PDA

View Full Version : Novels with a "Lasting" Effect...

Bryce
10-21-2008, 09:06 AM
Okay, so, I just finished Stephen Chbosky's The Perks of Being a Wallflower, and I can honestly say that it was the best novel I have ever read... It tapped into so many of my emotions, and was so incredibly relate-able not only to my own experiences, but also to those of others my age.

Truly, it has had a lasting effect on me, and as corny as it sounds, it has changed the way I look at the world and view new situations, as well as people in general... (Blah. It was so good, it at least needed to be mentioned in a thread... If not having one dedicated to it. xD)

Andddd, I was just wondering if any of you have read a book like this, that you can look back on and remember how it influenced your views and such... Please don't post here telling how much Harry Potter made you see the world in a whole new "magical" way, or something... Only if a book really has impacted you.

http://www.thekanoodler.com/images/theperksofbeingawallflower.jpg

:3

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:nh1R54ljubz-JM:http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z303/_r-andre-robi-/perks.jpg

Fire Away
10-21-2008, 09:39 AM
To Kill A Mockingbird really resonated with me as a reader. The symbolism of innocence, its destruction, and its portrayal of Southern life was all so wonderfully done. Harper Lee's storytelling ability is excellent as well.

Though not a novel, the play The Crucible can open your eyes to a lot of things. The imperfectness of the legal system and the evil mankind can inflict upon each other to name a few.

RawrIsMyMiddleName
10-22-2008, 11:12 PM
I read this book a long time ago I miss it so much. :P I think I'm going to read it again. A Separate Peace - John Knowles. Haha, I don't know much about it anymore.

I am so naming my son Phineas now. /lame

DragoniteMistress
10-22-2008, 11:14 PM
To Kill A Mockingbird really resonated with me as a reader. The symbolism of innocence, its destruction, and its portrayal of Southern life was all so wonderfully done. Harper Lee's storytelling ability is excellent as well.

Though not a novel, the play The Crucible can open your eyes to a lot of things. The imperfectness of the legal system and the evil mankind can inflict upon each other to name a few.

I read both of those in the past year, and I'd really have to say I agree xD

A book that had a relatively big impact on me, though - Pandemia by Johnathon Rand & Christopher Knight.

avinash
10-22-2008, 11:15 PM
a novel called RavenQuest was a book of legends. It was as realistic as hell, and it really clinged. That was the first time I read a 300 page book in one day (I was awake for 24 hours!)

Charbok
10-24-2008, 12:30 AM
Well, the Twilight series owned, but that doesn't really count.

Read it.

GreenRampage
10-24-2008, 02:09 AM

:P Those are both books I've read for school in the last year

Anyway, as weird as it sounds, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy helped me calm down during some stressful times, so I guess that would for me :oops:

Soda
10-24-2008, 07:15 PM
I don't read many interesting books, they're so hard to find. and Chelsea Handler's Autobiography isn't really a novel.

'The Giver' was pretty own.

@Charbok: Lol, Twilight. I hate those books. :P Way too girly, and that's saying something since I'm obsessed with Britney Spears.

Poring
10-24-2008, 07:24 PM
I read this book a long time ago I miss it so much. :P I think I'm going to read it again. A Separate Peace - John Knowles. Haha, I don't know much about it anymore.

I am so naming my son Phineas now. /lame

Yes, that was a good book. Poor Leper.

Read it.

That too.

Frozen_in_Time
10-24-2008, 07:24 PM
Sophie's World....
I haven't read it (XD) But I can guess...
Also, Inkheart by Cornelia Funke ^^

Stinky
10-24-2008, 08:48 PM
Anyway, as weird as it sounds, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy helped me calm down during some stressful times, so I guess that would for me :oops:

I'm reading this right now; I really like it. ^_^

Tuesdays with Morrie and The Five People You Meet In Heaven were really influential on me, as well as Wicked.

Dancing Mad
10-30-2008, 04:50 AM

I loved To Kill a Mockingbird. It was just wow.

Also reading the Crucible right now in Juniors Honors English and I love the parallels to the Salem Witch Hunt to the Red Scare and also to the modern day world.

Charbok
10-30-2008, 04:52 AM
I loved To Kill a Mockingbird. It was just wow.

Also reading the Crucible right now in Juniors Honors English and I love the parallels to the Salem Witch Hunt to the Red Scare and also to the modern day world.

*coughcoughpatriotactcoughmichellebachmancoughcoug h*

Professor Geoffrey
10-30-2008, 11:54 PM
Breaking Dawn and New Moon.

They were just... wow.

New Moon was an amazing book, because it reminded me of how I felt about how depressed I was when many things have turned bad, and then I look at Bella, and I feel lucky. Lucky that my parents divorced. Lucky that I have to wake up each day living the same life. Lucky that... oh, the list goes on and on. But anyway... It reminded me of when I was in such a depression where I couldn't be helped. No one could. So, I tried helping myself. And that depression was actually fixed when I joined PE2K, so, without PE2K, who knows where I might have ended up in life.

Breaking Dawn was just... different... it showed me we really have more hope in this world than I thought we had. Well, any world that consists of God should be hopeful, right? It is true, but there's a lot of stuff that's been happening lately, it isn't even funny as to how little hope I should have now...

I wish I could say something about my favorite book, Inkheart... Hmm... Well, I guess it is another good symbol for hope... and being creative, that's for sure. xD

The Jr Trainer
10-31-2008, 12:06 AM
Frozen Fire will have an everlasting effect on me; it might've been fictional (very, very fictional) but it sure was relate-able to.

I also read the Series of Unfortunate Events in like 6th grade, and I like them. :3 Not that that has anything to do with this thread...

Uomo
11-01-2008, 11:00 PM
The Outsiders almost made me want to scream; it was that emotional.

But the ending was laaaaame. D:

BlueFang
11-01-2008, 11:21 PM
I liked Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - so lolz.

Inkheart was awesome, but Inkspell I honestly don't think much of at all...

I really loved the His Dark Materials series - how the characters are so fearless and free, yet manage to stay out of trouble and hold their heads up high. The way it's described and the settings - the ideas of Daemons and the similarities and differences of all the worlds involved, that's all brilliant. I strongly recommend these books (Northern Lights, The Subtle Knife, The Amber Spyglass) by Philip Pullman.

The Sherlock Holmes book, 'Study in Scarlet' was an incredibly good read, even though it was written so long ago. For a couple of weeks after I read that, I was hunting for clues for just about anything, from finding where the cookie jar had been hidden to...finding where the cookie jar had been hidden. ^^"

A Wizard form Earthsea is also one of my absolute favourites; about a young man (Ged) who becomes a wizard and...well, that would be ruining the story, wouldn't it? Heh, Ged accidentally lets loose a dead spirit into the world, and it keeps following him. Many things happen in this book, and I'm only halfway through it!! I'll keep reading, and then I'll move onto the next book in the series.