View Full Version : Boy dies on disney ride

JoshE
06-15-2005, 01:55 PM
Updated: 08:04 AM EDT
Death After Disney Ride Sparks Call for Federal Review
Cause Unknown in Tragedy Involving 4-Year-Old

By Anthony DeBarros and Kitty Bean Yancey, USA TODAY
------------------------------------------------------------------------
The death of a 4-year-old boy who lost consciousness on a Walt Disney World thrill ride Monday is still unexplained and has prompted a renewed call for federal monitoring of theme-park safety.

An autopsy Tuesday on Daudi Bamuwamye of Sellersville, Pa., "showed no signs of trauma and no obvious medical issues," says Jim Solomons of the Orange County Sheriff's Office.

The child was carried off the Mission: Space ride by his mother and pronounced dead at a hospital near the Orlando attraction. Further tests will be conducted to determine cause of death, Solomons says.

The $100 million ride simulates a space mission and is billed as offering "sensations similar to what astronauts feel." An inspection by the sheriff's office and Disney found "nothing broken," Solomons says. The ride reopened Tuesday.

"The death of this child is a perfect example of why the federal government should be able to investigate," says Rep. Edward Markey, D-Mass., author of a bill to close a loophole in U.S. law that exempts theme parks from federal oversight.

"The federal government regulates child seats in the back of automobiles ... but not amusement rides that approach G forces that astronauts are exposed to," he says.

State laws on inspection of theme-park rides vary. Fourteen require no inspections.

Though Florida does have state ride inspectors, Disney is exempt because it has more than 1,000 employees and a full-time safety program, says Rob Jacobs, chief of Florida's Bureau of Fair Rides Inspection. Disney does have to file a yearly affidavit that a ride is safe.

"If this had happened at one of Disney's California parks, by law Disney would be required to shut down the ride immediately," says Kathy Fackler of Saferparks, an advocacy group she formed after her son David lost part of his left foot in a roller coaster accident at Disneyland in 1998, when he was 5.

Operators "would not be allowed to reopen the ride until the state was confident" the ride was safe, Fackler says.

Since Mission: Space opened in 2003, seven riders - all but one of them 55 or older - reported problems such as nausea and chest pain. Before boarding, riders are warned about the ride's intensity and told to back out if they suffer from motion sickness or other conditions.

The ride is "fantastic, very realistic - but disconcerting," says Disney World visitor Bill Kalmar, 62, of Lake Orion, Mich.

Disney World's Jacquee Polak says 8.6 million visitors have ridden Mission: Space without incident. There is a 44-inch height requirement, which Daudi met.

In February, a 77-year-old woman with diabetes and other ailments died at Disney World after riding the Pirates of the Caribbean attraction.

06-15-05 07:39 EDT

Copyright 2005 USA TODAY, a division of Gannett Co. Inc. All Rights Reserved.

The Elite Ygseto
06-15-2005, 02:02 PM
I read this yesterday. I've riden that ride and they do give tons and tons of warnings befor you get on. It's an intence ride, that requires you to be able to handle 4-5 Gs. I'm not surprised one bit.

About that woman dieing after riding Pirates of the Caribbean. The Death wasn't related to the ride, if she where riding Its a Small World it still would of happened.

Neo Emolga
06-15-2005, 02:12 PM
Hate to say it, but both this and the case you mentioned toward the end aren't the only casualties of Disney rides. In more cases than just the rides, Disney is reckless, but annoyingly invincible. Another thing they like to do is pay off people in settlements to keep their mouth shut regarding Disney accidents. Nothing I would love more than to see the FBI uncover every disgusting piece of filth Disney has been hiding throughout the years.

I hate to see them open the ride again with no care whatsoever about the casuality, but it if happens again in the near future, it's only going to come back to haunt them.

The Elite Ygseto
06-15-2005, 02:19 PM
The reason they win all of thier cases is becuase they work hard on them. I've only heard of 2 deaths at disney, the one with those car things that go on a track. A employe setped out infrount of one of the cars and got knocked off of the platform. And now this boy thing. They give warnings and the can't be held liable on these things.

Marill
06-18-2005, 03:55 PM
Well, I sort of agree with Ygseto. If you know that there could be a possibility for these happenings, don't partake in them. Six Flags, Disney, and all other sorts of companies have made it apparent that these things can happen. So... if you don't want to risk it, then don't try it. Many people find the thrill in rides because they can be dangerous. It just depends on the people riding, and how each one feels about the potential for disaster.

Guilder
06-20-2005, 02:46 PM
Agreed. There is no thrill without risk, and you should know it's not completely safe to sit in a tiny cart going dozens of miles at heights.

Matt
06-20-2005, 03:07 PM
They know the dangers of these rides. If you are young, you must rely on your parents to make these decisions. If you are very elderly with ailments, it's obvious not to go on this (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stuart.poore/Theme_Parks/Pictures/Pirate_16-09-00.jpg). Ignorance of your safety is no reason to blame disney.

Katera
06-20-2005, 04:43 PM
Man I went on this ride early this year on holiday and had to stay at the house for the last five days of the week I was in Orlando beacuse it crushed my head and I had a five day migraine it was painful so I hate it.

Jack of Clovers
06-21-2005, 06:09 AM
The death of a 4-year-old boy who lost consciousness on a Walt Disney World thrill ride Monday is still unexplained and has prompted a renewed call for federal monitoring of theme-park safety.
bottom line- a 4 YR OLD should not be riding coasters or whatever as intense as that. so maybe there's a hight requirement... bah. the kid was 4 YRS OLD. I see no problem why the parents shouldn't sue Disney for that mistake. though, if the parents sue, Disney can fight back saying it's the parents responsibility for their child and they allowed their child to ride it.

coaster deaths happen less than plane crashes. plane crashes happen far less than car crashes. yet the news shows/covers coaster and plane crashes more than car crashes and goes further into detail on what happend and thus we think more coster/plane deaths occur. the media turns a hill into a mountain.

~Jack~

Katera
06-21-2005, 03:35 PM
bottom line- a 4 YR OLD should not be riding coasters or whatever as intense as that. so maybe there's a hight requirement... bah. the kid was 4 YRS OLD. I see no problem why the parents shouldn't sue Disney for that mistake. though, if the parents sue, Disney can fight back saying it's the parents responsibility for their child and they allowed their child to ride it.

coaster deaths happen less than plane crashes. plane crashes happen far less than car crashes. yet the news shows/covers coaster and plane crashes more than car crashes and goes further into detail on what happend and thus we think more coster/plane deaths occur. the media turns a hill into a mountain.

~Jack~

True true but its still an evil ride lol the stupid parents shouldn't have let him on it anyway.