'd be ale to get normal power attacks with Megahorn, and Bronzong has no other recovery than Rest/Leftovers. I think he'd be able to cover my Flying and Dragon, and any other weakness for that matter, that's on my team. But what do you think?

Viva la Gofre
09-21-2008, 09:13 PM
Before you begin adding additional pokemon to the mix, I think it's better to address the problems already presented, notably this team's inability to take special hits and an overdose of bulky attackers-In fact Rhyperior would add to both of these problems.

Lokid
09-21-2008, 09:15 PM
Right, but would you know of any special spunges, that would fit my team? I really don't have much experience on that part (as you might guess ^^)

Viva la Gofre
09-21-2008, 09:23 PM
Right, but would you know of any special spunges, that would fit my team? I really don't have much experience on that part (as you might guess ^^)
The queen of special walling is undeniably blissey, nothing can top her at that outside of ubers. Snorlax also works well, as do (To a lesser extent, being UU/BL) articuno, regice and the afformentioned registeel. Articuno would be a poor choice, giving yoyu a second quad weak to rock attacks and stealth rock, but the others would all make good choices. Diarago's Registeel set is good, but if you want any others let me know.

Lokid
09-21-2008, 09:26 PM
Maybe something a little less... legendary? I don't care one bit if it is UU/BL btw, i love to surprise people with pokemon they might not expect

Viva la Gofre
09-21-2008, 09:46 PM
Maybe something a little less... legendary? I don't care one bit if it is UU/BL btw, i love to surprise people with pokemon they might not expect
That's the problem, if people don't expect it then it's usually not worth using. Special Wall is probably the smallest category of pokemon, with the ones listed making up 99% of the group. The only other non-legends you could really class as special walls are mantine and hypno, but neither of them can cope properly outside of UU. Bliss or Lax are the way forward, the others can be used at a push.

Crazed One
09-21-2008, 09:58 PM
I can't believe no one has thought of Vaporeon. Great HP and SpDef and a water attack which your team currently lacks.

-Holland-
09-22-2008, 06:04 AM
I can't believe no one has thought of Vaporeon. Great HP and SpDef and a water attack which your team currently lacks.

This is true...It can go over Dusknoir. Actually...:

@ Leftovers
Bold
188 HP, 252 Def, 68 Sp. Att.
-Surf
-Yawn
-Ice Beam
-Wish

You can move the Defense EVs over to Special Defense to act better as a Special sponge, but beware that it will severely limit its ability to blow Infernape to hell, as Close Combat will be substantially much stronger. Good Wish Passer, and Surf and Ice beam are there for coverage. Yawn is simply an excellent move that I revere highly in the OU metagame, and Vaporeon's arguably one of the best users of it. It's actually more effective than Hypnosis and/or Spore in many situations, as it won't immediately initiate the Sleep Clause. Hence, Yawning a switch-in will compromise their attacking/tanking ability, and since Vaporeon's extremely bulky as it is, it's hardly feasible that they will OHKO him. Yawn will leave the opponent flustered on what to do, as most Vaporeons don't even use this move very generously, and so when it lands on a strong sweeper, it's either they switch out to save their wit, or stay in to prevent the sleep clause. Better yet, it will make Sceptile fall asleep even after it makes a Subsitute.

I still stick to my Registeel recommendation, but do note that Vaporeon is very good at attacking, as well as stalling. Mine has saved me many, many times, and even held its own taking out the opponent's Pokemon with Surf and Ice Beam.

Lokid
09-22-2008, 12:26 PM
Well, i think i'll try the registeel then, though it's going to be a tough ride to get one with the right nature :S

Lokid
09-22-2008, 05:15 PM
Oh, btw, if i were to make a Snorlax wall, how would it look? I might consider taking one instead of Registeel (it's simply too hard to get)